[Report] Conor Garland given permission to seek trade

1 minute ago, RinkonRenfrew said:

The market for Garland should be better after the season. He’s still a quality player and should not be a negative value dump if the cap increases as expected.

He isn’t hurting us, so i don’t see the point in trading him for another team’s dead weight this season. If it makes sense to include him as part of a larger trade to make the cap work - great, pull the trigger.  

Hard pass on guys like Armia or Mantha. They don’t improve the team this year.

If we could somehow trade him straight up for Pearson though, that’d be cool.

Pearson was able to be traded because he is on an expiring contract.  Garland has 3 years left at almost $5 million.  He isn't tradeable straight up for an expiring contract or even for picks or prospects.  Allvin either needs to retain salary to move him or come up with some type of a 3-way trade to make all parties happy.  The 3-way may be the way to go here...

1 minute ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Pearson was able to be traded because he is on an expiring contract.  Garland has 3 years left at almost $5 million.  He isn't tradeable straight up for an expiring contract or even for picks or prospects.  Allvin either needs to retain salary to move him or come up with some type of a 3-way trade to make all parties happy.  The 3-way may be the way to go here...

I get he has 2 more years at 5 mil after this one which what makes him hard to trade under the current cap situation in the league.  That should change after this season with a rising cap. For this year, there is no reason to trade him unless we’re getting the better fit/player back or he simply wants out.  

Garland ++ for Crouse? yes please.  

Pearson was a gamble we had to pay to move - which is working out great for Montreal (also very happy for TP). not complaining about desmith - that’s working out great for us

• Cheers 2

1 minute ago, RinkonRenfrew said:

I get he has 2 more years at 5 mil after this one which what makes him hard to trade under the current cap situation in the league.  That should change after this season with a rising cap. For this year, there is no reason to trade him unless we’re getting the better fit/player back or he simply wants out.  

Garland ++ for Crouse? yes please.  

Pearson was a gamble we had to pay to move - which is working out great for Montreal (also very happy for TP). not complaining about desmith - that’s working out great for us

Yeah, I wasn't too happy we had to move that 3rd round pick for Pearson, but DeSmith was a pleasant surprise.  We really needed him.  Garland hopefully is more moveable in the summer.  Allvin seems to be alot more patient than Benning, so I don't think he is going to panic trade Garland.  That's why we have Garland at his contract in the first place.  Because Benning wanted OEL so badly that he took Garland too and then gave him a monster contract on top of that.  Crazy.

Lawson Crouse is my dream trade.  He fits perfectly into this lineup.  He'd be our new Bertuzzi.  His career is literally dying in Arizona.  He needs to come to Vancouver so he can be a 40 goal scorer...

• Cheers 3

Garland was showing serious potential when JB made the deal though to be fair.  

2019-2020 he had 39 pts in 68 games, 22 of those points were goals as well.

2020-2021 he was trending further up with 39 pts in 49 games in the season before the trade. JB gambled but that’s a permissible mistake to make…even can excuse some of the contract overpayment. Garland really looked like he was about to break out. 

He’s just not utilized here like he could be and perhaps doesn’t have the right linemate consistency or chemistry to have retained his previous rate of production. Unfortunately, being a pro hockey player you have to adapt. I think he still has a potential ceiling of being a 50pt guy on the right team. Just not us. 

Edited by RWJC
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2
  • Vintage 1

10 minutes ago, RWJC said:

Garland was showing serious potential when JB made the deal thought to be fair.  

2020-2021 he was trending further up with 39 pts in 49 games in the season before the trade. JB gambled but that’s a permissible mistake to make…even can excuse some of the contract overpayment. Garland really looked like he was about to break out. 

He’s just not utilized here like he could be and perhaps doesn’t have the right linemate consistency or chemistry to have retained his previous rate of production. Unfortunately, being a pro hockey player you have to adapt. I think he still has a potential ceiling of being a 50pt guy on the right team. Just not us. 

Agreed. He’s actually a solid player. Guess just not a fit here.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

I think Carolina, scared by their slow start will realize that the only way to right the ship is to deal Pesce for Garland.

It’s really that simple. 

Allvin practicing for negotiations with Waddell 
image.gif.7e982de30d9a7274f277be52568ecea3.gif

• Haha 4

38 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

I think Carolina, scared by their slow start will realize that the only way to right the ship is to deal Pesce for Garland.

It’s really that simple. 

Wouldn’t hold my breath on Pesce he’s out long term with a serious lower body injury.

They missed their chance to deal him.

3 hours ago, RWJC said:

Garland was showing serious potential when JB made the deal though to be fair.  

He played well with Horvat, and could have similar chemistry with someone like Boone Jenner in Columbus.

Garland carries the puck and create from the wings, often in unpredictable ways. He doesn’t need a great playmaking center like JT or Petey. He seems to work well with a big center with a good shot, that can attack the net, bang in rebounds/behind the net passes. 

• Cheers 2

8 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Really?

Okay well from the sounds of Brindamour talking about it it sounded like months.

Interesting.

Carolina Hurricanes’ Brett Pesce out 2-4 weeks with lower-body injury

Scott Maxwell 

October 25 2023

The Carolina Hurricanes announced on Wednesday afternoon that defenseman Brett Pesce will be out for 2-4 weeks with a lower-body injury after undergoing surgery.

Pesce, 28, last played for the Hurricanes last Thursday during their game against the Seattle Kraken. It’s unclear as to whether or not the injury occurred during the game, as he played the entirety of the game, including the final 29 seconds of the third period. He finished the game with just a shot on goal in 19:37 of ice time as the Kraken would go on to beat the Hurricanes 7-4.

