[Report] Conor Garland given permission to seek trade

It’s too bad. I was actually excited to acquire Garland. I know the trade ruined us for years to come but I thought Garland was a great addition. Unfortunately it hasn’t worked out like I had hoped. I also expected him to get top 6 minutes and that never happened either. Oh well 

• Cheers 3

Benning’s legacy… He drafted a few very good players… And he made a lot of bonehead trades and abysmal player acquisitions… ie) The OEL CG trade - all in all he did more harm than good… kept stalling the car for years and years - The new regime that has been installed seems to be making good choices and leading this team in the right direction… There seems to be optimism and hope for a brighter day… This team will be back on track in a year or two…

Edited by I.AM.THE.WALRUS
  • Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

His ability to bring in dud after dud on D was truly astounding. I don’t know how anyone ever paid him to be a scout.

Myers

OEL

Gudbranson

Sbisa

Del Zotto

Schmidt

Hamonic

Dermott

Poolman

Benn

Juolevi

Pouliot

Larsen

Like you wanna know why we never made the playoffs just refer to that list. The man should have been fired long before he could trade for OEL based on the failures he had. Somehow he continued to rest on his laurels of drafting Petey and Hughes though…

God that list makes me shudder!

• Sad 3

1 hour ago, canuck73_3 said:

Markstrom ain't trash but moving on from him was the right move the downside being we were in the playoffs and unable to move him for a decent return.

I do agree the backup money could have been better spent too. 

I preferred the keeping Demko move myself, but either one is a defensible move and considering how both have played.  Either one has been good.

If some blue chip prospect or Schneider level pick was offered for Demko… a Vezina calibre Markstrom who might not have as many in him isn’t a bad option B.

18 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Nope he’ll be here all season.

He can boost his value this season and find a new team once the cap rises.

We don’t have anyone to replace his 15-20 goals right now so he ain’t going anywhere.

That would be a great scenario. I just wonder if Tocc will put him in any position to achieve that. Hopefully he does. 

I actually really liked the Garland, Suter, Höglander line from pre season. All smaller guys but I thought they generated a ton of chances together. 

15 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Nope he’ll be here all season.

He can boost his value this season and find a new team once the cap rises.

We don’t have anyone to replace his 15-20 goals right now so he ain’t going anywhere.

I agree, like it or not he is currently one of our better players. Not in the elite group of course, but that is a thin group. Yes, we have a ton of wingers, most are not as good as Garland.

• Vintage 1

6 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

His ability to bring in dud after dud on D was truly astounding. I don’t know how anyone ever paid him to be a scout.

Myers

OEL

Gudbranson

Sbisa

Del Zotto

Schmidt

Hamonic

Dermott

Poolman

Benn

Juolevi

Pouliot

Larsen

Like you wanna know why we never made the playoffs just refer to that list. The man should have been fired long before he could trade for OEL based on the failures he had. Somehow he continued to rest on his laurels of drafting Petey and Hughes though…

For someone who know how to find and draft young talent,its  unbelievable he wasn't able to  sign good players.

45 minutes ago, Jeremy Hronek said:

Exactly.  This is one thing that I do not like about our current management.  

They have a tendency to make these 'weird announcements' and/or let this kind of crap go public which potentially leads to distractions within the lockerroom.  

We all saw what happened last season.  

I also don't understand this Garland hate.  The guy is a good hockey player that just needs to play in a structured system.  He was good in Arizona (under Tocchet), and was good under Travis Green.   

If Philly is looking to take on salary, Boeser or Myers is the guy you move.  

Lol you’ve gone insane 

• ThereItIs 1

15 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Myers

OEL

Gudbranson

Sbisa

Del Zotto

Schmidt

Hamonic

Dermott

Poolman

Benn

Juolevi

Pouliot

Larsen

yeah, i have to admit that's a bad list of defensemen. 

soooo, apparently Garland requested a trade in the summer and it never materialized, hence the current situation. AND, we expect to have to retain salary:

Garland stickhandles trade-request questions on eve of Canucks opener

Conor Garland didn’t have much to say today, after his desire for the Vancouver Canucks to trade him was first made public.

