[Report] Conor Garland given permission to seek trade

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

It's not actually THAT bad of a list. Most of those guys can/could play legit hockey. Some even at a relatively high level. A lot of them went on to do exactly that on other teams (and a lot of the lesser guys went on as solid role players elsewhere).

What they weren't, was a good fit HERE, with the personnel/roles we had. Nor was anything seemingly done to try to actually get them complementary partners/roles.

Benning was ok at collecting decent parts. What he was awful at, was actually assembling complementary parts in to a cohesive TEAM.

And this is everything in building a team. 

• Cheers 1

per Jeff Patterson, Columbus will be scratching Boqvist and Port Moody's very own Kent Johnson tonight!!

Can we just PLEASE make a deal to shake up this team?? Columbus got $3M in cap space.. so this trade would work:

To CBJ: Garland, Rathbone, Podkolzin, picks and/or prospects

To VAN: Boqvist, K. Johnson

It's a pretty fair deal tbh.....

1 hour ago, Joey Ramone said:

Maybe...just maybe...This won't be a huge distraction as it kind of sounds like the Canucks have been trying to get him out all Summer. 

The problem is now, do you play him? What if he gets hurt? As it is, you're not getting much back and you're retaining salary on a player that doesn't want to be here, but if he gets hurt then it's just another albatross around the clubs neck. 

I'd love to see him go today, for literally anything..Retain 50% for this season and get a 5th? Fine, F him, get him out.  

Yeah, I understand the sentiment of wanting him out ASAP especially if he's not wanting to be here. This team needs everyone on board, pulling the same way, and if Garland isn't doing that, then he needs to go. But at the same time, you don't want to just get rid of an asset just for anything. 

8 minutes ago, RakuRaku said:

per Jeff Patterson, Columbus will be scratching Boqvist and Port Moody's very own Kent Johnson tonight!!

Can we just PLEASE make a deal to shake up this team?? Columbus got $3M in cap space.. so this trade would work:

Kent Johnson is pretty amazing player. I don't think he's going anywhere to be honest. But then again, I don't follow Columbus and what's going on with their organization so I have no idea. Maybe he's on the trade block? I'd be very surprised if he were though. Boqvist I can see being moved. Smallish RHD. 

• Cheers 2

5 minutes ago, Joey Ramone said:

Yep...100% 

Thus the ebb and flow of all things Canuck...

Fuck

Haha. No worries. Eventually this will all be done. Garland will either play out his contract the next three years here, or he will be moved. 

Enjoy the day. It's beautiful outside, and, it's GAME DAY! 

Happy Chris Hemsworth GIF by Marvel Studios

• Cheers 1

23 minutes ago, RakuRaku said:

1. Boqvist is not the D man who we would need...

2. I doubt CBJ moves Kent Johnson, he cupid be a future 1C for them...

3. If we are trading for KJ we would need to add significantly to that package 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

12 minutes ago, canucks curse said:

1. Boqvist is not the D man who we would need...

2. I doubt CBJ moves Kent Johnson, he cupid be a future 1C for them...

3. If we are trading for KJ we would need to add significantly to that package 

Well then let's do a blockbuster!! It's long overdue to shake up this team 

3 hours ago, aGENT said:

It's not actually THAT bad of a list. Most of those guys can/could play legit hockey. Some even at a relatively high level. A lot of them went on to do exactly that on other teams (and a lot of the lesser guys went on as solid role players elsewhere).

What they weren't, was a good fit HERE, with the personnel/roles we had. Nor was anything seemingly done to try to actually get them complementary partners/roles.

Benning was ok at collecting decent parts. What he was awful at, was actually assembling complementary parts in to a cohesive TEAM.

I agree, for sure.

Also, the main balance of Benning’s term had either zero top end talent or top end talent that was still too young to carry a team.

I don’t think that helped his (overpaid) support pieces do the job. A lot of them were serviceable players asked to do too much… but in hindsight we see them all as one big Loui Eriksson.

