[Report] Conor Garland given permission to seek trade

18 minutes ago, Got the Babych said:

Valid, if we can make a trade for a solid Dman, that would be good, (or just get the cap space) don't know if that's possible though.

But, who do you have above him on RW? Honest question.

Boeser can finish and has shown chemistry with both EP and JTM.

He’s also redundant in anything but a top 6 role so he’s there by default (and salary). 

Mik has wheels (hopefully still does), can play a solid two way game, is larger and can handle physical work, and is potentially the ideal partner for EP and Kuz. 

Those two place higher than Garland in what they offer. Garland may have been able to displace Mik but it never transpired organically -it only due occurred to injury and necessity. Wasn’t an ideal. And can’t honestly say he made his linemates any better in that time. 

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, AnthonyG said:

We had several pending UFAs along with the upcoming negotiations of what REALLY mattered, the RFAs. Plus no certainty of any cap increase for the foreseeable future. Cut bait with the UFAs, avoid long term, get short term UFAs in preparation for any cap increase and make certain to get the RFAs inked.

Then when all your disastrous short term signings (3 years is not short term btw) have one year left, go and trade all that soon to be expired cap plus a top 10 pick and a high 2nd to replace that cap for 5 years of a rapidly declining dman who was redundant on your roster and a tiny winger who plays a completely one man show type game. 

Ya Jimbo sure had a great strategy going. 

That one trade is the most negative impact trade in Canucks history bar none. 

Edited by WSAcanuck
  • Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

2 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

The media must be jizzin in their jeans for this story. 

It’s a Jim Benning enthusiast’s wet dream.  Time to dredge up all the old jokes and make the next “Stanchies” or whatever they’re called now.

THANK YOU JUM! RAN OUT OF TIME! LOUI ERIKSSON MAKING A FUNNY FACE!  HAHAHA! ASSET MANAGEMENT!  FLEECED! ITS A SBISA PIZZA! AND HE’LL SEND A 2ND ROUND PICK TOO! HAHAHA! CAP HELL! JAKE VIRTANEN!  CAPPED OUT! LETS FLY A BANNER!  JUDD BRACKET! HAHAHA!  TAKE IT DAY BY DAY! OEL! BENNING BROS!  THE OTHER GM IS PROBABLY LAUGHING! TIDY PIECE OF BUSINESS! WE ARE ALL LAUGHING! CHAOS GIRAFFE!  OLLI JUOLEVI LYING DOWN PICTURE!  SIGN A 4TH LINER TO A 5x5 DEAL! WHY IS NOONE DRAFTING KOLE LIND! HAHAHA! DOM’S MODEL! SHREWD MOVE!  CAP SPACE! LISA NEEDS BRACES! CAP SPACE! LISANEEDSBRACESCAPSPACELISANEEDSBRAXESCAPSPACEJRBDKAA

• Haha 1
  • Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Jaimito said:

I don't think it's a big deal. 

Better now than mid season 

I can't stand 'spec'. He feels inclined to throw in that smug, gloating little McWeeney burn while pretending we forgot about the dunce caps that needed 10 top 5 picks in a row and won 2 draft lotteries in a row before they started winning.

Bettman could see that they were so stupid, he needed to gift them a couple of draft lotteries or they'd never win.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, RWJC said:

Boeser can finish and has shown chemistry with both EP and JTM.

He’s also redundant in anything but a top 6 role so he’s there by default (and salary). 

Mik has wheels (hopefully still does), can play a solid two way game, is larger and can handle physical work, and is potentially the ideal partner for EP and Kuz. 

Those two place higher than Garland in what they offer. Garland may have been able to displace Mik but it never transpired organically -it only due occurred to injury and necessity. Wasn’t an ideal. And can’t honestly say he made his linemates any better in that time. 

Yeah, I agree, but I don't think there's a huge drop in talent between those two and Garland. And the drop off below Garland IS huge. BB looks great and I'm hoping for a big year, but...we'll see. Until proven differently, we have to expect about 50 games from Mik, so what happens then?

