[Report] Conor Garland given permission to seek trade

3 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

I’m on the camp we need to rid garland the sooner the better. The longer we wait the more it’ll cost to rid garland or we might be stuck with him till last year of his contract at tdl. I always thought garland production sucks.. if you look at his first 2 years as a Canuck.. his season overall production was pretty bad except for a hot streak for couple weeks.. if he never had that 2 week outburst. His season stats overall would had been terrible for how much he’s paid. He’s on pace for 23 point this season. He’s not going to be in the top 6 likely he doesn’t have a Horvat or miller as his 3c.. I say he finish in the 30 point range. We need to rid him before a bad season inflate the cause to rid him. Right now it might cost 1mil retention to rid him.. but if he have a bad season.. it might cost 50% retention or a really high pick.. either option is not really an option.

Why do you think his value would drop, the longer they keep him?

37 minutes ago, stawns said:

Why do you think his value would drop, the longer they keep him?

because if he doesn't hit the 40-50 point mark who would want a 5mil 3rd liner producing 30 points?? really 30ish point is very realistic what he'll produce on a bottom 6 role when we no longer have a miller or horvat playing the 3c.. he was trending 35 points in his first season until he had that outburst in the final 2 weeks in april with like 16 points or something.. if he drops to 30 points.. which he's trending 23 right now.. you don't think his value drop? you pay for a tiny bottom 6 producing at a 20-30 point range at 5mil?

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, Lemon Face said:

Everything has expire date

I don't follow your line of thinking.

3 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

because if he doesn't hit the 40-50 point mark who would want a 5mil 3rd liner producing 30 points?? really 30ish point is very realistic what he'll produce on a bottom 6 role when we no longer have a miller or horvat playing the 3c.. he was trending 35 points in his first season until he had that outburst in the final 2 weeks in april with like 16 points or something.. if he drops to 30 points.. which he's trending 23 right now.. you don't think his value drop? you pay for a tiny bottom 6 producing at a 20-30 point range at 5mil?

Depends on the other parts of his game and the quality of his underlying numbers.  

1 hour ago, stawns said:

I don't follow your line of thinking.

Depends on the other parts of his game and the quality of his underlying numbers.  

So you would take a 5mil player that produce 30-35 points doesn’t kill pk.. get most of his points against bad teams.. is a minus 15 last season 5v5 against playoff caliber teams? If garland doesn’t produce 50 points doesn’t matter what underlying number he brings hes worthless. If he has a bad season you think his value will remain the same or go up? His value will go down the less productive he is and he will only get harder and harder to move. If he has 5 points at the 20 game mark which is what he’s trending right now. You really think he won’t get harder and harder to move? He’s already overpaid right now and hard to move the less he produce he’d be even more overpaid harder to move. 

• Like 2
  • Huggy Bear 1

2 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

So you would take a 5mil player that produce 30-35 points doesn’t kill pk.. get most of his points against bad teams.. is a minus 15 last season 5v5 against playoff caliber teams? If garland doesn’t produce 50 points doesn’t matter what underlying number he brings hes worthless. If he has a bad season you think his value will remain the same or go up? His value will go down the less productive he is and he will only get harder and harder to move. If he has 5 points at the 20 game mark which is what he’s trending right now. You really think he won’t get harder and harder to move? He’s already overpaid right now and hard to move the less he produce he’d be even more overpaid harder to move. 

Depends if I plan on playing him in the bottom 6.  If I think his numbers show me that he scores at a top 6 rate, then yes.

Edited by stawns

16 minutes ago, stawns said:

Depends if I plan on playing him in the bottom 6.  If I think his numbers show me that he scores at a top 6 rate, then yes.

Well I hope other gm thinks like you and take him off our hand. Cause my opinion is he can’t be moved without retention on our end and if he struggles to produce the retention gets bigger 

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

Well I hope other gm thinks like you and take him off our hand. Cause my opinion is he can’t be moved without retention on our end and if he struggles to produce the retention gets bigger 

Then they'll keep him.  He's an important part of the team

• Vintage 1

5 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

I mean, it's also how he's deployed too right? If he's not deployed in an offensive role, then how is it fair to expect him to produce 50 points? Depends on a lot of factors as well, which could cause his value and worth as a player to decline. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

7 hours ago, cripplereh said:

Garland's play right now looks like a 4 to 5 mill player.

