[Article] Canucks will ‘follow the league rules’ on Pride Tape and specialty jerseys

RWJC

13 hours ago, madrigal77 said:

Yes. Desperate. Why are you so desperate? I’m pretty sure you’re frothing at the mouth while posting. Why do you care about “equality” so much that you’re going berserk about it on a hockey forum? Like my sister and uncle are gay but I’m not losing my shit over some hockey player not wanting to wear a rainbow jersey. 

Nope. Sitting on the couch with my dog, looking out our big picture window at our valley/mountain view, enjoying the delicious lattes I made for my wife and I, after making love to her this morning. I assure you, I'm quite calm and relaxed lol.

I'm certainly not losing my shit. Simply holding people accountable for their actions.

4 hours ago, Plaguez said:

What was bigoted about what he said? Basically you're resorting to the good ole call them a racist or a bigot when you've lost an argument shtick.  It's embarrassing.

Since this site started I'm definitely seeing way more of this crap.  

Asserting that gay men inherently lack the qualities to play hockey is the definition of bigotry FYI.

3 hours ago, D.B Cooper said:

When I was growing up, sports was about sports.  
It was about teamwork and trying your best.  

I bet for you it was. For a lot of people it was, and still is, an uphill battle to feel welcome and accepted. Has been for decades. 

3 hours ago, D.B Cooper said:

It had ZERO to do with people sexuality, race or religion, and it should stay that way. 

Yes, all should be allowed to play, obviously, but you are incorrect saying it’s always been this bs white knight for every cause.  

I think you mean correct. Or did you just miss the entire black athletes being able to play sports that's been happening for the last 80 or so years? Black and white people allowed to sit together at sporting events? Use the same water fountains, bathrooms etc at games? Alli and his conscientious objection to military service? None of that happened? I'm "incorrect" am I?

Edited by aGENT
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Swizzey said:

Do you watch professional female hockey? If you don’t, your argument is nullified and you are a hypocrite for standing on it. 

Yep! I went to the US and Canada women's 2018 Olympic game in Pyeongchang actually, and have been keeping track of the international womens teams since Sochi in 2014. Team Japan has been another soft spot for me since their womens team debut there. The US and Canada women's team show a lot more spark and rivalry than some NHL teams if you ask me.

But my entire line of reasoning isn't nullified by me proving my attendance. You just have no argument. 

Edited by DSVII
  • Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, aGENT said:

I bet for you it was. For a lot of people it was, and still is, an uphill battle to feel welcome and accepted. Has been for decades. 

I’m sure for some it has, and that’s not right.  
I’ve played since the late 80s and have always had POC on our teams.  
We have a couple of gay folks on our shinny team for the last 3 years.  
It’s come a long way, but I’m not going to thank NHL or hockey Canada for that. 
No matter how many jerseys they sell

11 minutes ago, aGENT said:

I think you mean correct. Or did you just miss the entire black athletes being able to play sports that's been happening for the last 80 or so years? Black and white people allowed to sit together at sporting events? Use the same water fountains, bathrooms etc at games? Alli and his conscientious objection to military service? None of that happened? I'm "incorrect" am I?

What did the NHL, MLB,etc… do to help that?  They were supporters of money, not helping any change. 
Same as now, which is why I don’t look to those chumps as my moral compass. 

1 hour ago, Bob Long said:

The answer you are looking for is "stigma". People in our culture are afraid of someone labelling them if they enter a certain field and are thus discouraged to do so. It has nothing to do with innate qualities. 

I'm sure there's a whole host of reasons. Even some fraction of it likely due to men/women, very generally speaking, having slightly different innate qualities that these guys are assuming as the entire reason.

Some of it likely also has to do with the stigma you mention and that as a society we tend to encourage certain behaviors/abilities/tasks to each sex.

