[Article] Canucks will ‘follow the league rules’ on Pride Tape and specialty jerseys

RWJC

16 hours ago, StrayDog said:

Nope, anyone who makes bigoted statements is a bigot. Using "feminist" as an insult, just like calling me a Social Justice Warrior in an insulting manner, marks you as a bigot. I have had plenty of disagreements with people here and on the old site without calling them bigots. But if you out yourself as one, I will call you on it.

Please don't Mr.StrayDog!! Not the false claims of bigotry. Honestly bro, give your balls a tug and grow tf up. 

• Confused 1

4 hours ago, toochmahgooch said:

Please don't Mr.StrayDog!! Not the false claims of bigotry. Honestly bro, give your balls a tug and grow tf up. 

On 10/13/2023 at 10:43 PM, Swizzey said:

Perhaps it has less to do with gays not being allowed to play and more to do with gays not embodying the characteristics of what it takes to be  an NHL hockey player. 

Tell you what, if you or anyone else can make a convincing argument as to why Swizzey's remark (that gay men do not embody what it takes to be an NHL player) could not possibly be construed as bigoted and homophobic, I will publicly apologize to all that have defended it.

Otherwise, anyone defending that statement (which is what started me labelling people bigots) to be correct is a bigot and a homophobe. 

• Upvote 1
  • ThereItIs 1

8 hours ago, madrigal77 said:

In what world is it “bigotry” to not want to wear a hockey jersey?

It's condoning it when you actively refuse to wear one, with a press conference no less, that's supporting inclusion in sport.

Why do you think they're refusing to wear them? Why ACTIVELY, publicly refuse to wear "just a jersey"?

Edited by aGENT
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

7 hours ago, aGENT said:

It's condoning it when you actively refuse to wear one, with a press conference no less, that's supporting inclusion in sport.

Why do you think they're refusing to wear them? Why ACTIVELY, publicly refuse to wear "just a jersey"?

Could be any number of reasons. Maybe they just don’t like them. Maybe they view the rainbow as a religious symbol and don’t want to wear it in honour of anything else. It doesn’t matter. They have a right to not participate in something they don’t feel comfortable with. 

• Cheers 1

11 hours ago, StrayDog said:

I'm sorry, I need a clarification. Did you just ask why would you care about equality?

If you can't understand why anyone would need to care about equality, you're part of the problem.

I’m no social justice warrior. I don’t care. I’m not out to save the world. Especially when it comes to hockey jerseys!

• Confused 1

13 minutes ago, madrigal77 said:

Could be any number of reasons. Maybe they just don’t like them. Maybe they view the rainbow as a religious symbol and don’t want to wear it in honour of anything else. It doesn’t matter. They have a right to not participate in something they don’t feel comfortable with. 

They told us why they didn't "like" them FYI. 

Rainbow is a religious symbol...??? What?

They have the right to choose not to participate. We have the right to call them on condoning bigotry. Ain't freedom grand.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

On 10/14/2023 at 9:27 AM, toochmahgooch said:

What women doesnt have the same rights as men? 

Cute. Anyone who disagrees with you is a bigot. That sounds mighty liberal of you. Disagree on a topic, well that person MUST be a bigot.

But, I'm glad a Social Justice Warrior like yourself Is breaking down barriers on a hockey forum. 

On 10/14/2023 at 12:15 AM, Swizzey said:

On 10/14/2023 at 12:08 AM, StrayDog said:

Please please please tell me the way that gays don't embody the characteristics of what it takes to be an NFL player. That should be truly enlightening.....

The same reason that bricklayers are 99% male and 92% of nurses are women. Gays are just as talented as straights, their talents seem to gravitate toward different professions where they thrive. For example, over 50% of professional male dancers are gay. 

On 10/14/2023 at 12:32 AM, Swizzey said:
On 10/14/2023 at 12:23 AM, StrayDog said:

Is it really that absurd to suggest that the underrepresentation of gays in hockey could weigh more heavily on the reality that majority of gays gravitate toward more feminine athletic platforms. Not only gravitate, but thrive in those fields. 

