[Report] Conor Garland given permission to seek trade

27 minutes ago, 204CanucksFan said:

Just curious if you would be ok if retaining $1.485M for 3 years if that meant a team like CBJ traded a low high end/ high med end (A-/B+) prospect like Ceulemans straight across or with a MUCH smaller sweetener.

Ceulemans will be on his ELC for all 3 years we are retaining on Garland. I think something like this makes sense (I don't want Peeke) for both sides. CBJ is reportedly interested, have just under $3.5M in cap space, are very much in a 'Must Win' season for Jarmo, are basically a black hole on both wings once you get past Laine and Gaudreau, and they, even after this trade, would still have an overstock of young NHL ready RHD in Boqvist and Jiricek developing behind 8 years of Severson. And $3.5M is a pretty good deal for a winger that is 75th in the league in even strength goals over the last 4 years.

Van gets a quality RHD prospect on the cheap for 3 years that doesn't need to be immediately rushed to the NHL and could very well be #1 RHD in Abby. We would also be trading away from a position we actually have glut of, middle 6 NHL wingers. We gain $3.5M in cap and overall just feel better with a happier outlook for the future of the team.

Until we wake up from this fantasy dream world 🤣

That would be an awesome trade for us. Maybe Jarmo wants to go out with a bang.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, AnthonyG said:

Problem is they also doubled down on this roster.

re-signed Miller, qualified Boeser, signed Mikheyev to sign Kuzmenko, didnt move Garland last year when he had value, probably could have had interest in Myers. Statistically could shown value in a trade with 1.5-2mil retained. Hell retain 2.5mill if you have to, retention on his contract would have been such a much better penalty to take than a buyout. This current management group made its own bed to sleep in. There were many other ways to go about handling things. But they openly stated missing playoffs would be an utter failure for this group. 

I got laughed at for screaming to trade Garland, stating Hoglander makes him redundant. Very similar players, Hogs has skill, strong as hell, just needs top 6 opportunities to showcase more of what he can do at a fraction of the cost.

I'm not sure, why you got laughed at for wanting to trade Garland. 
I think, its been known for a long time, that the 3 players likely having to go in order to make funds available for players that we need, was 1 or 2 of Brock, Garland and Beau, as they are the high earners. Mika is PAs man so he is likely safe. 

Hogs was always in the picture to take a spot on the team either now or later, so I think Garland going would be very likely. 
We are short of beef in the line up. Fast players that are hard to play against. 
And our D was/is still not perfect, so the money they had to find, would come from 1-2 of the 3 winger mentioned and/or 1-2 of the Dmen. 

Whether it was bad business remains to be seen. I think they felt it had to be done, while they still had Petey on a reletively good contract. 

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

18 minutes ago, spook007 said:

I'm not sure, why you got laughed at for wanting to trade Garland. 
I think, its been known for a long time, that the 3 players likely having to go in order to make funds available for players that we need, was 1 or 2 of Brock, Garland and Beau, as they are the high earners. Mika is PAs man so he is likely safe. 

Hogs was always in the picture to take a spot on the team either now or later, so I think Garland going would be very likely. 
We are short of beef in the line up. Fast players that are hard to play against. 
And our D was/is still not perfect, so the money they had to find, would come from 1-2 of the 3 winger mentioned and/or 1-2 of the Dmen. 

Whether it was bad business remains to be seen. I think they felt it had to be done, while they still had Petey on a reletively good contract. 

Yup. It’s either retool the supporting cast around our core or rebuild for 5-7 years to collect a new core and then retool for 2-5 years around the core. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

Yup. It’s either retool the supporting cast around our core or rebuild for 5-7 years to collect a new core and then retool for 2-5 years around the core. 

They should have continued with BB and gone for a top 3 pick last season..

Chicago finished 3rd from bottom that could have been us who got Bedard. We were definitely trending that way.

You need to build a decent team and core then go for a couple of top 3 picks to get the top tier star players on ELC and first RFA contracts..

Penguins had that and got Malkin and Crosby

Blackhawks had that and got Toews and Kane.

Both teams won multiple Cups because they already had solid cores built from the D out. They added the young studs with top picks and went off to the races. 

Edited by WHL rocks
  • Huggy Bear 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Billabong said:

I wonder if a 2 for 2 swap has been discussed with Washington 

to wsh: garland, Myers 

to van: Mantha, Jensen 

Canucks shed 1.1m in cap space and wsh gets the best/youngest player in the deal 

Would have to throw in a pick. Jensen actually has value, albeit a little on the expensive side. A contending team would take him in for a pick. The guy is making slightly more than Soucy and would actually be in our top 4. Myers and Garland are negatives. Mantha is a negative but unlike Garland his contract expires after this season. Intriguing idea though. Adds size to our middle 6, although Mantha plays like he's 5'9. And we get a top 4 RHD to move Myers to the 3rd pair and Juulsen in the press box.

32 minutes ago, JeremyCuddles said:

Would have to throw in a pick. Jensen actually has value, albeit a little on the expensive side. A contending team would take him in for a pick. The guy is making slightly more than Soucy and would actually be in our top 4. Myers and Garland are negatives. Mantha is a negative but unlike Garland his contract expires after this season. Intriguing idea though. Adds size to our middle 6, although Mantha plays like he's 5'9. And we get a top 4 RHD to move Myers to the 3rd pair and Juulsen in the press box.

Jensen is also already 33 years old and is likely to drop off over the next three years unlike Garland. 

1 hour ago, Billabong said:

I wonder if a 2 for 2 swap has been discussed with Washington 

to wsh: garland, Myers 

to van: Mantha, Jensen 

Canucks shed 1.1m in cap space and wsh gets the best/youngest player in the deal 

Canucks would need to retain to match cap hits as Washington is tight to the cap I believe. 

53 minutes ago, JeremyCuddles said:

18 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

Jensen is also already 33 years old and is likely to drop off over the next three years unlike Garland. 

yeah I think Jensen at the advanced age may even out the scales cause who knows next year he might lose a step so that’s the risk for the Canucks 

3 hours ago, Bobby James said:

I think Garland could do quite well in another system. He just isn't fitting on this team with the current core/makeup. 

Hopefully a trade can be worked out that doesn't rip the Canucks off too badly. 

I thought he'slooked quite good, actually.  Other than game 1, he's been the best player on that line so far

9 minutes ago, Billabong said:

yeah I think Jensen at the advanced age may even out the scales cause who knows next year he might lose a step so that’s the risk for the Canucks 

Truuuuuue, he is a tad older with 2 more years after this one at 4mil. I am still pretty high on him, but yeah. Never really know how mid 30 year olds will decline.

Winnipeg Jets May Look at Big Trade to Fill Vilardi Hole (msn.com)

The Winnipeg Jets have faced a significant setback with the news that forward Gabriel Vilardi will be sidelined for four to six weeks due to a sprained MCL. Despite this challenge, the team finds itself with an opportunity, as Vilardi’s potential placement on LTIR grants the Jets an additional $3.4 million in cap space. This financial maneuverability has sparked speculation about potential moves, with attention turning to Vancouver Canucks forward Conor Garland.

• Thanks 1

Report: Capitals Among Teams Interested In Trading For Garland, Would It Be Right Move At This Time? (msn.com)

The Washington Capitals are struggling offensively to open the 2023-24 season, and now they're reportedly interested in bringing in another forward with top-6 potential in Conor Garland.

Per NHL insider Chris Johnston, the Capitals are among the teams interested in acquiring Conor Garland from the Vancouver Canucks, joining the Columbus Blue Jackets, Nashville Predators and other suitors.

• Thanks 3