[Report] Conor Garland given permission to seek trade

1 hour ago, Gawdzukes said:

Obviously we're desperate. Myers is our second best RD. Same reason everyone is so gaga over an incredibly mediocre Bear.

Just like Flick there, don't confuse "happy to add a legit top 6 D, for likely near league min, to a D core DESPERATELY in need of legit NHL RD" as "gaga".

quote.jpg

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Just like Flick there, don't confuse "happy to add a legit top 6 D, for likely near league min, to a D core DESPERATELY in need of legit NHL RD" as "gaga".

quote.jpg

Sure, if that makes you happier I'll oblige. Gaga compared to myself then.

I head from Dhaliwal that he's looking for $2 mil though. Not sure if there is any truth in that but I could see it. Might be a bit tricky if so.

8 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

Sure, if that makes you happier I'll oblige. Gaga compared to myself then.

I head from Dhaliwal that he's looking for $2 mil though. Not sure if there is any truth in that but I could see it. Might be a bit tricky if so.

controlling-laugh-laughing.gif

He may be asking for it, but he's not going to get $2m

4 hours ago, Huggy Bear said:

Agreed, I’m a fan of his, but recognize it’s he doesn’t fit with our core. Especially with how well bigger/faster forechecking wingers are complimenting our top 6, we just don’t have a spot for a smaller skilled winger.

We do, it’s just Hoglander fills that spot for far cheaper. Both of them and it’s too much (or should I say…too little?).

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

48 minutes ago, aGENT said:

controlling-laugh-laughing.gif

He may be asking for it, but he's not going to get $2m

Yeah I hope not but he seems to think he's pretty good. Is it really that crazy to think he might actually get that? Wasn't his ask something like $2.5-3 over 3 years before the injury? He was making $2 mil the last two years.

-I think this is where he mentioned it.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/650/halford-brough-morning/rick-dhaliwal-with-a-canucks-update-what-we-learned/

Also, how much interest do you think there is from other teams? I heard several teams were also interested but I haven't been following too closely. 

Edited by Gawdzukes

11 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

Yeah I hope not but he seems to think he's pretty good. Is it really that crazy to think he might actually get that? Wasn't his ask something like $2.5-3 over 3 years before the injury? He was making $2 mil the last two years.

-I think this is where he mentioned it.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/650/halford-brough-morning/rick-dhaliwal-with-a-canucks-update-what-we-learned/

Also, how much interest do you think there is from other teams? I heard several teams were also interested but I haven't been following too closely. 

I think that if he was healthy, and we didn't have a flat cap, he could probably get between $2.5-$2.8 X3 "somewhere". With the flat cap...probably $2.0-$2.5 X2-3. Not healthy, coming off major surgery, and months behind the rest of the league, with a flat cap...I think he'll be lucky to get $1.5m X1.

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

To Philadelphia

Garland... I rather not retain and just retain on Beau/Myers to clear some cap

Plus a pick/prospect

For

Sean Walker- pending ufa(possibly flip at TDL for draft pick? Or allowed us to move Myers retained for anything)

Morgan Frost- been scratched, had a good end to last year did he come to camp out of shape or sleep with Torts daughter/wife?!?

1 hour ago, D-Money said:

We do, it’s just Hoglander fills that spot for far cheaper. Both of them and it’s too much (or should I say…too little?).

What spot is that in the lineup, though?

Högs isnt being deployed in a skill role. He’s auditioning for a checking role on the 4th line, and alternating as our healthy scratch. 

The top 6 looks set for this year and next. Do you see a small skilled forward in the bottom 6?

Edited by Huggy Bear

12 minutes ago, Huggy Bear said:

Högs isnt being deployed in a skill role. He’s auditioning for a checking role on the 4th line, and alternating as our healthy scratch. 

The top 6 looks set for this year and next. Do you see a small skilled forward in the bottom 6?

Assuming Podz becomes the player we want him to... Podz (or similar), Suter, Hoglander would be a pretty sweet 3rd line next year.

That line needs some meat and potatoes in it though... Hence why they keep trying to through Joshua up there.

Edited by aGENT
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, aGENT said:

quote.jpg

Voltaire has one of my favourite lines of all time. After all the bs in life (from Candide) he says, "I think I'll go tend to my garden."

