[Report] Conor Garland given permission to seek trade

5 hours ago, RWJC said:

Nashville Predators Trade Rumblings: Interested in Canucks’ Conor Garland?

Chad Minton

7 hours ago

Only a week into the 2023-24 NHL season and already the trade rumors are buzzing, and yes the Nashville Predators are being linked to one player who would be considered still in their prime and maybe just needs a change of scenery.

It is being reported by David Pagnottaof The Fourth Period that the Nashville Predators have inquired about Garland, who has been on the trade block for the Vancouver Canucks for a while now. Dating back to last season.

Garland is in his third season with the Canucks, who are a team that is looking to free up some lineup space and add a little salary cap. They currently have $0 in salary cap space per CapFriendly.

In the Canucks’ first two games, Garland has averaged a meager 9:47 of ice time, but does have a goal and has skated effectively showing he hasn’t let the trade rumors hold him down.

Where Would the Nashville Predators Fit Conor Garland?

I’m sure this makes many of you Predators fans cringe at the thought of another trade rumor piece surrounding this team, and the idea of taking away a lineup spot from the popular youth movement.

Nashville’s forward core is made up of an even balance of veterans and youth. Adding Garland to the mix would possibly push out a younger player depending on who would be part of a trade to Vancouver.

“I GIVE GARLAND A LOT OF CREDIT. HE HAS KNOWN THE TEAM HAS BEEN TRYING TO MOVE HIM FOR A YEAR AND A HALF – BASICALLY SINCE JIM RUTHERFORD TOOK OVER – AND HE’S BEEN A GOOD SOLDIER THROUGHOUT.” -DAVID PAGNOTTA OF THE FOURTH PERIOD 

Pagnotta’s reporting suggests that Dante Fabbro could be a trade piece for Nashville in a potential trade for Garland. Fabbro’s name coming up shouldn’t surprise anyone. I’d argue he’s at the top of Nashville’s trade block list and will remain there all the way up to the trade deadline in 2024.

Garland put up a 46-point campaign for Vancouver in 2022-23 while being the subject of trade rumors. He’s a solid top-six player who is on Vancouver’s top line right now, and if you throw him into the mix with Nashville it could push fringe players out like Kiefer Sherwood and Cole Smith out.

It’s also being reported that Vancouver will likely have to retain some of Garland’s $4.95M AAV, but how much is speculation. On the flip side, the Predators have cap space to play around with at roughly just over $7.8M, while Fabbro makes just $2.5M AAV.

A lot of numbers to crunch, but the question is obviously if Garland is worth shaking up the core of this roster yet again. A roster that has already gone through so much change since last trade deadline, and is still trying to find its way after three games.

Although Garland would be a boost to the offense and even provide more help to the power play, which is 1-for-14 through three games, this also comes with some baggage. Garland has two more years left, so you have to hope he provides you a noticeable boost to the lineup to take on two more years with him.

Might be a Good Idea to Flip Fabbro for Garland

Being just shy of 28-years-old, it is a positive that Garland is still in the middle of his prime and could blossom with a new team. He has never surpassed 52 points in season, but has always been a steady contributor for both the Coyotes and Canucks.

Garland can also go out and get you some clutch goals in critical moments, and the Predators have always been thin at the winger spot when it comes to that.

The negative ripple effect to this is of course, does that mean Evangelista or Tomasino get buried further down the depth chart to find space for Garland? You’re not trading for Garland for him to be in a bottom-six minimal role. Just not happening.

I’m honestly torn on how I feel about this. On one hand it’s probably time to move on from Fabbro, and flipping him for a veteran top-six forward who still has upside would be worth it for Fabbro.

Additionally, there’s no indication at all that Fabbro will be here past next offseason as he’ll be a RFA with arbitration eligibility.

If this trade were to happen, the Predators would have a rock solid top-six with some offensive playmakers, but their defensive corps would get a little thinner. With that said, it comes down to how much faith they have in their current defensive prospects like Jake Livingstone, Spencer Stastney and Jordan Gross.

The Predators could survive with moving on from Fabbro in favor of adding Garland to their forwards, and you could even say they’d be a better overall team in that swap. The risk is supplanting your youth, shaking up more chemistry and potentially carrying a failed project for another two years on the books if it doesn’t work out.

https://predlines.com/2023/10/16/nashville-predators-rumors-garland/

Fabbro to me hasn't been the player he was. Is he a good gamble to take on for Garland? 

3 minutes ago, filthy animal said:

If Garland's salary was 3 mill per, I don't think anybody would be complaining

Yeah, for sure. Unfortunately, it's closer to 5M. 

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

Fabbro to me hasn't been the player he was. Is he a good gamble to take on for Garland? 

Yeah, for sure. Unfortunately, it's closer to 5M. 

