[Report] Conor Garland given permission to seek trade

10 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

If we can re-sign Myers at around 2 million for 1 season, it's worth it as long as he continues to play the simple game he has been the last few. Just needs to do what he's effective at, don't worry about offense, don't chase the puck, just clear the area around the net.

He's lost a step, but he's still a physical force out there when he just sticks to what he's still good at.

He'd honestly be a good RD stopgap. There are plenty of reasons this could happen.

• Size, I've noticed that sometimes he gets thrown in the box more for his being physical as a huge dude than him crossing any line, but he does provide a size element that would be valuable on the third pairing.
  • He's a known quantity in the room and on the ice, the Canucks know what they're getting from him and don't have to question how he'd fit they way they'd have to question how a brand new player would fit. 
  • He'll already know the team's systems and structures. 
  • He's been here a long time and he has roots out this way. He's more likely to give the Canucks a discount than other UFA's. 
  • From what I've gathered over his time as a Canuck he's well liked and a leader in the room. For example, he did try taking Virtanen under his wing. 
  • Expectations from Myers in a third pairing role at 2-3M are much different than what you'd expect from a guy making 6M. 
  • He's played as a top 4D most of his career, more than likely he'd be able to step up and play that role again in a pinch of injuries were to happen. It's good to have vets like him around, particularly for any younger D we keep hanging around the roster. 
  • It'd piss some Canucks fans off and I think that's a pro. Nothing like a bit of piss and vinegar to rile things up on discussion boards. 
  • I'm half joking, but it'd save someone else from being the whipping boy. 
Edited by Coconuts
  • Cheers 2

4 minutes ago, Rekker said:

He lives in Kelowna., probably wants to stay nearby as that was his reason for signing here in the first place. On a reasonable short term deal, you bet.

See post above. But yeah, I think we're more likely to get some sort of discount from him given he's put down roots here than a guy we'd grab via UFA. Lots of reasons Myers could be a good fit on a cheaper, shorter-term deal.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

See post above. But yeah, I think we're more likely to get some sort of discount from him given he's put down roots here than a guy we'd grab via UFA. Lots of reasons Myers could be a good fit on a cheaper, shorter-term deal.

The devil you know vs the devil you don't. 

• Cheers 2

16 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

7 minutes ago, Rekker said:

The devil you know vs the devil you don't. 

Exactly.  Myers as a defenceman is not the problem.  Myers as the defenceman that makes $6M AAV per year is the problem.  He's a bottom pairing RHD at this point in his career.  At $2M or less, he'd be great in that role. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

“Only a few weeks ago, multiple reports indicated that the Capitals were very interested in the idea of acquiring forward Conor Garland from the Vancouver Canucks. Although not mentioning Garland specifically, and now factoring in the absence of Backstrom in the lineup, Ethan Cadeaux of Monumental Sports Network confirms that Washington is indeed still looking for an addition to the team’s top six forward unit, and their motivation has increased since the news from Backstrom.”

https://www.prohockeyrumors.com/2023/11/metropolitan-notes-islanders-backstrom-vanriemsdyk-trade-interest.html#ref=home

Edited by RWJC

2 hours ago, RWJC said:

“Only a few weeks ago, multiple reports indicated that the Capitals were very interested in the idea of acquiring forward Conor Garland from the Vancouver Canucks. Although not mentioning Garland specifically, and now factoring in the absence of Backstrom in the lineup, Ethan Cadeaux of Monumental Sports Network confirms that Washington is indeed still looking for an addition to the team’s top six forward unit, and their motivation has increased since the news from Backstrom.”

https://www.prohockeyrumors.com/2023/11/metropolitan-notes-islanders-backstrom-vanriemsdyk-trade-interest.html#ref=home

Who are we getting?!  Who are we getting?!   image.png.85a393ebbabf94a9a26995abdaeeacd2.png

Edited by CaptainCanuck12
  • Haha 1

Bottom 6 still needs work 

think of past SC champs / great teams 3rd lines

Pit - kessel Bonino Hagelin

ana - Moen Pahlsson Niedermyer 

chi - bufglyien bolland versteeg 

2010 nucks - Hansen malhotra torres

out bottom 6 is Miles better than last year but that’s cuz last year it was ahl players 

Lol at Edmonton with 5 points on the season 

blow it up deadmonton

Edited by canucks curse

Garland is a bit over paid but he brings it every game and draws penalties. Unless you get some actual value out of him right now you dont trade him. Especially not with money retained. 

Beauvillier on the other hand needs to be in the top 6 to truly get his value. Good depth for injury, but may be worth seeing what the market is for him. If he can fetch a bottom 4 RD or add and get a top 4 thats what Id look at. 

Beauvillier+2nd

for

Andersson

Or

Scott Morrow

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, TopCheese said:

Do you touch this chem at this point ? Pretty sure garlands having fun out there 

Yes. Chemistry's very good. But if the Canucks can bolster the RHD on their backend, where they can strengthen the second pairing and keep Hronek and Hughes together, then I say we do it, but we don't add. It's Garland for another roster player. 

3 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

Yes. Chemistry's very good. But if the Canucks can bolster the RHD on their backend, where they can strengthen the second pairing and keep Hronek and Hughes together, then I say we do it, but we don't add. It's Garland for another roster player. 

