[Report] Conor Garland given permission to seek trade

59 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

I like that this management team doesn't seem very interested in dragging their heels. 

Seems to me like they work hard to make sure whatever they do it's a step forward in value. Sometimes it's a small deal like yesterday, sometimes it's the Bo deal. But so far I see most moves they've made as net positive.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

This might make a Fabbro trade a little less likely in near future…

Luke Schenn Out Four To Six Weeks With Lower Body Injury

October 18th, 2023 at 10:47am CST • By Gabriel Foley

The Nashville Predators have announced that defenseman Luke Schenn will be out long-term after sustaining a lower-body injury. Schenn has been out of action since the team’s season opener. He played 15 minutes in the inaugural game,  recording four hits, a blocked shot, and no points.

The source of Schenn’s lower-body injury hasn’t been narrowed down, but it will hold him out until closer to December. The Predators signed Schenn to a three-year, $8.25MM contract this summer, carrying an annual cap hit of $2.75MM. Schenn earned the deal after a strong 2022-23 season, split between the Vancouver Canucks and Toronto Maple Leafs.

Schenn played 70 games throughout the season, netting four goals and 22 points. But it was Schenn’s extra stats that stood out, with the defender recording 318 hits and 81 shot blocks throughout the year. His postseason earned a lot of attention as well, with Schenn showing out as a stalwart defender and a major piece of the Leafs first-round series win. Schenn added 54 hits in 11 Stanley Cup Playoff games, the second-most “hits-per-game” of the postseason.

Dante Fabbro has slotted into the Predators lineup in place of Schenn. Fabbro appeared in 79 games for the Predators last season, recording 11 points and 50 penalty minutes. This was a step down in scoring from Fabbro’s 2021-22 campaign, where he netted 24 points in 66 games. The 25-year-old defender has tallied a total of 256 games and 59 points through his career so far, entering his sixth year of NHL experience.

The Predators are 1-3-0 to start the season, allowing an average of 3.5 goals-against. If and how they are able to reduce that number, despite being down their latest blue line signing, should be telling for the club.

https://www.prohockeyrumors.com/2023/10/luke-schenn-out-four-to-six-weeks-with-lower-body-injury.html#ref=home

Edited by RWJC

1 minute ago, RWJC said:

Thus might make a Fabbro trade a little less likely in near future…

The Nashville Predators have announced that defenseman Luke Schenn will be out long-term after sustaining a lower-body injury. Schenn has been out of action since the team’s season opener. He played 15 minutes in the inaugural game,  recording four hits, a blocked shot, and no points.

The source of Schenn’s lower-body injury hasn’t been narrowed down, but it will hold him out until closer to December. The Predators signed Schenn to a three-year, $8.25MM contract this summer, carrying an annual cap hit of $2.75MM. Schenn earned the deal after a strong 2022-23 season, split between the Vancouver Canucks and Toronto Maple Leafs.

Schenn played 70 games throughout the season, netting four goals and 22 points. But it was Schenn’s extra stats that stood out, with the defender recording 318 hits and 81 shot blocks throughout the year. His postseason earned a lot of attention as well, with Schenn showing out as a stalwart defender and a major piece of the Leafs first-round series win. Schenn added 54 hits in 11 Stanley Cup Playoff games, the second-most “hits-per-game” of the postseason.

Dante Fabbro has slotted into the Predators lineup in place of Schenn. Fabbro appeared in 79 games for the Predators last season, recording 11 points and 50 penalty minutes. This was a step down in scoring from Fabbro’s 2021-22 campaign, where he netted 24 points in 66 games. The 25-year-old defender has tallied a total of 256 games and 59 points through his career so far, entering his sixth year of NHL experience.

The Predators are 1-3-0 to start the season, allowing an average of 3.5 goals-against. If and how they are able to reduce that number, despite being down their latest blue line signing, should be telling for the club.

https://www.prohockeyrumors.com/2023/10/luke-schenn-out-four-to-six-weeks-with-lower-body-injury.html#ref=home

Fine. Alvin will take Josi instead. 

4 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

Seems to me like they work hard to make sure whatever they do it's a step forward in value. Sometimes it's a small deal like yesterday, sometimes it's the Bo deal. But so far I see most moves they've made as net positive.

And that they're replacing the player leaving with one that fits an identity they're looking to develop. 

Just now, Mando27 said:

Shhh don't give anyone ideas, haven't seen that thread pop up again.