Absolutely you make that deal of Fabbro. Garland is a nice player but man oh man, if Fabbro hits, like he becomes a top 4 here, that is an absolute steal. Even if Fabbro becomes just a permanent fixture in the bottom pair, thats already worth it. We already have a surplus of wingers. Defencemen are such a commodity that you sometimes have to swing for the fences.

I know that idiot of the GM that we had here (Benning) made some terrible moves here but trading a 4th for Pouiliot I felt was one of his better deals. Pouliot did well here his first year but just went downhill the next but it was worth it just to see if anything there can be salvaged. High pedigree D-men Im always going to take a chance on if the cost is just a mid round pick or an expendable piece because the rewards are just too great to pass up.

Edited by filthy animal

5 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

Podkolzin is the question mark. I thought he was going to make it into a top six role ideally, but I think many projected him to become a middle six player. So if that's what he becomes if he does hit, then it ain't that bad. 

If u can get a legit young top 4 D for a middle 6 + you take that trade. Middle 6 can easily be found vs a top 4 D. Heck we have a few middle 6 that we wanted to move ourselves. Nothing against pods, if he’s going to be floating between the 3rd or 4th line on the Canucks if he get a call up. I’d gladly move him for a top 4D if there’s an opportunity. He’s not going to get a chance in the top 6 unless we have some serious injury issue most of the top 6 players are signed for next season also. We have an abundance of prospect that can play the middle 6 role eventually.. raty karlsson etc

I know we want to move Garland but when the team is bonding like they are right now and on a bit of a winning streak, I don't think you go in and make too many changes. Sure, Garland played like 9 minutes last night, but I'd be tempted to hold fire for now and just see where this team goes.

It has to be done and I'm a big fan of moving him for a defenceman, but we just owned a cup contender back-to-back. If we end up on a decent winning streak here (which is very possible with the lowly Flyers up next and a Tampa team who isn't playing too well) then you don't touch the squad.

8 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I wouldn’t trade Podkolzin unless we are getting a power forward back. Lawson Crouse or Trent Frederic. 

Well... we'd be super lucky if Columbus is also interested in Podz.... Roslovic will solve our 3C void immediately. Anyhow, we'll see how long it'll take to fill our voids in RHD and 3C.... it's pretty obvious Columbus would be an ideal trade partner for a bigger deal.

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, RakuRaku said:

Roslovic will solve our 3C void immediately

Is he that much more of an upgrade to Suter?... I don't think so... Again, it would be a big mistake to trade Podz right now.  Similar to a Neely scenario with a lot less fighting and a little less scoring but same cultural impact to Neely.  

To many here have been spoiled by the quick development of Petey, and Hughes.   Or traumatized by the busts in Virtanen and Juolevi.  Black or white.... What about grey?  Podz and Högs... But especially Podz, are taking a little longer mentally to be ready... That's it.  So far management seems to feel that way too, otherwise Podz and Högs would be gone by now.  

The wait will be worth it.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

The problem for Garland in Vancouver is, we have too many guys ahead of him for top or even middle 6 players. He's too good to be a 4the line guy and way too expensive for that role.

He's a good player, but there's not really a spot for him here that works for him.

Really hope we find somewhere he can be happy and be effective. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 2

19 hours ago, RakuRaku said:

We should aim for a bigger deal by offloading BOTH Garland and Beauvillier.... we seriously don't need them around if we can get Podz back with some boosted confidence & consistency!!

All we need now is a solid RHD plus a gritty guy tougher than Joshua in return!! The key is whether we'll give up picks/prospects or retain some salary %!!

You don't make big trades based off of IFs 

1 hour ago, VegasCanuck said:

The problem for Garland in Vancouver is, we have too many guys ahead of him for top or even middle 6 players. He's too good to be a 4the line guy and way too expensive for that role.

He's a good player, but there's not really a spot for him here that works for him.

Really hope we find somewhere he can be happy and be effective. 

CHI makes too much sense. No cap issues, don't have to give us much of a return, could play him on 1st or 2nd line there. Plays the right way. 

52 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

CHI makes too much sense. No cap issues, don't have to give us much of a return, could play him on 1st or 2nd line there. Plays the right way. 

Problem with Chicago is that they are gonna ask a 2nd rounder to take Garland off our hands. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

I know we want this trade to happen asap but I'm also okay with the patience shown by our management. There appears to be interest for Garlands service from some teams so it's not purely a cap dump. After getting DeSmith and Lafferty I have some faith in PA now to find the right trade. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Hogs and Podz said:

Is he that much more of an upgrade to Suter?... I don't think so... Again, it would be a big mistake to trade Podz right now.  Similar to a Neely scenario with a lot less fighting and a little less scoring but same cultural impact to Neely.  