• Cheers 1

16 hours ago, RWJC said:

You’re the only being toxic right now. That’s the sad irony here.

I feel pity for you that you can’t even see that. It’s embarrassing. 

heffy is permanent cyanide. shrill, hyberbolic, juvenile, sky-is-falling nonsense. 

I've blocked him, as I did on the previous forum, but I wish I didn't need to. I'm open to whatever (bad, dumb, wrong) arguments he wants to make, but the way he makes them is insufferable. 

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, The Duke said:

I would have liked to see Garland with Raty and Suter on a 3rd line next year.

3rd line, limited PP opportunity is probably why he wants out, though.  

Hard to imagine him being the 5th wheel for Hughes-Petey-Miller-Kuz.

He's delusional if he thinks that's who he is. 

Cut ties, get rid of all the Benning stink.

At this point I'd welcome a scorched earth rebuild I'm over it.

5 hours ago, DrJockitch said:

I do give him some credit for picking EP but none really for Hughes. That was a layup after Detroit went crazy. 
Thing about Benning was his drafting was still his best feature.  Not because he was good but because his pro-scouting was up there with league history worst and his cap management was embarrassing. 

Too many people giving him credit for drafting , just because he was a scout in Boston at one time

I thought he came here as a GM and not a scout?

Every good GM (omit JB) says the draft day is the scouts day to shine

In 2017 Pres. Trevor Linden turned the 2017 NHL entry draft over to Brackett team and it's when our better players were drafted

In 2018 JB told Aqua he could make this a winning team and sided over TL (how well did that go)?

In 2020 JB had released, or scouts had left and he hired Chris Gear so he and  his buddy (un)Weis could have more fun scouting instead of managing the team, budget, players and draft (how well did that turn out)?

When JB was fired Smyl talked about how the 2 had kept everything to themselves and obviously were not a management team (rather a mismanagement team)

He had no idea how to build a team and built it from the 4th line out using cap and assets, that either sat on our bench, other teams bench or in the minors and used more assets to get rid of them !

The role of the GM is to Manage.

GM is above the coach and can manage trades, team composition, hiring coaches and staff, salary issues/caps, sort of everything strategic about the team.(which is why he was not a good GM)

He kept this team at the bottom of the NHL and in 8 yrs had great opportunity to build with high 1st and 2nd round picks etc, while accumulating more picks from other teams, instead he kept us at the cap and the bottom

We should have been amassing more picks than our own , for when EP and Hughes OEL contracts neared expired that we had very good affordable options to insert once we had to start paying them

I didn't even want to respond to this, because most are aware of how bad he was at managing this team 

It is the past, and best to leave in the past, as it was bad enough to live for all those years before

It was such a bad time and depressing, and I will try to refrain from bringing his name and those sad times 

I now see a Management team that appreciates different opinions with staff and not wanting yes men types

Even though they still have their hands tied, I see a actual plan and prudent moves and building this team out from the Goalie out (instead of the 4th line)

The Caps are in a tough spot because I don't think they are good enough to compete with the top team in the east but also not bad enough to bottom out and start rebuilding with Ovi still there. I wonder if we could structure a trade around:

To WSH:

Garland 

Podz

To Van:

Mantha

Iorio 

Washington will not want to give up Iorio but I also don't think Van is ready to give up Podz. To me, Garland has more value right now than Mantha but not sure is that gap is big enough between them to offset the Iorio-Podz move. Maybe there are some minor pieces that go along with this to balance but the money is close enough to start the conversation. 

I would love to add Iorio to the D-core here and if mantha doesn't work out, it's only 1 year before he's a free agent. 

2 minutes ago, Ballisticsports said:

Too many people giving him credit for drafting , just because he was a scout in Boston at one time

I thought he came here as a GM and not a scout?

Every good GM (omit JB) says the draft day is the scouts day to shine

In 2017 Pres. Trevor Linden turned the 2017 NHL entry draft over to Brackett team and it's when our better players were drafted

In 2018 JB told Aqua he could make this a winning team and sided over TL (how well did that go)?

