[Report] Conor Garland given permission to seek trade

I don't foresee a scenario where Garland and his new agent find an option being one of 31 clubs willing to take him on in a trade that has not already been thought up or turned down by the Canucks or other clubs.

Vancouver is not going to trade him for nothing, contrary to how some here view him as having no or negative value he does hold value. Right now that value is higher being in Vancouver. Perhaps he feels he really should be a top six forward, I think he is a very good forward and running the third line is a solid role.

End of the day we will most likely see nothing happen here with regards to Garland being dealt as he was as I understand it available since last season. 

• Cheers 2

2 hours ago, WSAcanuck said:

And this is everything in building a team. 

1 hour ago, N4ZZY said:

I mean that's basically his job as GM lol. 

yup-uhuh.gif 

I wasn't defending Benning in that post 🤣

56 minutes ago, The Duke said:

I agree, for sure.

Also, the main balance of Benning’s term had either zero top end talent or top end talent that was still too young to carry a team.

I don’t think that helped his (overpaid) support pieces do the job. A lot of them were serviceable players asked to do too much… but in hindsight we see them all as one big Loui Eriksson.

Pretty much.

18 minutes ago, RWJC said:

Like you said you blocked him.

Thats the correct method on this forum and all that needs to be done to dictate your own experience.

The fact that you say these types of things about him is also evidence that you view yourself or your POV as being superior or more mature, which unfortunately its not. Neither is mine.

The irony is that I was being informed I was “defending” him. As such, that would mean that he was already under attack, yes? So although Heffy rarely if ever calls anyone out on this forum for their opinion, it’s ok for others to attack him for his views? Bullshit.

There’s context in language. As such, the words you used to describe him just now can also be considered as projection, seeing as you recognize those apparent traits of his, and so much so that it offends you to a point of having to censor his opinion for your own comfort. What does that say about you or anyone else who does the same. Could argue it’s simply intolerance, right? Could also argue it’s also firmly against inclusion. But that is your right on the forum. To ignore him, just like it’s his right to express his view.

I mean nothing personal against you by the way. I just put some value in everybody’s contribution to the forum, whether I agree with it or not. That’s only fair. 

what it says is that nobody wants to listen to a petulant child having a temper tantrum. 

his posting style contributes nothing positive to discussion. 

4 minutes ago, Mike Vanderhoek said:

I don't foresee a scenario where Garland and his new agent find an option being one of 31 clubs willing to take him on in a trade that has not already been thought up or turned down by the Canucks or other clubs.

Vancouver is not going to trade him for nothing, contrary to how some here view him as having no or negative value he does hold value. Right now that value is higher being in Vancouver. Perhaps he feels he really should be a top six forward, I think he is a very good forward and running the third line is a solid role.

End of the day we will most likely see nothing happen here with regards to Garland being dealt as he was as I understand it available since last season. 

I agree. I think his only opportunity would be a significant injury on a contender type team that could use him to get through. Unfortunately, his contract having three years left on it basically kills that option. Until the cap goes up or he starts playing to his contract, I don't see him going anywhere. 

There's definitely a market for him if Canucks retain money on him. Only a few years left, you could easily get draft picks out of him. 

Most teams would gladly take him for 3 mill. He's also severely underutilized here which is why he demanded a trade in the first place.

Every time the Canucks put him in a role to succeed, they push him down the lineup and wonder where his production goes. 

14 hours ago, Riddikulus said:

Mike Millbury is the worst GM of all time but Jim Benning set the world record for the most players signed or traded for that you couldn't give away for free. And the thing is he was connected to a half a dozen more, like Lucic, Zaitsev, PK Subban and that's only the ones that we heard of. If Benning was a superhero his super power would be taking a bad contract and then trading it for a longer more expensive bad contract and then throwing in a draft pick just for shits and giggles. At this point the folks who still defend Benning make even less sense to me than flat-earthers. 

What was ridiculous was trying to prop up the twins for one last playoff run when everyone could see their careers were pretty much done. All of this OEL trade was a waste on that. (Instead of this expensive deal we should have grabbed Helm and Shattenkirk were available for a lot less.) We should rode out their contracts and do a proper rebuild. No we sign their last contract at 7M per for 4 years. 7M per for a retirement contract, not smart. That's where OEL et al sneaked in.

Who's call was that? We will never know.

Edited by Hairy Kneel
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 2

26 minutes ago, Mike Vanderhoek said:

Yup.

He has more value as a player than he does in trade, largely due to flat cap. If his agent/Allvin can find a trade for a similar value RD or say a 40'ish point but grittier winger, with cap coming back...great. If not...we can try again next summer with a year less term and a rising cap.

Though IMO, it would be better to deal with this sooner than later, just so it's not a (further) distraction. 

• Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Yup.

