[Report] Conor Garland given permission to seek trade

12 minutes ago, Huggy Bear said:

I like that McDavid hit 188 lb Hronek into the boards, then Petey said “hold my beer,” and knocked 210 lb Ceci clear out of the zone.

And a big difference is Baby Whiner McDavid cowardly hit a guy whose back was turned. Petey the Great hit a guy heroically from the front. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 2

4 hours ago, Quinn4theWin said:

Apparently to trade Garland the Canucks would need to retain 30% and add a sweetener. Hard pass.

That's so wrong.Garland is paid fair value for his contract.Anybso called expert ( analyst) has there head so far up their arse if they think retaining 30% plus a sweetener is needed.

To me there was three RHD on waivers that would suit our team .Fair trade would be Garland and Woo straight across.

8 hours ago, Blackbeard said:

Is Fabbro better than Ethan Bear? If not, the Canucks might be better off waiting for Bear to get healthy and sign him.

I think Fabbro still has a higher ceiling, but at this point I would say he and Bear are quite comparable. I wouldn't necessarily be opposed to a one-for-one to also shed salary, but hell no to retaining on Garland for him.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, aGENT said:

Trenin, Sissons or Lowry please!

Lowry is Winnipeg’s captain, no chance we’re getting him. The other two would be great, not sure if we can expect much more than cap space though. Even though he’s worth more. My view is we keep him until someone is willing to pay his worth. He’s much better than he’s getting credit for. 

4 minutes ago, BlockerHigh said:

Lowry is Winnipeg’s captain, no chance we’re getting him. The other two would be great, not sure if we can expect much more than cap space though. Even though he’s worth more. My view is we keep him until someone is willing to pay his worth. He’s much better than he’s getting credit for. 

Yeah, and for that reason, I doubt WPG is a fit, unless they want to give up Villardi 🤣

I suppose Stanley +Appleton or something could work too but Nashville seems a better fit personally.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Yeah, and for that reason, I doubt WPG is a fit, unless they want to give up Villardi 🤣

I suppose Stanley +Appleton or something could work too but Nashville seems a better fit personally.

Would happily do Appleton one for one. He’s a big physical player. Fills a need for us, fills a need for them!

2 minutes ago, Provost said:

It is nonsense and just a temporary artifact of the flat cap.  We are almost done with that period and suddenly his contract goes from being overpaid to being fair or a deal.

He is probably our 4th best winger after Kuzmenko, Mikheyev, and Boeser.  Maybe he doesn’t fit what the team needs or doesn’t complement the guys on one two top lines, but he isn’t trash and is a legit 2nd line forward on many teams, 3rd line on most.

If you can move him and get a token return, his loss is mitigated by the cap space and what you can do with it.

Next summer and the summer after, teams will be signing players worse than Garland for more money.  He becomes moveable at that point, even if the return isn’t much.

It would be very Canucks to give up future assets and future dead cap right before the point where it would be taken care of naturally by the larger economics of the game or contracts expiring.

Also teams knew we had cap issues, so they were using that as leverage. We don’t anymore so there’s no fire sale 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Provost said:

It is nonsense and just a temporary artifact of the flat cap.  We are almost done with that period and suddenly his contract goes from being overpaid to being fair or a deal.

He is probably our 4th best winger after Kuzmenko, Mikheyev, and Boeser.  Maybe he doesn’t fit what the team needs or doesn’t complement the guys on one two top lines, but he isn’t trash and is a legit 2nd line forward on many teams, 3rd line on most.

If you can move him and get a token return, his loss is mitigated by the cap space and what you can do with it.

Next summer and the summer after, teams will be signing players worse than Garland for more money.  He becomes moveable at that point, even if the return isn’t much.

It would be very Canucks to give up future assets and future dead cap right before the point where it would be taken care of naturally by the larger economics of the game or contracts expiring.

I'm ok with paying something moderate (a 3rd or Rathbone and a 4th or similar) as long as we get a better fitting player back (Trenin or Sissons for example). But yeah if teams want 1sts and top prospects etc fuck that. We can just wait until summer where we have a tonne of expiring cap and a rising cap ceiling removing basically any leverage they have.

Edited by aGENT
  • Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, Gurn said:

EP

Garland

Myers 

unprotected first

for 

Bedard.

Awesome! Finally, someone who either has pictures of Kyle Davidson with some sheep, really short people and a tub of chocolate pudding, or is VERY good with PhotoShop!

@Gurn for new GM!!! 

Pull this off and we'll make you team president....or at least create the illusion that you're team president...you know, title in CCF, but without the perks like pay, expensive suits or expense account.... 

😉

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

Awesome! Finally, someone who either has pictures of Kyle Davidson with some sheep, really short people and a tub of chocolate pudding, or is VERY good with PhotoShop!

@Gurn for new GM!!! 

Pull this off and we'll make you team president....or at least create the illusion that you're team president...you know, title in CCF, but without the perks like pay, expensive suits or expense account.... 

😉

I was going to throw in Ballard and Raymond, but sometimes too much, is too much.

• Haha 2

20 minutes ago, aGENT said:

I'm ok with paying something moderate (a 3rd or Rathbone and a 4th or similar) as long as we get a better fitting player back (Trenin or Sissons for example). But yeah if teams want 1sts and top prospects etc fuck that. We can just wait until summer where we have a tonne of expiring cap and a rising cap ceiling removing basically any leverage they have.

Yes for sure... if the return is "something" or even nothing I am fine with that.  Cap space has value just on its own.

I was high on a guy like Wade Allison as a return as an example.  Something that has very little value but some potential upside for being a better fitting player for what Tocchet wants to do and complement the guys we have.  He will probably be nothing more than a bottom six player or even an AHLer but there is a hail mary chance he develops into a complementary power forward who can play in a top six role performing a basic function of board battles, forechecking, and getting the puck to the offensive guys.  We need players who fit that profile, and that is why a fringe NHLer like Di Guiseppe is having success in the kind of system Tocchet has.  

Retaining cap is a non starter as we don't have spare cap going forward with the OEL buyout eating up raises in the cap ceiling.  Whatever we can replace Garland with for $3.25 million in cap space plus $1.25 million in retained salary isn't likely to be better than Garland.

• Cheers 2

26 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Agreed. Also, if we can keep winning and Garland plays well at the same time, it will change everything. Ya, it's very optimistic, but why deal from a position of perceived weakness when we may not even be weak. 

• Cheers 1