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Attila Umbrus said:

Oh man, I did not see this tweet lol. This explains more why a trade hasn’t happened. Ouch…kinda like Myers contract.  Only this year in September his contract actually became trade able. Didn’t realize Garlands is loaded like that too.

Ya it’s actually brutal. 

I don’t even understand the logic of the agent change at camp..

like at least see how the ice time goes first 9-15 games of season.

it’s very possible he has better opportunity to produce this season start compared to last year with an improved pp2 unit with Hronek, a better team and he could get top 6 shots since mik hurt, and hoglander / AB haven’t run away with the spot. 

it just distracts the team, the fan base and hurts his chance to showcase himself best. If he’s not buying in to what we are doing I can’t imagine that helping him with the coaching staff either.

and his contract is like sat said  almost completely unmovable 

see what happens but I find it annoying.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Got the Babych said:

Valid, if we can make a trade for a solid Dman, that would be good, (or just get the cap space) don't know if that's possible though.

But, who do you have above him on RW? Honest question.

Don't think a trade is coming in tomorrow. I think it's just too rushed, but could be talks early in the season, for a trade later in the season. 

29 minutes ago, R3aL said:

Ya it’s actually brutal. 

I don’t even understand the logic of the agent change at camp..

like at least see how the ice time goes first 9-15 games of season.

it’s very possible he has better opportunity to produce this season start compared to last year with an improved pp2 unit with Hronek, a better team and he could get top 6 shots since mik hurt, and hoglander / AB haven’t run away with the spot. 

it just distracts the team, the fan base and hurts his chance to showcase himself best. If he’s not buying in to what we are doing I can’t imagine that helping him with the coaching staff either.

and his contract is like sat said  almost completely unmovable 

see what happens but I find it annoying.

Yeah, the timing of this coming out is, well, horrid. Just not great the night before the opening of the regular season. This team needs less distractions, not more. If Garland doesn't want to be here, then the team needs to eventually find a way to off-load him, even if it means taking a loss (whatever that means). 

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Got the Babych said:

Most GMs would have ACQUIRED a first round pick (at least) to take on such a contract.

Yeah, for sure. To take on a massive contract like that, at the time that OEL had (what was it, 7 or 8 years??), Arizona should have been giving us a first round pick to take OEL. What was Benning thinking? 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • ThereItIs 1

10 hours ago, Conscience said:

I'm tired of people saying his drafting was good. There were some major misses, Hughes fell into his lap anyone would have made that pick and Pettersson was the only real choice that worked out. 

Anehiem and san jose were still competitive and the for ducks having started rebuilding after us they aren't far behind.

As for comparing to Arizona lol, what a benchmark.

Yes, batting .500 on top ten picks is below average.

Two of his top ten picks aren’t even in the league anymore and never amounted to anything.  Another one in Podkolzin is trending down if you did a redraft, but may still pan out to be a middle six player.

All reports are that he had to be heavily convinced to take Petterson over his choice of Glass.  Hughes was a win, but that was a mistake by the guys ahead of him with a no brainer falling to him.  He was rated where he was taken or higher by every major list.  It was guys being taken earlier than their rankings that gave us the gift.  Kotkaniemi and Hayton were ranked below him but taken early.

• ThereItIs 2

4 minutes ago, Provost said:

Two of his top ten picks aren’t even in the league anymore and never amounted to anything.  Another one in Podkolzin is trending down if you did a redraft, but may still pan out to be a middle six player.

All reports are that he had to be heavily convinced to take Petterson over his choice of Glass.  Hughes was a win, but that was a mistake by the guys ahead of him with a no brainer falling to him.  He was rated where he was taken or higher by every major list.  It was guys being taken earlier than their rankings that gave us the gift.  Kotkaniemi and Hayton were ranked below him but taken early.

I do give him some credit for picking EP but none really for Hughes. That was a layup after Detroit went crazy. 
Thing about Benning was his drafting was still his best feature.  Not because he was good but because his pro-scouting was up there with league history worst and his cap management was embarrassing. 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, The Duke said:

It’s a Jim Benning enthusiast’s wet dream.  Time to dredge up all the old jokes and make the next “Stanchies” or whatever they’re called now.

