[Report] Conor Garland given permission to seek trade

2 minutes ago, Provost said:

Umm?  That is such a bad self-own post by you, that you must be Weisbrod.  It almost has to be satire how badly you post.

You literally picked three of Benning’s many mistakes as his best moves.

Tanev has been a virtual iron man since he left and is playing in a cheap team friendly contract.  We haven’t been able to replace him since he left.  Toffoli is on a cheap contract and is coming off a 73 point season, and was traded for a solid return… vs. Garland who can’t be given away.  Markstrom was a Vezina finalist - season ago.

Way better to have spent that money that summer on Virtanen, Nate Schmidt, and Holtby.  Those guys have been ripping it up for the Canucks!

Oh my goodness…

In fairness with Demko ready to take the reigns not signing Marky to 6x6 was a good move. Tanev and Toffoli were whiffs though. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, AnthonyG said:

Man, I wish I had half the knowledge and experience you seem to have.  
You are easily the smartest guy on the boards. 
Even when pretty well everyone here disagrees with you, you just keep being a total arrogant jerk that is 100% convinced he is right.  
It’s pretty wild to see.  
And now for some reason you have included me into your mess of a conversation, when up until 30 seconds ago, I had no idea you existed. 
Cool dude.  
Great game!

Keep it up!

• Haha 3

19 minutes ago, stawns said:

Not a lot of backup evidence, but a good read nonetheless 

Sure backs up the fact that it was a stealth rebuild. Also shows that we never had the trade chips like Duchene or ROR to fast track a rebuild. We never had as many top 5 picks either. From ‘09-‘19 Colorado had 7 picks in the top 10, 5 of which being inside the top 5. Which gave them valuable trade chips, to move out while still keeping top end talent.

From the day the drafted Landeskog and then Mackinnon, it took 11 years to win a cup. Not only that they missed playoffs 5 of 6 years. Yet “fans” here cry and complain we made playoffs twice in 5 seasons and then had terrible luck with COVID, a terrible first half of the season from Pettersson in 2021-22 and then last years goaltending nightmare. The trade chips they moved out helped them gain more high end picks. We never had the same advantage of having guys like Duchene or ROR. 

We missed playoffs by 3 wins in 2021-22, last year was 7 wins away with our leagues worst goaltending duo.

Bennings tenure was rebuilding.

39 minutes ago, AnthonyG said:

Benning and Gillis are gone, move tf on already. 

Also Benning making moves too early into the rebuild are why this has dragged on as long as it has already. Even his good moves were at least a year or two too early. 

• Huggy Bear 1
  • Cheers 2

6 minutes ago, Conscience said:

I'm tired of people saying his drafting was good. There were some major misses, Hughes fell into his lap anyone would have made that pick and Pettersson was the only real choice that worked out. 

Anehiem and san jose were still competitive and the for ducks having started rebuilding after us they aren't far behind.

As for comparing to Arizona lol, what a benchmark.

every GM has misses. Some far far worse than Benning. You’re looking at him in vacuum. Expand your view league wide and you’ll see he’s not had a great tenure as GM but is much better in contrast than quite a number of others in that same time frame 

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, AnthonyG said:

Sure backs up the fact that it was a stealth rebuild. Also shows that we never had the trade chips like Duchene or ROR to fast track a rebuild. We never had as many top 5 picks either. From ‘09-‘19 Colorado had 7 picks in the top 10, 5 of which being inside the top 5. Which gave them valuable trade chips, to move out while still keeping top end talent.

From the day the drafted Landeskog and then Mackinnon, it took 11 years to win a cup. Not only that they missed playoffs 5 of 6 years. Yet “fans” here cry and complain we made playoffs twice in 5 seasons and then had terrible luck with COVID, a terrible first half of the season from Pettersson in 2021-22 and then last years goaltending nightmare. The trade chips they moved out helped them gain more high end picks. We never had the same advantage of having guys like Duchene or ROR. 

We missed playoffs by 3 wins in 2021-22, last year was 7 wins away with our leagues worst goaltending duo.

I think it was a good article and supports, generally, what I think.  There was just the one metric used is all I'm saying.

• Cheers 1

Just now, RWJC said:

every GM has misses. Some far far worse than Benning. You’re looking at him in vacuum. Expand your view league wide and you’ll see he’s not had a great tenure as GM but is much better in contrast than quite a number of others in that same time frame 

No I'm really not, if you're talking about drafting alone yes definitely not the worst, but overall GM yes one the worst for sure.

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, AnthonyG said:

that it was, but in retrospect.

Unfortunately he sacrificed an all encompassing rebuild for a win now approach and depleted our prospect and asset pool as a consequence.

I don’t totally blame him though…will always factor in pressure from ownership to operate in a certain way. 

