[Report] Conor Garland given permission to seek trade

5 minutes ago, stawns said:

I disagree, Garland is the first to almost every puck, digs pucks out, draws penalties, has good vision a great shot and plays much much bigger than he is.  He is a fearless player and rarely gets injured.  

His value is much higher to the team than it is trading him.  Hrs a key player, imo 

I agree with those attributes.  Those aren't worth 5 million per year for two more years, not even close when coupled with his faults. Most teams have kids in their system to do this, or cheaper role players

2 minutes ago, Rekker said:

I agree with those attributes.  Those aren't worth 5 million per year for two more years, not even close when coupled with his faults. Most teams have kids in their system to do this, or cheaper role players

Regardless, he has more value to the team than paying someone to take him.  He's an important contributor and would be hard to replace, so they're better off keeping him, boosting his value, burning a year off his contract and seeing if they can do a deal in the summer

I see no logic in disrupting the chemistry of this team 

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Rekker said:

This, Beau is easiest to move and will happen at some point imho

Agreed.  With podz/Bains, they can afford to move him for a pick/prospect (preferably a prospect).  He's playing much better, which is great for his value

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, stawns said:

Regardless, he has more value to the team than paying someone to take him.

I agree with this. I have been saying, don't do anything stupid trade wise with Garland. Will have to ride this out untill a deal presents itself. 

• Vintage 1

Just now, Rekker said:

I agree with this. I have been saying, don't do anything stupid trade wise with Garland. Will have to ride this out untill a deal presents itself. 

They need to upgrade on Friedman and AB and they're pretty solid top to bottom, imo.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, stawns said:

Agreed.  With podz/Bains, they can afford to move him for a pick/prospect (preferably a prospect).  He's playing much better, which is great for his value

Chicago should pick him up for probably free. Beau has shown he can play a tip six and has the hustle to keep up with Bedard. Even dig some pucks out. 

10 minutes ago, stawns said:

Regardless, he has more value to the team than paying someone to take him.  He's an important contributor and would be hard to replace, so they're better off keeping him, boosting his value, burning a year off his contract and seeing if they can do a deal in the summer

I see no logic in disrupting the chemistry of this team 

Your right. There’s no reason to disrupt the chemistry of this team right now. They’re doing awesome. I think management should wait until we play some of the cup contending teams to see where exactly the team needs an upgrade. 

Just now, Bob Long said:

Hogs-Suter-Garland

Podz-Blueger-Laffery 

I can see this working well for us if we can move Beau, hopefully for some cap relief. 

Id be hesitant to tinker with anything right now to be honest.

If it ain’t broke be patient and wait for the right deal to come along. When they do make a deal for a top 4 I want it to be a long term fit like Hronek.

Sign Bear, sign Kessel or whoever but don’t force a trade for players we don’t need.

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

Id be hesitant to tinker with anything right now to be honest.

If it ain’t broke be patient and wait for the right deal to come along. When they do make a deal for a top 4 I want it to be a long term fit like Hronek.

Sign Bear, sign Kessel or whoever but don’t force a trade for players we don’t need.

I think the next move for a top 4 likely has to come in stages, with cap relief coming first. So moving Beau for cap relief e.g., makes sense to me, since we have guys that can step int the system like Podz (when he's healthy) or maybe even Ratu at some point this year. They have to step in eventually anyway for our cap to work going forward.

I wouldn't want to pay to move Beau, but if CHI e.g., wanted him for free, absolutely do that. 

Once we can bank cap space, maybe there's a TDL deal that can make sense for us if things are still banging along at that point.

38 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

I think the next move for a top 4 likely has to come in stages, with cap relief coming first. So moving Beau for cap relief e.g., makes sense to me, since we have guys that can step int the system like Podz (when he's healthy) or maybe even Ratu at some point this year. They have to step in eventually anyway for our cap to work going forward.

I wouldn't want to pay to move Beau, but if CHI e.g., wanted him for free, absolutely do that. 

Once we can bank cap space, maybe there's a TDL deal that can make sense for us if things are still banging along at that point.

If Podz or Raty are ready sure but I don’t wanna force them up because we don’t have depth.

I’ve really liked Beau and Garlands 200 foot games and I’m not sure we have anyone to replace that. They’re also streaky scorers so once they get going they’re gonna help us a lot.

At some point we’ll need to free up cap Im just saying be patient. It might take until the deadline for the right deal. Forcing a deal like Garland for Peeke doesn’t really move the needle for us though. A big part of what has made us good defensively are guys like Garland and Beau who bring speed and are good on the forecheck.