Hard to show value when Garland gets limited TOI. That said even at 10 - 12 minutes he looks good. He got a nice shot off in the slot last night but no cigar. Hogs is outplaying him IMHO. 

Garland is overpaid, but he does bring an element that's additive to the mix.  He's not a top 6, but he's paid as one.  If he were $3M/yr, I don't think anyone would want him traded at this point.  If there's a trade offer for him which reduces salary and brings back something helpful, great.  Otherwise it's helpful to have a dog-on-a-bone player with speed who is annoying to play against.

Same goes for Myers.  He's been horrible, but right now he's playing like his fitness level has been elevated another tier.  I'm in the same camp as others here.......if he keeps playing like this, I hope he re-signs here at a big discount to his current salary.  He's had a good ride getting massively overpaid so let's hope he would consider a $2-3M/yr salary for 2 years, which I think is about right at this point.  

On 11/6/2023 at 10:40 PM, RetroCanuck said:

Garland is a bit over paid but he brings it every game and draws penalties. Unless you get some actual value out of him right now you dont trade him. Especially not with money retained. 

Beauvillier on the other hand needs to be in the top 6 to truly get his value. Good depth for injury, but may be worth seeing what the market is for him. If he can fetch a bottom 4 RD or add and get a top 4 thats what Id look at. 

Beauvillier+2nd

for

Andersson

Or

Scott Morrow

Not sure Beau has much value at the moment. He had more in the off-season than now I think.  Let's see if he gets going again.

Beauvillier+2nd

for

Andersson

Or

Scott Morrow

is this a joke? beauvillier + 2nd get you andersson?? or carolina's 2nd best prospect?

don't worry about moving garland coz he ain't going anywhere unless the canucks are retaining on him. he's on pace for 20.5 points this season.. even if teams are interested in garland he's going to take the risk of multiple years at 5mil for a player that's trending the wrong way offensively? and i've said it before 75% of garland's production in vancouver have been against non playoff teams.. he's not even producing against those team right now i don't see him snapping out of his offensive slump. he's averaging less ice time than beauvillier and joshua.. that's how important tocchet view him.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

is this a joke? beauvillier + 2nd get you andersson?? or carolina's 2nd best prospect?

don't worry about moving garland coz he ain't going anywhere unless the canucks are retaining on him. he's on pace for 20.5 points this season.. even if teams are interested in garland he's going to take the risk of multiple years at 5mil for a player that's trending the wrong way offensively? and i've said it before 75% of garland's production in vancouver have been against non playoff teams.. he's not even producing against those team right now i don't see him snapping out of his offensive slump. he's averaging less ice time than beauvillier and joshua.. that's how important tocchet view him.

The circumstances for Beau and Garland are strictly "numbers" and we simply do not have room for them. They are quality players who are going to do much better on different teams. 

They just didn't become all of sudden, awful players, sheesh! 😃

I'm going to reiterate what I said "Back in the CDC days".

Beauvillier is the guy we should have focused on moving while his stock was higher. He then went into a lull, but has shown more lately - though I still don't consider him the top 6 guy we need and never did. Garland on the other hand, I've always supported. While undersized, he still brings a fair amount to the table... he just happens to be paid more than he should be. I DO think he's capable as a 2nd liner.

I also still maintain that we are better off keeping Garland instead of adding a sweetener to move him. It seemed at one point he was forcing our hand to do so because he wanted out, but now that the team is winning, he apparently doesn't find it so bad. He still needs to get back to scoring more, but that's a challenge if Tocchet isn't willing to up his ice time. Assuming we don't NEED to move him (and from a cap perspective, we really don't need to any longer), then I actually find that despite his salary, there is no mad rush to get rid of him. Hopefully he starts finding consistency this year to increase his value. (Either to us, or to any potential suitor)

On 11/6/2023 at 4:41 PM, RWJC said:

Caps are more likely to look for a center imo 

Though I'd do Garland for Mantha 

Could see a world where the Caps have interest in Lindholm, they could use a better puck distributor up front and he's a proven goal scorer

They could just pay him Backstrom's cap space 

Edited by Coconuts
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, EdgarM said:

The circumstances for Beau and Garland are strictly "numbers" and we simply do not have room for them. They are quality players who are going to do much better on different teams. 

They just didn't become all of sudden, awful players, sheesh! 😃

He didn’t all of a sudden become awful he’s always been awful against good teams his stats and underlying numbers are night and day when it comes to playoff caliber teams and lottery teams. He plays the same way but the good teams deals with him easily coz he’s small predictable just get a bigger body and pin him along the board rather than let him spin over and over again. I love his effort but I can’t stand the way he plays with the puck. Just take the puck and either get to the net with your speed or shoot it on let. Stop spinning along the board ffs.

11 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

beauviller would cost us a bit to dump

garland we'd be on the hook for 2m of cap space unless we add a sweetener

garland + 2nd + a decent prospect for future considerations to unload him without cap retention is my guess

beauvillier could probably be exchanged for a similar non-performing player who needs a change of scenery, thats the deal id try to find if it exists anywhere

Beauvillier+2nd

for

Andersson

Or

Scott Morrow

More like 1st, top prospect AND beauvillier as the money swap for Andersson to have them consider it.