The 27-year-old winger didn’t confirm that he wants to be traded, but he didn’t deny it either.

“I’m just really more focused on tomorrow’s game,” Garland said, dodging the first of many questions about his current status from reporters after practice at Rogers Arena. “We put in a lot of work these past couple of weeks to get ready. Big test against a really, really good team. So we’re just all excited to get going tomorrow.”

Garland was asked about it again. But he wasn’t having it.

“That’s not my focus. That’s [my agent’s] focus. My focus is on tomorrow night and having a good practice today.”

Garland did confirm that he hired a new agent within the last couple of days, reportedly Judd Moldaver, who also represents Connor McDavid and Auston Matthews.

But when pressed another time, Garland gave the excuse that he’s simply a hockey player, and has no knowledge of potential trade requests.

“That’s his business, right? That’s not my business. I’m not an agent. I’m a hockey player. I play hockey.”

Garland didn’t hesitate when asked if he’s happy being a member of the Canucks though.

“Yeah, I mean why wouldn’t I be? I’ve been here for two years. I have some really good friends here.”

It would be understandable for him to want to run for the hills after the last two seasons the Canucks have produced.

When it was suggested that a good start might quiet down the potential distraction, Garland seemed to bristle at the media.

“Oh no, not with you guys. You guys love this stuff, right? No distractions go away.”

Not sure anyone’s buying the explanation today, but there isn’t much Garland can say. Garland may want a trade, and management may be happy to deal him. Moving his hefty contract is the problem.

Follow-up reports suggest that Garland’s trade request is actually nothing new.

Garland asked for a trade in the summer, according to Jason Gregor of Sports 1440 radio in Edmonton, but he was difficult to move given his $4.95 million cap hit on a contract that has three years left.

TSN’s Chris Johnston reports that the Canucks know they will need to retain salary in a potential Garland trade.

Since arriving in Vancouver at the start of the 2021-22 season, Garland has played for three head coaches, and has bounced around the lineup. Garland scored 52 points (19-33-52) in 77 games during his first year in Vancouver in 2021-22, and had 46 points (17-29-46) in 81 games last season.

The Massachusetts native played three seasons under Tocchet in Arizona, with a reasonable amount of success. And he should be put into a position to succeed on opening night.

Garland is lining up on the Canucks’ top line at the moment, with Elias Pettersson and Andrei Kuzmenko.

We’ll see if a market opens up for Garland, and perhaps one does if he scores at an improved clip this season. He’ll be featured on the second power-play unit, which looks to be improved with the addition of Filip Hronek.

https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/garland-trade-request-questions-canucks

Edited by RWJC
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, Lemon Face said:

For someone who know how to find and draft young talent,its  unbelievable he wasn't able to  sign good players.

Yea. The rumor was that he wanted to draft Cody Glass. Glass is a bust. Could you imagine where this team would be if we had Glass instead of Petey? 

Oh My God Wow GIF by reactionseditor

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, RWJC said:

soooo, apparently Garland requested a trade in the summer and it never materialized, hence the current situation:

Garland stickhandles trade-request questions on eve of Canucks opener

Conor Garland didn’t have much to say today, after his desire for the Vancouver Canucks to trade him was first made public.

The 27-year-old winger didn’t confirm that he wants to be traded, but he didn’t deny it either.

“I’m just really more focused on tomorrow’s game,” Garland said, dodging the first of many questions about his current status from reporters after practice at Rogers Arena. “We put in a lot of work these past couple of weeks to get ready. Big test against a really, really good team. So we’re just all excited to get going tomorrow.”

Garland was asked about it again. But he wasn’t having it.

“That’s not my focus. That’s [my agent’s] focus. My focus is on tomorrow night and having a good practice today.”

Garland did confirm that he hired a new agent within the last couple of days, reportedly Judd Moldaver, who also represents Connor McDavid and Auston Matthews.

But when pressed another time, Garland gave the excuse that he’s simply a hockey player, and has no knowledge of potential trade requests.

“That’s his business, right? That’s not my business. I’m not an agent. I’m a hockey player. I play hockey.”

Garland didn’t hesitate when asked if he’s happy being a member of the Canucks though.