On 10/14/2023 at 12:50 AM, Swizzey said:

I’m not a bigot, and I don’t mean to be insulting. Can you explain to me why less than 1% of brick layers are women and less than 12% of nurses are women?

And why aren’t you fighting for those inequalities? Do you not care about women bricklayers? Do you not care about male nurses? Your double standard and bigotry is unreal. Not only that, you seem proud of it. 

On 10/14/2023 at 12:54 AM, StrayDog said:

You are a bigot, and a homophobe, and you are incredibly insulting. I am ashamed for you at your archaic viewpoints of what constitutes a gay man.

Nice attempt at deflection with the bricklaying nurses, though. 

On 10/14/2023 at 12:58 AM, Swizzey said:

I’m genuinely interested on your explanation regarding bricklayers and nurses in relation to how personality and characteristics gravitate people to certain careers. Give me an alternative lens to view that through. 

I have given a compelling explanation to why gays could be underrepresented in hockey. You never gave me your outlook on why this is the case. Please unpack why you think gays are underrepresented in hockey. 

The floor is yours. 

1 hour ago, madrigal77 said:

if I was a Russian hockey player in NA and knew my family could face real backlash and potential violence if I were to publicly support something here that is vehemently persecuted in Russia, I wouldn’t either. I’d just want my opinion to be kept private, which is my basic right as a human being. 

I don’t care how important the cause is here, and I have the utmost respect for Zadorov for his recent statement, but there are more reasons than just chalking things up to “bigotry” as to why people shouldnt be forced into public displays and revelation of their own personal beliefs. Even if it seems the obvious common sense thing to support. Forcing that out of someone is equally as discriminatory, imho. 

I don’t hear many Nux fans assassinating the character of Kuzmenko for his silence.

Same level of respect should be applied across the board, beloved pro hockey player or average citizen. 

Canucks’ Andrei Kuzmenko skips warm-up over Pride jersey

Canadian PressMarch 31, 2023, 3:16 PM

Vancouver Canucks forward Andrei Kuzmenko is the latest NHL player to get embroiled in the league’s Pride jersey controversy.

The Russian winger skipped warm-ups ahead of the Canucks’ annual Pride game against the Calgary Flames on Friday. His teammates took to the ice wearing a themed jersey celebrating the LGBTQ community.

Speaking through a translator — teammate Vitali Kravtsov — Kuzmenko declined to explain the decision after Vancouver lost 5-4 in overtime.

“He respects everybody and everybody’s choices,” said Kravtsov, who was a healthy scratch for the game. “And he asks can you respect his choice, too, and his family.”

Coach Rick Tocchet said earlier in the day that Kuzmenko decided not to wear the special uniform following discussions with his family.

“I’m not going to get into it because we don’t know the deals that happen over there. So I respect his decision,” Tocchet said.

Kuzmenko, 27, has become a fan favourite in his first NHL season due to his wide smile and outgoing personality.

He has 37 goals and 31 assists in 73 games, and leads the Canucks in goals.

Designed by local artist Christin Hryc, the jerseys featured a rainbow, flowers and butterflies across the Canucks’ orca logo. The shoulders included rainbow patches on the shoulders and, on the back, the words “You Can Play” replaced each player’s last name.

Several players publicly committed to wearing the uniforms ahead of Friday’s game.

“I think everyone in this room is looking forward to it,” defenceman Quinn Hughes said Wednesday. “And I know in our organization, everyone’s welcome.

“Every time we’ve done Pride night, I’ve worn the jersey and celebrated the night.”

Star centre Elias Pettersson said Friday that he, too, is in support of the annual event.

“I think it’s important to show that everyone is welcome here,” he said. “And I’ll wear the jersey tonight.”

Vancouver has a number of other initiatives planned for Friday, including a pre-game drag show outside Rogers Arena and in-game performances. A $20,000 donation is also being made to QMUNITY, a Vancouver non-profit that supports LGBTQ people and their allies.