• Cheers 1

59 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Assuming Podz becomes the player we want him to... Podz (or similar), Suter, Hoglander would be a pretty sweet 3rd line next year.

That line needs some meat and potatoes in it though... Hence why they keep trying to through Joshua up there.

Yeah Tocchet said today he wants the bottom 6 to be forechecking, keeping the opponents best players playing D, hanging onto pucks longer, etc.

Högs can contribute to that no doubt. But with two smallish (yet solid) bottom 6 centers, one small winger shifts the identity of their line to mostly small, and makes them a lot easier to play against as a line.

Maybe when we get a bigger bottom six C (Räty?), Höglander can better compliment, with another, heavier forechecking  winger (Podz) on the other side.

maybe next season we could have a bottom 6 of. 

Podz - Räty - Höglander

Joshua - Blueger - Lafferty

Each line has two bigger bodies, and the third line can provide some offence

Edited by Huggy Bear
*bottom 6
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 3

6 hours ago, Huggy Bear said:

Yeah Tocchet said today he wants the bottom 6 to be forechecking, keeping the opponents best players playing D, hanging onto pucks longer, etc.

Högs can contribute to that no doubt. But with two smallish (yet solid) bottom 6 centers, one small winger shifts the identity of their line to mostly small, and makes them a lot easier to play against as a line.

Maybe when we get a bigger bottom six C (Räty?), Höglander can better compliment, with another, heavier forechecking  winger (Podz) on the other side.

maybe next season we could have a bottom 6 of. 

Podz - Räty - Höglander

Each line has two bigger bodies, and the third line can provide some offence

hogs is showing he can play a scrappy bottom 6 role. maybe someday his hands and smarts grow to a top or mid 6 level, but he’s not there yet if we want to compete this year. think we I still like his upside and am not yet ready to think i know where his ceiling is.  I’m all for giving him a year or two of regular minutes to see what he can become even if he isn’t the best fit for us right now.

you’re right that having two smaller bodies on either bottom 6 line isn’t ideal.  It’s clearly not how Toc wants to play or really what us fans want to watch, but winning trumps ideal. While I like Suter and Blueger, bigger centers make sense.    There is a reason they were available this offseason, and i think it is size.

I think someday Raty becomes an Nhl player.  If development goes well this year for podz and raty that looks like a nice future third line. 

The bottom 6 looks to be far from contender status, but maybe not too far.  Replace Beau with a bigger body and there could be enough feistiness and skill to overcome the lack of size.

I think Garland is gone after this season, but he could be good driver of a somewhat chaotic third line that has positive possession and xgf metrics. I’d like to see him with a couple bigger bodies that can can go to the net and bang in some dirty goals. Not sold on Joshua or Suter being those pieces.  think 

Getting rid of Garland now, while his value is floating around zero to negative because of cap reasons doesn’t make sense without it being a clear upgrade. Hogz and Beau aren’t at his level. If we need cap for an addition, then Beau is the obvious move. If we need more cap then it’s time to move Garland. 

The only glaring holes I see are a true 2nd pair rd, and to lesser extent a top end 3c with size.  I don’t see either of those acquisitions being affordable during the season other than maybe as rentals at the tdl. 

Garland doesn’t look like good value for his contract given his role on this team, but until there is someone better available to us to spend his money on it would be a backwards move to trade him.  He’s our best player in our bottom 6 . We should be trying to build a line around him rather than swapping him for some overpaid, underperforming, big bodied softy who was maybe once considered good in ea nhl 20.

• Upvote 1

Hate to say it, but if Garland doesn't fetch any return or costs us with retention or assets, I'm thinking we're best to stay as is and ride out this year with Myer's contract.  I actually saw Myers hustle more tonight.  In a perfect world, he picks up his game and there's no urgency to make changes.

Garland isn't scoring and isn't worth his pay but he could be an excellent Jannick Hansen type player.  If there's a great trade out there, perfect.....otherwise hold the hand we've been dealt I say.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 3

2 hours ago, NHL97OneTimer said:

Hate to say it, but if Garland doesn't fetch any return or costs us with retention or assets, I'm thinking we're best to stay as is and ride out this year with Myer's contract.  I actually saw Myers hustle more tonight.  In a perfect world, he picks up his game and there's no urgency to make changes.