To many here have been spoiled by the quick development of Petey, and Hughes.   Or traumatized by the busts in Virtanen and Juolevi.  Black or white.... What about grey?  Podz and Högs... But especially Podz, are taking a little longer mentally to be ready... That's it.  So far management seems to feel that way too, otherwise Podz and Högs would be gone by now.  

The wait will be worth it.

I haven't paid 100% close attention to Suter's play... but so far those shifts that I watched were pretty meh..... Suter is more of an offensive winger.... maybe a bit more 2-way than Beauvillier but we seriously need a bigger power forward type at 3C for long term!! kinda like a new Ryan Kesler if at all possible.... and I believe Roslovic is remotely close to that mould... but I kinda doubt Columbus would trade him at this point.

11 minutes ago, RakuRaku said:

I haven't paid 100% close attention to Suter's play... but so far those shifts that I watched were pretty meh..... Suter is more of an offensive winger.... maybe a bit more 2-way than Beauvillier but we seriously need a bigger power forward type at 3C for long term!! kinda like a new Ryan Kesler if at all possible.... and I believe Roslovic is remotely close to that mould... but I kinda doubt Columbus would trade him at this point.

Suter's fo% so far is through the roof.  That's a great start to being an effective 3rd line center.  Tocc has praised him for having a high hockey iq for where to be in the defensive zone.  

So far he's exactly what the doctor ordered!  Has some offensive acumen as well.  When Bluger comes back and with Lafferty... We'll have all the grit, hard to play against players throughout our line-up.  Our make-up is changing before our eyes... In a very positive way.

• Cheers 1

20 minutes ago, RakuRaku said:

Suter's been one of the brightest spots of our bottom 6. He's been consistently making great defensive plays, and has played a vital part of our defensive game; defensive faceoffs and penalty killing to be exact. He's a role player that is shifting his game to fit this team's need. The offense will come once Blueger comes back and takes most of the defensive responsibility, allowing Suter to play 2-way hockey. 

• Cheers 2

12 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Roslovic can play centre and right wing, similar to Lafferty. He doesn’t kill penalties and is not great defensively but he could replace Garland’s point production on the 3rd line. His contract also expires in the summer, so his $4 million would be off the books in a year. 

I’d definitely do Roslovic for Garland, especially if no money is retained. However, I’m assuming Columbus wants to get rid of a RHDman as well. 

Both Roslovic and Peeke were scratched tonight. I could see a bigger deal with both of them. 

To Vancouver:

Andrew Peeke

Jack Roslovic 

To Columbus:

Conor Garland

Pius Suter

Aidan McDonough

Jack Rathbone 

I know we just got Suter and he’s playing well, but we’d have to match the salary coming back. In this trade it works cap wise for Vancouver and we get $4 million off the books next season. Roslovic would replace Suter as 3C. And Blueger could also play as 3C. 

Zero chance Suter is traded imo.

• Vintage 1

10 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

Yep. This is key. If Mantha has lost his desire to compete, and work hard, then that's not the kind of player we want or need in the locker room let alone on the ice. Your right, at least Garland works his ass off on the ice.  I'd rather have a smaller guy who works hard, than a big guy who's lazy. 

I'd rather just get of rid of Garland's salary for 3 years and deal with Mantha for one year. The math is simple. I'd rather have neither.

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, Gawdzukes said:

I'd rather just get of rid of Garland's salary for 3 years and deal with Mantha for one year. The math is simple. I'd rather have neither.

I could see Mantha having something of a useful resurgence under Tocc. But who cares really just shed the longer cap situation.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, 24K said:

Problem with Chicago is that they are gonna ask a 2nd rounder to take Garland off our hands. 

Unfortunately you're probably right. Likely the only reason they are actually kicking tires is to see if they can gain some more draft picks.

5 hours ago, RakuRaku said:

Well... we'd be super lucky if Columbus is also interested in Podz.... Roslovic will solve our 3C void immediately. Anyhow, we'll see how long it'll take to fill our voids in RHD and 3C.... it's pretty obvious Columbus would be an ideal trade partner for a bigger deal.

The Canucks have a 3C in Suter and from all I have heard is that he has shown well thus far. I don't see any need to mess with that.

The priority should remain another very capable defenseman for the team in any trade especially if involving Garland. I also believe Bear is coming back at a pro-rated contract when he is healthy.

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Bob Long said:

But, they will want to weaponize that space is the problem. 

It's not about his overall value, it's about his cap hit and the value they can extract with that at the deadline from other teams.

1 hour ago, VegasCanuck said:

But, they will want to weaponize that space is the problem. 

It's not about his overall value, it's about his cap hit and the value they can extract with that at the deadline from other teams.

probably. OTOH they can get a decent top 6 player for free. 

Dunno, we'll see how it all shakes. I hope something is done by the end of the road trip. 

• Cheers 1