[Report] Conor Garland given permission to seek trade

26 minutes ago, J-23 said:

Rather keep Garland than trade a 1st and Garland for a career 0.36 point per game player who has only hit the 40 point mark once. 

I hear ya, but Garland doesn’t want to be here and is now being played on 4th line for almost 5mill. 

Crouse is more than just a point per game statistic too. He offers exactly what this club is lacking.

Not saying it’s ideal, it’s just a deal. 

What’s a realistic proposition you have that helps the club?

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

5 hours ago, Grandmaster said:

Sorry but I’m not retaining more than 1M to get rid of this guy. We already have the OEL buyout to deal with. Let’s just use him as a serviceable 3rd liner who can bump into the top 6 on occasion. He is not a bad player. 

Don't like the idea of retaining, unless....

Its a deal is lined up for a big winger or rhd that will come in for the same length as Garlands contract and no more than Garlands contract minus the retention. 

If it wasn't for cap restraint I'd even do it with the retention on top, if we could fill a need. 

This has nothing to do with Garland, but more to do with filling in needs. Garland is redundant on the 3rd line. And especially him and Beau together on the 3rd line makes no sense. 
I'd o for Beau as well or instead, but then they have the problem again next summer. 

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, stawns said:

I don't see him going anywhere, personally.  

because of no takers, or ? 

I'd be happy with Garly+Joshua 1:1 for Mantha to balance this years cap for both teams.  I think RT can revive Mantha for one season. 

Edited by Bob Long

2 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

because of no takers, or ? 

I'd be happy with Garly+Joshua 1:1 for Mantha to balance this years cap for both teams.  I think RT can revive Mantha for one season. 

Because the price is too steep.  Who knows what PA thinks, but id rather sit and wait until there's no retention.  He's more valuable to the team than the price they'd have to pay to move him, imo.

• Thanks 1
  • Huggy Bear 1
  • Upvote 1
  • ThereItIs 1

3 minutes ago, stawns said:

Because the price is too steep.  Who knows what PA thinks, but id rather sit and wait until there's no retention.  He's more valuable to the team than the price they'd have to pay to move him, imo.

Makes sense, as long as he’s not a negative factor in the room.  You don’t hear him sounding off in the media about deployment, which is a good thing.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

The problem is that management has already proven to be stupid enough to  cripple the franchise with dead cap after the OEL buyout.  I'd agree with you if we had a competent GM running things, but who knows how much more damage these dirtbags will do?

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Meh said:

Should I be insulted or flattered?

Zucker out with short term injury in ARZ, and also expiring contract. This is the guy Garland could eventually replace cap/top 6 wise (not positionally though) in their lineup for the right price. Cmon Allvin, let’s make a deal!

Edited by RWJC

To me I think the best bet is CBJ as they have that extra RD we want.

Arizona is also a good choice but what do they have?

Garland is paid fair for what he brings so I would not want retention unless the contracts under what we pay and the contract if for as long for a RD we get back.Or a bigger multi player swap.

Latest On Conor Garland

October 23rd, 2023 at 6:41pm CST • By Brennan McClain

Just before the start of the season, Elliotte Friedman of Sportsnet reported that the Vancouver Canucks had given forward Conor Garland and his agency full freedom to find a suitable trade partner for the winger.

Unfortunately, for most teams at this time of year, especially teams that are destined for a postseason run at the conclusion of the season, cap space is hard to come by, especially to fit in Garland’s $4.95MM until 2025-26.

However, nearly a week ago, Kevin Weekes of ESPN reported that the Canucks would be willing to retain as high as 30% of Garland’s salary for the next three seasons, meaning any acquiring team would only owe him approximately $3.465MM in total salary. Realistically speaking, even with the hypothetical retention of Garland’s salary, there are only seven teams with enough cap space to take on a discounted Garland, without moving out a salary in the process.

On a positive note in regards to the potential trade of Garland, David Pagnotta of The Fourth Period wrote in an article last week that the Washington Capitals are interested in adding a top-six forward, as the offense has looked completely stagnant out of the gate. In the same article, Pagnotta notes that the Capitals could look to move out forward Anthony Mantha in any deal made to acquire Garland.

Unfortunately, with a roster surplus and salary cap problems of their own, the Canucks would be unable to take on the $5.7MM owed to Mantha for the rest of the season, even if no money was retained on Garland, complicating that hypothetical deal entirely. In the same vein, passing on a note from Friedman, Rick Dhaliwal of The Athletic confirms that the Capitals are indeed interested in acquiring Garland, but are trying to move Mantha in a separate trade.

For Garland, if Mantha becomes the domino that must fall before he is eventually moved out of Vancouver, the time frame on a potential trade has likely been extended to the trade deadline. Given the fact that Mantha has now been healthy scratched by the Capitals to start the year, Washington will likely have to move out significant assets in any trade involving Mantha, simply to entice the other party to absorb the rest of his contract.

https://www.prohockeyrumors.com/2023/10/latest-on-conor-garland.html#ref=home

18 hours ago, RWJC said:

I hear ya, but Garland doesn’t want to be here and is now being played on 4th line for almost 5mill. 

Crouse is more than just a point per game statistic too. He offers exactly what this club is lacking.

Not saying it’s ideal, it’s just a deal. 

What’s a realistic proposition you have that helps the club?

I want to see a trade here, and have predicted one to happen, but in my opinion nothing significant will change now until off-season. By then we will have Myers and Beauvillier cap hit gone, NHL cap goes up, etc.

At most, maybe a Beauvillier trade at trade deadline, but that’s about it. Once the cap increases, that’s when I expect a Garland trade to happen. No way Canucks should retain 30% of the cap right now. 

