[Article] Canucks will ‘follow the league rules’ on Pride Tape and specialty jerseys

RWJC

On 10/17/2023 at 7:17 AM, 4petesake said:

I completely understand people who don’t want these issues mixed with sports, like ‘the good old days.’ A couple of problems with that thinking though - what seemed like good old days to one were not good old days for others. Change never comes easy.  When LeBron James made comments about social injustice and police violence against poc Laura Ingraham infamously told him to “shut up and dribble.” That’s effectively what we are saying when we say we don’t want other issues mixed with sports.

Another is the idea that Provorov/Reimer/Staal et al have the right to make a statement by not wearing a jersey (they certainly do) but others have no right to respond (nonsense).

The whole "let's not mix sports with politics" feels a bit contradictory to me and seems to only be a talking point when it's politics they don't agree with.

It reminds me when Conservatives would say "celebrities should stay out of politics" but would go full fangirl/fanboy once Clint Eastwood was at the RNC in 2012 or when Trump ran for president.

problem with people not wanting politics in sports is that they want it both ways. They don't want politics like supporting the LGBTQ+ commuiity (which I do not think it's political mind you) but somehow go nostalgic and celebrate stuff like the 1981 Miracle on Ice (which had more political implications than Pride Night) or supporting sports during the Olympics has always had a strong political component tied to it( I mean countries weren't / aren't bidding for the Olympics because they want to be hospitable hosts right?). And let's not forget how the Stanley Cup champions always visit the White House for a photo op with the President.

Edited by iinatcc
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, iinatcc said:

The whole "let's not mix sports with politics" feels a bit contradictory to me and seems to only be a talking point when it's politics they don't agree with.

It reminds me when Conservatives would say "celebrities should stay out of politics" but would go full fangirl/fanboy once Clint Eastwood was at the RNC in 2012 or when Trump ran for president.

problem with people not wanting politics in sports is that they want it both ways. They don't want politics like supporting the LGBTQ+ commuiity (which I do not think it's political mind you) but somehow go nostalgic and celebrate stuff like the 1981 Miracle on Ice (which had more political implications than Pride Night) or supporting sports during the Olympics has always had a strong political component tied to it( I mean countries weren't / aren't bidding for the Olympics because they want to be hospitable hosts right?). And let's not forget how the Stanley Cup champions always visit the White House for a photo op with the President.

When things are as polarized as they are in current times it just becomes a frustrating distraction to a lot of people who are watching sports as a way to tune out from all of the society chaos. 

I personally have no feeling on LGBTQ stuff being mixed with sports. If there’s jerseys, or tape. No different to me than Chinese new year night, or raise the banner night. Honestly it’s mostly just annoying because I have to wait four minutes longer for the puck to drop. 

What’s annoying however is how this polarizing issue gets mixed into sports and then it becomes this big public discord and is hard to stay out of the way of the arguments. So it tends to bring frustration to something that’s in theory supposed to bring stress relief (maybe not for Canucks fans). 

Personally I am not emotionally tied to any of these things and think people should live, celebrate, and do what they want and enjoy.

• Like 1

On 10/18/2023 at 2:25 PM, aGENT said:

They have religious freedom. Freedom to practice their religion without persecution. That freedom doesn't extend to consequences for bigoted actions and words in the name of said religion though.

The earth is full of biased people to all races and religions, depending on where you are. Here in Canada, everyone feels the brunt. Christian churches get burned, gay people are attacked, Muslims, Jews, etc.

People would be attacked in the NHL if they were forced to wear Muslim supporting uniforms, or Christian ones etc. but those long-standing religions do not have their own tape or months etc. 

Imagine the league reaction if there were crosses on uniforms in pregame or on tape during games. The would be an uproar. Just let the sport alone. 

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, UncleBen said:

Yes..but you couldn't get into the game though without getting human crap on your shoes 

I was in San Fran 3 weeks ago. It is hard to believe how bad it is there.

I just cannot imagine a city council here letting things get that far out of hand. There were literally rows of cars with windows rolled down and signs saying things like "There is nothing to steal, have a look"

6 minutes ago, 5forFighting said:

The earth is full of biased people to all races and religions, depending on where you are. Here in Canada, everyone feels the brunt. Christian churches get burned, gay people are attacked, Muslims, Jews, etc.

People would be attacked in the NHL if they were forced to wear Muslim supporting uniforms, or Christian ones etc. but those long-standing religions do not have their own tape or months etc. 

Imagine the league reaction if there were crosses on uniforms in pregame or on tape during games. The would be an uproar. Just let the sport alone. 

You're going off on a straw man tangent. I have zero desire to "what-if" religious symbols on jerseys. We're discussing the actual few players who attempted to hide their bigotry behind their "religious freedom" by actively refusing to wear Pride jerseys.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • ThereItIs 1

39 minutes ago, 5forFighting said:

but those long-standing religions do not have their own tape or months etc. 

can't even go 2 weeks without tripping over some religious holiday or day of significance;  I'd say they get their recognition time.

• Cheers 2

On 10/18/2023 at 2:17 PM, 5forFighting said:

Should Christians have their own nights? Muslims? Redheads? Polygamists? Arachnaphobiacs?

When a redhead marrying another redhead is illegal in 65 countries including 7 of those countries imposing the death penalty, or arachnophobics are persuaded to not play organized sports due to the risk of being  mocked, or worse, by those intolerant to those with arachnophobia then I'm sure most of us would be game to have a night to draw attention to that as well. 

And I'm sure another small group of loud mouths will say "HURHUR DUR I DON'T CARE ABOUT NO REDHEADS WHY CAN'T US BRUNETTES HAVE A NIGHT?!"

