[Article] Canucks will ‘follow the league rules’ on Pride Tape and specialty jerseys

RWJC

Just now, Swizzey said:

I’m not saying dismiss anything. I’m saying sport shouldn't be the avenue of political and social campaigns for equal rights. The reality is a very large majority of the place we live agree that everyone is an equal person in our society. 

Sport has always been a focal point for equal rights. This isn't new.

The reality is a very vocal minority agrees that some persons aren't equal in our society. It's up to the rest of us to support and advocate for them.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, StrayDog said:

I mean, you're not wrong. Anyone can play hockey. Must be why there are so many openly gay players in the league. How many are there again? What's that? Zero? So sure, they can play as long as they don't discuss anything about their sexuality. We need a zippy name for that, like "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" or maybe "Don't Say Gay". Hey! I think I could be on to something here!

Meanwhile their straight teammates are showing home video of their gang rape to everyone. Yup, absolutely NO ONE is being prohibited from playing hockey.

Perhaps it has less to do with gays not being allowed to play and more to do with gays not embodying the characteristics of what it takes to be  an NHL hockey player. 

I would be surprised if there weren’t amazingly talented professional gay gymnasts and dancers.

1 minute ago, aGENT said:

Sport has always been a focal point for equal rights. This isn't new.

The reality is a very vocal minority agrees that some persons aren't equal in our society. It's up to the rest of us to support and advocate for them.

Sport has never been an avenue for equal rights campaigns and political agendas. This has only evolved as the case this past decade. This is new. 

The majority, who are already the majority, are definitely the vocal ones. 

• Confused 2
  • Cheers 1

15 minutes ago, Swizzey said:

Perhaps it has less to do with gays not being allowed to play and more to do with gays not embodying the characteristics of what it takes to be  an NHL hockey player. 

I would be surprised if there weren’t amazingly talented professional gay gymnasts and dancers.

Wow... Are you serious? 😳  I honestly don't know how to respond to such bigoted nonsense.

15 minutes ago, Swizzey said:

Sport has never been an avenue for equal rights campaigns and political agendas. This has only evolved as the case this past decade. This is new. 

The majority, who are already the majority, are definitely the vocal ones. 

Yes, it has. For DECADES.

https://www.sjuhawknews.com/a-timeline-of-civil-rights-movements-in-sports/

• Upvote 1
  • ThereItIs 1

6 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Wow... Are you serious? 😳  I honestly don't know how to respond to such bigoted nonsense.

Yes, it has. For DECADES.

https://www.sjuhawknews.com/a-timeline-of-civil-rights-movements-in-sports/

Then don’t respond. It is a valid point for the same reason we aren’t perplexed on the data that 99% of brick layers are men or 92% of nurses are women. Over 50% of professional male dancers are gay.

The article above is a great article. It just doesn’t support your stance. It is a timeline of the first African Americans in each respective sport.

• Confused 2
  • Cheers 1

23 minutes ago, Swizzey said:

Then don’t respond. It is a valid point for the same reason we aren’t perplexed on the data that 99% of brick layers are men or 92% of nurses are women. Over 50% of professional male dancers are gay.

The article above is a great article. It just doesn’t support your stance. It is a timeline of the first African Americans in each respective sport.

Yup. African Americans never had to (aren't still) fighting for equal rights... Ok, think we're done here lol

• Upvote 1
  • ThereItIs 1

1 hour ago, Swizzey said:

Please please please tell me the way that gays don't embody the characteristics of what it takes to be an NHL player. That should be truly enlightening.....

Edited by StrayDog
Typo
  • Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, StrayDog said:

Please please please tell me the way that gays don't embody the characteristics of what it takes to be an NFL player. That should be truly enlightening.....

The same reason that bricklayers are 99% male and 92% of nurses are women. Gays are just as talented as straights, their talents seem to gravitate toward different professions where they thrive. For example, over 50% of professional male dancers are gay. 

