[Report] Conor Garland given permission to seek trade

4 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Yup. Clear off as much of the Gnome’s cap and use some of it to sign Ethan Bear. 

Bear would solidify the back end more than his individual value as a player.  We’re really missing another puck mover after Hughes and Hronek.

edit: and Hronek isn’t even that strong in that area.

Edited by The Duke

27 minutes ago, The Duke said:

Bear would solidify the back end more than his individual value as a player.  We’re really missing another puck mover after Hughes and Hronek.

Agree on Bear. He stood out to me for making quick, accurate passes. Sometimes with a little fake to lose a defender. Seems pretty obvious they plan to bring him back as soon as he’s healthy.

Dayal did a deep dive on Hronek’s footage, and basically said he’s better at carrying the puck into the zone vs passing (IIRC)

Still early days, but Hughes & Hronek should become more dominant as they learn each other’s games.

Edited by Huggy Bear
  • Cheers 2

2 hours ago, EternalCanuckFan said:

Retaining $1.5M still means clearing about $3.5M in cap, so I can see management looking at it positively that way (especially if teams aren't insisting on a further sweetener). It will give space for EP's raise, and to fill out the rest of the lineup.

But I agree with your points. It's pretty brutal to basically have a top 6 winger cap hit worth of dead cap (or a top 4 D).

The Canucks are very fortunate that Hughes signed for a longer term than EP.

The team really needs some prospects to play way above value.

Except it doesn't clear that cap space because you have to also replace him.   You aren't likely getting better than Garland for $3.5 million.  Almost every other team needs to move money back our way to make a deal so at best you are likely bringing back a player with just this year left on term to free up money later.

If we are retaining salary on that, we need to be getting a really good young NHL roster player on an ELC for the next couple years who will be artificially cheap and make up for even more dead cap.

Edited by Provost
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

7 minutes ago, Provost said:

Except it doesn't clear that cap space because you have to also replace him.   You aren't likely getting better than Garland for $3.5 million.  Almost every other team needs to move money back our way to make a deal so at best you are likely bringing back a player with just this year left on term to free up money later.

If we are retaining salary on that, we need to be getting a really good young NHL roster player on an ELC for the next couple years who will be artificially cheap and make up for even more dead cap.

The only way I see it is if Hogs is that young player (forward) and Garland + brings a quality righty. Tall order though. 

18 minutes ago, Huggy Bear said:

Agree on Bear. He stood out to me for making quick, accurate passes. Sometimes with a little fake to lose a defender. Seems pretty obvious they plan to bring him back as soon as he’s healthy.

Dayal did a deep dive on Hronek’s footage, and basically said he’s better at carrying the puck into the zone vs passing (IIRC)

Still early days, but Hughes & Hronek should become more dominant as they learn each other’s games.

I definitely feel Bear is in the mix. A safe backstop if nothing else.

• Cheers 1

24 minutes ago, Provost said:

I agree that the cap space from a Garland trade isn't truly cleared since there are still roster needs. That's why I mentioned that the Canucks really need their young prospects to play way above their contract values. This would include incoming players.

Not a fan of retention, but just trying to find a silver lining if it happens.

1 hour ago, The Duke said:

Hronek is actually a brilliant puck mover, by passing. He was a frighin’ steal! Yzerboy wax a moron to trade him away. Now the Wings are relying on Slo Mo, who is a PUCK XUCKER! 
Yes, Alf is boozing. 🤣

• Haha 1

Question.  Why did Garland change agents right before the season started?

Why did he create that drama?

He said that he is focused on the start of the season when he was asked about it.

But what happened?  Why change agents right before the season starts? It's really curious. Why not change in the middle of the summer.  

The timing of the change of agents makes me think he asked for a trade and it didn't happen.

Then when he was asked about it he wouldn't admit it.

If this is true Nux need to move him out asap.

Can't have negative selfish players putting themselves above the team to start the year. No?

4 minutes ago, fanfor42 said:

Question.  Why did Garland change agents right before the season started?

