[Report] Conor Garland given permission to seek trade

53 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I'd do Garland for Anthony Mantha.  At the end of the day, if we can clear the entire cap space of Garland's contract off the books for next season that would be better than getting a draft pick.  We can then go and get Nikita Zadorov in free agency with the extra $4.95 million in cap space next summer...

I like it EP.  Mantha would work well on the 3rd line, enabling a Beau trade in the upcoming month as well.

• Cheers 1

56 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I'd do Garland for Anthony Mantha.  At the end of the day, if we can clear the entire cap space of Garland's contract off the books for next season that would be better than getting a draft pick.  We can then go and get Nikita Zadorov in free agency with the extra $4.95 million in cap space next summer...

That trade would be great for us. Would the Caps do it? 

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, Alflives said:

That trade would be great for us. Would the Caps do it? 

Apparently they are in on Garland.  They have to fit in his cap somehow.  Mantha is the obvious guy they want to move.  Not sure they care too much about the term.  They basically want more guys to help out with Ovechkin to break the record.  Washington isn't going anywhere until Ovi is gone and they go full rebuild...

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

19 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Apparently they are in on Garland.  They have to fit in his cap somehow.  Mantha is the obvious guy they want to move.  Not sure they care too much about the term.  They basically want more guys to help out with Ovechkin to break the record.  Washington isn't going anywhere until Ovi is gone and they go full rebuild...

I still don't think they do it unless management causes further damage by retaining salary.

4 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

I still don't think they do it unless management causes further damage by retaining salary.

Mantha has a higher cap hit than Garland.  So don't think retention of salary would be on the table.  Washington needs bodies to help Ovi break the record.  That's all they care about for the next 2-3 years.  Their team is awful and they will need to go full rebuild once Ovi retires.  So the timeline of 3 years for Garland works for them...

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

Fan attendance at NHL games is declining. 

Caps had a decade plus sell out streak broken a couple of days ago. 

Many teams across the NHL are reporting lower attendance. Revenue will become an issue for many teams in the coming months. 

Teams will be more hesitant than usual in taking on a bad contract like Garland's.

For this reason trading Garland without retaining salary or taking back a similar contract becomes even more difficult. 

9 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Mantha has a higher cap hit than Garland.  So don't think retention of salary would be on the table.  Washington needs bodies to help Ovi break the record.  That's all they care about for the next 2-3 years.  Their team is awful and they will need to go full rebuild once Ovi retires.  So the timeline of 3 years for Garland works for them...

Mantha's cap hit is $700k more than Garland's but that problem disappears at the end of the season.

Garland's problem continues for another 2 years after this.

Unless Caps management has a collective brain aneurysm I find it hard to believe they would even consider straight up trading Mantha for Garland let alone following thru with an actual trade. 

Edited by WHL rocks

2 minutes ago, WSAcanuck said:

Too bad Jim Benning hasn’t got another gig as gm somewhere. He is the only gm who thinks trading expiring cap dumps for future cap dumps is a smart play.

Well I guess I just explained why he is unemployed still. 

Lol. When I wrote the post you just quoted I thought to my self too bad JB isn't the GM in the league right now. He would jump on this type of deal. 

Heck he might even send a 1st rounder as part of the package. 

2nd rounder for sure. 

• Haha 4

3 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

Lol. When I wrote the post you just quoted I thought to my self too bad JB isn't the GM in the league right now. He would jump on this type of deal. 

Heck he might even send a 1st rounder as part of the package. 

2nd rounder for sure. 

Don’t forget the token 7th as well.

• Haha 1
  • Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, WSAcanuck said:

Too bad Jim Benning hasn’t got another gig as gm somewhere. He is the only gm who thinks trading expiring cap dumps for future cap dumps is a smart play.

Well I guess I just explained why he is unemployed still. 

Dubas for some reason was gifted another job, and he's even more stupid than Benning.

• Upvote 1

Just now, King Heffy said:

Dubas for some reason was gifted another job, and he's even more stupid than Benning.

Let’s not go too crazy. Benning was pretty much allergic to things going anything but worst case. It was actually kind of otherworldly levels of ineptitude. 

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

I don't think Dubas got close to Benning's level of incompetence. 

Benning imo is in a league of his own. 

To top it off Benning had John Weisbrod as his sidekick advising him.

Perfect reimagination of dumb and dumber in professional sports. 

Edited by WHL rocks
  • Thanks 2

19 minutes ago, WSAcanuck said:

Let’s not go too crazy. Benning was pretty much allergic to things going anything but worst case. It was actually kind of otherworldly levels of ineptitude. 

Benning was at least qualified to work in hockey ops.  Dubas has proven that he has absolutely no understanding of the sport.

4 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

I don't think Dubas got close to Benning's level of incompetence. 

Closest pair to dumb and dumber in professional sports. 

I was more happy about Weisbrod getting fired than Benning. That guy is an absolute cancer anywhere he goes. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Carolina: Garland, Podkolzin, and 2024 1st

to

Vancouver: Brett Pesce, Brendan Lemieux

I still think Podkolzin will be a good middle 6 forward.

Garland for something around Peeke.

1st, Hoglander, Beauvillier, + for Pesce, Lemieux

No idea if that works for cap or if that's a fair offer, or what we do with Myers.

Right side would look good. Though we probably are not in a position to be moving 1sts and our bottom 6 would not be good. Sign Kessel (very unlikely), good veteran that knows Rutherford and Rick. Just to be a placeholder on that 3rd line. 

Mikheyev - Pettersson - Kuzmenko

Giuseppe - Miller - Boeser

Kessel - Blueger - Rafferty

Joshua - Suter - Lemieux

Hughes - Pesce

Cole - Hronek

Soucy - Peeke

Edited by J-23
  • Haha 1
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, WHL rocks said:

Mantha's cap hit is $700k more than Garland's but that problem disappears at the end of the season.

Unless Caps management has a collective brain aneurysm I find it hard to believe they would even consider straight up trading Mantha for Garland let alone following thru with an actual trade. 

Washington is basically all in on Ovi's record.  That's about it.  Once he breaks it, they are done and will be in full rebuild mode for a decade.  They need some bodies for next year too.  Garland could help them.

If you look at their roster, once Ovi is a UFA, they will have $75 million in cap space, so that is when the rebuild starts.  They may trade off players for picks and prospects before then depending on where Ovi is at with his record.  If he breaks it early, then they can start their rebuild earlier.  Garland's contract will be done at the same time as Ovi, so he can help for the next 3 years.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WHL rocks said:

The Caps are desperate for foot speed 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, WHL rocks said:

I don't , think Dubas got close to Benning's level of incompetence. 

Perfect reimagination of dumb and dumber in professional sports. 

Im not sure anybody is going to top Bennings level of incompetence

The only team I can think of that finishes near bottom of the standings repeatedly, throws away draft picks away like halloween candy, a piss poor prospect pool and yet for some reason, is right up against the cap.

• ThereItIs 1

2 hours ago, filthy animal said:

Im not sure anybody is going to top Bennings level of incompetence

The only team I can think of that finishes near bottom of the standings repeatedly, throws away draft picks away like halloween candy, a piss poor prospect pool and yet for some reason, is right up against the cap.

edmonton right up until mcdavid. only difference is they didn't throw away draft picks.. but their prospect pool is pretty bad considering how many draft picks and high picks they gotten.. they are close but not quite benning level.