In 2020 JB had released, or scouts had left and he hired Chris Gear so he and  his buddy (un)Weis could have more fun scouting instead of managing the team, budget, players and draft (how well did that turn out)?

When JB was fired Smyl talked about how the 2 had kept everything to themselves and obviously were not a management team (rather a mismanagement team)

He had no idea how to build a team and built it from the 4th line out using cap and assets, that either sat on our bench, other teams bench or in the minors and used more assets to get rid of them !

The role of the GM is to Manage.

GM is above the coach and can manage trades, team composition, hiring coaches and staff, salary issues/caps, sort of everything strategic about the team.(which is why he was not a good GM)

He kept this team at the bottom of the NHL and in 8 yrs had great opportunity to build with high 1st and 2nd round picks etc, while accumulating more picks from other teams, instead he kept us at the cap and the bottom

We should have been amassing more picks than our own , for when EP and Hughes OEL contracts neared expired that we had very good affordable options to insert once we had to start paying them

I didn't even want to respond to this, because most are aware of how bad he was at managing this team 

It is the past, and best to leave in the past, as it was bad enough to live for all those years before

It was such a bad time and depressing, and I will try to refrain from bringing his name and those sad times 

I now see a Management team that appreciates different opinions with staff and not wanting yes men types

Even though they still have their hands tied, I see a actual plan and prudent moves and building this team out from the Goalie out (instead of the 4th line)

If anyone things I am defending Benning they read this wrong. 
I said it was what he was probably best at. Best of a list of things done terribly is still terrible. 

18 minutes ago, tas said:

heffy is permanent cyanide. shrill, hyberbolic, juvenile, sky-is-falling nonsense. 

I've blocked him, as I did on the previous forum, but I wish I didn't need to. I'm open to whatever (bad, dumb, wrong) arguments he wants to make, but the way he makes them is insufferable. 

Like you said you blocked him.

Thats the correct method on this forum and all that needs to be done to dictate your own experience.

The fact that you say these types of things about him is also evidence that you view yourself or your POV as being superior or more mature, which unfortunately its not. Neither is mine.

The irony is that I was being informed I was “defending” him. As such, that would mean that he was already under attack, yes? So although Heffy rarely if ever calls anyone out on this forum for their opinion, it’s ok for others to attack him for his views? Bullshit.

There’s context in language. As such, the words you used to describe him just now can also be considered as projection, seeing as you recognize those apparent traits of his, and so much so that it offends you to a point of having to censor his opinion for your own comfort. What does that say about you or anyone else who does the same. Could argue it’s simply intolerance, right? Could also argue it’s also firmly against inclusion. But that is your right on the forum. To ignore him, just like it’s his right to express his view.

I mean nothing personal against you by the way. I just put some value in everybody’s contribution to the forum, whether I agree with it or not. That’s only fair. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, RWJC said:

Like you said you blocked him.

Thats the correct method on this forum and all that needs to be done to dictate your own experience.

The fact that you say these types of things about him is also evidence that you view yourself or your POV as being superior or more mature, which unfortunately its not. Neither is mine.

The irony is that I was being informed I was “defending” him. As such, that would mean that he was already under attack, yes? So although Heffy rarely if ever calls anyone out on this forum for their opinion, it’s ok for others to attack him for his views? Bullshit.

There’s context in language. As such, the words you used to describe him just now can also be considered as projection, seeing as you recognize those apparent traits of his, and so much so that it offends you to a point of having to censor his opinion for your own comfort. What does that say about you or anyone else who does the same. Could argue it’s simply intolerance, right? Could also argue it’s also firmly against inclusion. But that is your right on the forum. To ignore him, just like it’s his right to express his view.

I mean nothing personal against you by the way. I just put some value in everybody’s contribution to the forum, whether I agree with it or not. That’s only fair. 

Here, here!

• Cheers 1