1 minute ago, Swizzey said:

The same reason that bricklayers are 99% male and 92% of nurses are women. Gays are just as talented as straights, their talents seem to gravitate toward different professions where they thrive. For example, over 50% of professional male dancers are gay. 

Wow. Ok. Um... Their talents don't gravitate towards hockey? Or any other "manly" sport I suppose? Gay men are only good at gymnastics and dance. And maybe fashion I'm guessing? 

Thank you so very much for being a shining example of exactly why Pride events are still needed.

• Vintage 1

5 minutes ago, StrayDog said:

12 minutes ago, Swizzey said:

Wow. Ok. Um... Their talents don't gravitate towards hockey? Or any other "manly" sport I suppose? Gay men are only good at gymnastics and dance. And maybe fashion I'm guessing? 

Thank you so very much for being a shining example of exactly why Pride events are still needed.

Is it really that absurd to suggest that the underrepresentation of gays in hockey could weigh more heavily on the reality that majority of gays gravitate toward more feminine athletic platforms. Not only gravitate, but thrive in those fields. 

Is it really that absurd to suggest that the underrepresentation of gays in hockey could weigh more heavily on the reality that majority of gays gravitate toward more feminine athletic platforms. Not only gravitate, but thrive in those fields. 

It is insanely absur! Not to mention incredibly insulting. The sheer level of ignorance on display is mind-boggling! You have reduced an entire community to the basest stereotype imaginable. Next you'll be saying that they only like show tunes and Streisand. Worse, you are clearly proud of your bigotry!

• Confused 1
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, StrayDog said:

It is insanely absur! Not to mention incredibly insulting. The sheer level of ignorance on display is mind-boggling! You have reduced an entire community to the basest stereotype imaginable. Next you'll be saying that they only like show tunes and Streisand. Worse, you are clearly proud of your bigotry!

I’m not a bigot, and I don’t mean to be insulting. Can you explain to me why less than 1% of brick layers are women and less than 12% of nurses are women?

And why aren’t you fighting for those inequalities? Do you not care about women bricklayers? Do you not care about male nurses? Your double standard and bigotry is unreal. Not only that, you seem proud of it. 

I’m not a bigot, and I don’t mean to be insulting. Can you explain to me why less than 1% of brick layers are women and less than 12% of nurses are women?

And why aren’t you fighting for those inequalities? Do you not care about women bricklayers? Do you not care about male nurses? Your double standard and bigotry is unreal. Not only that, you seem proud of it. 

You are a bigot, and a homophobe, and you are incredibly insulting. I am ashamed for you at your archaic viewpoints of what constitutes a gay man.

Nice attempt at deflection with the bricklaying nurses, though. 

1 minute ago, StrayDog said:

You are a bigot, and a homophobe, and you are incredibly insulting. I am ashamed for you at your archaic viewpoints of what constitutes a gay man.

Nice attempt at deflection with the bricklaying nurses, though. 

I’m genuinely interested on your explanation regarding bricklayers and nurses in relation to how personality and characteristics gravitate people to certain careers. Give me an alternative lens to view that through. 

2 hours ago, aGENT said:

Desperate? For equality? Is disturbing? That's unhinged....ok....thanks for "contributing".

Yes. Desperate. Why are you so desperate? I’m pretty sure you’re frothing at the mouth while posting. Why do you care about “equality” so much that you’re going berserk about it on a hockey forum? Like my sister and uncle are gay but I’m not losing my shit over some hockey player not wanting to wear a rainbow jersey. 

Edited by madrigal77
  • Cheers 3

I’m genuinely interested on your explanation regarding bricklayers and nurses in relation to how personality and characteristics gravitate people to certain careers. Give me an alternative lens to view that through. 

Bigot, you will get nothing from me aside from the disdain you deserve.