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

On a side note, Christian chaplains are no longer allowed to pray at ceremonies on Remembrance Day this year. Something they have done every year for fallen soldiers since WW2 ended. 

There is a lot of asinine stuff affecting all walks of life, that's why none of it should be in sports in my opinion. 

We go to those events to forget about the pains. 

7 minutes ago, 5forFighting said:

On a side note, Christian chaplains are no longer allowed to pray at ceremonies on Remembrance Day this year. Something they have done every year for fallen soldiers since WW2 ended. 

Where did you read this? If you have a link I’d like to know more about this.

This is a pretty easy problem to fix.  You simply allow the players to support whoever they want.  Just like what the NFL does, they have cleat night.

NFL My Cause My Cleats | NFL.com

During Week 13, NFL players are wearing customized cleats in honor of the causes they have chosen to support through My Cause My Cleats.

NFL players reveal their passions beyond the game and wear their hearts on their feet through My Cause My Cleats. Players have the opportunity to pick a cause that is important to them and represent their chosen organization on custom designed cleats.

So with the NHL, the players can choose to use pride tape, they can wear pride jerseys in warmups, then can even dress in drag if they want.  Go for it.  Then a guy like Kuzmenko can support another cause.  Boeser can wear his cancer jersey.  Someone else can wear a military jersey, and so on and so forth.  

So, you simply pick a game each month and have the players wear what they want.  That way everybody can participate, and all causes can be supported.

The NHL can still have a theme night if they want to, it's just that wouldn't include forcing players to wear certain jerseys or tape on their sticks.  There is nothing stopping the NHL and the NHL teams from having theme nights.  They can do whatever they want to support the causes.  Forcing players into situations is the issue here.  You take that out of the equation and that fixes the problem so that you can still have a theme night and players can still wear jerseys if they want to...

• Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Bob Long said:

I think I'll believe the defence minister over PP who we know seeks to misinform quite often.

Save your outrage for Nov 11 where you'll find out yet again the CPC is playing with your anger.

Why would you choose to believe either when you can read the directive for yourself?

5 minutes ago, Maninthebox said:

Why would you choose to believe either when you can read the directive for yourself?

because its the defence minister that applies the directive? 

You're being played by the CPC. Keep you angry for a month leading up to Nov 11th instead of focusing on our veterans and their sacrifice. Its why PP is such a bad idea for Canada, he's a rage farmer. 

Oh and I'll give you a little preview of how this plays out. Nothing happens. And PP/CPC say its only because of the "pressure" they applied to the Liberals.

Its rage farming 101. 

Edited by Bob Long
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

11 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

because its the defence minister that applies the directive? 

You're being played by the CPC. Keep you angry for a month leading up to Nov 11th instead of focusing on our veterans and their sacrifice. Its why PP is such a bad idea for Canada, he's a rage farmer. 

Does 'PP' enrage you?

Setting aside your unbased assumption, you can quite literally read the directive above. Chaplains are not being directed to not pray.

16 minutes ago, Maninthebox said:

Does 'PP' enrage you?

no, I find him funny and a bit sad. His rage shtick is aimed at the victimhood conservative mind-set. 

16 minutes ago, Maninthebox said:

Setting aside your unbased assumption, you can quite literally read the directive above. Chaplains are not being directed to not pray.

Yeah, please review how things work. If Blair directs chaplains are OK to do what they want to, thats what happens. 

And the wording doesn't outlaw prayer, thats just stupid and the take that PP wants you to believe. A prayer is a "spiritual reflection" ffs. 

Edited by Bob Long
  • Cheers 1

13 hours ago, 4petesake said:

Where did you read this? If you have a link I’d like to know more about this.

lol The Epoch Times. The Epoch Times is a far-right international multi-language newspaper and media company affiliated with the Falun Gong new religious movement. The newspaper, based in New York City, is part of the Epoch Media Group, which also operates New Tang Dynasty Television. What an absolute banger to reference.

From what I can tell it was a massive over reaction by some in an innovative to reduce the religious aspect of Remembrance day ceremonies being held at churches for the armed forces. Which makes sense, there is a diverse spectrum of people in the Forces and no reason to tailor the ceremonies for one specific group. Seems completely reasonable. Doesn't mean you can't pray, just means general ceremonies won't be expecting those to pray in public who may have different ideals around religion. 

Also, let's take a moment for the irony that sports and politics/religion should be separated..... UNTIL NOW LOOK AT THIS 

• Vintage 3

2 minutes ago, MeanSeanBean said:

lol The Epoch Times. The Epoch Times is a far-right international multi-language newspaper and media company affiliated with the Falun Gong new religious movement. The newspaper, based in New York City, is part of the Epoch Media Group, which also operates New Tang Dynasty Television. What an absolute banger to reference.

From what I can tell it was a massive over reaction by some in an innovative to reduce the religious aspect of Remembrance day ceremonies being held at churches for the armed forces. Which makes sense, there is a diverse spectrum of people in the Forces and no reason to tailor the ceremonies for one specific group. Seems completely reasonable. Doesn't mean you can't pray, just means general ceremonies won't be expecting those to pray in public who may have different ideals around religion. 

Also, let's take a moment for the irony that sports and politics/religion should be separated..... UNTIL NOW LOOK AT THIS 

this is why I can't vote for the CPC. All the directive does is widen out what chaplains can do, it doesn't limit it. But PP spins it as "Trudeau stops remembrance day prayer" like the asshat PP is.

PP's latest rage farming attempt is actually really disrespectful to all the non-Christian veterans that fought for us. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

4 minutes ago, MeanSeanBean said:

Freedom of religion also means freedom from religion.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 2