And some of it likely has to do with inherently hostile/unwelcoming environments. I can't imagine it's easy to have a period on a job site with just porta potty. Or work with the small percentage of a-holes that are outwardly hostile. Or the cat calls, or subordinates man-splaining their job to them. Doesn't exactly make for a welcoming environment that encourage women to enter those fields. Maybe some of those things are reasons why only X % of brick layers are women.... Hmmm

Edited by aGENT
  • Cheers 2
  • ThereItIs 1

10 minutes ago, aGENT said:

I'm sure there's a whole host of reasons. Even some fraction of it likely due to men/women, very generally speaking, having slightly different innate qualities that these guys are assuming as the entire reason.

this is usually just such a small part of things. Its also by design. Oil rigs e.g. are designed the way they are because some large men are willing to kill/maim themselves for a job. It doesn't have to be designed that way.

10 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Some of it likely also has to do with the stigma you mention and that as a society we tend to encourage certain behaviors/abilities/tasks to each sex.

And some of it likely has to do with inherently hostile/unwelcoming environments. I can't imagine it's easy to have a period on a job site with just porta potty. Or the work with the small percentage of a-holes that are outwardly hostile. Or the cat calls, or subordinates man-splaining their job to them. Doesn't exactly make for a welcoming environment that encourage women to enter those fields. Maybe some of those things are reasons why only X % of brick layers are women.... Hmmm

^ all of this is bang on. 

• Cheers 3

2 minutes ago, D.B Cooper said:

I’m sure for some it has, and that’s not right.  
I’ve played since the late 80s and have always had POC on our teams.  
We have a couple of gay folks on our shinny team for the last 3 years.  

You're anecdotal acceptance is great and all, but it's a drop in the bucket to the rest of the world and the real people still struggling with this crap daily.

2 minutes ago, D.B Cooper said:

It’s come a long way, but I’m not going to thank NHL or hockey Canada for that. 
No matter how many jerseys they sell

What did the NHL, MLB,etc… do to help that?  They were supporters of money, not helping any change. 
Same as now, which is why I don’t look to those chumps as my moral compass. 

Who said you had to thank the NHL or Hockey Canada? (We shouldn't be thanking hockey Canada for much right now...eesh).

But they're not the ones driving this. It's the vast majority of fans like me, and the other people in this thread, who are. We're demanding that hockey (and society in general) do better for EVERYONE. Sure, the NHL (had anyway) figured out how to make a buck on that sentiment... That's what business do. Fans are using them, and their reach as giant corporations, to expand that message. In return, we give them money. The world keeps spinning.

• Cheers 2

7 minutes ago, TheGuardian said:

How are you fixing the rest of the worlds problems? Does the Ayatollah listen to you? Hamas? Taliban? Isis? They don't even listen to their own people and apart from open war or supporting a dictator there isn't much chance to change.

I think your taking this a bit farther than is logical and attempting to fashion some sort of red herring. Tolerance and acceptance in sport has nothing to with violence in the middle East. Not sure how you went from A to ¥ there....

Edited by aGENT
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Bob Long said:

this is usually just such a small part of things. Its also by design. Oil rigs e.g. are designed the way they are because some large men are willing to kill/maim themselves for a job. It doesn't have to be designed that way.

^ all of this is bang on. 

Things like this are a positive step in the right direction anyway:

https://www.cbc.ca/amp/1.6992855

4 hours ago, Bob Long said:

The answer you are looking for is "stigma". People in our culture are afraid of someone labelling them if they enter a certain field and are thus discouraged to do so. It has nothing to do with innate qualities. 

So women are afraid to go into bricklaying (99% male field) because they are afraid about getting discouraged in that field. It has nothing to do with simply not wanting to lay bricks for 10 hours a day?

Makes sense.  

27 minutes ago, Swizzey said:

So women are afraid to go into bricklaying (99% male field) because they are afraid about getting discouraged in that field. It has nothing to do with simply not wanting to lay bricks for 10 hours a day?

Makes sense.  

Do you think women are afraid of hard work? 

• Vintage 1

26 minutes ago, Swizzey said:

Makes sense.  

