[Article] Canucks will ‘follow the league rules’ on Pride Tape and specialty jerseys

RWJC

22 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

meh people can celebrate whatever they want without the need to wear "special" clothing anyways.. i don't mind them do away with the "special" jersey. if you wear a jersey does that make you a supporter even if you secretly against them? if you don't wear a jersey does that automatically make you a hater? 

I’ve said it since that idiocy began.finally someone gets it.no room for woke in hockey

17 hours ago, Strawbone said:

I don't know if it was a team decision, or a personal one. I'm fine with making the jerseys and tape optional, but the players who choose not to wear them should honestly explain why they made that choice. As others have said though, hiding behind "that's just my religious belief" isn't good enough. Saying "I think homosexuality is a deviant life choice" would at least be honest, and something that could be discussed. There's plenty of evidence that it's often not a "choice" at all, but a fundamental part of what a person is. If we can agree on that, the topic I think becomes much less controversial.

Ya, again, I see where you are coming from, but I am just not sure that I would find that all that easy to explain when you have 40 mic's in front of you, bright lights, and all the rest.  Just trying to imagine myself in that situation and I know that when I am put on the spot sometimes in life I often never produce the answers I wish I had.  I can see it when you are having a beer or coffee with a friend who is asking you that question because it can be a discussion as you say.  But in front of a ton of reporters I am just not sure how much room for discussion there would be.  i.e. I think its more of a behind closed doors type of thing.  

10 hours ago, Paddymeboy said:

I’ve said it since that idiocy began.finally someone gets it.no room for woke in hockey

You're right. We need to remove all the woke in hockey. So let's see... where to start... Well we got all them non-white players, they need to go (they's all uppity anyway). And the immigrants, alla them coming here and taking jobs away! How can that poor (straight white) Canadian or (straight white) American kid get into the league with all them Czechs and Russians and Finns coming and taking that wing position from them!? Hmmm what else? Oh yeah! All them non-Christians! It's pretty woke to make me think they might be valid in any way.... Obviously the gays can't be here.. And women! Women should be in the kitchen fixin' me a sammich! Not goin' out to games; hockey is for men! Straight, white, Christian men! Anything else is WOKE!!!

Edit: In case it escaped you, the above is mocking anti-woke statements. Carry on.

Edited by StrayDog
  • Haha 4

9 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

Thanks Gurn. Great news. 

Its been funny watching the freedom folk pivot to support banning something that was a personal choice. 

Now if we can just hold the media accountable for how they cover pride issues we can get somewhere.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Gurn said:

As posted in the other thread.

NHL-  back that train up- things have changed

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/autos/news/national-hockey-league-lifts-ban-on-pride-tape-a-step-towards-lgbtq-inclusion/ar-AA1i5X3n?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=3d61801c25b34567af49a1c767f97275&ei=35

"n a significant development, the National Hockey League (NHL) has lifted its ban on the use of pride tape on hockey sticks, paving the way for players to freely show their support for the LGBTQ+ community. This decision, seen as a testament to the league’s commitment to inclusivity, comes after deliberations between NHL officials and advocates from the LGBTQ+ community.

The ban on pride tape was initially imposed in 2019, citing concerns that the colorful tape could create distractions on the ice. This move sparked controversy and was criticized by several figures within the league, including former NHL executive and LGBTQ+ advocate Patrick Burke. Burke, who is also the founder of the You Can Play Project, commented that the decision was a setback and a betrayal of the league’s commitment to diversity and inclusion. Similarly, Bruins captain Brad Marchand expressed his disappointment, advocating for the players’ right to support causes they believe in without backlash

The lifting of the ban, however, seems to herald a new era of inclusivity in the NHL. The league has now acknowledged the importance of fostering an inclusive and diverse environment in professional hockey. The decision aligns with a broader trend in the sports world to promote equality and create safe spaces for all athletes, regardless of their sexual orientation or gender identity.

Many players have welcomed the decision, expressing their excitement and intention to use the pride tape in upcoming games. The tape, which features the colors of the rainbow, has been widely embraced and celebrated by players and fans alike as a symbol of support and acceptance for the LGBTQ+ community.

This reversal of the NHL’s stance sends a powerful message of acceptance, highlighting the growing recognition of LGBTQ+ rights in sports. It is hoped that this decision will inspire other sports organizations to take similar measures to support LGBTQ+ inclusion.

