[Article] Canucks will ‘follow the league rules’ on Pride Tape and specialty jerseys

RWJC

2 minutes ago, 24K said:

Censorship does not only involve speech. It can be prevention of any kind of expression. 

Jerseys I can begrudgingly understand as it is a team thing but banning tape is definitely a censorship of personal expression. 

Again, no, that's not censorship. That's allowing only league sanctioned equipment to be used.

• Confused 1

3 minutes ago, DSVII said:

Swarmed by whom? Because the worst Reimer really experienced was just some trolling by online folks and media. Is that really worth losing Hockey Fights Cancer over? I believe in individual choices, I also believe if you truly have integrity, you are willing to stand by those beliefs regardless of what other says. From my understanding, he didn't even specifically advocate for this outcome. 

You implied that enough with the whole Rainbow worship line, it runs right parallel with the keep politics out of sport and rainbows everywhere crowd that ironically politicize everything to get an outcome they want. I apologize if i misjudged you on this, but it's out there.

Anyways, off to lunch!

There were media reports singling out players and criticizing them. Online mobs attacking them. One reporter even calling for contracts to be terminated (like that can be done for not wearing a practice jersey) and million dollar fines. It wasn't just Reimer, it was multiple players including Kuzemenko and it was a circus and a distraction.

12 minutes ago, madrigal77 said:

Again, no, that's not censorship. That's allowing only league sanctioned equipment to be used.

We are just gonna go in circles at this point. Agree to disagree our definition of censorship is different. 

Edited by 24K
  • Cheers 1

Hey lets start having this much passion about how our senior citizens living on the pension/fixed and indexed pensions have been totally shuttled off to the side.

If a senior on a fixed income has teeth problems they cannot get any work done. Under an emergency they will pull them out only if they can pull out more than 5 teeth.

The most cost effective substitute for teeth is the 4 on dentures not the old style suction ones. They last decades but suction need replacing every 5 years at over $5000.00 per. With no dental insurance on a fixed income.

Over the last 5 years dental prices have more than doubled even though the parts have not, nor the tie needed which has gone down. Over $56,000.00 for false teeth.

Hey lets jump on this band wagon, teeth are incredibly necessary for health. There are WAAAaayy more seniors needing help than tape on a stick by one or two players.

Seniors get nothing, not even attention. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

If I were an NHL player that really wanted to shove it in the leagues face, I would be wearing Pride themed attire to the rink each game.

It’s not on-ice, it’s personal attire. It will still be captured by media on the walk ups to the rink (particularly if someone with a lot of influence so it can’t just be swept under the rug). 

• Confused 1
  • Upvote 4

I feel it's better at this point in time to scrap things and just celebrate the day without jerseys.

They could just sell them in online but celebrate the day.

To me makes no difference if they wear jerseys or not,long as the day is celebrated.

That way nobody is left out of the celebration.

17 minutes ago, Salacious Crumb said:

…with rainbow laces and whatever colour tape that makes them happy.

I personally don't care what they wear.

When they're on the ice they represent the team that's paying them and their official uniform. 

4 hours ago, madrigal77 said:

Good on the league and the team. If anyone doesn't want to participate, that shouldn't have to and they don't deserve to be singled out and swarmed by the mob. This makes everything equal for everyone and includes everyone. I don't get the rabid foaming at the mouth for the rainbow like it's a religion or something. You MUST submit to the rainbow, or you're full of "hate". Maybe some players due to religious or personal reasons, are not comfortable participating. That's their right, and it doesn't mean they "hate" anyone.

What if people do want to participate? Should this stop them? Is that equality? Stopping people from doing what they want to do just as much (if not more than) stopping people who don't want to participate?

This isn't about hate. This whole event's about trying to create equality. It's about showing that LGBT people are equal among us, which they 100% should be but clearly isn't.

Edited by The Lock
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

12 minutes ago, The Lock said:

What if people do want to participate? Should this stop them? Is that equality? Stopping people from doing what they want to do just as much (if not more than) stopping people who don't want to participate?

This isn't about hate. This whole event's about trying to create equality. It's about showing that LGBT people are equal among us, which they 100% should be but clearly isn't.

Then they can voluntarily participate in any of the many pride events that take place every year, or make a public statement like McDavid recently did.

They can show them they are equal in other ways, not by forcing players to participate that don't want to. By doing that you're not saying they are 100% equal, you are saying they are 100% better than everyone else. That's not equality. 

2 hours ago, MeanSeanBean said:

Screenshot_20231011-140716.thumb.png.73198cbf21b8fefc38d110a470063a3d.png

This is the NHL rule book. It says tape can be any color. Therefore it actually is censorship.