You do realize that when you eliminate and rearrange half a sentence you come up with a different statement...Right? Or are you just learning this now? 

the statement you just said was not the same statement Bob did.

1 minute ago, Bob Long said:

Of course they are! That's why 92% of Canadian nurses are woman. Everyone knows being a nurse is a super cushy job...

• Haha 2
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

27 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

Not at all. I think women, and men, choose professions that best suit their characteristics and preferences. I just don’t think those are brick laying. The same reason I think males are underrepresented as nurses. The same reason gays are underrepresented in NHL hockey.

My point in this thread has consistently been that perhaps the underrepresentation of gay hockey players has more to do with characteristics and preferences than it has to do with inequality. 

12 minutes ago, Swizzey said:

My point in this thread has consistently been that perhaps the underrepresentation of gay hockey players has more to do with characteristics and preferences than it has to do with inequality. 

I'll give you one thing, it's been a consistently terrible point.

• Haha 2
  • Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, Swizzey said:

Not at all. I think women, and men, choose professions that best suit their characteristics and preferences.

is there a master list of these somewhere you are working from? what are you referencing?

I just don’t think those are brick laying.

or maybe thats just not a particularly attractive trade, to most people. 

The same reason I think males are underrepresented as nurses.

and what specific reason is that? 

The same reason gays are underrepresented in NHL hockey.

utter nonsense. We've seen many amazing gay athletes who come out after their careers are over in many sports, just as demanding as hockey. 

you haven't come close to providing a valid rationale for this. Not sure if this is from a Jordan Peterson video but this question is just silly.

You could use the same logic for why there aren't many black players in the NHL, and that would be nonsense too. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

is there a master list of these somewhere you are working from? what are you referencing?

- even if it’s not an attractive trade, that doesn’t give reason to why it’s a 99% male industry. You still haven’t given a logical reason to explain that…

7 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

22 minutes ago, Swizzey said:

Not at all. I think women, and men, choose professions that best suit their characteristics and preferences.

- Simply that men and women tend to have different characteristics and preferences.

7 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

I just don’t think those are brick laying.

- Even if it’s not an attractive trade, that doesn’t give reason to why it’s a 99% male industry. You still haven’t given a logical reason to explain that…

The same reason I think males are underrepresented as nurses.

- Generally, females tend to have higher caretaking ability 

The same reason gays are underrepresented in NHL hockey.

utter nonsense. We've seen many amazing gay athletes who come out after their careers are over in many sports, just as demanding as hockey. 

- Of the millions of professional athletes in high contact sports, can you name 25?

you haven't come close to providing a valid rationale for this. Not sure if this is from a Jordan Peterson video but this question is just silly.

You could use the same logic for why there aren't many black players in the NHL, and that would be nonsense too. 

- African American’s have a deep routed culture in football and basketball. On top of the historic culture, they also tend to have characteristics of being extremely fast runners and can jump high. Hence, it makes sense that they gravitate to sports where that is needed to be successful. 

Sorry for how I organized that - I definitely am less savvy on how to navigate quoting on here. 

There must be some underlying inequality in why that is… or maybe you have just navigated forums like this longer than me 🙂

1 minute ago, Swizzey said:

Sorry for how I organized that - I definitely am less savvy on how to navigate quoting on here. 

There must be some underlying inequality in why that is… or maybe you have just navigated forums like this longer than me 🙂

yes, there is and you're doing all you can to avoid it. Its called stigma and harassment for many women in the trades. Many men don't want them there. 

What do you mean 'females have higher caretaking ability'? so you've never gone to a male doctor?

it took a 3 second google search to find a list of athletes for you: https://playersbio.com/lgbtq-athletes/

As for your suggestion for a lack of black players in the NHL, you might want to go back and edit that out of existence. 

You have decided that there's some list of characteristics out there that defines people, apparently for all time. Not sure where you are getting this from, can you explain that a bit?

Another point, even if there are only a small number of gay athletes, does that somehow make it OK in your mind to discriminate?