[Report] Conor Garland given permission to seek trade

Garland for any of Peeke, Bean, Boqvist, DeMelo, Carrier or Fabbro would definitely be an upgrade on Juulsen.

Garland (1 million retained) for most of those players would clear 1-1.5 million cap space this year. We help the other team by picking up 3 million over 3 years, and they help by taking on an additional 1-1.5 million this season.

Hughes-Hronek

Cole-Trade Addition

Soucy-Myers

Upfront would have space for Mik and Blueger while keeping Hogs in the lines up. Win-win for all involved.

52 minutes ago, Billabong said:

To nsh/cbj: garland, rathbone, 2nd round pick 2025 

to van: lauzon or peeke 

lauzon - 26, LHD 3 years at 2m.

6’1” 205 lb 

peeke - 25, RHD 3years at 2.75m 

6’3” 195 lbs 

Oof…trading that 2nd would sting

Lauzon is an interesting target 

SCOUTING REPORT

The young defenseman competes hard, skates pretty well, generally makes good decisions with and without the puck, and has more offensive skill than he displays. He has a good stick when it comes to breaking up plays. Is willing to lay out to block shots and will step up for his teammates when the situation requires. He has the tools to succeed in the NHL and is still learning to put them together. Can play either side, which also adds value at the highest level.

Long Range Potential:Big, mobile defensive defenseman.

Edited by Huggy Bear
  • Cheers 1

clip from this article:

https://thehockeywriters.com/canucks-trade-options-for-garland-in-2023-24/

Los Angeles Kings

The Los Angeles Kings recently placed Viktor Arvidsson on long-term injured reserve and will likely need to add a winger to their middle six. The organization is a dark horse team to win the Pacific Division, and adding Garland would bolster their forward group. Even when Arvidsson returns, Garland could jump in as a third-line winger.

As for what the Kings would give up, on the right side of their blue line, Matt Roy and Jordan Spence are the two options for the Canucks. Roy is a 28-year-old blueliner and has one year remaining on his contract with a $3.150 million cap hit. The Canucks could swap with the Kings if they’re open to moving Roy. Otherwise, the 22-year-old Spence is another option. He is an RFA after this season. The deal with Los Angeles isn’t the easiest to pull off unless the Canucks are willing to add another depth forward.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

56 minutes ago, Billabong said:

To nsh/cbj: garland, rathbone, 2nd round pick 2025 

to van: lauzon or peeke 

lauzon - 26, LHD 3 years at 2m.

6’1” 205 lb 

peeke - 25, RHD 3years at 2.75m 

6’3” 195 lbs 

either a pick or salary retention but a 2nd is a hefty price in trying to acquire a bottom pairing D. If giving up a good pick, we should be pursuing better D options, imho. Like the trade idea though.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Bob Long said:

Would DeMelo be a good fit with Hughes?

It would continue this years De theme.

DeMelo would definitely be my primary target on the Jets. He been Winnipeg's top PK guy, doesn't shy away from physicality, and can play top 4 minutes. Plus, he's an upcoming UFA and with Pionk in front of him and Schmidt who can play the right side he's expendable. He could be a great stopgap option while we wait for Willander. Probably the biggest hiccup is whether or not we are on his no trade list.

Carrier is my number 1 target from Nashville, but I'm sure they'd much rather trade Fabbro. I definitely wouldn't mind Fabbro but don't want to retain any salary for him.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, RWJC said:

clip from this article:

https://thehockeywriters.com/canucks-trade-options-for-garland-in-2023-24/

Los Angeles Kings

The Los Angeles Kings recently placed Viktor Arvidsson on long-term injured reserve and will likely need to add a winger to their middle six. The organization is a dark horse team to win the Pacific Division, and adding Garland would bolster their forward group. Even when Arvidsson returns, Garland could jump in as a third-line winger.

As for what the Kings would give up, on the right side of their blue line, Matt Roy and Jordan Spence are the two options for the Canucks. Roy is a 28-year-old blueliner and has one year remaining on his contract with a $3.150 million cap hit. The Canucks could swap with the Kings if they’re open to moving Roy. Otherwise, the 22-year-old Spence is another option. He is an RFA after this season. The deal with Los Angeles isn’t the easiest to pull off unless the Canucks are willing to add another depth forward.