"for the purpose of reinforcement or to improve control of the puck". As in not to make any kind of statement.

• Confused 1

16 minutes ago, madrigal77 said:

Then they can voluntarily participate in any of the many pride events that take place every year, or make a public statement like McDavid recently did.

They can show them they are equal in other ways, not by forcing players to participate that don't want to. By doing that you're not saying they are 100% equal, you are saying they are 100% better than everyone else. That's not equality. 

Where did I say they're 100% better than everyone else? I didn't. I said 100% equal, which they are not but should be.

So how about we allow for players to show up in a rainbow jersey when they want to show support. If you're against that, how would that make you any different from the media and fans who were against the players who refused?

You strike me as religious. Are you? I bet the church thinks they're 100% better than everyone else when they are against these events.

Edited by The Lock
  • Confused 1

6 hours ago, TheGuardian said:

Are you that self centered? Paranoid?

Clearly one is pushing a life style and the other a life choice.

I also just want a game not a political statement. The game is to leave the world's issues behind for a few hours and find something totally useless and has not real effect on life overall.

Do you spend every hour of every day thinking about this issue? Your clothes are rainbow? Car/bike? Shoes? You have the ability to show that personally to everyone everyday IMO if you are not doing that you are a coward hiding behind some belief that you are entitled to make someone else parade your ideology, thoughts or life style/choice/differences. 

What makes these people so special? Is it because in antiquity they were ostracized and treated very badly, in antiquity. You live in a country that accepted these differences and has bent over backwards to create acceptance. 

Why is it everyone else that isn't following and supporting THIS issue is a bigot or insensitive? Is it really necessary to push these issues to the point of annoyance? 

I will get flamed now.

That's a lot of words I'll completely ignore champ.

Good for you for wasting that much time being so triggered by me pointing out the laughable hypocrisy of the league simultaneously saying no specialty jerseys, marks, symbols or emblems or specialty nights but also slapping advertisements on those same jerseys 

Congratulations you wasted 5 minutes and changed absolutely nothing except your valued opinion of yourself 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, madrigal77 said:

"for the purpose of reinforcement or to improve control of the puck". As in not to make any kind of statement.

right. So, censorship? rainbow tape would help improve control of the puck, but it not being allowed would be because it is a statement. That is literally censorship. 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, The Lock said:

Where did I say they're 100% better than everyone else? I didn't. I said 100% equal, which they are not.

So how about we allow for players to show up in a rainbow jersey when they want to show support. If you're against that, how would that make you any different from the media and fans who were against the players who refused?

You strike me as religious. Are you?

By forcing players to participate in worshiping the all holy rainbow, you are saying they are 100% better than anyone else.

Case in point, no one is absolutely losing it over the loss of Diwali night and demanding the players wear the practice jerseys. So if you're not demanding restoration of all the practice jerseys and equally upset about them all, then yes, you are saying they are better than everyone else.

1 minute ago, madrigal77 said:

By forcing players to participate in worshiping the all holy rainbow, you are saying they are 100% better than anyone else.

Case in point, no one is absolutely losing it over the loss of Diwali night and demanding the players wear the practice jerseys. So if you're not demanding restoration of all the practice jerseys and equally upset about them all, then yes, you are saying they are better than everyone else.

Except in this case, you are forcing players who would want to participate in such an event not to be able to participate since now there's no event. You're welcome to have the delusion that it's saying they are 100% better, mostly because I know I'm not going to convince you otherwise since you clearly think you're 100% better than everyone else here. 😉

What makes Diwali night the same as the rainbow jersey night in order for you to bring up Diwali?

4 hours ago, TheGuardian said:

Hey lets start having this much passion about how our senior citizens living on the pension/fixed and indexed pensions have been totally shuttled off to the side.

If a senior on a fixed income has teeth problems they cannot get any work done. Under an emergency they will pull them out only if they can pull out more than 5 teeth.

The most cost effective substitute for teeth is the 4 on dentures not the old style suction ones. They last decades but suction need replacing every 5 years at over $5000.00 per. With no dental insurance on a fixed income.

Over the last 5 years dental prices have more than doubled even though the parts have not, nor the tie needed which has gone down. Over $56,000.00 for false teeth.

Hey lets jump on this band wagon, teeth are incredibly necessary for health. There are WAAAaayy more seniors needing help than tape on a stick by one or two players.

Senior citizens over the age of 66 are the most likely to get cancer. Hockey Fights cancer warm up is also being banned under this new rule. It is affecting seniors also

4 hours ago, TheGuardian said:

I got you bro.

Hockey fights Gum Disease for Seniors Night, get after it Canucks.

IMG_9688.jpeg

• Haha 1