Kuzmenko joins a handful of NHL players who’ve declined to wear Pride jerseys this season, including Philadelphia Flyers defenceman Ivan Provorov, San Jose Sharks goalie James Reimer, Eric and Marc Staal of the Florida Panthers, and Buffalo Sabres blue liner Ilya Lyubushkin.

Whether a player wears the themed jersey comes down to individual rights, new NHLPA executive director Marty Walsh said in Toronto on Thursday.

“The LGBTQ community shouldn’t feel that the NHL hockey players are turning their back on that community. The majority of the players have worn the jersey,” said Walsh, who has been a strong advocate for LGBTQ rights during his political career.

He added the league will likely have more conversations about the issue moving forward.

“But I think it’s really important that as a league and as locker rooms, we’re inclusive and that we support all people’s right to support the game,” Walsh said.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/canucks-andrei-kuzmenko-wont-wear-pride-themed-jersey-in-warmup/sn-amp/

@aGENT - you still want Lyubushkin here after reading this?

Edited by RWJC
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, RWJC said:

if I was a Russian hockey player in NA and knew my family could face real backlash and potential violence if I were to publicly support something here that is vehemently persecuted in Russia, I wouldn’t either. I’d just want my opinion to be kept private, which is my basic right as a human being. 

I don’t care how important the cause is here, and I have the utmost respect for Zadorov for his recent statement, but there are more reasons than just chalking things up to “bigotry” as to why people shouldnt be forced into public displays and revelation of their own personal beliefs. Even if it seems the obvious common sense thing to support. Forcing that out of someone is equally as discriminatory, imho. 

I don’t hear many Nux fans assassinating the character of Kuzmenko for his silence.

Same level of respect should be applied across the board, beloved pro hockey player or average citizen. 

Vancouver Canucks forward Andrei Kuzmenko is the latest NHL player to get embroiled in the league’s Pride jersey controversy.

The Russian winger skipped warm-ups ahead of the Canucks’ annual Pride game against the Calgary Flames on Friday. His teammates took to the ice wearing a themed jersey celebrating the LGBTQ community.

Speaking through a translator — teammate Vitali Kravtsov — Kuzmenko declined to explain the decision after Vancouver lost 5-4 in overtime.

“He respects everybody and everybody’s choices,” said Kravtsov, who was a healthy scratch for the game. “And he asks can you respect his choice, too, and his family.”

Coach Rick Tocchet said earlier in the day that Kuzmenko decided not to wear the special uniform following discussions with his family.

“I’m not going to get into it because we don’t know the deals that happen over there. So I respect his decision,” Tocchet said.

Kuzmenko, 27, has become a fan favourite in his first NHL season due to his wide smile and outgoing personality.

Designed by local artist Christin Hryc, the jerseys featured a rainbow, flowers and butterflies across the Canucks’ orca logo. The shoulders included rainbow patches on the shoulders and, on the back, the words “You Can Play” replaced each player’s last name.

Several players publicly committed to wearing the uniforms ahead of Friday’s game.

“I think everyone in this room is looking forward to it,” defenceman Quinn Hughes said Wednesday. “And I know in our organization, everyone’s welcome.

“Every time we’ve done Pride night, I’ve worn the jersey and celebrated the night.”

Star centre Elias Pettersson said Friday that he, too, is in support of the annual event.

“I think it’s important to show that everyone is welcome here,” he said. “And I’ll wear the jersey tonight.”

Vancouver has a number of other initiatives planned for Friday, including a pre-game drag show outside Rogers Arena and in-game performances. A $20,000 donation is also being made to QMUNITY, a Vancouver non-profit that supports LGBTQ people and their allies.

Kuzmenko joins a handful of NHL players who’ve declined to wear Pride jerseys this season, including Philadelphia Flyers defenceman Ivan Provorov, San Jose Sharks goalie James Reimer, Eric and Marc Staal of the Florida Panthers, and Buffalo Sabres blue liner Ilya Lyubushkin.

Whether a player wears the themed jersey comes down to individual rights, new NHLPA executive director Marty Walsh said in Toronto on Thursday.