2 minutes ago, madrigal77 said:

Yes. Desperate. Why are you so desperate? I’m pretty sure you’re frothing at the mouth while posting. Why do you care about “equality” so much that you’re going berserk about it on a hockey forum?

I think the correct question here is Why do you not care so much for equality?

• Haha 3
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Swizzey said:

it definitely is. This is the same line of reasoning that is used to justify the female wage gap.

For the record. I've seen feminine hockey players. Both male and female. Kick ass on the rink. The underrepresentation is due to the social stigma still associated with coming out. Equating any expression in support of their inclusion as "unwanted political agenda" or the "holy rainbow cult" is a prime example of this and is further proof that this is still needed.

And this isn't about pure equality for me. It's about giving everyone an equal chance being comfortable who they are. That isn't the case right now.

Wearing the jersey and having tape on your stick is as mundane as putting on a seat belt to me. The celebration of having indivdial expression banned because it hurts the "holy rainbow" is what i take issue with. Because that is the slippery slope. What else will we ban next to appease the political crowd? Goalie mask design?

The drive to make lgbt political is driven by one side. And one side only.  And it's the ironic "keep politics out of life" crowd. Like girls who say they hate drama.

Edited by DSVII
  • Cheers 2

29 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

In Hollywood we'd need to have a star player come out of the closet as gay and then lead their team to victory like the Bad News Bears.

Then he could lead the way with the colored tape and stuff.

In real life with adults. No one bats an eye whether a player wears or chooses not to wear a pride, military, hockey fights cancer, senior care, palestinian/israeli civilians, truth and reconciliation jersey and sees them as support for worthwhile causes rather than an unwanted distraction to escape from the rigors of daily life.

And a 10 min delay to the start of a hockey game celebrating these causes isn't framed as an political and existential threat to ones peace of mind.

Edited by DSVII
  • Cheers 1

45 minutes ago, DSVII said:

In real life with adults. No one bats an eye whether a player wears or chooses not to wear a pride, military, hockey fights cancer, senior care, palestinian/israeli civilians, truth and reconciliation jersey and sees them as support for worthwhile causes rather than an unwanted distraction to escape from the rigors of daily life.

And a 10 min delay to the start of a hockey game celebrating these causes isn't framed as an political and existential threat to ones peace of mind.

So no Bad News Bears?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, DSVII said:

it definitely is. This is the same line of reasoning that is used to justify the female wage gap.

For the record. I've seen feminine hockey players. Both male and female. Kick ass on the rink. The underrepresentation is due to the social stigma still associated with coming out. Equating any expression in support of their inclusion as "unwanted political agenda" or the "holy rainbow cult" is a prime example of this and is further proof that this is still needed.

And this isn't about pure equality for me. It's about giving everyone an equal chance being comfortable who they are. That isn't the case right now.

Wearing the jersey and having tape on your stick is as mundane as putting on a seat belt to me. The celebration of having indivdial expression banned because it hurts the "holy rainbow" is what i take issue with. Because that is the slippery slope. What else will we ban next to appease the political crowd? Goalie mask design?

The drive to make lgbt political is driven by one side. And one side only.  And it's the ironic "keep politics out of life" crowd. Like girls who say they hate drama.

Do you watch professional female hockey? If you don’t, your argument is nullified and you are a hypocrite for standing on it. 

On 10/11/2023 at 3:57 AM, IBatch said:

This is ridiculous and also full of hypocrisy.   What a missed opportunity.   Instead of doing away with this, they could instead make it mandatory to support these things, or given each team their chance to make their own choices, and at the very least, had a statement that these things would continue, because of their importance, but in the future anyone who chooses not to participate, don't have too, but no longer will be allowed to post a statement,  on any media platform, and make it clear their support to the LGBTQ community and You can Play, and that any "no comment" would be the response required by any media.  

Personally think anyone who doesn't participate, wouldn't be dressed at all, and that their paycheque's for that game, would be sent to that specific things locally at a grassroots level to whatever that night is dedicated too. 

