[Article] Canucks will ‘follow the league rules’ on Pride Tape and specialty jerseys

RWJC

On 10/11/2023 at 1:10 PM, TheGuardian said:

Hey lets start having this much passion about how our senior citizens living on the pension/fixed and indexed pensions have been totally shuttled off to the side.

If a senior on a fixed income has teeth problems they cannot get any work done. Under an emergency they will pull them out only if they can pull out more than 5 teeth.

The most cost effective substitute for teeth is the 4 on dentures not the old style suction ones. They last decades but suction need replacing every 5 years at over $5000.00 per. With no dental insurance on a fixed income.

Over the last 5 years dental prices have more than doubled even though the parts have not, nor the tie needed which has gone down. Over $56,000.00 for false teeth.

Hey lets jump on this band wagon, teeth are incredibly necessary for health. There are WAAAaayy more seniors needing help than tape on a stick by one or two players.

Seniors get nothing, not even attention. 

This isn't actually true.

I know this because my father is currently undergoing dental work that would be $5000 but is costing a quarter of that. He's having his dentures replaced and also has required some additional work that was unexpected. 

I mean, the consultation was twenty bucks.

UBC dental school provides services for seniors so there are options.

It's not the same as showing support for a group that has to endure a lot of hatred and vitriol spewed their way on a daily basis just for living their lives. 

1 hour ago, -dlc- said:

I know this because my father is currently undergoing dental work that would be $5000 but is costing a quarter of that. He's having his dentures replaced and also has required some additional work that was unexpected. 

It's not the same as showing support for a group that has to endure a lot of hatred and vitriol spewed their way on a daily basis just for living their lives. 

Where do people live that they are seeing that sort of thing on a daily basis? People being disgusting online is one thing, and can happen to virtually anybody for virtually any ridiculous reason. But, in the 'real world'? Like, where..? 

They should continue to make those jerseys.   Fans can wear them. 

I always look forward to the Lunar New Year ones. 

On 10/13/2023 at 10:23 AM, -dlc- said:

Growing up in Richmond I had free dental work done while in elementary school.  They bused us to UBC.  Looking back I think we were basically being worked on by dental students, with supervision.   

Edited by Jaimito
  • Cheers 1

3 hours ago, -dlc- said:

Good sig!

image.png.cad3e23508e8cba657c84e00fae032d8.png

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, LaBamba said:

I’m just tired of everything being a big deal all the time either way.

ohh no, their sticks are rainbow!!!
ohh no, their sticks aren’t rainbow!!!

who cares, pass me a beer. 

image.gif.e9ca094b40efcaee3a84a79dc07a99fc.gif

image.gif.5648fd31721a0bb5f442746bf29d4860.gif

Edited by RWJC
  • Cheers 1

4 hours ago, MeanSeanBean said:

Oh jeez, you should email the National Cancer Institute, they have their information wrong. Good thing some random dude on the internet caught that!

https://www.cancer.gov/about-cancer/causes-prevention/risk/age

But I guess you have a point about apples and oranges. It's a shame the NHL never got around to 'Senior Dental Health Awareness Night'. Was only a matter of time to right? Those blasted snowflakes ruined everything!

What do you do personally to spread the word for seniors dental health. With this genuine concern shown on the internet I assume you must really care about this initiative. 

I don't know Guardian but I've always wondered how much posters who throw these other issues really care about them outside of using them as a proxy to shut down other issues.

And apologies if you're actually advocating / lobbying for seniors stuff IRL. The internet is a very cynical place. And I've seen too many "save the troops" props from politicians who actively vote against funding the military as one example. 

And even then, people can support more than one cause at a time.

Edited by DSVII
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Swizzey said:

Fully support this. It’s been so tiring having sport become a political and social agenda as opposed to being a release from all world chaos. I just want to watch hockey. 

Some other folks just want to be able to watch and play hockey too. It's kind of what this is about.

• Cheers 2
  • ThereItIs 1

On 10/12/2023 at 12:23 PM, The Lock said:

You literally didn't even answer my question. What makes the Diwali the same as the pride?