I would be very interested in this, also when Milkehev and Bluegger come back... is there room of Hoglander in the bottom 6?

Yes to Matt Roy or Jordan Spence but there is. big cap difference in these guys 

LA has no cap space though? maybe with Arvidsson they have the cap now???

To VAN

LA 2nd round pick 2024

LA 3rd round pick 2025

Matt Roy

To LA 

Hoglander

Garland

Woo

absolutely 

• Vintage 1

5 minutes ago, Diamonds said:

DeMelo would definitely be my primary target on the Jets. He been Winnipeg's top PK guy, doesn't shy away from physicality, and can play top 4 minutes. Plus, he's an upcoming UFA and with Pionk in front of him and Schmidt who can play the right side he's expendable. He could be a great stopgap option while we wait for Willander. Probably the biggest hiccup is whether or not we are on his no trade list.

Carrier is my number 1 target from Nashville, but I'm sure they'd much rather trade Fabbro. I definitely wouldn't mind Fabbro but don't want to retain any salary for him.

De only we get DeMelo is if de Jets decide to tank.  He is playing alongside Josh Morrissey right now and dey have great chemistry.  If I'm Winnipeg, I'm not putting Neal Pionk back on de 1st pair just so I can get another winger.

But if I'm Vancouver?  100% I'm doing it.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, Miss Korea said:

De only we get DeMelo is if de Jets decide to tank.  He is playing alongside Josh Morrissey right now and dey have great chemistry.  If I'm Winnipeg, I'm not putting Neal Pionk back on de 1st pair just so I can get another winger.

But if I'm Vancouver?  100% I'm doing it.

Agreed, it's not really a move that makes sense for a Winnipeg team that just showed they want to compete going forward. If they were thinking about tanking at all they wouldn't have handed out the twin deals they just did. 

16 minutes ago, canucks curse said:

I would be very interested in this, also when Milkehev and Bluegger come back... is there room of Hoglander in the bottom 6?

Yes to Matt Roy or Jordan Spence but there is. big cap difference in these guys 

LA has no cap space though? maybe with Arvidsson they have the cap now???

To VAN

LA 2nd round pick 2024

LA 3rd round pick 2025

Matt Roy

To LA 

Hoglander

Garland

Woo

absolutely 

Dont think we can afford to trade hoglander

hes probably the most likely player we have to give us returns far above his contract value on his next deal

im confident he pots 20 goals this year, hes not going back to abby

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, eeeeeeeeergh said:

Dont think we can afford to trade hoglander

hes probably the most likely player we have to give us returns far above his contract value on his next deal

im confident he pots 20 goals this year, hes not going back to abby

Yup... He basically replaces/is developing in to, our Garland replacement (at 1/4 the cap). That's a no to trading him IMO. Unless it's for a legit guy like Pesce or something, it just doesn't make sense.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Yup... He basically replaces/is developing in to, our Garland replacement (at 1/4 the cap). That's a no to trading him IMO. Unless it's for a legit guy like Pesce or something, it just doesn't make sense.

agreed

side note, i just checked capfriendly for the first time in a while

and our cap situation is actually uhh... not horrible at all

with cap going up 4m next year, and EP getting a 4m raise

we also have 4m of beauvillier dropping off, 6m of myers contract expiring. we probably need to give a raise of 2m or so to hronek. OEL is going to eat up 2m more of cap as well

we'll have around 6m to play with next year, enough for a serious upgrade on Myers

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, eeeeeeeeergh said:

agreed

we also have 4m of beauvillier dropping off, 6m of myers contract expiring. we probably need to give a raise of 2m or so to hronek. OEL is going to eat up 2m more of cap as well

we'll have around 6m to play with next year, enough for a serious upgrade on Myers

Pleaaaaaase

My fear is he'll perform just well enough for management to think he's worth keeping around

Really gotta find a way to slot younger, cheaper forwards into the lineup going forward 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Pleaaaaaase

My fear is he'll perform just well enough for management to think he's worth keeping around

Really gotta find a way to slot younger, cheaper forwards into the lineup going forward 

i think they'll respect RT on matters of roster advice, and beauvillier is 100% not a tocchet type player

4 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Pleaaaaaase

If he survives the TDL, I doubt he survives the summer, not at anything resembling his current contract anyway. And even then he doesn't really fill a roster need. Similar to Garland, we just don't need ANOTHER small'ish, speedy 3rd liner. 

