[Article] Canucks will ‘follow the league rules’ on Pride Tape and specialty jerseys

RWJC

3 minutes ago, AatuD2 said:

None of this would've been an issue if everyone celebrated the 740 players that wore the jersey.  

No, instead a few loud obnoxious people had to single out 2 or 3 players and make the entire thing about them and why they're not wearing the jersey.  

Now this is what we get because the league didn't want any bad publicity that came from last year.  

This is the effect of our lazy media.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, madrigal77 said:

Why do they have to give a reason? They don't want to, that's why. 

But why not give a reason?

Imagine for a minute that someone refused to wear a Diwali jersey. Or a hockey fights cancer jersey. You would think that person was a moron. 

• Confused 1
  • Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

Which is stupid. We have to cancel Diwali because some bigots cant handle a pride jersey.

We have to cancel Diwali because some rabid, foaming at the mouth rainbow cultists couldn't handle that a few players didn't want to wear a jersey and singled them out and picked on them. As someone just stated, if they had just ignored them, nothing would have been canceled.

• Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, Rekker said:

I appreciate your posts BobL. I have my way, and probably honest to a fault, so I don't write words on here that I don't live by. Always open to new info to grow as a person. However, I do not agree with sports and interest groups combined during my time enjoying my sport. Just me. I have gay friends, gay teammates that I get well with and have always defended their right to choose your own way, whichever it may be.  Even if I agreed with the combination of sports and this particular issue, then I need to accept all other issues as part of my sports, and I don't want that. I want none of them there.  I want to turn on my game and watch the play. Exceptions to me would be recognizing recent tragedies, and loss of life, and Remembrance Day. 

Old school, I get it.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, madrigal77 said:

We have to cancel Diwali because some rabid, foaming at the mouth rainbow cultists couldn't handle that a few players didn't want to wear a jersey and singled them out and picked on them. As someone just stated, if they had just ignored them, nothing would have been canceled.

It’s the marginalized LBGQ peoples’ fault? Seriously? IMHAO the league gave in to a small group of bigots. 

• Upvote 1
  • ThereItIs 1

20 minutes ago, MeanSeanBean said:

When it comes to inclusion in organized sports and having marginalized groups feel welcome and safe joining those activities, there is a right and a wrong way of thinking actually. 

What the hell have I ever said about inclusion or non inclusion? What the hell have I ever said about not wanting anybody feeling welcome to play a sport, at any level? Your all over the place, but nowhere. Pick a battle and stick to it. Pick your opponents wisely and choose the ones that are making the most damage. I said I use stereotyping to some degree to make some decisions, and now you have me not in favour of inclusion of sports for everyone?! F off, you don't even know me and what I do to help people feel welcome. Get off your ffnn high horse already and go preach on a sidewalk somewhere. 

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

See that language you use hurts people.

And it's just not true . It was the reaction of folks like you that scares the NHL. 

But light syndrome.

Brian Burke gave the idiotic Bud light protests and the anti-lgbtq+ groups that were vandalizing rainbow themed displays in Target and other stores as the primary reasons for the NHL cancelling themed events - and Brian is a strong Bettman supporter. 

But yeah let’s blame a few ‘rabid foaming at the mouth rainbow cultists.’

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

28 minutes ago, Rekker said:

What the hell have I ever said about inclusion or non inclusion? What the hell have I ever said about not wanting anybody feeling welcome to play a sport, at any level? Your all over the place, but nowhere. Pick a battle and stick to it. Pick your opponents wisely and choose the ones that are making the most damage. I said I use stereotyping to some degree to make some decisions, and now you have me not in favour of inclusion of sports for everyone?! F off, you don't even know me and what I do to help people feel welcome. Get off your ffnn high horse already and go preach on a sidewalk somewhere. 

Quote frankly. If my statement caused that type of reaction from you, maybe it's time to look inward. That's litterally what this entire conversation we are having here is about. Why are you even here if that's not what we're talking about, just to tell everyone you think using stereotypes is A OK?

Edited by MeanSeanBean
  • Confused 1

15 minutes ago, 4petesake said:

Brian Burke gave the idiotic Bud light protests and the anti-lgbtq+ groups that were vandalizing rainbow themed displays in Target and other stores as the primary reasons for the NHL cancelling themed events - and Brian is a strong Bettman supporter. 

But yeah let’s blame a few ‘rabid foaming at the mouth rainbow cultists.’ 

I want Dylan Mulvaney to drop a puck at Rogers just to see heads explode.

• Haha 2
  • ThereItIs 1

7 minutes ago, MeanSeanBean said:

Why the hell do you insert yourself into a conversation, pick a side, and get all upiddy when statements you make are applied to said conversation.

You quoted me, therefore making assumptions on how I carry on with my business. I have done just fine in life sticking up for the weak, the outnumbered, the victims, long before all these woke crap and these soapbox preachers came along. I will listen, but when I've had enough and it's starts feeling like someone is pushing an agenda down my throat, I will push back.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

32 minutes ago, madrigal77 said:

We have to cancel Diwali because some rabid, foaming at the mouth rainbow cultists couldn't handle that a few players didn't want to wear a jersey and

You do realize how that wording can make you look?

Again, our public discourse in the last few years has been polluted by right wing reactionists, i'd be cautious about the media you're consuming about these initiatives.

singled them out and picked on them. As someone just stated, if they had just ignored them, nothing would have been canceled.