They are both special jerseys. All special jerseys are banned. It's not that complicated. Unless you think that the rainbow is better than Diwali, which was my point. 

I'm a white guy, so Diwali doesn't mean anything to me. I was just using it as an example. No one is really freaking out about any of the other themed nights being cancelled, just the pride night. It's crazy.

• Vintage 1

23 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Some other folks just want to be able to watch and play hockey too. It's kind of what this is about.

And they can. No one is saying they can't. Just some players don't want to wear a rainbow jersey.

It's absolutely crazy to me what's going on. A few years ago, gays rightfully said they just want to be with who they love and everyone treat them with respect. They very thankfully have that now, but apparently that's not enough anymore. Now everyone MUST worship them and submit to the all holy rainbow. Failure to do so is "hate" and an angry mob comes after you. 

Why isn't enough for people to just say "you do you, glad you're happy" without being forced to actively participate and give their blessing and approval. Why so desperate for everyone's approval? Why are even non gay people frothing at the mouth to get everyone to submit to the rainbow? It's disturbing. It's like a cult.

• Haha 1
  • Vintage 1

33 minutes ago, aGENT said:

I think we are past all this though, nobody cares. Even if someone who hated gay people (deeply closeted) saw someone gay playing hockey, they wouldn’t say anything because it’s just part of our society now. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, madrigal77 said:

And they can. No one is saying they can't. Just some players don't want to wear a rainbow jersey.

It's absolutely crazy to me what's going on. A few years ago, gays rightfully said they just want to be with who they love and everyone treat them with respect. They very thankfully have that now, but apparently that's not enough anymore. Now everyone MUST worship them and submit to the all holy rainbow. Failure to do so is "hate" and an angry mob comes after you. 

Why isn't enough for people to just say "you do you, glad you're happy" without being forced to actively participate and give their blessing and approval. Why so desperate for everyone's approval? Why are even non gay people frothing at the mouth to get everyone to submit to the rainbow? It's disturbing. It's like a cult.

...And why don't they want to wear the jersey? Is it because they're so supportive of inclusivity in hockey (which is what the jersey, tape etc are promoting)?

They don't "have that now". NHL players openly, actively refusing to support their inclusion says otherwise. And that's at the NHL level with media and cameras/microphones everywhere and a global reach. Never mind down at the local rink.

Nobody is asking anyone to worship anyone or "submit to the holy rainbow". That's ridiculous. People are rightly upset with an active choice to not support inclusion in sport. Actions have consequences. That's what's happening here.

Nobody is looking for approval. They're looking for acceptance, tolerance and inclusion. 

The "cult" of treating everyone equally? The horror.

6 minutes ago, LaBamba said:

I think we are past all this though, nobody cares. Even if someone who hated gay people (deeply closeted) saw someone gay playing hockey, they wouldn’t say anything because it’s just part of our society now. 

But some people do say something. That's the problem, most of us may be past it, but some are CLEARLY not.

• Cheers 2

51 minutes ago, madrigal77 said:

Take the rainbow out of it for now because it clearly has narrowed your scope on what this is. Pretend it's something else, like military appreciation night.

You agreed with the decision of individual hockey players to not wear a specific jersey because it goes against their beliefs. An individual choice that the league respected and honestly only the media made a fuss about it to one or two specific individuals. Kuzmenko didn't have anyone harass him about this for instance.

The league made a ban on tape which is another way individuals can express themselves, same as say imposing a ban on creative Goalie mask designs celebrating the military.  We now have players who are banned from expressing themselves as individuals.

Why is individual choice being respected in one instance, and why aren't you advocating for that in the latter? And if you're appealing to authority in the tape case, then would you say if the league mandated that everyone should wear the special jersey then they should have being employees of the team?

I'm just curious what your thought process here is, and if your defending of an individual's choice is consistent here. Because honestly it reads to me like you just have a bias on the 'holy rainbow' and are making it something that it is not. 

On 10/12/2023 at 8:32 AM, Gurn said:

As posted in the other thread.

