[Speculation] Philadelphia Flyers Willing To Take On Salary

RWJC

Not Philly-specific, but I really hope that management can smarten up and move guys like Beauvillier and Myers as pending UFA assets to contenders instead of dumping longer-term contracts that they signed themselves.  Let that big bucks fall off the books elsewhere (or do Pearson for DeSmith type trades) instead of straight cap dumps.

• Vintage 1

52 minutes ago, Phil_314 said:

Not Philly-specific, but I really hope that management can smarten up and move guys like Beauvillier and Myers as pending UFA assets to contenders instead of dumping longer-term contracts that they signed themselves.  Let that big bucks fall off the books elsewhere (or do Pearson for DeSmith type trades) instead of straight cap dumps.

Agree with this. 

OEL buyout, Dickinson, etc. They've been forced to pay quite the price in order to try to re-balance the roster so far. 

Management should feel forced or heavily influenced into the situation you are hoping for.

Don't think Garland is a Canuck at this point if other moves weren't made. I'm hopeful so also biased, but could speak to them having that approach.  

14 hours ago, RWJC said:

Maybe not a 1st but if there’s a deal where we take someone off their hands that fits our need as well perhaps we could reduce any penalty we might pay to offload the Garland contract. (Eg. Garnet Hathaway)

Flyers GM Briere was a small player…perhaps he sees value despite Garland’s stature

Frankly I would do this swap.  Gets us out from under that money earlier and we free up cap for the next two years that Garnet's signed, and we add another big physical guy while they can add more skill.  

• Cheers 1

Philly willing to take on contracts. That's great. But it always comes at a cost doesn't it? And what is the cost that Philly would be asking for? Probably our 2024 1st round pick. And with no promise that we will make it to the postseason, no way am I trading that 1st. If we miss the postseason again, that 1st would be extremely valuable to us, and we wouldn't have it, cause it would be Philly's now. No thanks. 

To me, that's not a gamble worth taking. 

1 minute ago, RWJC said:

People are going think I’m nuts but I’d ship Garland (no salary retained), Rathbone and a 1st round pick to MTL for Arber Xhekaj and Michael Pezzetta.

I would love to have a guy like Xhekaj on this team for the next decade in our RHD rotation. 

He just stood up to Ryan Reaves after a cheap shot hit to his D partner, and although it wasn’t much of a scrap, he manhandled Reaves a bit which was quite impressive. 

Doubt Montreal would even consider but I would love that deal. 

• Cheers 3

3 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

We'd probably have to take Armia back.

for sure they’d try. Armia’s a bad cap hit though for this and next season. Defeats the purpose of any trade between us and them unless it’s a 1

for 1, but again, solves no problem

for us other than to save 1 mill per and for less of a player then we gave up.

21 hours ago, Rick_theRyper said:

For a first Rd pick! No thanks

First of all, I doubt Philly would trade their 1st rounder for Garland. However, if they were willing, yes please!

Think about it. Philly's supposed to be a tire fire this year. That's highly likely to be a top 10 pick, maybe even top 5.

However, for those same reasons, Philly would probably say no as I said. lol

Edited by The Lock

1 hour ago, The Lock said:

First of all, I doubt Philly would trade their 1st rounder for Garland. However, if they were willing, yes please!

Think about it. Philly's supposed to be a tire fire this year. That's highly likely to be a top 10 pick, maybe even top 5.

However, for those same reasons, Philly would probably say no as I said. lol

The article said Philly was looking to gain a first round pick to take a 2.5m contract. I mean no way should we pay that price, hell even a 2nd to offload Garland. Unless it's a damn good RD coming back. But yeah I did not mean us get a first.. 

9 minutes ago, Rick_theRyper said:

The article said Philly was looking to gain a first round pick to take a 2.5m contract. I mean no way should we pay that price, hell even a 2nd to offload Garland. Unless it's a damn good RD coming back. But yeah I did not mean us get a first.. 

Oh, well obviously no with that. Garland's not even on a bad contract really. He just needs the right location to shine in my opinion.

I'll go misread something elsewhere now. lol

Edited by The Lock