[Proposal] Gudbranson round 2

1 minute ago, higgyfan said:

M-NTC  I'm guessing that the Canucks are on Guddy's 10 team no trade list.

Possibly, I did say this could be a hiccup. But I could also very easily see a world where Guddy opts to join a team that's probably closer to making the playoffs than Columbus if given the opportunity. New coach, new teammates, new management, it's not as if he'd be coming back to what he left. 

He had a pretty good season in Calgary prior to last year in Columbus.

Tocchet and our D-Staff might like his game.

Also be nice having a guy who can fight pretty well again.

4M though for 3 more seasons for a 3rd pairing guy who at his best(which he hasn't shown consistently) is Soucy-level.

Wouldn't be the first D I would try to get out of Columbus, or the 2nd, or the 3rd, or...

37 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

He had a pretty good season in Calgary prior to last year in Columbus.

Tocchet and our D-Staff might like his game.

Also be nice having a guy who can fight pretty well again.

4M though for 3 more seasons for a 3rd pairing guy who at his best(which he hasn't shown consistently) is Soucy-level.

Wouldn't be the first D I would try to get out of Columbus, or the 2nd, or the 3rd, or...

Perhaps, but if Garland was an asset that would get the Canucks a great return he'd have done so already. If Garland wants out it's likely other teams know about it, this hurts the leverage of the Canucks in negotiations. Nucks fans have been talking about how to potentially move him since like.. last spring. 

Guddy, or a player of similar value (including contract value), may simply be what's available. 

Nah I'd skip this deal. 

Unless we believe Guddy can play with Hughes for a couple years until a RD prospect steps up, then I think it is too much money for a 3rd pair Dman. 

Yeah the size and grit is great, but I'm sure we could find a 3rd pairing big tough Dman that also only makes 1-2 million. 

17 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Chaos Giraffe would be happy to have another defenceman take all the flak for him....

Chaos Giraffe will likely be gone after this season, which will open up space for a different look on defense. Guddy would replace some of the size lost when he goes.

13 hours ago, Guntrix said:

Really? Gudbranson?

Yeah, not optimal but perhaps a fit nonetheless. 

I understand he's overpaid and not an ideal return, but realistically we aren't getting an ideal return for Garland anyway. Assuming he's moved. More than likely we'd be taking a similar contract back, and Guddy's contract is the exact same length as Garland's. It's not brand new cap coming in, it's more of a cap swap. 

Cole and Myers coming off at the end of the season still frees up room for management to address the D further. In the meantime we'd be bringing in an RD who can provide a physical element to our back end, who may look better in a more defensively structured system. He did okay in Calgary. 

No ideal, but he'd still tick some boxes. Teams have likely known Garland has been available for a while, even before this news broke, if we were going to get a good return for him it'd likely have happened by now. Realistically any Garland move probably ends up being a swap of contracts neither team wants, at least Guddy would give us a D and free up a forward slot. 

57 minutes ago, Bobby James said:

Nah I'd skip this deal. 

Unless we believe Guddy can play with Hughes for a couple years until a RD prospect steps up, then I think it is too much money for a 3rd pair Dman. 

Yeah the size and grit is great, but I'm sure we could find a 3rd pairing big tough Dman that also only makes 1-2 million. 

Maybe, but as said above, the return for Garland is probably going to be less than ideal anyway. At least it'd give us another RD with size to trot out on D and free up a forward slot, we'll likely be letting one of those walk at the end of the season.

His contract has negative value, and he’s blocking their prospects. If they’re motivated to move him, this could work out.

Buying him out next Summer would cost them about $1.3M for 4 years. If they retained $1M, it would be worth it IMHO.

Try him with Hughes. If it doesn’t work, he replaces Myers for half the price.

Edited by Huggy Bear

I actually think Guddy would make a great partner for Hughes and covers for a lot of his weaknesses. Guddy is mostly terrible because he can't handle the puck. That's not much of an issue since Hughes is doing most of the puck carrying. 

On 10/11/2023 at 1:52 PM, Snoop Hogg said:

Let’s bring back Keith Ballard and Jason Garrison while we are going back to the future.