NHL-  back that train up- things have changed

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/autos/news/national-hockey-league-lifts-ban-on-pride-tape-a-step-towards-lgbtq-inclusion/ar-AA1i5X3n?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=3d61801c25b34567af49a1c767f97275&ei=35

"n a significant development, the National Hockey League (NHL) has lifted its ban on the use of pride tape on hockey sticks, paving the way for players to freely show their support for the LGBTQ+ community. This decision, seen as a testament to the league’s commitment to inclusivity, comes after deliberations between NHL officials and advocates from the LGBTQ+ community.

The ban on pride tape was initially imposed in 2019, citing concerns that the colorful tape could create distractions on the ice. This move sparked controversy and was criticized by several figures within the league, including former NHL executive and LGBTQ+ advocate Patrick Burke. Burke, who is also the founder of the You Can Play Project, commented that the decision was a setback and a betrayal of the league’s commitment to diversity and inclusion. Similarly, Bruins captain Brad Marchand expressed his disappointment, advocating for the players’ right to support causes they believe in without backlash

The lifting of the ban, however, seems to herald a new era of inclusivity in the NHL. The league has now acknowledged the importance of fostering an inclusive and diverse environment in professional hockey. The decision aligns with a broader trend in the sports world to promote equality and create safe spaces for all athletes, regardless of their sexual orientation or gender identity.

Many players have welcomed the decision, expressing their excitement and intention to use the pride tape in upcoming games. The tape, which features the colors of the rainbow, has been widely embraced and celebrated by players and fans alike as a symbol of support and acceptance for the LGBTQ+ community.

This reversal of the NHL’s stance sends a powerful message of acceptance, highlighting the growing recognition of LGBTQ+ rights in sports. It is hoped that this decision will inspire other sports organizations to take similar measures to support LGBTQ+ inclusion.

The lifting of the ban on pride tape represents a significant milestone in the journey towards inclusivity in sports. While the initial ban on pride tape was seen as a step backward, the NHL’s decision to reverse it indicates a positive shift in attitude towards the LGBTQ+ community. This move not only strengthens the bond between the players and their fans but also sets a precedent for other sports organizations to follow.

Haven't seen this reported anywhere else, so not sure if true?

• Vintage 1

They can not want to wear the jersey for whatever reason they want. And it's not supporting inclusivity no matter how much you kick and scream like a child over it. The rainbow does not mean "inclusivity". It means gay. If you want to come up with an inclusivity symbol, I'm sure every player would be happy to wear it. That would be great. It could be a symbol for everyone and totally negate the loss of all these themed nights because it would include everyone.

They don't "have that now". NHL players openly, actively refusing to support their inclusion says otherwise. And that's at the NHL level with media and cameras/microphones everywhere and a global reach. Never mind down at the local rink.

They do have that now. And why so desperate for everyone's support? Why, again, is "you do you, glad you're happy" not enough? I've yet to see any player say that that gays are not welcome to play hockey. 

Nobody is asking anyone to worship anyone or "submit to the holy rainbow". That's ridiculous. People are rightly upset with an active choice to not support inclusion in sport. Actions have consequences. That's what's happening here.

Yes they are. if they don't want to wear the rainbow, they are torn apart in the media and online. How is that not demanding submission to the rainbow? It's not an active choice not to support inclusion in sport. It's an active choice not to wear a jersey.

Nobody is looking for approval. They're looking for acceptance, tolerance and inclusion. 

They have that. They are demanding approval by having everyone wear the rainbow.

The "cult" of treating everyone equally? The horror.

Everyone equally unless they don't want to bow to the rainbow.

But some people do say something. That's the problem, most of us may be past it, but some are CLEARLY not.

There are always going to be assholes that are prejudice against certain minorities. That is human nature. It has always been like that and always will be. 

• Vintage 1

25 minutes ago, DSVII said:

Take the rainbow out of it for now because it clearly has narrowed your scope on what this is. Pretend it's something else, like military appreciation night.

You agreed with the decision of individual hockey players to not wear a specific jersey because it goes against their beliefs. An individual choice that the league respected and honestly only the media made a fuss about it to one or two specific individuals. Kuzmenko didn't have anyone harass him about this for instance.