• Like 1

On 10/10/2023 at 12:21 PM, MeanSeanBean said:

Alvin made the biggest buyout in NHL history to undo a terrible trade by Benning. He spent a pick to shed Pearsons cap. He traded picks to get rid of Dickinson, then further traded Stillman for even further cap space. He saved space by shedding 1.5 million with Hammonic, traded players like Motte and Schenn at the deadline.

I really don't know what else Alvin could have done in a flat cap era where so few teams have any cap space to clean up the nearly decade of mismanaged cap by Benning. He's a GM, not a miracle worker.

Sure he can't work miracles that's fine he's still making his bed with the same day to day shortsighted stuff that was the hill Benning died on.

Alvin

-Signed JT Miller until retirement.

-Re upped Brock 6.65 

-Traded 1st + 2nd for Hronek

- Bought out OEL a year early. 

- Kuzz  curious what was being offered for him at last years DL? is Brock your guy 

New MGMT did and does have a lot to work with in terms of making moves with a vision towards the future but the clock is now ticking on Pete, Hughes, Miller, Demko's primes. The reality is they are just as responsible for our current cap situation, and It's still status quo with death by a thousand cuts

-Dropped a turd on Dermis

-4th on Lazer

-5th on Laff

-Lockwood who just had 2 points in 3 preseason games and plays with edge for Kravtsov who fled to his mommy. 

-5th for Bear love Bear but he had zero effect on our season. 

55 minutes ago, RWJC said:

either a pick or salary retention but a 2nd is a hefty price in trying to acquire a bottom pairing D. If giving up a good pick, we should be pursuing better D options, imho. Like the trade idea though.

A 3rd trimmed 1.4m in cap space in the Pearson/desmith deal so I’m guessing a 2nd is the bare minimum if Canucks are shaving off 2-3m in cap space on top of garland being owed 17m in cash in those 3 years 

• Cheers 1

22 minutes ago, eeeeeeeeergh said:

agreed

agreed…we actually have room to make 1-2 upgrades for next year, without losing anyone significant

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Billabong said:

A 3rd trimmed 1.4m in cap space in the Pearson/desmith deal so I’m guessing a 2nd is the bare minimum if Canucks are shaving off 2-3m in cap space on top of garland being owed 17m in cash in those 3 years 

I get that for sure. I just think if we’re still looking for a QH partner, if that’s achievable, then give up an early round pick or two with Garland and pursue someone who definitely adds to the top 4. If we’re looking for a 5/6 in return, wait it out until the TDL and retain the pick. Garland isn’t hurting us right now. He’s still decent depth. Soucy off IR solves an issue. No sense in an overpayment for a stopgap solution. It should be that we go all in for another top 4 Dman if we’re talking including trading a 1st or 2nd round pick + as part of any Garland deal, imho 

Edited by RWJC
  • Cheers 1

24 minutes ago, RWJC said:

I get that for sure. I just think if we’re still looking for a QH partner, if that’s achievable, then give up an early round pick or two with Garland and pursue someone who definitely adds to the top 4. If we’re looking for a 5/6 in return, wait it out until the TDL and retain the pick. Garland isn’t hurting us right now. He’s still decent depth. Soucy off IR solves an issue. No sense in an overpayment for a stopgap solution. It should be that we go all in for another top 4 Dman if we’re talking including trading a 1st or 2nd round pick + as part of any Garland deal, imho 

Yes for sure Canucks need a LEGIT top 4 guy to move the needle but that player is costing us podz + 1st round pick ++ and I don’t know if the Canucks nor the fans have an appetite for that considering the Canucks only have 3 1st round picks in the system (podz, lekkermaki, willander) and as good as they’ve been so far they ain’t cup contenders.  

• Cheers 1