[Report] Conor Garland given permission to seek trade

12 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Report: Capitals Among Teams Interested In Trading For Garland, Would It Be Right Move At This Time? (msn.com)

The Washington Capitals are struggling offensively to open the 2023-24 season, and now they're reportedly interested in bringing in another forward with top-6 potential in Conor Garland.

Per NHL insider Chris Johnston, the Capitals are among the teams interested in acquiring Conor Garland from the Vancouver Canucks, joining the Columbus Blue Jackets, Nashville Predators and other suitors.

Please make it happen.... 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 3

12 hours ago, J-23 said:

I still think Podkolzin will be a good middle 6 forward.

Garland for something around Peeke.

1st, Hoglander, Beauvillier, + for Pesce, Lemieux

No idea if that works for cap or if that's a fair offer, or what we do with Myers.

Right side would look good. Though we probably are not in a position to be moving 1sts and our bottom 6 would not be good. Sign Kessel (very unlikely), good veteran that knows Rutherford and Rick. Just to be a placeholder on that 3rd line. 

Mikheyev - Pettersson - Kuzmenko

Giuseppe - Miller - Boeser

Kessel - Blueger - Rafferty

Joshua - Suter - Lemieux

Hughes - Pesce

Cole - Hronek

Soucy - Peeke

I have made this mistake a few times myself “lafferty” lol 

• Huggy Bear 1
  • Upvote 1

There will be some teams who struggle early in season and Washington is a prime example of that now. They probably should rebuild but can't as long as ovechkin is still playing. 

I don't mind MGMT exercising patience.

Garland is drawing interests so we shouldn't need to bend over to move him. And he has been playing well with his limited ice time.

Who does Washington have on their roster that might be of interest for us though? 

On 10/21/2023 at 8:01 AM, spook007 said:

Please make it happen.... 

It would be awesome if we could turn Garland into a RD option that is an upgrade for us. We're just missing that one piece to make our D a strength as compared to a dicey mystery. Hronek has been solid and he's a good addition seeing how weak we are a RD. Cole has been a really strong add. Soucy is getting better as he goes and adds a missing element or two. Hughes is a stud and a rock out there. It would be very exciting. C'mon Allvin get it done! :towel:

• Cheers 1

On 10/20/2023 at 6:29 PM, Elias Pettersson said:

Report: Capitals Among Teams Interested In Trading For Garland, Would It Be Right Move At This Time? (msn.com)

The Washington Capitals are struggling offensively to open the 2023-24 season, and now they're reportedly interested in bringing in another forward with top-6 potential in Conor Garland.

Per NHL insider Chris Johnston, the Capitals are among the teams interested in acquiring Conor Garland from the Vancouver Canucks, joining the Columbus Blue Jackets, Nashville Predators and other suitors.

Canucks might get lucky and have a desperate GM give up the goods.

• Vintage 1

2 hours ago, Gawdzukes said:

It would be awesome if we could turn Garland into a RD option that is an upgrade for us. We're just missing that one piece to make our D a strength as compared to a dicey mystery. Hronek has been solid and he's a good addition seeing how weak we are a RD. Cole has been a really strong add. Soucy is getting better as he goes and adds a missing element or two. Hughes is a stud and a rock out there. It would be very exciting. C'mon Allvin get it done! :towel:

A RHD and a couple of rugged speedy wingers (not even that concerned about their ability to put the puck in the net... ) Just hard to play against wingers, that can make us play on the front foot instead of being on our heals, when the heat gets turned on...

Yes make it happen...

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, spook007 said:

A RHD and a couple of rugged speedy wingers (not even that concerned about their ability to put the puck in the net... ) Just hard to play against wingers, that can make us play on the front foot instead of being on our heals, when the heat gets turned on...

Yes make it happen...

Only problem is a few teams are now looking for the same. We lucked out getting Lafferty when we did - and ironically he’s exactly what the Laffs need now on their 3/4 lines.

Pittsburgh too. They’ve lost quality guys like Tanev, Rodrigues and haven’t yet found suitable replacements. Market might make it a bit costlier now than normally…?

• Cheers 2

12 minutes ago, RWJC said:

Only problem is a few teams are now looking for the same. We lucked out getting Lafferty when we did - and ironically he’s exactly what the Laffs need now on their 3/4 lines.

Pittsburgh too. They’ve lost quality guys like Tanev, Rodrigues and haven’t yet found suitable replacements. Market might make it a bit costlier now than normally…?

I still hope Podz can be one of the wingers, although I doubt it'll be this season. Bains maybe too... But even if the price goes up, getting g rid of Garland and Beau should free up a bit $ to at least get one winger and a rhd...

If we want to make a push, I think,  we really need this. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, spook007 said:

Yes make it happen...

Yeah Spook exactly what we need. A couple of more tough two way guys complementing Petey, Miller, Mik, Kuz, Boes, Hughes, and Hronek, along with Blueger, Lafferty, and Suter as depth intangible guys. Would make us a tough out. Getting there.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

Yeah Spook exactly what we need. A couple of more tough two way guys complementing Petey, Miller, Mik, Kuz, Boes, Hughes, and Hronek, along with Blueger, Lafferty, and Suter as depth intangible guys. Would make us a tough out. Getting there.

hey remember when the biggest thing people were excited about was getting Poolman? good times. 