I do agree the media should have focused on the hundreds of other players who wore the jerseys instead. That is their fault.

Do you agree with the decision to ban the pride tape? Again, you championed individual expression when it came to not wearing the jersey, how about taking away the player's individual choice of expression here? 

On the note of being singled and picked out, none of the players in question lost anything in earnings/games played or suffered any negative repercussions in their career. Why are you making a big deal out of this? People have expressed disappointment in those player's choices but no one's done anything as severe as say....death threats for losing a playoff series. that Reimer himself has suffered in his career. Compared to being picked on from Pride that's probably nothing.

I don't recall Kuzmenko getting any singling out or harassed from this either.

53 minutes ago, madrigal77 said:

Again, they are refusing to wear a rainbow jersey. It's not bigoted to not wear a damn hockey jersey 🤣.

Are you daft or something? I already explained to you that they might view it as a religious symbol that they don't want to wear in meaning of something else. There's absolutely nothing bigoted about that. Or are you saying that the rainbow can ONLY mean gay and must be celebrated by all as such? Even though it's been a sacred symbol across many cultures and religions for thousands of years?

I'm saying that actively refusing to wearr a Pride jersey, who's entire purpose is to promote inclusivity in hockey for LGBTQ+ people, based on "religious" reasons (bigotry), is bigotry (or at best, condoning of bigotry).

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, AatuD2 said:

None of this would've been an issue if everyone celebrated the 740 players that wore the jersey.  

No, instead a few loud obnoxious people had to single out 2 or 3 players and make the entire thing about them and why they're not wearing the jersey.  

Now this is what we get because the league didn't want any bad publicity that came from last year.  

You're right, Rosa Parks should have just given up her seat because it annoyed some people.

• Confused 2
  • Cheers 1

38 minutes ago, Rekker said:

You quoted me, therefore making assumptions on how I carry on with my business. I have done just fine in life sticking up for the weak, the outnumbered, the victims, long before all these woke crap and these soapbox preachers came along. I will listen, but when I've had enough and it's starts feeling like someone is pushing an agenda down my throat, I will push back.

I think we're having two different conversations because I have zero idea where this is coming from.

1 hour ago, Rekker said:

I appreciate your posts BobL. I have my way, and probably honest to a fault, so I don't write words on here that I don't live by. Always open to new info to grow as a person. However, I do not agree with sports and interest groups combined during my time enjoying my sport. Just me. I have gay friends, gay teammates that I get well with and have always defended their right to choose their own way, whichever it may be.  Even if I agreed with the combination of sports and this particular issue, then I need to accept all other issues as part of my sports, and I don't want that. I want none of them there.  I want to turn on my game and watch the play. Exceptions to me would be recognizing recent tragedies, and loss of life, and Remembrance Day. 

Politics and sports have bee intertwined since the Gladiators. Probably even more so in the last ~100 years with numerous human rights issues at the forefront of public discourse. What you personally might prefer didn't particularly factor in then, it still doesn't now.

And as I've stated earlier in this thread, there has and continues to be numerous marginalized groups that would LOVE to just be able to play or watch a game like you want, but can't simply because of who they are. That's kind of what this is about.

• Confused 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Bob Long said:

Which is stupid. We have to cancel Diwali because some bigots cant handle a pride jersey.

Diwali has not been canceled. None of the themed nights have been canceled this season. The events, guests, and support on those nights remains.

We as people can choose to be supportive and positive or we can continue to dwell on or reduce the importance of these events to stick tape and jerseys. Kind of insulting really.

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Nobody did what?

Refused to support inclusion by stepping aside while everyone else went along with it.

Removing tape and jerseys is not refusing to support a cause. Do I agree with the league's handling of it? Personally no, but I don't see it destroying these events and what they stand for. I understand a lot of people can't get past that. I respect that being many people's thoughts on the matter.

• Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, Mike Vanderhoek said:

Refused to support inclusion by stepping aside while everyone else went along with it.

Removing tape and jerseys is not refusing to support a cause. Do I agree with the league's handling of it? Personally no, but I don't see it destroying these events and what they stand for. I understand a lot of people can't get past that. I respect that being many people's thoughts on the matter.

The league didn't refuse to wear the jerseys for "religious reasons". 

I never said removing the tape and jerseys was refusing to support the cause. I'm not sure what argument you're having, but it's not with anything I've posted Mike.

7 hours ago, JeremyCuddles said:

And what, they don't deserve to be respected and accepted cause they're a smaller community? And why do you think it is a small community? Almost like a lot of them don't come out publicly because of the hate and evil they face. Not helped by the fact these billion dollar companies are being bullied by small minded bigots into not supporting their cause.

Everyone deserves the right to exist and be themselves. Whether there's 4 billion of you or 400 of you. They aren't hurting nobody, I know what Fox news is telling you, but they're not coming after your kids either. Y'all really be terrified of the Pride Flag and it's funny to me and it's exactly why we shouldn't be banning it. People have been programmed to be afraid of gay people and trans people to the point the literal pride flag has y'all shaking and terrified.

wow hahah did I say any of that? calm down dude. it was in response to the post about a small percentage of people making it an issue all I was saying is it doesnt take many to make a change. calm the Fuck down.

edit: also nobody has been programed to be afraid of gay people what kind of drugs are you on?

Edited by Surtur
  • Thanks 1