Garland isn't scoring and isn't worth his pay but he could be an excellent Jannick Hansen type player.  If there's a great trade out there, perfect.....otherwise hold the hand we've been dealt I say.

If Garland gets 40 pts on the third line that’s pretty great. His goal scoring rate per 60 minutes 5v5 with the Canucks is better than Boeser and comparable to Miller is over the last few years. 

He doesn’t pk and isn’t a big physical guy, but is pretty good at drawing penalties. I agree he’s a little overpaid in this market. At 3m he would be a steal. 

Until the cap rises or he’s a pending ufa at the tdl, he’s a zero value asset at best. We’re better with him unless we’re adding a first and making a big upgrade.  The only trade available that doesn’t cost us picks at this point will bring back a team’s unwanted overpaid vet for the bottom 6 or third pair D.

Agree 100% there is no reason to move on from him during this season unless it is part of a bigger move. The chemistry on the team is looking good atm. No need to chase him out of town because he’s too small (or Myers because he’s too big - but that’s another thread). 

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, RinkonRenfrew said:

Garland doesn’t look like good value for his contract given his role on this team, but until there is someone better available to us to spend his money on it would be a backwards move to trade him.  He’s our best player in our bottom 6 . We should be trying to build a line around him rather than swapping him for some overpaid, underperforming, big bodied softy who was maybe once considered good in ea nhl 20.

This is just it, I keep seeing the sentiment of "if we could move Garland, it would be done by now". No, no it wouldn't. Not if you're trying to maximize the return/minimize the costs.

Allvin can afford to be patient as we have no pressing need to clear cap RIGHT now (and it doesn't hurt that we're winning games either). The earliest we might need some is December, to sign Bear (or barring a bigger trade becoming available). Until those things happen, he can afford to be patient, wait for teams to have injuries, trade return prices to come down etc.

There's no rush to be "forced" to move him for a less ideal return/cost.... Wait for opportunity!

• Vintage 1

9 hours ago, RinkonRenfrew said:

hogs is showing he can play a scrappy bottom 6 role. maybe someday his hands and smarts grow to a top or mid 6 level, but he’s not there yet if we want to compete this year. think we I still like his upside and am not yet ready to think i know where his ceiling is.  I’m all for giving him a year or two of regular minutes to see what he can become even if he isn’t the best fit for us right now.

you’re right that having two smaller bodies on either bottom 6 line isn’t ideal.  It’s clearly not how Toc wants to play or really what us fans want to watch, but winning trumps ideal. While I like Suter and Blueger, bigger centers make sense.    There is a reason they were available this offseason, and i think it is size.

I think someday Raty becomes an Nhl player.  If development goes well this year for podz and raty that looks like a nice future third line. 

The bottom 6 looks to be far from contender status, but maybe not too far.  Replace Beau with a bigger body and there could be enough feistiness and skill to overcome the lack of size.

I think Garland is gone after this season, but he could be good driver of a somewhat chaotic third line that has positive possession and xgf metrics. I’d like to see him with a couple bigger bodies that can can go to the net and bang in some dirty goals. Not sold on Joshua or Suter being those pieces.  think 

Getting rid of Garland now, while his value is floating around zero to negative because of cap reasons doesn’t make sense without it being a clear upgrade. Hogz and Beau aren’t at his level. If we need cap for an addition, then Beau is the obvious move. If we need more cap then it’s time to move Garland. 

The only glaring holes I see are a true 2nd pair rd, and to lesser extent a top end 3c with size.  I don’t see either of those acquisitions being affordable during the season other than maybe as rentals at the tdl. 

excellent post and points.

agreed all around!

21 minutes ago, aGENT said:

This is just it, I keep seeing the sentiment of "if we could move Garland, it would be done by now". No, no it wouldn't. Not if you're trying to maximize the return/minimize the costs.

Allvin can afford to be patient as we have no pressing need to clear cap RIGHT now (and it doesn't hurt that we're winning games either). The earliest we might need some is December, to sign Bear (or barring a bigger trade becoming available). Until those things happen, he can afford to be patient, wait for teams to have injuries, trade return prices to come down etc.

There's no rush to be "forced" to move him for a less ideal return/cost.... Wait for opportunity!