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, J-23 said:

I want to see a trade here, and have predicted one to happen, but in my opinion nothing significant will change now until off-season. By then we will have Myers and Beauvillier cap hit gone, NHL cap goes up, etc.

At most, maybe a Beauvillier trade at trade deadline, but that’s about it. Once the cap increases, that’s when I expect a Garland trade to happen. No way Canucks should retain 30% of the cap right now. 

I agree. Sit back, let other teams know we are open for business though. But no retention on Garland. If nothing happens so be it. Enough of the retention already.

• Huggy Bear 1
  • Upvote 2

8 hours ago, King Heffy said:

The problem is that management has already proven to be stupid enough to  cripple the franchise with dead cap after the OEL buyout.  I'd agree with you if we had a competent GM running things, but who knows how much more damage these dirtbags will do?

Patrick Allvin has literally drafted 4 stud players in only 2 drafts. Tom Willander, Jonathan Lekkerimaki, Elias Pettersson, Hunter Brzustewicz. He did this without a top 10 pick and even without any 2nd round picks. All 4 players will be in the NHL within the next 2-3 years.  

He also traded a 55 point career centre for a top 4 Dman who’s partnering Hughes, plus a top prospect in Aatu Raty.  He also got a 40 goal scorer for free in Andrei Kuzmenko. Also picked up Petey’s other right hand man, Ilya Mikheyev, also for free. Got Ian Cole for free. Stole Sam Lafferty from Toronto for only a 5th round pick. Signed Miller to a below market contract. Finally got a legit backup for Demko in Casey DeSmith who has already stole us a game this year. 

Jim Benning couldn’t hold Patrik Alvin’s jockstrap when it comes to running an organization. Benning was a good amateur scout and because we sucked so bad under him he was able to obtain 5 top 10 draft picks. And got lucky enough to get two star players from those high picks. 2 others from those picks aren’t even in the NHL anymore and the other one is still in the AHL. 

I’ve been following this team since the 1980’s. Patrick Allvin is one of the best GM’s we’ve ever had.  And he’s just getting started. 

Edited by Elias Pettersson
  • Huggy Bear 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

8 hours ago, stawns said:

That’s actually a good point. I was at first all for retaining some cap to move him. But seeing how he’s handled things, it doesn’t seem to be much of a distraction to the team. I only wanted him gone to avoid any over blown bs. 

I also liked him on the 3rd line with Suter and Joshua. I thought they played an effective game. 

I’ve been far less impressed with Beauvillier this year. He’s only got 1 year left. May be an easier contract to move.

2 minutes ago, Attila Umbrus said:

That’s actually a good point. I was at first all for retaining some cap to move him. But seeing how he’s handled things, it doesn’t seem to be much of a distraction to the team. I only wanted him gone to avoid any over blown bs. 

I also liked him on the 3rd line with Suter and Joshua. I thought they played an effective game. 

I’ve been far less impressed with Beauvillier this year. He’s only got 1 year left. May be an easier contract to move.

AB is as good as gone, imo.  I think they could build a nice line with Garland and Suter.......maybe Hogz?

• Like 1
  • ThereItIs 1

13 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Patrick Allvin has literally drafted 4 stud players in only 2 drafts. Tom Willander, Jonathan Lekkerimaki, Elias Pettersson, Hunter Brzustewicz. He did this without a top 10 pick and even without any 2nd round picks. All 4 players will be in the NHL within the next 2-3 years.  

He also traded a 55 point career centre for a top 4 Dman who’s partnering Hughes, plus a top prospect in Aatu Raty.  He also got a 40 goal scorer for free in Andrei Kuzmenko. Also picked up Petey’s other right hand man, Ilya Mikheyev, also for free. Got Ian Cole for free. Stole Sam Lafferty from Toronto for only a 5th round pick. Signed Miller to a below market contract. Finally got a legit backup for Demko in Casey DeSmith who has already stole us a game this year. 

Jim Benning couldn’t hold Patrik Alvin’s jockstrap when it comes to running an organization. Benning was a good amateur scout and because we sucked so bad under him he was able to obtain 5 top 10 draft picks. And got lucky enough to get two star players from those high picks. 2 others from those picks aren’t even in the NHL anymore and the other one is still in the AHL. 

I’ve been following this team since the 1980’s. Patrick Allvin is one of the best GM’s we’ve ever had.  And he’s just getting started. 

Brustewicz leading the OHL in scoring is pretty unreal. Especially given his whole game has been recognized, not just scoring.

Watched some D-Petey highlights as well, and he looks good in transition. Faber had a compilation of his controlled exits, which was really cool to see for a modern shutdown-style dman with size.

The future is looking brighter!

• Cheers 2

AB is as good as gone, imo.  I think they could build a nice line with Garland and Suter.......maybe Hogz?

They played as a line in pre season and they were an absolute handful. I think Toc is averse to that line because they are all small…but who cares if they are buzzing about keeping the puck out of their dzone. 

I have liked Joshua lately too. So he does bring some size there. But I don’t think they need it.

Drop Joshua down with Lafferty and Blueger when he’s back. Thats a heck if 4th line.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

6 minutes ago, Attila Umbrus said:

They played as a line in pre season and they were an absolute handful. I think Toc is averse to that line because they are all small…but who cares if they are buzzing about keeping the puck out of their dzone. 

I have liked Joshua lately too. So he does bring some size there. But I don’t think they need it.

Drop Joshua down with Lafferty and Blueger when he’s back. Thats a heck if 4th line.

I hope tocchet isn't a dinosaur about that kind of thing.  Size isn't much of a factor anymore, despite the hand wringing over it on here.  Garland is one of the grittier players on the team and hogz plays a very similar style.  That gives them three offensive lines and a big, pretty fast 4th line

Edited by stawns
  • Cheers 1