[Report] Conor Garland given permission to seek trade

Just now, John.Tallhouse said:

Totally, both of them underperform but on good nights Garland is annoying to play against. We’ve seen him hounding guys in the corner and creating goals on a number of occasions. Boeser out here cosplaying as a 2nd liner. 

And with a string of nights, Boeser was our best forward in 2019. But it's clear to see he's fallen since then. But that's why I find the dog rating interesting. I feel like people think Garland does those things. But when the data was actually tracked it shows he's generally as passive as Boeser in actual play on most nights. 

Garland only had 47 hits last season, actually fewer then Boeser. He had 20 blocks to Boesers 32. Not sure about take aways or for checking like you mention, but I'm just going with the stats readily available. I'm by no means saying Boeser is a dog and plays that type of game, but I do find it interesting that many consider him passive and Garland a dog, but some of the stats actually say they are quite similar.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, MeanSeanBean said:

Time to move on from the OEL trade and everything to do with it.

When the 2028 off season begins then the dead cap is complete. Then and only then we can rid ourselves of the corrosion/residue of this shameful transaction from our former idiot I mean GM.

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 2

17 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Ugh is it too much to ask to not have distractions like this right before the season?

Funny they bring Tocchet in and within a few months they’re buying out OEL and trying to dump Garland. I guess he wasn’t a fan of theirs in Arizona…

Can’t believe in 8 Benning drafts we could possibly have nothing to show for 4 top 10 picks…🥴

New trending GIF on Giphy | Jack nicholson gif, Jack nicholson, Nod gif

5 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Is this satire?  OEL at $7.2 million for 4 more years is a way to refresh the team?  Garland, Pearson, Poolman, Myers.  Give me a break.  None of those contracts are even moveable, how was it exactly that Allvin could have simply done a refresh?

Not re-signing Miller would have been a dumb move.  He is the heart and soul of the team.  Trading Horvat was a great move and we got a top 4 RHD out of the deal.  Allvin got a 40 goal scorer for free.  Also picked up several depth players for free.

The Benning stain is still on this team.  Forced to do a buyout on OEL, Myers at $6 million for one more year, Garland virtually untradeable at $4.95 million for 3 more years.

It's gonna take another year at least to get rid of the Benning stain and to bring this team to where it's supposed to me.  Benning brought us Petey, Hughes and Demko and we thank him for at least doing that.  But most of his other moves were horrible...

While I don't disagree with you on Pearson, Poolman, and Myers... Garland is a different story.  He was nearly a PPG player in Arizona.  If he was given top 6 minutes and put up 65-70 points his contract would be more than movable... some may even think its good value next year when the cap rises $10M and in world where players are commanding $10+M per season.  There was chatter about trading him for a 1st at the deadline after his first season here.  Its not his fault hes underused by the new regime.

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

I'm confused. Garland gets a chance to play with Petey and now wants out?

Hard to say, maybe he wants a full-time top six role. Maybe he wants powerplay time. Maybe it's the Canucks being all "we don't want you but haven't been able to find a taker, you find us one.". 

Could be the Soucy injury is worse than we know and there's suddenly pressure to fit another D in somewhere. 

Edited by Coconuts
  • Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Ugh is it too much to ask to not have distractions like this right before the season?

Funny they bring Tocchet in and within a few months they’re buying out OEL and trying to dump Garland. I guess he wasn’t a fan of theirs in Arizona…

Can’t believe in 8 Benning drafts we could possibly have nothing to show for 4 top 10 picks…🥴

Oh, you thought this was gonna go smooth ? 

IMG_4693.jpeg

• Haha 4

If I had to guess it's the Soucy bit and not Garland asking to be moved, if the Canucks are going to make a trade to clear space it'll be them trying to move a forward. Maybe they don't want to move the guy who'd be easier to move in Beauvillier, who is the guy I'd have tried to move out months ago. 

Edited by Coconuts

Just now, Coconuts said:

If I had to guess it's the Soucy bit and not Garland asking to be moved, if the Canucks are going to make a trade to clear space it'll be them trying to move a forward. Maybe they don't want to move the guy who'd be easier to move in Beauvillier, who is who I'd have tried to move out months ago. 

This feels like the Poolman situation.

5 minutes ago, Sell.the.team said:

While I don't disagree with you on Pearson, Poolman, and Myers... Garland is a different story.  He was nearly a PPG player in Arizona.  If he was given top 6 minutes and put up 65-70 points his contract would be more than movable... some may even think its good value next year when the cap rises $10M and in world where players are commanding $10+M per season.  There was chatter about trading him for a 1st at the deadline after his first season here.  Its not his fault hes underused by the new regime.

Garland does well when he is the only offensive driver on the line. 
He can’t do that when he is playing with petey and kuz

hogging the puck when he needs to go north south and learn how to pass the puck to better skilled players

26 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Not exactly fair because Benning did get Demko (our starting goaltender) and Hoglander (2nd round pick who might make an impact). Jurmo and Woo are long shots, but they could pan out too.

Could Benning have done better? Yes.

6 minutes ago, MeanSeanBean said:

And with a string of nights, Boeser was our best forward in 2019. But it's clear to see he's fallen since then. But that's why I find the dog rating interesting. I feel like people think Garland does those things. But when the data was actually tracked it shows he's generally as passive as Boeser in actual play on most nights. 

Garland only had 47 hits last season, actually fewer then Boeser. He had 20 blocks to Boesers 32. Not sure about take aways or for checking like you mention, but I'm just going with the stats readily available. I'm by no means saying Boeser is a dog and plays that type of game, but I do find it interesting that many consider him passive and Garland a dog, but some of the stats actually say they are quite similar.

They’re very similar the difference is Garland is a bottom 6 guy, Boeser is an alleged top 6 player so surely the standard for each must be different. Garland is closer to the standard expected of a player of his calibre. Brock isn’t, the fact he’s even being compared to a Garland type is a massive L for him. 

Garlands play has been more noticeable

and explosive than Boesers , these moments are few and far between but a Boeser play hasn’t brought me out of my seat in a few seasons. 

• Cheers 1

57 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

I'd be happy for future considerations back. 

No one is offering that… if that weee the case he would have been gone a long time ago.

Other teams presumably want a bunch of cap retention or offloading an equally bad or worse contract on us…. Or they want a big sweetener to take on that cap hit.  We aren’t talking a 5th round pick or middling prospect.  Sweeteners for that kind of money are high picks.  It took a 2nd rounder and taking on Stillman’s contract to offload $2.6 million in total cap liability.

We are talking $17 million in cap liability here.

9 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

Maybe Arizona will take him for a 1st? 🙄

I'm assuming you meant the 1st pick in the 5th round right? Garland has negative value. We could put him on waivers and no one will take him for free. Not to say he's a bad player, but there are way too many factors keeping him here.

50 minutes ago, PureQuickness said:

Honestly, he shouldn't have re-signed Miller

Love Miller. We are competing now with EP, Hughes and Demko. We need a player exactly like JT. So happy to have him and keeping him over Bo was the right choice. I wasn't even for it, but hindsight, it was the right choice.