Pesce currently has a goal and an assist for two points in five games this season, and is looking to build upon his career year in 2022-23 where he had 30 points in 82 games. However, he’s known more for his playdriving skills, something that’s been a bit more middling so far this season with just a 50.33% 5v5 expected goal share.

So far Jalen Chatfield has replaced Pesce in the lineup in the past couple games, while Brady Skjei, Pesce’s partner on the second pair, has seen Chatfield and Dmitry Orlov on his pair so far in the two games since Pesce’s injury. Tony DeAngelo appears to be Skjei’s projected partner for this Thursday’s game against the Kraken, a paring that has a 7.14% 5v5 expected goal share in 6:49 of ice-time so far.

Pesce was a third-round pick for the Hurricanes in the 2013 draft, and has spent the entirety of his nine-season NHL career in Carolina. He’s currently in the final year of a six-year contract with a $4.025 million cap hit, one he signed with the Canes in the 2017 offseason, and is set to become an unrestricted free agent in the 2024 offseason.

The Pesce injury has certainly hurt the Hurricanes so far, as they’ve lost both games in his absence and find themselves on a three-game losing streak overall. They currently sit in fifth in the Metropolitan Division with a 3-4-0 record.

https://www.dailyfaceoff.com/news/carolina-hurricanes-brett-pesce-out-way-more-than-week-to-week-with-lower-body-injury

5 hours ago, Huggy Bear said:

He played well with Horvat, and could have similar chemistry with someone like Boone Jenner in Columbus.

Garland carries the puck and create from the wings, often in unpredictable ways. He doesn’t need a great playmaking center like JT or Petey. He seems to work well with a big center with a good shot, that can attack the net, bang in rebounds/behind the net passes. 

He played well for USA at the World Championship last year - 8 points in 10 games, and +4. Tied for 4th on the team, and wore the “A” too.

He’s a good little player - I’m a fan, personally - but he just doesn’t fit. Replacing him with a cheaper winger with more size makes a lot of sense on all fronts.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

9 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Really?

Okay well from the sounds of Brindamour talking about it it sounded like months.

Interesting.

For them and there start it might feel like it. They need to decide if they will deal or keep him for a chance at a cup run this year, bad start might sway them to not go for it this year. Without him for a month certainly won't help.

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, D-Money said:

He played well for USA at the World Championship last year - 8 points in 10 games, and +4. Tied for 4th on the team, and wore the “A” too.

He’s a good little player - I’m a fan, personally - but he just doesn’t fit. Replacing him with a cheaper winger with more size makes a lot of sense on all fronts.

Everytime I see him play I wonder why we are willing to give him up for nothing. He plays well, it doesn't always translate to the team scoring but it also stabilizes the play and keeps the other team from having chances. I too feel like he just needs the right guy to play with. A volume shooter like Boeser might be a fit, but even better would be a center that fits the bill.

8 minutes ago, Tower102 said:

Everytime I see him play I wonder why we are willing to give him up for nothing. He plays well, it doesn't always translate to the team scoring but it also stabilizes the play and keeps the other team from having chances. I too feel like he just needs the right guy to play with. A volume shooter like Boeser might be a fit, but even better would be a center that fits the bill.

He fits well with a big, shooting C... like Horvat. The minute Horvat was traded, Garland was no longer a fit here. Secondarily, signing Kuzmenko didn't help his case either.

He's not a bad player, he just doesn't fit this rosters needs. And if we were willing to give him up for nothing, he'd be gone by now.

• Cheers 1

Peeke has been scratched for 6 straight games. People are going to have to remind me why they want him so bad. He’s a more physical Poolman. He’s got terrible analytics. Feel like people are just seeing RHD with size and they immediately want him. The guy isn’t that good otherwise he’d be playing for a bad Columbus team.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1
  • ThereItIs 1

5 minutes ago, flickyoursedin said:

Peeke has been scratched for 6 straight games. People are going to have to remind me why they want him so bad. He’s a more physical Poolman. He’s got terrible analytics. Feel like people are just seeing RHD with size and they immediately want him. The guy isn’t that good otherwise he’d be playing for a bad Columbus team.

People have been hearing his name in rumours, have never watched him play. 

That's the extent of everyone's interest haha 

• Cheers 1

5 hours ago, D-Money said:

Agreed, I’m a fan of his, but recognize it’s he doesn’t fit with our core. Especially with how well bigger/faster forechecking wingers are complimenting our top 6, we just don’t have a spot for a smaller skilled winger.

• Cheers 2

3 hours ago, flickyoursedin said:

Columbus has a FAR deeper right side than we do. Who would he be playing ahead of on that right side? A "more physical Poolman" is a bigger roster need than Garland, and clears cap in the process. Don't mistake those things as people "wanting him so bad". 

Edited by aGENT

5 hours ago, flickyoursedin said:

Obviously we're desperate. Myers is our second best RD. Same reason everyone is so gaga over an incredibly mediocre Bear happy to add a legit NHL RD.

Edited by Gawdzukes

3 hours ago, flickyoursedin said:

I think most people aren't making the claim he'll be a immediate top pairing great addition to the team. It's more of a chance to shed some cap while bringing in another roster need. He's not a kid, but also isn't old and I'm sure there is some hope he'll find another level on a new team. 

Columbus while also being garbage for years, made some big offseason moves and they actually have a pretty deep D-core right now. They added 3 top 4 Dman to their roster recently I believe plus got their main dude back after a long injury. Then finally they got their young star who made the team and that is what is pushing Peeke out of the lineup (moreso the future of that team). 

To be honest they should have done everything except sign Guddy. Save the 4 million and play Peeke there, but too late for them and now they gotta trade/waive someone soon likely. 

Edited by Bobby James