THANK YOU JUM! RAN OUT OF TIME! LOUI ERIKSSON MAKING A FUNNY FACE!  HAHAHA! ASSET MANAGEMENT!  FLEECED! ITS A SBISA PIZZA! AND HE’LL SEND A 2ND ROUND PICK TOO! HAHAHA! CAP HELL! JAKE VIRTANEN!  CAPPED OUT! LETS FLY A BANNER!  JUDD BRACKET! HAHAHA!  TAKE IT DAY BY DAY! OEL! BENNING BROS!  THE OTHER GM IS PROBABLY LAUGHING! TIDY PIECE OF BUSINESS! WE ARE ALL LAUGHING! CHAOS GIRAFFE!  OLLI JUOLEVI LYING DOWN PICTURE!  SIGN A 4TH LINER TO A 5x5 DEAL! WHY IS NOONE DRAFTING KOLE LIND! HAHAHA! DOM’S MODEL! SHREWD MOVE!  CAP SPACE! LISA NEEDS BRACES! CAP SPACE! LISANEEDSBRACESCAPSPACELISANEEDSBRAXESCAPSPACEJRBDKAA

Dental plan...

All in favour ...... "Nay"

Who keeps saying that? 

It was him, get em fellas. 

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

yeah, i have to admit that's a bad list of defensemen. 

It's not actually THAT bad of a list. Most of those guys can/could play legit hockey. Some even at a relatively high level. A lot of them went on to do exactly that on other teams (and a lot of the lesser guys went on as solid role players elsewhere).

What they weren't, was a good fit HERE, with the personnel/roles we had. Nor was anything seemingly done to try to actually get them complementary partners/roles.

Benning was ok at collecting decent parts. What he was awful at, was actually assembling complementary parts in to a cohesive TEAM.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 3

2 hours ago, DrJockitch said:

I do give him some credit for picking EP but none really for Hughes. That was a layup after Detroit went crazy. 
Thing about Benning was his drafting was still his best feature.  Not because he was good but because his pro-scouting was up there with league history worst and his cap management was embarrassing. 

Yes his drafting was his best aspect.  At most you can grade it as slightly below average though. 

18 hours ago, King Heffy said:

Organizational culture needs to be changed from the top down, starting with the worthless piece of trash in the President's office.

As a doctoral student in the field of business and leadership, I think organizational development, change management, and practical leadership can be summed up with the following contrast: resonant leadership versus discordant leadership.  The Canucks need leaders with emotional intelligence. Hughes, for his part, seems to have the vibe of the room.  But you are correct! Management seems aloof at the vibe of the fans more than the vibe of the players.

Edited by The Colt 45s

7 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

Yeah, the timing of this coming out is, well, horrid. Just not great the night before the opening of the regular season. This team needs less distractions, not more. If Garland doesn't want to be here, then the team needs to eventually find a way to off-load him, even if it means taking a loss (whatever that means). 

Maybe...just maybe...This won't be a huge distraction as it kind of sounds like the Canucks have been trying to get him out all Summer. 

The problem is now, do you play him? What if he gets hurt? As it is, you're not getting much back and you're retaining salary on a player that doesn't want to be here, but if he gets hurt then it's just another albatross around the clubs neck. 

I'd love to see him go today, for literally anything..Retain 50% for this season and get a 5th? Fine, F him, get him out.  

13 hours ago, D.B Cooper said:

Man, I wish I had half the knowledge and experience you seem to have.  
You are easily the smartest guy on the boards. 
Even when pretty well everyone here disagrees with you, you just keep being a total arrogant jerk that is 100% convinced he is right.  
It’s pretty wild to see.  
And now for some reason you have included me into your mess of a conversation, when up until 30 seconds ago, I had no idea you existed. 
Cool dude.  
Great game!

Keep it up!

827qw5.jpg.fa74a3fe80ec7218a9de45027985319d.jpg

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Provost said:

Round And Round Sport GIF by US National Archives

Mental gymnastics to avoid admitting that our drafting was above average. 

You and @Conscience will represent us in the Olympics 

• Confused 1
  • Cheers 1