I thought he had a solid game against the NYR. He is really buying into the RT style. Making safer plays more than he did. He is a team player. IMHO both Beau and Garland will be gone at some point. Canucks can be patient. As the RT style develops most of the players will go thru a re-evaluation, not just in the Canuck org, but across the NHL. The stronger their season the more their value will improve. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, crobar said:

Chicago is taking extra cap back for this year.

Still though, you’re giving up a second round pick as well with two guys who are legit NHL players who could potentially even help the Hawks in their current state, with one being an F who could play within their top 6 and maybe even thrive.  Giving them a 2nd to do that deal and Murphy in return is a bit rich and unnecessary, imho. I’d skip Murphy (who also has 2 more years left at 4.4 and with N-MTC) and just offer Myers for a B level prospect. I think that could fly.

It might be moot though as not certain  if Myers would accept a trade there though to begin with. 

Beau is whom she be prioritized for trade. Garland is expensive for what he provides for sure, but for now he’s interchangeable within all F lines, whereas Beauvillier is worthless in a 3/4 line role. 

Edited by RWJC

Garland is small in stature, but his motor is undeniable! For that reason if I was coach, I would try Garland on the Penalty Kill! He is willing to sacrifice his body getting in front of pucks AND I would use him in OT more especially if he is having an impactful game. I was at both games and in the last game in OT it is hard to watch a player not continue to skate hard on a back check when a turnover occurs.

I get it, players are tired and YES it was a back to back situation but prior to the OT Kuzmenko wasn't out late in the 3rd period with EP and Mik it was Garland. Also, I am not sold on Mikheyev being given a spot with EP and Kuzmenko. I think that we need to find or groom a player we have to bring some size and physicality to that line.

Also, change the 2nd PP unit, it his horrible and full of SMURFS...Personally I got 2 D on PP1 and move Kuzmenko or Brock to PP2. Hughes is the PP1 QB playing the right point and can set up Hronek on the left side as he jumps to PP1. You then have JT as the net front guy and EP on right circle and Kuz/Brock on left side.

PP1

Kuzmenko JT Miller Pettersson

Hronek Hughes

PP2

Di Gusieppe(puck hound retriever for dump ins) Lafferty(net front) Hoglander (motor/energy/skill)

Boeser(play maker/shooter) Soucy(shooter)

Reward Hoglander with a game in the top 6 and move Mikheyev to line 3 mintures 5 on 5 and more PK time if he can handle it this early back from injury...I am giving him to eary 2024 before I fully judge him but so far I think we should move him down the lineup and give more skilled guys or maybe better line combos a chance for a bit?

Did anyone ask coach Tocchet about how they decided the goaltending assignments? Looking at the schedule the NYR team was top of their division and the Saturday night spotlight game and of course looking back its easier said then done but you pay Demko to be your #1 so play him against the higher end teams and give more games to our seemingly capable bac up De Smith with few more starts but vs easier team on the back to back games

More I think about it, I would be interested in trading Garland for Tanev.

If Tanev wants to stay next season at a fair contract that’s fine. If he wants a retirement contract from another team, that’s fine as well, we get a playoff run and cap space going into the off-season.

• Cheers 1

On 10/28/2023 at 8:22 PM, wai_lai416 said:

Of course he can't be moved without retention.  If he could he would have been traded already.  He fired his agent and hired a new one for the sole purpose of pumping his tires and trying to find a team to take him.  This is with him getting 46 points last year.  If he's at 30 points at the end of this year, he's basically untradeable.  

It's already out there that Allvin has to retain 30% of his salary in order to trade him.  Unless he wants to include some nice sweeteners to team like Chicago.  IMO, it's the only way a deal gets done, retaining around $1.5 million.

It's not ideal, but as Alf keeps saying, it's the only way to clear out another Benning stain...

• Cheers 1

19 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Of course he can't be moved without retention.  If he could he would have been traded already.  He fired his agent and hired a new one for the sole purpose of pumping his tires and trying to find a team to take him.  This is with him getting 46 points last year.  If he's at 30 points at the end of this year, he's basically untradeable.  

It's already out there that Allvin has to retain 30% of his salary in order to trade him.  Unless he wants to include some nice sweeteners to team like Chicago.  IMO, it's the only way a deal gets done, retaining around $1.5 million.

It's not ideal, but as Alf keeps saying, it's the only way to clear out another Benning stain...

i think back in the summer we prolly could have moved garland for minimal to no return but our management insisted on getting value back for him. i do think that boat have long sailed.. who knows maybe some gm gets desperate enough with a LTIR this season in their top 6 and the cap going up maybe 3mil this summer.. fingers crossed

• Cheers 2