Why did he create that drama?

He said that he is focused on the start of the season when he was asked about it.

But what happened?  Why change agents right before the season starts? It's really curious. Why not change in the middle of the summer.  

The timing of the change of agents makes me think he asked for a trade and it didn't happen.

Then when he was asked about it he wouldn't admit it.

If this is true Nux need to move him out asap.

Can't have negative selfish players putting themselves above the team to start the year. No?

…or it was the agent’s strategy and it backfired?

1 hour ago, The Duke said:

It’s certainly a couple of bold moves by management to buy out OEL and retain on Garland.  

While they’re overpaid, both guys aren’t bad players - OEL seems to have bounced back from the injury this year, too.

Just don’t fit the vision I guess.  I like what management has done so far, so I’m good with it but these moves are decisions rather than necessities.

THere was, really, no reason to move on from either player, other than Tocchet clearly had a bug up his ass about them bth from Arizona.  Garland is a solid contributor who can play up and down the lineup and OEL seems to be playing well in Fla.

IMO, this management group has not played this very well.

• Cheers 3

24 minutes ago, fanfor42 said:

What do you mean? His new agent or old agent?  Agents don't ask for a trade unless their player tells them to right?

Old agent. And obviously Garland wants to move on. Sometimes agents just don’t approach it the right way. As an example, we’ve seen that previously occur in contract negotiations. Why else would he fire his agent…maybe simply because of a lack of transaction? I’m obviously just spitballing but Garland must be frustrated by now 

Edited by RWJC

1 minute ago, RWJC said:

Old agent. And obviously Garland wants to move on. Sometimes agents just don’t approach it the right way. As an example, we’ve seen that previously occur in contract negotiations. Why else would he fire his agent…lack of transaction?

Yes I agree with you and that is exactly my point.  Garland asked for a trade, it didn't work out so he fired his agent and hired a new one who then pushed the nux hard to deal him.

If this is true, Garland needs to go asap.

Doubt he's popular in the room right now.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, fanfor42 said:

Yes I agree with you and that is exactly my point.  Garland asked for a trade, it didn't work out so he fired his agent and hired a new one who then pushed the nux hard to deal him.

Yup. Sit his Gnome ass in the press box. He’s a tumour that must be cut out. He’s clearly one selfish little gnome. 

52 minutes ago, EternalCanuckFan said:

I agree that the cap space from a Garland trade isn't truly cleared since there are still roster needs. That's why I mentioned that the Canucks really need their young prospects to play way above their contract values. This would include incoming players.

Not a fan of retention, but just trying to find a silver lining if it happens.

The silver lining is ownership getting closer to losing patience with this management group and replacing them sooner.

• Haha 1

Just now, Alflives said:

And we can get Benning back, because he was so good! 🤣

He's done less permanent damage to the organization than the idiot he replaced or the baboons he was replaced with.  Not saying he was good, but we haven't had competent management since Nonis.  Anything that drives Rutherford out of town is good for the franchise long-term.

• Haha 2
  • Cheers 1

35 minutes ago, fanfor42 said:

It was the same situation for Brock.  How does it feel for a lifetime hockey player to know that his

team are searching high and low to find a team that will take him.  But, alas...no takers, but said

player knows the management wants him gone.  Such an unbearable situation, so why not get

the agent to give it a try?  I doubt the other players have any bad feelings for either of these guys.

They understand the situation thoroughly and do not blame their teammates.

2 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

He's done less permanent damage to the organization than the idiot he replaced or the baboons he was replaced with.  Not saying he was good, but we haven't had competent management since Nonis.  Anything that drives Rutherford out of town is good for the franchise long-term.

Let’s see. Benning 8 years of hands on damage plus 8 years of damage after he’s gone caused by his terrible choices while here. 16 years of negative impact. New management is much like Gillis though. So we will pull out of the Benning craperolla sooner and be great again. 

5 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Did he kill your cat or something?