The lifting of the ban on pride tape represents a significant milestone in the journey towards inclusivity in sports. While the initial ban on pride tape was seen as a step backward, the NHL’s decision to reverse it indicates a positive shift in attitude towards the LGBTQ+ community. This move not only strengthens the bond between the players and their fans but also sets a precedent for other sports organizations to follow.

This was forced on the nhl after open rebellion by players stating they will still have the pride tape on no matter what the nhl policy are. Heck the was report that a team bought a whole box of them a day in two ago in showing of open protest to the policy. 

• Cheers 1

16 minutes ago, 24K said:

This was forced on the nhl after open rebellion by players stating they will still have the pride tape on no matter what the nhl policy are. Heck the was report that a team bought a whole box of them a day in two ago in showing of open protest to the policy. 

Yea, it was a pointless addendum to the jersey ruling that would have been difficult to enforce. And it would have put the league in the position of singling out and potentially punishing its players, defeating the purpose of the jersey rule. 

Now, if those players who wish to use 'pride' tape would do so year round rather than on one dedicated evening only, that might help reduce media driven distraction during the actual event, and add authenticity to their pledge of 'support'.

18 hours ago, The Lock said:

Except in this case, you are forcing players who would want to participate in such an event not to be able to participate since now there's no event. You're welcome to have the delusion that it's saying they are 100% better, mostly because I know I'm not going to convince you otherwise since you clearly think you're 100% better than everyone else here. 😉

What makes Diwali night the same as the rainbow jersey night in order for you to bring up Diwali?

All special jersey nights are banned, but the only one people are frothing at the mouth over is the pride one.

• Cheers 1

11 minutes ago, madrigal77 said:

All special jersey nights are banned, but the only one people are frothing at the mouth over is the pride one.

You literally didn't even answer my question. What makes the Diwali the same as the pride?

35 minutes ago, The Lock said:

You literally didn't even answer my question. What makes the Diwali the same as the pride?

I would actually argue it's not that far off. Hockey has been a very white dominated sport and there is absolutely still racism present (just look at DeAngelo's suspensions). Both are celebrating inclusivity and awareness that helps break barriers. Obviously Diwali is somewhat holiday specific whereas pride is inclusivity as a whole, but they aren't exactly opposing things.

Just now, Diamonds said:

I would actually argue it's not that far off. Hockey has been a very white dominated sport and there is absolutely still racism present (just look at DeAngelo's suspensions). Both are celebrating inclusivity and awareness that helps break barriers. Obviously Diwali is somewhat holiday specific whereas pride is inclusivity as a whole, but they aren't exactly opposing things.

But they aren't the same either. Like you said, it might not be far off, but it's not the same. The other person wants to imply that it's the same thing banning Diwali as it is pride, of which I whole-heartedly disagree. I've disagreed with almost everything he's said so far.

I'm not going to doubt that there's racism involved in both and it sucks that both got banned. In fact, neither of them should have been banned and this whole thing is only going to be a blow to fan outreach.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, madrigal77 said:

This is very clearly a thing that started because of the Pride night issues last season. Yes, every jersey night is now banned. But it's because of Pride Night. It's called thinking critically. There's no upside to banning Military nights and Hockey fights cancer night. But we see how angry people get over Pride flags. Look at the Bud Light controversy. They put a Pride Flag on a beer can and people lost their friggin' minds.

Also given they specifically mentioned banning Pride Flag tape? Come on, you can't seriously believe the majority of this decision isn't fishy and anti-LGBTQ+. I never knew how terrified y'all be of the Pride Flag.

5 hours ago, bishopshodan said:

The media makes a mess. Drama sells. 

I'm on the mainland, wife is taking a course at the New West Justice Institute.

We stopped by one of our old haunts on Davie in Van on Tuesday, The Fountainhead Pub. As I sat there walking down memory lane I thought of the neighbourhood I spent over 20 years in. The wonderful people, in one of the gayest areas in Canada. 

If some of the fear filled folks could just get out and meet these people they would know that they are just that, people. They have had to endure so much and still trooper on, because they have no choice, they were born this way, so they stride forward with Pride. As any strong Canadian should.