Edited by Bob Long
  • Cheers 2

Would anyone be willing to do this deal?:

Arizona receives:

Canucks 2025 1st round pick

RW Connor Garland

Vancouver receives:

RW Lawson Crouse 

It’s an overpay in my mind but it replaces a failing project in Garland with a player who has size and speed and just entering his prime as a potential 50pt+ power Fwd

Garland, (27yo, 28 in March) is under contract until end of 25-26 @ 4.95m per

Crouse (26yo, 27 in June) is under contract until end of 26-27 @ 4.3m per, no N-MTC

Trading the 2024 1st wouldn’t leave us with a pick until the 3rd round

Trading a 2025 1st gives us time to potentially recoup another one but would currently leave us with only 2nd rounder, no 3rd, but still have 4th on onwards 

Thoughts?

I think what the reality of what we end up with though is Garland and a 3rd round pick out for a middling prospect from someone that doesn’t really move the needle in Abby either. I’d still consider that a win. 

Edited by RWJC
  • Cheers 4

58 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

hey remember when the biggest thing people were excited about was getting Poolman? good times. 

Poolman - Just like Tanev but bigger and cheaper 😄

Dermott  - Top 4 d coming up

Bailey- So fast Something or something or other

Dickinson - 3rd line Center of the future

Lammikko - 4th line center of the future

Highmore - better than Gaudette

Here are some more beauties. Haha we're definitely positioned better now and actually have a couple decent prospects. Nice to see Lekkerimaki and Brusty ripping it up.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 3

50 minutes ago, RWJC said:

Arizona receives:

RW Connor Garland

Vancouver receives:

RW Lawson Crouse 

It’s an overpay in my mind but it replaces a failing project in Garland with a player who has size and speed and just entering his prime as a potential 50pt+ power Fwd

Crouse (26yo, 27 in June) is under contract until end of 26-27 @ 4.3m per, no N-MTC

Trading a 2025 1st gives us time to potentially recoup another one but would currently leave us with only 2nd rounder, no 3rd, but still have 4th on onwards 

Thoughts?

I think what the reality of what we end up with though is Garland and a 3rd round pick out for a middling prospect from someone that doesn’t really move the needle in Abby either. I’d still consider that a win. 

I'd be open to it if lottery protected.

• Cheers 4

29 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

Poolman - Just like Tanev but bigger and cheaper 😄

Dermott  - Top 4 d coming up

Bailey- So fast Something or something or other

Dickinson - 3rd line Center of the future

Lammikko - 4th line center of the future

Highmore - better than Gaudette

Here are some more beauties. Haha we're definitely positioned better now and actually have a couple decent prospects. Nice to see Lekkerimaki and Brusty ripping it up.

Poolman - injuries

Dermott - injuries

Bailey - always AHL depth

Dickinson - playing well in Chi

Lammy - thought he was sold d for n Van

Highmore - meh

1 hour ago, RWJC said:

Arizona receives:

RW Connor Garland

Vancouver receives:

RW Lawson Crouse 

Thoughts?

With no salary retention and a lottery protection, yes, this is a good deal.  Poor Garland though haha

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, Grandmaster said:

Sorry but I’m not retaining more than 1M to get rid of this guy. We already have the OEL buyout to deal with. Let’s just use him as a serviceable 3rd liner who can bump into the top 6 on occasion. He is not a bad player. 

agree….it seems like resigning Bear us the reason they want to free up the $1-2M, and are willing to take a loss on the transaction.

I suppose they may be including him as part of the equation, which includes reducing Myers’ minutes.

4 hours ago, RWJC said:

Arizona receives:

RW Connor Garland

Vancouver receives:

RW Lawson Crouse 

Thoughts?

Yes, definitely.  

With our 3 year plan to become competitive, it makes sense to trade the 2025 first for a top 4 D or a power forward.

Why would Arizona do this, though?

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, RWJC said:

Arizona receives:

RW Connor Garland

Vancouver receives:

RW Lawson Crouse 

Thoughts?

It would be a no for me, if we are moving another 1st round pick it needs to be for another RHD. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

4 hours ago, RWJC said:

Arizona receives:

RW Connor Garland

Vancouver receives:

RW Lawson Crouse 

Thoughts?

I like the idea, but another left winger isn't what we need. Rhd or bust.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

21 minutes ago, Huggy Bear said:

agree….it seems like resigning Bear us the reason they want to free up the $1-2M, and are willing to take a loss on the transaction.

I suppose they may be including him as part of the equation, which includes reducing Myers’ minutes.

Yes, definitely.  

With our 3 year plan to become competitive, it makes sense to trade the 2025 first for a top 4 D or a power forward.

Why would Arizona do this, though?

Because Garland can still play up in their lineup. Potentially even in their top 6 far more regularly than with us. 
They also shed a year of contract at 4.3mill. And all in all, to do this of course the 1st rounder is great compensation for a downgrade on F to a team that isn’t yet going to be competitive in the window where they can maximize Crouse’s value to the club.

I don’t know, just trying to think of how we escape the Garland contract without dead cap and still strengthen our roster. I’d love for us to get an RHD but I don’t want us to settle for another 6/7 who could end up a scratch next year. Only works if the salary coming back in Garland trade is minimal but I highly doubt that is going to occur. At least in getting a guy like Crouse we add some edge, grit, size, someone who is likely hungry for post season, some 3rd line offense, and can play up in injuries occur. We need these types of players badly. 

Sure we also need a RHD, but we can afford that once we shed Myers and allocate those dollars towards one. I think for now, we try to sign Bear, and use what we have and what may come off waiver wire. I like the idea of a Peeke or someone, but I not sure that gives us any propulsion forward. A guy like Crouse does much more, imho. 

Like some have said though, would rather use the 1st round pick towards another bonafide top 4 D. I just don’t know who’s going to give that up and for what extra cost on top of the pick. 

Would be shitty to lose any more prospects as part of a package but it seems that it’s going to be expensive whichever way we try to acquire that coveted Dman.

• Cheers 2