Well, we could always use more trade chips.. 

23 hours ago, Huggy Bear said:

His contract has negative value, and he’s blocking their prospects. If they’re motivated to move him, this could work out.

Buying him out next Summer would cost them about $1.3M for 4 years. If they retained $1M, it would be worth it IMHO.

Try him with Hughes. If it doesn’t work, he replaces Myers for half the price.

Guddy at 3M wouldn't be so bad, still not ideal but better than 4M

23 hours ago, MeanSeanBean said:

I don't care how good looking he is, trading Dylan Guenther and ending up with and overpaid Guddy and millions of dollars of dead cap space makes my soul hurt.

I got a chuckle out of this, my apologies

20 hours ago, AK-19 said:

I actually think Guddy would make a great partner for Hughes and covers for a lot of his weaknesses. Guddy is mostly terrible because he can't handle the puck. That's not much of an issue since Hughes is doing most of the puck carrying. 

If Guddy's relied on to simply mind his own end for the most part I could see him doing alright, particularly on a team more committed to a defensive structure, he played on such a team in Calgary and had his best season in years 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Coconuts said:

Guddy at 3M wouldn't be so bad, still not ideal but better than 4M

No, ideal is Garland rebuilds his 1st round pick value.

If, however, he becomes a distraction, and this was the only deal on the table…

I could live with Gudbranson, 3 yrs at $3M, and his MNTC.

4 minutes ago, Huggy Bear said:

No, ideal is Garland rebuilds his 1st round pick value.

If, however, he becomes a distraction, and this was the only deal on the table…

I could live with Gudbranson, 3 yrs at $3M, and his MNTC.

I could see him rehabilitating some of his value but I doubt he'd ever garner a 1st, and if he's playing that well I imagine the Canucks would just opt to keep him or find some sort of lateral salary that brings a reasonably valued player back

Edited by Coconuts

We’d get an immediate ~$2M in cap space, plus a heavy shutdown D who’s only 31.

We could try him with Hughes, or have him replace Myers when that trade opens up.

1 minute ago, Coconuts said:

I could see him rehabilitating some of his value but I doubt he'd ever garner a 1st, and if he's playing that well I imagine the Canucks would just opt to keep him or find some sort of lateral salary that brings a reasonably valued player back

yeah, there’s always the chance that he walks it back, like Boeser did. 

This seems like a very Tuesday conversation, after watching Garlund take that pass on the backhand to forehand after skating in ONSIDE to the Ozone net as Petey cruzed to the top corner to pass.

The other stuff about Myers is a lack of patience to see how Myers can play with the right guy, like Cole in this game....

How do you not see that Garlund is worth his stable contract?

Brock is worth his contract.

Myers.... well, he could be this year again. Already alot more confidence instead of trying to back skate and block, he is attacking again.

On 10/10/2023 at 4:27 PM, Coconuts said:

If possible, sure. But if the idea is for the Canucks to trade Garland I believe their trade options will be more limited. Like I said, trading for Guddy wouldn't be ideal but it could still tick some boxes. It also frees up a forward slot. 

Cole and Myers are both up at the end of the year, Guddy's salary would roughly be a wash because it'd be swapped for Garland's. If the Canucks want to tinker further with their defense going forward they should have the flex to do so. Having Hughes and Hronek could absolutely be a reality going forward even if we did acquire Guddy.

I think we walk away from Myers, Guddy would replace some of his size.

And thrice his grit. 

• ThereItIs 1

On 10/10/2023 at 4:55 PM, King Heffy said:

I think the idiots coaching the team, especially Baumgartner, made him look way worse than he actually is during his time here.  People really underestimate just how much damage Green and WD did to the roster with their inability to implement an effective system.

IMO, people overestimated the quality of our roster during that period more than anything else.   Not sure why we should expect a better result then what we had.   

28 minutes ago, IBatch said:

IMO, people overestimated the quality of our roster during that period more than anything else.   Not sure why we should expect a better result then what we had.   

Wasn't great but both those coaches made it way worse by gifting AHL trash unearned roster spots and hiring unqualified assistants.  Who knows how badly development was stunted due to having completely incompetent coaching?