My sentence to the ignoramuses of the world is spend a summer in Vancouver's West End and meet part of what makes Canada great. 

one thing I always wonder about with the anti-gay folks is why they are so adamant that these people aren't as deserving to be who they are as anyone else. Anyone who really believes that everyone should be treated equally shouldn't have a problem in this area. 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

one thing I always wonder about with the anti-gay folks is why they are so adamant that these people aren't as deserving to be who they are as anyone else. Anyone who really believes that everyone should be treated equally shouldn't have a problem in this area. 

I wonder if it’s a case of fear of the unknown. Maybe homophobes haven’t spent much or any time with members of that community and therefore base their thoughts on stereotypes and beliefs handed down to them by their families. Admittedly, I wasn’t always supportive of this movement and grew up in a time when homophobia was not only normalized but expected. Since then, I have matured a lot and educated myself. 

This probably applies to all forms of hatred and discrimination. I’ll never be able to relate to racist people because I grew up with people of all kinds of ethnic backgrounds, but mostly south Asian. They’re my friends, neighbours, colleagues etc. Same goes with the LGBTQ+ community.

• Vintage 1

Just now, Snoop Hogg said:

I wonder if it’s a case of fear of the unknown. Maybe homophobes haven’t spent much or any time with members of that community and therefore base their thoughts on stereotypes and beliefs handed down to them by their families. Admittedly, I wasn’t always supportive of this movement and grew up in a time when homophobia was not only normalized but expected. Since then, I have matured a lot and educated myself. 

This probably applies to all forms of hatred and discrimination. I’ll never be able to relate to racist people because I grew up with people of all kinds of ethnic backgrounds, but mostly south Asian. They’re my friends, neighbours, colleagues etc. Same goes with the LGBTQ+ community.

for sure it could be that for some. Religion plays into it as well for others. 

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, Snoop Hogg said:

I always believed those that are homophobic are themselves insecure about their own sexuality. They want the system that would prevent them from acting out on their urges. Hating on the pride community also acts like a self reassurance in their sexual identity that they feels society expects from them. 

Also like Bob Long said another group is just due to being indoctrinated by their religion and spiritual leaders to hate on that community. 

3 hours ago, madrigal77 said:

Incorrect, that's the one that's getting the most publicity because it's the subject of the ban. I work with an organization that focuses on indigenization of the healthcare system and I can assure you there are people upset about no more Orange Shirt nights as well. Fortunately this year was already celebrated by the lack of jerseys showing support for Indigenous people and the support of local Indigenous artists has been a talking point.

21 hours ago, MeanSeanBean said:

right. So, censorship? rainbow tape would help improve control of the puck, but it not being allowed would be because it is a statement. That is literally censorship. 

Also, since your back. You gonna explain your statement?

22 hours ago, madrigal77 said:

"for the purpose of reinforcement or to improve control of the puck". As in not to make any kind of statement.

You ghosted me earlier, I'm really curious to what your definition of censorship is if it's not this.

There's a bit of a theme in these discussions, that implies that something is being "given" to LGBTQ+ people on these nights. No one is being given anything, it's about being proud of the people in your life. 

When this thing is framed as something is being "given" to a group of people, then others seem to think something is being "taken away" from someone else and thats not what this is. 

Edited by Bob Long
  • Vintage 3

On 10/11/2023 at 5:44 PM, MeanSeanBean said:

Senior citizens over the age of 66 are the most likely to get cancer. Hockey Fights cancer warm up is also being banned under this new rule. It is affecting seniors also

That not true. Most die BEFORE they hit 65. Even non smokers. That is why the number of living seniors, 60 - 100 yrs old, comes close to the largest demographic in the country.

Besides grouping a disease, often fatal with the need to prevent disease and promote health by getting teeth repairs is like comparing apples and oranges.

2 hours ago, TheGuardian said:

That not true. Most die BEFORE they hit 65. Even non smokers. That is why the number of living seniors, 60 - 100 yrs old, comes close to the largest demographic in the country.

Besides grouping a disease, often fatal with the need to prevent disease and promote health by getting teeth repairs is like comparing apples and oranges.

Oh jeez, you should email the National Cancer Institute, they have their information wrong. Good thing some random dude on the internet caught that!

https://www.cancer.gov/about-cancer/causes-prevention/risk/age

But I guess you have a point about apples and oranges. It's a shame the NHL never got around to 'Senior Dental Health Awareness Night'. Was only a matter of time to right? Those blasted snowflakes ruined everything!

What do you do personally to spread the word for seniors dental health. With this genuine concern shown on the internet I assume you must really care about this initiative. 

Edited by MeanSeanBean