Summer Water GIF by Archives of Ontario | Archives publiques de l'Ontario

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Provost said:

That is true, but that is parsing what he said in a meaningless way.

Garlands value is inextricably tied to his cap hit.  You can’t separate the two.

The poster a few posts above went on a rant about how dumb folks here and the media were talking about possibly having to retain cap or take other bad money back… and that lots of teams are interested in Garland and will give up assets for him now.

Weird to that we haven’t moved him yet if that was the case.

I entirely agree with you, the only reason Garland doesn’t have value now if the flat cap.  I have said repeatedly that when (if) the cap rises significantly next summer, teams will be signing worse players than Garland for more money.  He will likely have at least some value then, or at least neutral value.

He is one of our best winger.  Only Kuzmenko, Boeser, and Mikheyev are better.  Other guys on our team may complement the top two lines better, and Garland may just not be a fit… but he is a good solid player.

I hope the team is patient and waits this out the season, or at least any deal doesn’t involve US sending sweeteners or retaining.  Ideally there is a contract we take back that is a couple million less but also a good player and on shorter term.  That is the only likely winning scenario for an in season trade.

Maybe a smart GM doesn’t move the asset until he can get good value for him when he doesn’t need to?

You say why isn’t he moved yet? Have you not noticed in the off-season no one wanted him (aka give up assets to move him) to 2 teams interested and now 5?

it’s called creating pricing tension in my world, aka a bidding war to get as much as possible. Even if that’s moving from a 3rd rounder to a 2nd as an example. 

so yes I’m right 

• Haha 1

Just now, BlockerHigh said:

Maybe a smart GM doesn’t move the asset until he can get good value for him when he doesn’t need to?

You say why isn’t he moved yet? Have you not noticed in the off-season no one wanted him (aka give up assets to move him) to 2 teams interested and now 5?

it’s called creating pricing tension in my world, aka a bidding war to get as much as possible. Even if that’s moving from a 3rd rounder to a 2nd as an example. 

so yes I’m right 

I think its more that Allvin is waiting to see who needs a top 6 upgrade and/or has injury issues. To move Garly they need another team to have a pain point big enough that our cap is a non-issue, they just want a good top 6 for cheap. 

10 minutes ago, BlockerHigh said:

so yes I’m right 

Sorry,

I didn't see the trade in the appropriate section.  What team gave us a 2nd round pick.  That is great news!  You can probably beat Vintage if you hurry and post it now!

Here I was thinking we would have to take a contract back to make money work.

There were teams interested previously but they wanted us to retain salary and give sweeteners.  We had more cap space then than now.  Where is your logic that his value has gone up now that we have cap space.  We don't have any cap space now.  We had cap space after our moves this summer before the signings we made, Garland has been on the block for more than a year.  You contention is that Allvin and JR are smart for having bought out OEL and created a bunch of dead cap going forward just to maximize the return on Garland instead of just moving Garland?  That is just weird

Edited by Provost

28 minutes ago, RWJC said:

This might make a Fabbro trade a little less likely in near future…

This is good news to me. Fabbro, while decent size doesn’t have much bite to his game. I’ve never been too impressed watching him.

Peeke sounds like a better target. But i’ll be honest, I had no idea this guy existed till now lol. Columbus is not a team I watch, like ever.

I’m a Canuck fan, but I do dabble in other teams…mostly because i’ve worked over the years with so many people from all over states and canada. Hockey for all of us has always been an ice breaker. It gave us things to talk about while working away from our spouses. 

The only problem is fighting for the TV who’s game you’re watching lol.

By the by…Oilers fans are by far the worst of them all lol.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Provost said:

Sorry,

I didn't see the trade in the appropriate section.  What team gave us a 2nd round pick.  That is great news!  You can probably beat Vintage if you hurry and post it now!

There were teams interested previously but they wanted us to retain salary and give sweeteners.  We had more cap space then than now.  Where is your logic that his value has gone up now that we have cap space.  We don't have any cap space now.  We had cap space after our moves this summer before the signings we made, Garland has been on the block for more than a year.  You contention is that Allvin and JR are smart for having bought out OEL and created a bunch of dead cap going forward just to maximize the return on Garland instead of just moving Garland?  That is just weird

i suggested garland to chicago for a prospect and our own 2nd round pick back. friedman said, chicago could use garland more than any other team.

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, smithers joe said:

i suggested garland to chicago for a prospect and our own 2nd round pick back. friedman said, chicago could use garland more than any other team.