Just now, RWJC said:

At the end of the day, he left the team in a better position than when he was hired.  He made a ton of mistakes, especially with coach selection, overall being about a 3/10.  Not good, but there's been many worse.

• Cheers 2

12 minutes ago, RWJC said:

Dude, please shut up. 

Who the fuck are you to tell people what their opinions should be?

Complete and utter hypocrisy what you’re posting.  Get over yourself. 

@King Heffy is entitled to his own views. If you don’t like it just ignore it. 

Don’t be a Karen.

Good…you enjoy his f’n bullshit / toxic negativity then!!! That’s not about opinions, that’s just hating / trolling. Have you not seen it over the years?! People like him are why some are tired of these forums / can’t enjoy them properly. This forum, social media, society are filled with toxic negativity and it needs to stop and people like you are clearly enablers! Enjoy that!! There nothing wrong with opinions, discussion and constructive criticism, but he’s (and a few others) have never done that. Wake up and see what’s going on!!! 

P.S. be like so many and just throw terms around these days…it’s all the trend! Just because someone calls out someone’s bullshit, doesn’t make them a Karen. Got any other good ones…snowflake?! Or is it a conspiracy? Government control? 

Edited by 88Canuck

Just now, Conscience said:

No I'm really not, if you're talking about drafting alone yes definitely not the worst, but overall GM yes one the worst for sure.

Yes drafting was my sole focus in that post. I cringed at the mere prospect of it every time I heard we had just made a trade while he was GM. 

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, 88Canuck said:

Good…you enjoy his f’n bullshit / toxic negativity then!!! That’s not about opinions, that’s just hating / trolling. Have you not seen it over the years?! People like him are why some are tired of these forums / can’t enjoy them properly. This forum, social media, society are filled with toxic negativity and it needs to stop and people like you are clearly enablers! Enjoy that!! There nothing wrong with opinions, discussion and constructive criticism, but he’s (and a few others) have never done that. Wake up and see what’s going on!!! 

P.S. be like so many and just throw terms around these days…it’s all the treats! Just because someone calls out someone’s bullshit, doesn’t make them a Karen. Got any other good ones…snowflake?! Or is it a conspiracy? Government control? 

You’re the only being toxic right now. That’s the sad irony here.

I feel pity for you that you can’t even see that. It’s embarrassing. 

Edited by RWJC
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

Also Benning making moves too early into the rebuild are why this has dragged on as long as it has already. Even his good moves were at least a year or two too early. 

Dude you guys wont stfu about Benning. Its nonstop crying. So I will continue to remind you ungrateful crybabies that he was here to REBUILD and gave us the next era of Canuck hockey within his first 5 years. Without a 1OA or multiple top 3 picks. No big value trade chips. 

5 years in he had 2 playoff appearances, he and everyone else here realized Pettersson and Hughes were game changers. Had it not been for Petterssons slow ass start in 2021-22 we would have 10000% been a playoff team. We were one of the hottest teams down the final 38 game stretch. You and everyone else here wouldnt have bashed his moves for OEL had we made the playoffs . Myers and OEL were a top 5 shutdown pair league wide for an entire season. You guys woulda been down on your knees thanking Benning for the moves he made.

4 minutes ago, Conscience said:

His mistakes will of course be amplified because of the state of the organization.

How about Gillis overpaying in every single trade? Lol how about that Ballard trade lmao.

1 minute ago, AnthonyG said:

Dude you guys wont stfu about Benning. Its nonstop crying. So I will continue to remind you ungrateful crybabies that he was here to REBUILD and gave us the next era of Canuck hockey within his first 5 years. Without a 1OA or multiple top 3 picks. No big value trade chips. 

5 years in he had 2 playoff appearances, he and everyone else here realized Pettersson and Hughes were game changers. Had it not been for Petterssons slow ass start in 2021-22 we would have 10000% been a playoff team. We were one of the hottest teams down the final 38 game stretch. You and everyone else here wouldnt have bashed his moves for OEL had we made the playoffs . Myers and OEL were a top 5 shutdown pair league wide for an entire season. You guys woulda been down on your knees thanking Benning for the moves he made.

And now he’s gone, moving on. 

4 minutes ago, RWJC said:

Okay, wake up buddy and go through his history / recent post! Turn a blind eye just because he’s been around a while and you have a need to defend him even though the facts are right there. Good on you champ! 

Edited by 88Canuck
  • Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

You can thank ownerships plan to "stay competitive" for the duration for that. Sigh.

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, RWJC said:

I feel pity for you that you can’t even see that. It’s embarrassing. 

P.S. Maybe go back (even last forum) and look at how he’s talked about this team, some players, the coach and management! But yeah, I’m the issue. Also, maybe understand the difference between his toxic negativity (for no good reason) and someone calling out toxic negativity. There’s a big difference!