The league made a ban on tape which is another way individuals can express themselves, same as say imposing a ban on creative Goalie mask designs celebrating the military.  We now have players who are banned from expressing themselves as individuals.

Why is individual choice being respected in one instance, and why aren't you advocating for that in the latter? And if you're appealing to authority in the tape case, then would you say if the league mandated that everyone should wear the special jersey then they should have being employees of the team?

I'm just curious what your thought process here is, and if your defending of an individual's choice is consistent here. Because honestly it reads to me like you just have a bias on the 'holy rainbow' and are making it something that it is not. 

Haven't seen this reported anywhere else, so not sure if true?

I have only seen it on the link, as well, so maybe the policy hasn't changed; but the disinformation campaign has started?

1 hour ago, madrigal77 said:

The over 400 anti-lgbtq bills introduced in the US Congress in just 2023 alone would belie the bolded statement. 

That is the inclusivity that people want - they would like very much to not be legislated out of their right to be.

And some of us support that right. Others don't. If everyone agreed they have the right to be who they are (regardless of how one personally feels about the lgbtq community), this would be a non-issue....

• Vintage 2

1 minute ago, Swizzey said:

Who in North America is prohibited from watching and playing hockey outside of a financial limitation? 

If you don't think certain people don't still face everything from dismissal to outright hostility, simply for who they are, in hockey arenas and locker rooms, I don't know what to tell you.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Swizzey said:

Who in North America is prohibited from watching and playing hockey outside of a financial limitation? 

I mean, you're not wrong. Anyone can play hockey. Must be why there are so many openly gay players in the league. How many are there again? What's that? Zero? So sure, they can play as long as they don't discuss anything about their sexuality. We need a zippy name for that, like "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" or maybe "Don't Say Gay". Hey! I think I could be on to something here!

Meanwhile their straight teammates are showing home video of their gang rape to everyone. Yup, absolutely NO ONE is being prohibited from playing hockey.

• Confused 2

11 minutes ago, aGENT said:

If you don't think certain people don't still face everything from dismissal to outright hostility, simply for who they are, in hockey arenas and locker rooms, I don't know what to tell you.

I’m not saying there aren’t barriers within any sport for many different races, genders, and whatever else you can tag on to a corrupted world. The world is unequal, I get it. But does everything need to be a campaign about x, y, or z. Sport is the one place I find an escape from “the world sucks and we are living in it”.

22 minutes ago, Swizzey said:

I’m not saying there aren’t barriers within any sport for many different races, genders, and whatever else you can tag on to a corrupted world. The world is unequal, I get it. But does everything need to be a campaign about x, y, or z. Sport is the one place I find an escape from “the world sucks and we are living in it”.

So we should just dismiss those barriers? Meh, not my problem?

Replace "gay" with "black". Should we just "meh" about a small percentage of ass hats going out of their way to make them feel unwelcome in and around hockey (or anywhere else)? Or should we show that we support their inclusion, as equal persons in our society, and in fact stand up for their rights to do so, while holding people who don't accountable for their actions?

EVERYONE should be able to find escape in sport. Right now, everyone can't. That's kind of the point.

Edited by aGENT
  • Cheers 3

46 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Replace "gay" with "black". Should we just "meh" about a small percentage of ass hats going out of their way to make them feel unwelcome in and around hockey (or anywhere else)? Or should we show that we support their inclusion, as equal persons in our society, and in fact stand up for their rights to do so, while holding people who don't accountable for their actions?

EVERYONE should be able to find escape in sport. Right now, everyone can't. That's kind of the point.

Again, why are you so desperate? It’s disturbing. You come across as completely unhinged. 

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, madrigal77 said:

Again, why are you so desperate? It’s disturbing. You come across as completely unhinged. 

Desperate? For equality? Is disturbing? That's unhinged....ok....thanks for "contributing".

Edited by aGENT
  • Haha 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, aGENT said:

I’m not saying dismiss anything. I’m saying sport shouldn't be the avenue of political and social campaigns for equal rights. The reality is a very large majority of the place we live agree that everyone is an equal person in our society.