[Report] Conor Garland given permission to seek trade

9 hours ago, stawns said:

They need to upgrade on Friedman and AB and they're pretty solid top to bottom, imo.

in my ideal world they somehow move out myers, garland, beauvilier and bring in tanev, bear, and one more impact forward. 

Just now, PhillipBlunt said:

As long as Myers is playing like he has been for the last couple of games, I doubt he’s going anywhere. 

don't get me wrong, I'm happy with his performance, but if you can upgrade the position while at the same time shedding salary how can you say no?

12 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

As long as Myers is playing like he has been for the last couple of games, I doubt he’s going anywhere. 

Have you noticed if he is getting less minutes?   I wonder what has changed because he was a gong show for a bit.

• Vintage 1

20 minutes ago, tas said:

in my ideal world they somehow move out myers, garland, beauvilier and bring in tanev, bear, and one more impact forward. 

Im curious to see how they handle the Myers situation if he keeps playing well and they're secure in a playoff spot come tdl.  Disrupting chemistry at that point can really play havoc with a team going into the playoffs.  Would just letting him walk in the off season be that bad?

I can also see a scenario where he's back at a far cheaper price

1 hour ago, stawns said:

It's irrelevant what he's making at this point, the season has started.  He's a valuable member of the team and is more valuable on the roster than carrying dead cap or giving up a pick/prospect to move him.  That's beyond stupid, imo.

of coz it's not irrelevant.. moving him allows flexibility to make other moves this season that can help the team long term.. say a team wanted to move a player that fits our team for cap reason so they can make another move for another player that benefits their team.. oh we can't make that trade coz we don't have cap space because we have a a valuable player sitting on 5mil of cap that's doing nothing other than skate around drawing penalties and stuff.. hoglander can do the same thing at 40% the cap. carrying a player that's really not doing much in terms of making your team better because you don't want to give up picks/prospect to move him is beyond stupid if the team is planning to compete the next 2-3 years. you can probably recoup whatever it cost to dump garland by taking back expiring contracts at the TDL from contenders if they ain't planning on making trades for the playoff.

12 minutes ago, Screw said:

Have you noticed if he is getting less minutes?   I wonder what has changed because he was a gong show for a bit.

Maybe better D coaches explaining what they would like to see and him buying in?

playing for a contract and K.I.S.S.

All of those contributing to a better game?

Edited by Ballisticsports
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

of coz it's not irrelevant.. moving him allows flexibility to make other moves this season that can help the team long term.. say a team wanted to move a player that fits our team for cap reason so they can make another move for another player that benefits their team.. oh we can't make that trade coz we don't have cap space because we have a a valuable player sitting on 5mil of cap that's doing nothing other than skate around drawing penalties and stuff.. hoglander can do the same thing at 40% the cap. carrying a player that's really not doing much in terms of making your team better because you don't want to give up picks/prospect to move him is beyond stupid if the team is planning to compete the next 2-3 years. you can probably recoup whatever it cost to dump garland by taking back expiring contracts at the TDL from contenders if they ain't planning on making trades for the playoff.

If they can move him without a sweetener, great.  If not, they're better off holding on to him, imo 

1 hour ago, Screw said:

What I’ve noticed is how simple his game is and how much more

he uses his size.

They’ve got him to play to his strengths and then he has these opportunities for breakaways like the short handed beauty he scored against those loathsome Ringers. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Johnny said:

Hes sitting at 4th in ice time 

That’s probably largely due to the blowouts and minutes being spread out for those games.

Just look at the last game against Dallas.  It was a close game.  Myers had 16:21 minutes.  Only beating out Friedman (8:32) among defenceman.  Soucy 16:46.  Cole 19:35.  Hughes 25:23.  Hronek 25:39.

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

If he sticks with his present incarnation, for sure. Players that size who take the body are rare. 

And what I think is even more rare is that fact that he seems to have become a serviceable RHD who:

A. Won't make us wait years to draft and develop; and,

B. Won't cause us to lose any assets to acquire (i.e., we already own him)!

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

13 hours ago, CaptainCanuck12 said:

He's more likely to be re-signed than traded.

It depends on where the Canucks are in the standings at the trade deadline.  The way Meyers is playing

right now, he could likely get a decent return.  If the Nucks are in the playoff hunt, they will keep him.

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Myers just isn’t going to be traded this season. That’s a pipe dream, bruh. 

I agree. You generally trade from a position of strength, players you are deep in. Right side D is a weak depth position for the Canucks. And really, if we are winning with Myers at third pair D, keep him. Less minutes in a somewhat sheltered role has done him a world of good. 

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Rekker said:

I agree. You generally trade from a position of strength, players you are deep in. Right side D is a weak depth position for the Canucks. And really, if we are winning with Myers at third pair D, keep him. Less minutes in a somewhat sheltered role has done him a world of good. 

True. His last few games have been a startling turnaround from the first few. He's been poised, physical and calm. I can't count how many zone entries he quashed with what looked to me like little to no effort.

I was one of the jerks on here calling for his head, but I can say that he's been great since he and Tocchet went for a walk. 

• Like 1
  • Huggy Bear 1
  • Cheers 1

47 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

I was one of the jerks on here calling for his head

Your not alone, myself and others have crapped on Myers, and deservedly so. Just can't underestimate the two assistant D coaches on staff. I'm sure Foote and Gonchar have a lot to say and with their resume, Tocchet will listen and take note. Hopefully the new spot for Myers will continue to be successful. 

Edited by Rekker
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

14 hours ago, WHL rocks said:

Re sign Myers 2 mill per year for 2 years

If thats below market he owes it to Canucks. He's been overpaid for 5 years. 

Myers at 6M isn't worth it, Myers are closer to 2-3M probably is. I would not be surprised if he ends up sticking around. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Myers at 6M isn't worth it, Myers are closer to 2-3M probably is. I would not be surprised if he ends up sticking around. 

If we can re-sign Myers at around 2 million for 1 season, it's worth it as long as he continues to play the simple game he has been the last few. Just needs to do what he's effective at, don't worry about offense, don't chase the puck, just clear the area around the net.

He's lost a step, but he's still a physical force out there when he just sticks to what he's still good at.

• Cheers 1

12 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

He lives in Kelowna., probably wants to stay nearby as that was his reason for signing here in the first place. On a reasonable short term deal, you bet.

Edited by Rekker
  • Cheers 1