Totally agree. Let the trade come to us. Chicago and Nashville have bigger needs with Rachel and Tomasino having slow starts (for example). Injuries will also open up cap space.

Some GM’s will get panicky and make a better offer.

• Cheers 1

18 hours ago, Huggy Bear said:

I disagree with this, the fact the other team all want hogs head each and every shift proves to me he’s very capable of multiple roles one being a pest in the bottom 6, call him small but hogs has always played bigger than he is anyone that’s followed him since being drafted knows about his physical gritty side and reverse hits and flying elbows 

• Cheers 1

36 minutes ago, Captain insano said:

I disagree with this, the fact the other team all want hogs head each and every shift proves to me he’s very capable of multiple roles one being a pest in the bottom 6, call him small but hogs has always played bigger than he is anyone that’s followed him since being drafted knows about his physical gritty side and reverse hits and flying elbows 

I agree with your assessment of Höglander.

Just questioning his fit on a team with two small bottom 6 centers.

He looked great last night, and would like to see him called up to cover top 6 injuries.

Edited by Huggy Bear
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Huggy Bear said:

I agree with your assessment of Höglander.

Just questioning his fit on a team with two small bottom 6 centers.

He looked great last night, and would like to see him called up to cover top 6 injuries.

While I'd love a 3C with more size, Suter is still pretty solid there for now. If we can replace Garland with a bigger, grittier winger, that line (Hoglander, Suter, big gritty winger) could be very good IMO.

Or even better, get an upgrade on PDG, and slide him down to a more appropriate 3rd line. If we could land a Crouse or similar... Yee haw!

I’m on the camp we need to rid garland the sooner the better. The longer we wait the more it’ll cost to rid garland or we might be stuck with him till last year of his contract at tdl. I always thought garland production sucks.. if you look at his first 2 years as a Canuck.. his season overall production was pretty bad except for a hot streak for couple weeks.. if he never had that 2 week outburst. His season stats overall would had been terrible for how much he’s paid. He’s on pace for 23 point this season. He’s not going to be in the top 6 likely he doesn’t have a Horvat or miller as his 3c.. I say he finish in the 30 point range. We need to rid him before a bad season inflate the cause to rid him. Right now it might cost 1mil retention to rid him.. but if he have a bad season.. it might cost 50% retention or a really high pick.. either option is not really an option.

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

While I'd love a 3C with more size, Suter is still pretty solid there for now. If we can replace Garland with a bigger, grittier winger, that line (Hoglander, Suter, big gritty winger) could be very good IMO.

Or even better, get an upgrade on PDG, and slide him down to a more appropriate 3rd line. If we could land a Crouse or similar... Yee haw!

Why would you consider any change to JTM’s line? It’s got to be one of the best two-way lines in the league. 

Let’s take replace the most affordable piece of our best performing line, with a more expensive player, and hope he does the same or better? That’s madness, I tell you.

Go Crazy Wtf GIF

IMO, if we somehow trade Garland and add Crouse, he goes on the third line (as the big grittier winger, you mentioned), until one of the top lines needs a shakeup.

MIK - Petey - Kuz

PDG - JT - Boeser

Crouse - Suter - Högs

That’s a good looking forward group.

8 minutes ago, Huggy Bear said:

Why would you consider any change to JTM’s line? It’s got to be one of the best two-way lines in the league. 

Let’s take replace the most affordable piece of our best performing line, with a more expensive player, and hope he does the same or better? That’s madness, I tell you.

Go Crazy Wtf GIF

IMO, if we somehow trade Garland and add Crouse, he goes on the third line (as the big grittier winger, you mentioned), until one of the top lines needs a shakeup.

MIK - Petey - Kuz

PDG - JT - Boeser

Crouse - Suter - Högs

100% 

Don't touch that flipping line! 

• Haha 1
  • Vintage 1

2 hours ago, Huggy Bear said:

It is the best two way line in the league right now.

2 hours ago, Huggy Bear said:

MIK - Petey - Kuz

PDG - JT - Boeser

Crouse - Suter - Högs

I would rather have cap space than a 4.3 million cap hit until 2027-2028 with a player who is having a hard time putting up points.

I’m sure there will be some players in the off-season that are better options once we move Garland, Beauvillier and Myers cap.

• Cheers 2