Edited by DeNiro
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

Just now, DeNiro said:

If Podz or Raty are ready sure but I don’t wanna force them up because we don’t have depth.

I’ve really liked Beau and Garlands 200 foot games and I’m not sure we have anyone to replace that. They’re also streaky scorers so once they get going they’re gonna help us a lot.

At some point we’ll need to free up cap Im just saying be patient. It might take until the deadline for the right deal. Forcing a deal like Garland for Peeke doesn’t really move the needle for us though. A big part of what has made us good defensively are guys like Garland and Beau who have bought in.

Yep that's fair. I don't want Allvin to force anything either. 

7 hours ago, Bob Long said:

Yep that's fair. I don't want Allvin to force anything either. 

If we do a deal it would be nice to also get a solid bottom 6 guy with speed.

It’s really nice being a fast team. Haven’t been able to say that for awhile.

Edited by DeNiro

8 hours ago, stawns said:

What's wrong with him on the third line then?  What they need to do is put Hogz on that line and upgrade on AB.  Then they've got a formidable two way third line.

whats' wrong? him eating up 5 mil in cap space on a 3rd line trending to produce 25-30 points that's whats wrong. if he's making 2.5-3mil no one would have issues with him. the problem is he's not. garland plays hard he draws penalty he digs pucks out so therefore we should pay him 5mil regardless of how many points he produce? Garland is not a fit with any of our top 6 line.. reason being he thinks of himself as a play driver.. he always plays and carries the puck.. that's why he didn't work out on the top line..you have EP and Kuzmenko who is miles better than him with the puck.. his job if he wants to be successful is get the puck and give it to one of those 2 and drive to the front of the net to provide a screen wait for a tap in or a rebound.. but instead he gets the puck.. and he will play around and carry with it for way too long and ends up either losing it or taking a weird angle shot ending the play.. he kinda worked with horvat because horvat isn't a play driver and doesn't really play with the puck.. he just gets the puck and take it to the net and let garland do all the lugging around. 

at this point i rather keep AB because he's actually producing in his limited ice time then garland who spent the first 7 games on the top line and did absolutely nothing. at least AB contract will run out one way or another vs garland whom we are stuck with for another 2 years after this.. Garland is annoying to play against.. but he's not hard to play against.. all they need is a big body to pin him on the board.. and he's spinning no where.. not sure why he loves playing and spinning along the board when he can be easily pinned.

i dare to say if laffety was on the top line instead of garland.. EP would be even further ahead that JH for the points lead. the EP line was god awful 5v5 offensively with Garland on it.. and EP got most of his 5v5 points during that time when he was moved off of that line.

39 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

whats' wrong? him eating up 5 mil in cap space on a 3rd line trending to produce 25-30 points that's whats wrong. if he's making 2.5-3mil no one would have issues with him. the problem is he's not. garland plays hard he draws penalty he digs pucks out so therefore we should pay him 5mil regardless of how many points he produce? Garland is not a fit with any of our top 6 line.. reason being he thinks of himself as a play driver.. he always plays and carries the puck.. that's why he didn't work out on the top line..you have EP and Kuzmenko who is miles better than him with the puck.. his job if he wants to be successful is get the puck and give it to one of those 2 and drive to the front of the net to provide a screen wait for a tap in or a rebound.. but instead he gets the puck.. and he will play around and carry with it for way too long and ends up either losing it or taking a weird angle shot ending the play.. he kinda worked with horvat because horvat isn't a play driver and doesn't really play with the puck.. he just gets the puck and take it to the net and let garland do all the lugging around. 

at this point i rather keep AB because he's actually producing in his limited ice time then garland who spent the first 7 games on the top line and did absolutely nothing. at least AB contract will run out one way or another vs garland whom we are stuck with for another 2 years after this.. Garland is annoying to play against.. but he's not hard to play against.. all they need is a big body to pin him on the board.. and he's spinning no where.. not sure why he loves playing and spinning along the board when he can be easily pinned.

i dare to say if laffety was on the top line instead of garland.. EP would be even further ahead that JH for the points lead. the EP line was god awful 5v5 offensively with Garland on it.. and EP got most of his 5v5 points during that time when he was moved off of that line.

It's irrelevant what he's making at this point, the season has started.  He's a valuable member of the team and is more valuable on the roster than carrying dead cap or giving up a pick/prospect to move him.  That's beyond stupid, imo.

• Cheers 1

9 hours ago, Rekker said:

And Bleuger to come yet.

This plays a part in the trade not being made yet, I've always thought it would be AB not Garland. Until he was wanting out and switched agents. But I still think it's easier to move AB, and it will probably happen once Teddy is healthy!