“The LGBTQ community shouldn’t feel that the NHL hockey players are turning their back on that community. The majority of the players have worn the jersey,” said Walsh, who has been a strong advocate for LGBTQ rights during his political career.

He added the league will likely have more conversations about the issue moving forward.

“But I think it’s really important that as a league and as locker rooms, we’re inclusive and that we support all people’s right to support the game,” Walsh said.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/canucks-andrei-kuzmenko-wont-wear-pride-themed-jersey-in-warmup/sn-amp/

I don't believe he came out actively refusing to wear the jerseys and stating it was for "religious reasons" (AKA bigotry). I have a hell of a lot more understanding for people fearing persecution to themselves/family members.

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, aGENT said:

I don't believe he came out actively refusing to wear the jerseys and stating it was for "religious reasons" (AKA bigotry). I have a hell of a lot more understanding for people fearing persecution to themselves/family members.

Sabres' Lyubushkin skips Pride night warmup, fearful of retribution in Russian homeland

Players wore rainbow-coloured jerseys before ex-Leafs blue liner took the ice for game.

Ilya Lyubushkin cited an anti-gay Kremlin law and fears of retribution at home in Russia for electing not to participate in the Buffalo Sabres' pregame warmup on the team's Pride night, when players wore jerseys with the team's rainbow-coloured logo on the front in support of the LGBTQ+ community.

The team announced Lyubushkin's decision Monday morning. Lyubushkin is from Moscow, where he has family and visits regularly in the off-season.

The 28-year-old defenceman was Buffalo's only healthy player not to take part in the warmups, before participating in the game. The remaining players took the ice wearing dark blue jerseys with the Sabres logo on the front encircled by a rainbow-coloured outline, the same design as the team used for its social media avatar throughout the day.

A handful of players had their sticks wrapped in Pride tape, and the Sabres warmed up with commemorative pucks, featuring the date and both teams' logos in rainbow colours. As in the Sabres' past two Pride Nights, the Buffalo Gay Men's Chorus sang the American and Canadian national anthems.

"We continue to advocate for under-represented groups in hockey and hope that our Pride Night, like many across the league, sparks meaningful conversations and encourages support for the LGBTQIA+ community," the team said in a statement.

"Our team feels strongly that one way to garner support is through wearing Pride jerseys and using Pride tape in warmups," the team said. Without mentioning Lyubushkin specifically, the Sabres added: "We are are aware of general threats to certain players, and understand their decision to forego risk."

Sabres captain Kyle Okposo, whose father is from Nigeria and faced discrimination for being Black upon immigrating to Minnesota, defended his teammate while citing the importance of celebrating a Pride night.

"We support 'Boosh' [Lyubushkin] in this room, and we want to make sure that he's comfortable and we respect his decisions," Okposo said.

"I have empathy for my teammate, for Boosh in the situation he's in, but think about it: If there's a closeted gay member of a team, and you have to have empathy for that person, too, in that situation," he said. "We have to realize that and that's part of being accepting, and that's why we want to be accepting."

Pride nights in the spotlight

Okposo also reiterated what he told The Associated Press last week when he said he's sensitive to Russian players' concerns because "we're frankly not capable of understanding, because we haven't been there."

It has not just been Russian players opting out of warmups that have put Pride nights around the NHL in the spotlight in recent months.

Ivan Provorov of the Philadelphia Flyers, James Reimer of the San Jose Sharks and brothers Eric and Marc Staal of the Florida Panthers all refused to take part in warmups with Pride-themed jerseys, citing religious beliefs, while the New York Rangers, Minnesota Wild and Chicago opted not to have players wear them.

Chicago, like Lyubushkin, cited a law passed last year in Russia that expanded the restrictions on supporting LGBTQ+ rights in the country as its reasoning.

The Panthers, whose star goaltender, Sergei Bobrovsky, is Russian, went forward with plans to wear Pride-themed jerseys on Thursday night before their home game against Toronto. Bobrovsky took part.

Sabres head coach Don Granato said he left the discussion and decision to his players on how to handle Pride night.