I like this idea Joe.

Our abby canucks coach Jeremy Colliton coached both the AHL team and the NHL club. I bet we could find some value there with guys he’s familiar with development wise.

• Like 1

After the season starts you don’t usually see many significant trades until around New Year. 
Occasionally, but teams did their work in the off-season and with the cap so tight it is hard to make a move. 
I know we are always trying but will be hard to find a partner unless a significant injury happens. 

20 minutes ago, smithers joe said:

I just don’t understand Chicago giving out crazy money to Perry and AA. There are tons of teams that would love to give them better players like Garland to just shed salary. With Bedard going there I’m surprised they didn’t find a deal earlier to bring in a player or two like a Garland. Hopefully something happens soon.

1 hour ago, Attila Umbrus said:

This is good news to me. Fabbro, while decent size doesn’t have much bite to his game. I’ve never been too impressed watching him.

Peeke sounds like a better target. But i’ll be honest, I had no idea this guy existed till now lol. Columbus is not a team I watch, like ever.

I’m a Canuck fan, but I do dabble in other teams…mostly because i’ve worked over the years with so many people from all over states and canada. Hockey for all of us has always been an ice breaker. It gave us things to talk about while working away from our spouses. 

The only problem is fighting for the TV who’s game you’re watching lol.

By the by…Oilers fans are by far the worst of them all lol.

Peeke is a relatively young, big, physical, and defensive-minded right shot defenseman. The past two seasons he averaged over 21min/game, over 3min/game on PK, 185 hits/season, and only missed 2 games. Now, if he was on a contender would he still be playing 20+ minutes a night? Maybe, maybe not. But realistically there isn't a better option out there without giving up major pieces.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Diamonds said:

Peeke is a relatively young, big, physical, and defensive-minded right shot defenseman. The past two seasons he averaged over 21min/game, over 3min/game on PK, 185 hits/season, and only missed 2 games. Now, if he was on a contender would he still be playing 20+ minutes a night? Maybe, maybe not. But realistically there isn't a better option out there without giving up major pieces.

Thanks for the info. Plus it sounds like his cap hit fits well with our situation. We just don’t have much wiggle room to go chasing any big fish RD. So he does sound like the best option available imo.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Provost said:

Sorry,

You don’t seem to understand my point

And you also seem to be putting a lot of words in my mouth that I never posted 

responding to being shown you’re wrong by trying to create words that I never said and attributing them to me, to use as defense for your argument is adolescent and shows you lack the ability to accept you can be wrong 

the POINT WAS 

ALVIN WASN’T WILLING TO GIVE UP ASSETS TO MOVE GARLAND BECAUSE HE HAS VALUE 

TEAMS WERE TRYING TO HOLD US HOSTAGE IN THE OFF-SEASON DUE TO CAP ISSUES 

ALVIN UNDERSTOOD THIS AND WAITED 

NOW HE CAN MOVE HIM FOR AN ASSET Vs PAYING ONE TO MOVE HIM

THE SECOND ROUND PICK WAS A HYPOTHETICAL EXAMPLE OF HOW A BIDDING WAR CAN HELP - NO ONE SAID WE’RE GETTING A SECOND OR EVEN A THIRD

TAKE A COURSE IN READING COMPREHENSION 

Edited by BlockerHigh

1 hour ago, smithers joe said:

I have been screaming Chicago since the offseason, they need to give Bedard some more speed and skill to play with. This also would give Garland the oppty to play top 6 where he can contribute. 

38 minutes ago, Diamonds said:

CBJ fans talk of Peeke like Van fans talk of Myers, not sure we should even bother. Rather get a pick. Maybe it’s the team but I hate reclamation projects from poor teams, seldom works out. 

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, BlockerHigh said:

CBJ fans talk of Peeke like Van fans talk of Myers, not sure we should even bother. Rather get a pick. Maybe it’s the team but I hate reclamation projects from poor teams, seldom works out. 

He's way more physical than Myers, plays a harder matchup role (with a lower OZ start %), and makes less than half as much. No one is pretending he's a magical top 2 defenseman (he wouldn't be remotely available if he was), and his numbers took a hit after Gavrikov was traded. But I'm pretty confident he's an upgrade on Myers.

Also he isn't a reclamation project, he's 25 and has been logging top 4 minutes the past two seasons. It's just that he's young enough he can still improve. But even if Willander comes in and immediately supplants him next season he's cheap enough that he would still look good on our 3rd pairing.

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1