He has more value as a player than he does in trade, largely due to flat cap. If his agent/Allvin can find a trade for a similar value RD or say a 40'ish point but grittier winger, with cap coming back...great. If not...we can try again next summer with a year less term and a rising cap.

Though IMO, it would be better to deal with this sooner than later, just so it's not a (further) distraction. 

Exactly. Not sure the market, but I would be more interested in moving Beau at this point, given the term on his contract could be appealing to garner value now. When Garland has a great year (I said it) without Beau stealing his minutes, he will offer great value next summer with less term and the higher cap. Hell, maybe we keep him at that point and assign him complimentary partners!

Edited by BC_Hawk

14 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

What was ridiculous was trying to prop up the twins for one last playoff run when everyone could see their careers were pretty much done. All of this OEL trade was a waste on that. (Instead of this expensive deal we should have grabbed Helm and Shattenkirk were available for a lot less.) We should rode out their contracts and do a proper rebuild. No we sign their last contract at 7M per for 4 years. 7M per for a retirement contract, not smart. That's where OEL et al sneaked in.

Who's call was that? We will never know.

One Mr. Aqualinni for the win! As much as we beat on GMs, they are just doing as requested by the owners in most cases. Like us, they appreciate their pay cheques and don't want to get fired!

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, aGENT said:

yup-uhuh.gif 

I wasn't defending Benning in that post 🤣

Pretty much.

Pretty familiar with your stance on Benning lol.

Like you are saying, I think it’s important for people to understand the nuances that really made what on paper should have been better moves tank so badly during his tenure. 

One poster on here compares Benning to Gillis (and thinks Benning was better at building depth lol).

That comparison is the best evidence there is that building out your depth makes the difference. 

He’s not a BAD player…. But it is a BAD signing. IMO he isn’t worth that 4.9M Cap hit over the next 3 years.     

If a trade were to happen it would have to be to a team in rebuilding with cap space.  

In a perfect world this would be my opinion of an ideal trade.  

Garland to Nashville 

Alexandre Carrier to Vancouver. - but I am probably dreaming there haha

1 minute ago, King Heffy said:

He's a pretty good third liner who can move up when injuries hit.  No one would be complaining about him if he made 3 million.  Unless there's a hockey trade to be made for an overpaid but still serviceable blueliner, might as well keep him in the lineup.  

agreed, scores 50 points a season and can play up and down the line up. I can understand he maybe thinks he should play top six minutes or have a more defined role but he has done well, at under $ 5 million per season is not horrible just not an ideal number like you mentioned around $ 3 million per.

I anticipate much like the Boeser situation last season that Garland will remain and probably have more respect for the team allowing him the opportunity to see if there is any better opportunities around the league. If one thing going through this process has to give the player a different level of respect for the club, managers etc.

Hope he battles hard and puts up another 50-ish point season in Vancouver.

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

He's a pretty good third liner who can move up when injuries hit.  No one would be complaining about him if he made 3 million.  Unless there's a hockey trade to be made for an overpaid but still serviceable blueliner, might as well keep him in the lineup.  

But he clearly wants out. Why keep someone around who doesn’t want to be here?

2 minutes ago, Snoop Hogg said:

But he clearly wants out. Why keep someone around who doesn’t want to be here?

If he becomes disruptive, you suspend him without pay.  Otherwise, you tell him to suck it up and play better to improve his trade value.  You don't make a bad trade for the sake of appeasing him.

58 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Yup.

what about the nuclear option, putting him on waivers?

1 minute ago, King Heffy said:

If he becomes disruptive, you suspend him without pay.  Otherwise, you tell him to suck it up and play better to improve his trade value.  You don't make a bad trade for the sake of appeasing him.

Unless he puts up points against good teams, instead of garbage teams like he typically does, his value will not increase.

I’m not advocating for making a bad trade btw. I’m just not sure there is a good trade to be made and he is a distraction.

9 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

I mean, people complained about Pearson's contract pre-injury and he is pretty much the same guy Garland is. A good middle 6 guy that can play top 6. The problem is we have too many middle 6 guys and not enough top 6 guys. I'd say we have 3 true top 6ers. Well, I'd say 4 but I am not interested in debating about Boeser with people here. But outside of Kuzy, Petey, and Miller most of our players are middle 6 or depth guys.

We are flatly in cap hell cause we signed too many wingers. Garland has to take the hit for that, just like Pearson already did. But I can see him being a really good 2nd line RWer on a team. He just needs an opportunity. I mean, we are likely gonna watch OEL look good on Florida after we blamed him for this team sucking last year.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

cap space. 

Clearing a few hundred K isn't really moving the needle. And being that we're operating in Poolman's LTIR, it just gives us less LTIR room.

So what does it accomplish?

Edited by aGENT
  • Cheers 1