Make it company policy.   That would have be the correct action.     These guys say "they support them" in their statements, let them show their support with their wallets, it's a win win for everyone.   Show some balls Bettman.  Do the right thing. 

It's totally ok to blasphemy the uniforms with an ugly TD branding, because well that's extra revenue.   Bettman finally got me to a point where I could respect him.   A few years ago saying "over my dead body" when asked about the possibility of selling advertising spaces on uniforms like Europe does.   In response to Adidas branding.    F!cking brutal, point blank lied.   Get covid was tough, but like taxes, these things rarely if ever, get rolled back, and usually grow.  

Like Burke used to do, but has decided not to get into it with bigots anymore, i'd challenge anyone who's a devout Christian, meaning they follow both testaments, to explain how the most inclusive human ever to walk this earth,  Christ, a man that changed the way the world operated, "love thy enemy, like you'd love your family", there is absolutely nothing Christian about this at all.  And it's hypocrisy calling your self Christian, yet not following HIS teachings, not someone else from an old testament book that was talking about how to avoid getting raped by two criminals, locking doors and bribing with goats.    That's a story about being smart, and keeping your family safe ... wow.  

Pretty clear and simple, "Book of John" is considered the simplest and easier of reads, and something even a newbie Christian can digest over a weekend.    The old Testament is full of stories that aside from a history lesson, doesn't really translate well to modern times, other than a lesson.   Don't want liquid gold poured down your throats?  Don't act a certain way.  Other religions have changed their views over time.   The Mormons used to think black people had the "Mark of Cain"  ... they changed that in the 70's because obviously that was a terrible interpretation.  

Not only are some players using this as a platform to spread homophobia and create divisiveness, they are sinning and going against the religion they follow, knowingly or not.  That's how I see it anyways.   Burke is absolutely correct.    We've seen how strict, righteous thinkers in the middle east put folks with a vagina in a a box, and as a second class citizen.  Some won't even let them read it's that bat shit crazy.   Wake the f!ck up people.  1000 years it will take according to "experts" for that region to catch up to the rest of the world as a result.   Little things like making policy firm when it comes to inclusion matters, we no longer live on a planet that can afford not to love "thy enemy".   Vagina's, skin colour, where people put their wieners...it's like kindergarten level in places that we as stockholders in the human race owe them our help, and this sort of thing does make a step in the right direction.   Instead a step backwards. 

Freedom's of course are important.   It's still a workplace, and they have a responsibility to the fanbase, and as a company, to be kind, and not put people in boxes because of their brain chemistry, and DNA.    The thinking, is really no different than judging folks based on the colour of their skin, or physical features.    If this rubbed anyone the wrong way, it's rubbing your own biases.   Know it can be tough changing viewpoints, especially of the parent tapes if the belief systems don't align with inclusiveness.   Personally have seen progress with each generation, still a lot of work to do though.   

Looks like you're a little upset. I didn't read it, just assume by the essay that you're upset. 

5 minutes ago, toochmahgooch said:

StrayDog is a StrayFeminist

Yes, I am a feminist. As in: I believe women deserve the same rights as men. Are you using feminist as an insult? If you're not then maybe I misunderstood the statement. If you are then thanks for crawling out from under your rock and exposing yourself as another bigoted person. It's better to know where the bigots are than letting them hide.

Just now, StrayDog said:

Yes, I am a feminist. As in: I believe women deserve the same rights as men. Are you using feminist as an insult? If you're not then maybe I misunderstood the statement. If you are then thanks for crawling out from under your rock and exposing yourself as another bigoted person. It's better to know where the bigots are than letting them hide.

What women doesnt have the same rights as men? 

Cute. Anyone who disagrees with you is a bigot. That sounds mighty liberal of you. Disagree on a topic, well that person MUST be a bigot.

But, I'm glad a Social Justice Warrior like yourself Is breaking down barriers on a hockey forum. 

• Confused 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1