"It was nice for our group to really take an event like this and have a lot of meaningful conversations, even leading up to it based on what's going around the world — around the U.S. and around the world — and actually have talks [about] more than hockey," Granato said. "I think the authenticity of our group has been really a silver-lining positive of the event that we're excited to have tonight."

Okposo said what he found important was Sabres players were engaging in discussions on a sensitive topic.

"I think that is something that as a society as a whole, we're still grappling with, and as a hockey community, we're still grappling with as well," Okposo said. "But we're getting better. And we are going to continue to have these conversations and continue to get better. But it's extremely important to have this night tonight."

John Wawrow - The Associated Press 

Posted: March 27, 2023  
Last Updated: March 27, 2023

https://www.cbc.ca/amp/1.6792152

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Swizzey said:

I have given a compelling explanation to why gays could be underrepresented in hockey. You never gave me your outlook on why this is the case. Please unpack why you think gays are underrepresented in hockey. 

The floor is yours. 

Your "compelling explanation" that gay men don't play pro level hockey is because they are more disposed to more feminine pursuits. That is the entirety of your argument? That, and there are more male bricklayers and female nurses?

Your entire argument hinges on gross stereotype.

It has been explained on more than one occasion about how gay men are treated within the sport and you still can't understand why they either remain in the closet or are driven from the game. They are underrepresented because homophobic bigots like you believe they don't belong. 

And that's probably about the best I can say without wandering into bannable language.

• Cheers 1

50 minutes ago, RWJC said:

Brian Burke was on the Agent Provocateur podcast and both he and player agent Allan Walsh pointed out that because 5 or 6 players didn’t want to wear the jersey the other 740 who happily supported the event could no longer do so. He also said he had some sympathy for the Russian safety argument even though he had seen no evidence of danger. He had no time at all for the religious argument.

He didn’t agree with the NHL’s decision on pride jerseys and was disappointed but understood it. He said the pride tape edict was spiteful, like someone popping the balloons when leaving a party. It has since been reported that he said he would pay any fines by the league for a player using the tape but I couldn’t find anything directly from him on it.

His comments start around the 5 minute mark for anyone interested.

• Cheers 4

32 minutes ago, StrayDog said:

Your "compelling explanation" that gay men don't play pro level hockey is because they are more disposed to more feminine pursuits. That is the entirety of your argument? That, and there are more male bricklayers and female nurses?

Your entire argument hinges on gross stereotype.

It has been explained on more than one occasion about how gay men are treated within the sport and you still can't understand why they either remain in the closet or are driven from the game. They are underrepresented because homophobic bigots like you believe they don't belong. 

And that's probably about the best I can say without wandering into bannable language.

I don’t believe they don’t belong at all. I believe they choose to thrive in other professions.

In other words, you believe that gays are underrepresented in hockey due to external factors and I believe that they are underrepresented in hockey due to internal factors. 

Edited by Swizzey
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, Swizzey said:

I don’t believe they don’t belong at all. I believe they choose to thrive in other professions.

In other words, you believe that gays are underrepresented in hockey due to external factors and I believe that they are underrepresented in hockey due to internal factors. 

It's wild to me that you may actually believe this down to your core. You've said it so many times now. It's such a disappointing way for a brain to be programmed, but it truely seems to be your reality. Fascinating.

Edited by MeanSeanBean
  • Cheers 1

35 minutes ago, Swizzey said:

I'm almost afraid to ask why you think there are not so many non-white hockey players....

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

7 minutes ago, MeanSeanBean said:

It's wild to me that you may actually believe this down to your core. You've said it so many times now. It's such a disappointing way for a brain to be programmed, but it truely seems to be your reality. Fascinating.

What is fascinating to me is how your brain is programmed to work in absolutes. As previously stated numerous times, I do believe in external factors at play in the underrepresentation of gays in the NHL. However, I don’t believe that the external factors are the primary reason for it. You on the other hand, disregard with disgust any suggestion that internal motivation is at play in the underrepresentation. 

What also fascinates me is the frothing at the mouth hatred and hailing insults to an observation about the underrepresentation from the group that falsely claims “inclusion”, “equality” and “acceptance”. It is an oxymoron.