[Article] Canucks will ‘follow the league rules’ on Pride Tape and specialty jerseys

RWJC

1 minute ago, madrigal77 said:

It doesn't and it's really not that hard to comprehend.

No one said that.

It does. It's not really hard to comprehend... Why is it do you suppose that they don't like supporting "rainbow themes" for "the gays".

• Cheers 2

1 minute ago, madrigal77 said:

It doesn't and it's really not that hard to comprehend.

No one said that.

mmm, kinda. You're suggesting the because abrahamic religions may have used that symbol from time to time it would be a legit reason to not support the use of it in hockey. 

FWIW, religious ideas are often bigoted. Your right to believe them is protected in our constitution, but they are still bigoted. 

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

5 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Pardon me, but when did I "hurl insults" at anyone in this thread?

Pointing out out bigoted actions, statements etc is not "hurling insults" FWIW.

Sorry, that's on me. I'm definitely chucking insults around where they're warranted. No one wants to be called a bigot, especially a bigot.

28 minutes ago, aGENT said:

It does. It's not really hard to comprehend... Why is it do you suppose that they don't like supporting "rainbow themes" for "the gays".

You have reading comprehension problems? I already told you because they may see it as a religious symbol that they don't want to wear for other reasons.

• Confused 1

7 minutes ago, madrigal77 said:

You have reading comprehension problems? I already told you because they may see it as a religious symbol that they don't want to wear for other reasons.

Which symbolism might that be?

Hope, peace, promise, new beginnings, wealth, magic, art, literature, light after storm, divine promise from God to Noah not to flood the world again, or peace and social change.

Care to speculate which would cause someone to not want to wear it?

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, StrayDog said:

Ok, let's play the stereotype game. So around 50 straight white male tradesman; says he has native and gay friends and that makes him not racist/ homophobic. Made a point of mentioning his team so still plays some form or organized beer league sport. Canucks fan.

So a poorly read and undereducated person who peaked sportswise in high school (aka Al Bundy Syndrome). Believes his gay and native friends are totally on board with his crass jokes at their expense (because they're "the good ones") as long as they don't make straight white jokes. Will riot if things don't go his way, and really thinks women don't belong in the workplace but will say otherwise or his wife will cut him off. Not an American but still thinks Trump has a lot of really good ideas.

Did I do it right? 

Too much. I have my way, it works, I am a good fair person. You be you, I'll be me.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MeanSeanBean said:

The right way? In this case it's down playing the effects that a inherent homophobic culture has on young people wanting to get into organized sports. The entire reason why this is a conversation we have to be having in the first place. I sure as shit hope that wouldn't fall under your code of stereotyping ethics... 

Whatever. I don't see it as black and white as you and others. I use stereotyping and profiling to help make some of my decisions, sometimes, and not all of them, and will never change that. I don't get to caught up on what some people feel is the new "right" way. Just because there is a new "right" way of thinking doesn't make it correct. 

• Confused 1
  • Vintage 1

55 minutes ago, Rekker said:

Whatever. I don't see it as black and white as you and others. I use stereotyping and profiling to help make some of my decisions, sometimes, and not all of them, and will never change that. I don't get to caught up on what some people feel is the new "right" way. Just because there is a new "right" way of thinking doesn't make it correct. 

When it comes to inclusion in organized sports and having marginalized groups feel welcome and safe joining those activities, there is a right and a wrong way of thinking actually. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

58 minutes ago, Rekker said:

From your posts over the years you  strike me the kind of person that would be open to new information. If someone could show you how necessary pride is for the NHL would that help? Brian Burke is a good place to start.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, aGENT said:

By actively, vocally refusing to support inclusion of a group of people for simply being who they are...

Again, they are refusing to wear a rainbow jersey. It's not bigoted to not wear a damn hockey jersey 🤣.

Are you daft or something? I already explained to you that they might view it as a religious symbol that they don't want to wear in meaning of something else. There's absolutely nothing bigoted about that. Or are you saying that the rainbow can ONLY mean gay and must be celebrated by all as such? Even though it's been a sacred symbol across many cultures and religions for thousands of years?

Edited by madrigal77
  • Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, madrigal77 said:

Again, they are refusing to wear a rainbow jersey. It's not bigoted to not wear a damn hockey jersey 🤣

So if you support someone’s right not to wear the jersey I can assume you support the right to wear the rainbow jersey for the other 740 players that want to wear it.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 2

1 minute ago, 4petesake said:

So if you support someone’s right not to wear the jersey I can assume you support the right to wear the rainbow jersey for the other 740 players that want to wear it.

No because the NHL has said no special jerseys of any kind. That's the rules. It keeps everything inclusive for everyone.

• Cheers 1

None of this would've been an issue if everyone celebrated the 740 players that wore the jersey.  

No, instead a few loud obnoxious people had to single out 2 or 3 players and make the entire thing about them and why they're not wearing the jersey.  

Now this is what we get because the league didn't want any bad publicity that came from last year.  

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1
  • ThereItIs 1