“Yeah, I mean why wouldn’t I be? I’ve been here for two years. I have some really good friends here.”

It would be understandable for him to want to run for the hills after the last two seasons the Canucks have produced.

When it was suggested that a good start might quiet down the potential distraction, Garland seemed to bristle at the media.

“Oh no, not with you guys. You guys love this stuff, right? No distractions go away.”

Not sure anyone’s buying the explanation today, but there isn’t much Garland can say. Garland may want a trade, and management may be happy to deal him. Moving his hefty contract is the problem.

Follow-up reports suggest that Garland’s trade request is actually nothing new.

Garland asked for a trade in the summer, according to Jason Gregor of Sports 1440 radio in Edmonton, but he was difficult to move given his $4.95 million cap hit on a contract that has three years left.

TSN’s Chris Johnston reports that the Canucks know they will need to retain salary in a potential Garland trade.

Since arriving in Vancouver at the start of the 2021-22 season, Garland has played for three head coaches, and has bounced around the lineup. Garland scored 52 points (19-33-52) in 77 games during his first year in Vancouver in 2021-22, and had 46 points (17-29-46) in 81 games last season.

The Massachusetts native played three seasons under Tocchet in Arizona, with a reasonable amount of success. And he should be put into a position to succeed on opening night.

Garland is lining up on the Canucks’ top line at the moment, with Elias Pettersson and Andrei Kuzmenko.

We’ll see if a market opens up for Garland, and perhaps one does if he scores at an improved clip this season. He’ll be featured on the second power-play unit, which looks to be improved with the addition of Filip Hronek.

https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/garland-trade-request-questions-canucks

I dunno. I like Garland. I know he's small, but 50 points in his first season, and then 46 isn't bad. That's top six numbers isn't it? We need more top six guys who can produce offense, don't we? Maybe Tocchet can help turn his career around. Vancouver hasn't been kind to players the last few seasons, and especially the Benning years. That was just God awful. 

5 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

I dunno. I like Garland. I know he's small, but 50 points in his first season, and then 46 isn't bad. That's top six numbers isn't it? We need more top six guys who can produce offense, don't we? Maybe Tocchet can help turn his career around. Vancouver hasn't been kind to players the last few seasons, and especially the Benning years. That was just God awful. 

I like him too, but I think we need to better distribute his cap hit. Especially now with Soucy out. 

If Garland had proven he belongs in a top 6 role by complimenting the play of his linemates, he’d still be there without question. Problem is, he can’t outperform those above him and his price point then makes him a liability. It’s just too bad he Luongo’d himself by agreeing to the deal (“my contract sucks”), but who would turn down that amount of coin. 

28 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Myers

OEL

Gudbranson

Sbisa

Del Zotto

Schmidt

Hamonic

Dermott

Poolman

Benn

Juolevi

Pouliot

Larsen

It feels like if you just randomly picked guys you could never do this badly. I don't blame these players, though, ( I know you don't either) many played hard, just overpaid and expected to play above their abilities. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

44 minutes ago, AnthonyG said:

We had several pending UFAs along with the upcoming negotiations of what REALLY mattered, the RFAs. Plus no certainty of any cap increase for the foreseeable future. Cut bait with the UFAs, avoid long term, get short term UFAs in preparation for any cap increase and make certain to get the RFAs inked.

Now you're focusing on one short period, the "We ran out of time" period? That was a huge fail, but just one of many. The only relevance to this thread out of the tenure is that GMJB TRADED AWAY a first round pick for another team's albatross cap dump contract. A bold, fresh move for sure. Most GMs would have ACQUIRED a first round pick (at least) to take on such a contract.

23 minutes ago, RWJC said:

I like him too, but I think we need to better distribute his cap hit. Especially now with Soucy out. 

If Garland had proven he belongs in a top 6 role by complimenting the play of his linemates, he’d still be there without question. Problem is, he can’t outperform those above him and his price point then makes him a liability. It’s just too bad he Luongo’d himself by agreeing to the deal (“my contract sucks”), but who would turn down that amount of coin. 

Valid, if we can make a trade for a solid Dman, that would be good, (or just get the cap space) don't know if that's possible though.

But, who do you have above him on RW? Honest question.