[PROPOSAL] Anthony Beauvillier to Columbus

To Columbus:

Anthony Beauvillier ($1.4 million retained)

To Vancouver:

Andrew Peeke

Columbus wants to trade a RHD to fit David Jiricek into the lineup.  They are looking at moving either Adam Boqvist or Andrew Peeke.  They want a contract back that they can just bury in the minors as their roster is complete.  Trading for Beauvillier makes sense for them as they can just bury him in the minors and trade him at the deadline and he will be gone next summer.  We retain $1.4 million to match the contract of Peeke dollar for dollar so Columbus can retain cap space for the trade deadline.

Vancouver gets a solid defensive defenceman in Peeke who can play with Hughes.  He averaged over 21 minutes a night the last 2 seasons.  His +/- is horrific, but in Tocchet's new system he may flourish.  He is big, strong, hits and blocks shots and was on the #1 PK unit last season with Columbus.  He is signed for 3 more seasons at $2.75 million which is very reasonable as he is only 25 years old and hasn't hit his prime yet.  

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

3 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

To Columbus:

To Vancouver:

Andrew Peeke

Columbus wants to trade a RHD to fit David Jiricek into the lineup.  They are looking at moving either Adam Boqvist or Andrew Peeke.  They want a contract back that they can just bury in the minors as their roster is complete.  Trading for Beauvillier makes sense for them as they can just bury him in the minors and trade him at the deadline and he will be gone next summer.  We retain $1.4 million to match the contract of Peeke dollar for dollar so Columbus can retain cap space for the trade deadline.

Vancouver gets a solid defensive defenceman in Peeke who can play with Hughes.  He averaged over 21 minutes a night the last 2 seasons.  His +/- is horrific, but in Tocchet's new system he may flourish.  He is big, strong, hits and blocks shots and was on the #1 PK unit last season with Columbus.  He is signed for 3 more seasons at $2.75 million which is very reasonable as he is only 25 years old and hasn't hit his prime yet.  

If Beauvillier was traded to Columbus at $2.75M, there's zero chance he'd clear waivers.  You can't just bury these him in the minors.  Someone will claim him.  But if that is truly CBJ's intention, then why would they waste time trading Peeke for a cap dump?

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

Got to dumperoo Garland. New Beau has trade value, especially as we get closer to the TDL so we don’t need to retain now. Get rid of Garden Gnome. But not for Peeke. Get Guddy back. 

Alf, partying like its 1999!

Alfe GIFs | Tenor

(Guddy is done; and that contract...)

3 hours ago, Miss Korea said:

If Beauvillier was traded to Columbus at $2.75M, there's zero chance he'd clear waivers.  You can't just bury these him in the minors.  Someone will claim him.  But if that is truly CBJ's intention, then why would they waste time trading Peeke for a cap dump?

According to Columbus they don’t want any salary back. If they can get a pick or prospect for Peeke or Boqvist they would do it. 

If not, plan B is to take on a contract they could bury in the minors. My proposal would work with plan B. If someone takes Beau off waivers then it works out even better for Columbus as they would free up Peeke’s entire contract. 

Edited by Elias Pettersson

6 hours ago, Alflives said:

Got to dumperoo Garland. New Beau has trade value, especially as we get closer to the TDL so we don’t need to retain now. Get rid of Garden Gnome. But not for Peeke. Get Guddy back. 

Beau has zero trade value at $4.15 million. If we were trading him at the deadline we would need to retain 50% of his contract. 

I'm open to moving Beau, I question whether Columbus wants another winger or whether they want to eat the cost of potentially waiving him but I'm open to moving him. 

I think he's more palatable to teams who don't want to take on term, they can just let him walk. Garland could likely contribute more offensively than Beau if given the right opportunities but he's more of a commitment. 

• Cheers 1

36 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

According to Columbus they don’t want any salary back. If they can get a pick or prospect for Peeke or Boqvist they would do it. 

If not, plan B is to take on a contract they could bury in the minors. My proposal would work with plan B. If someone takes Beau off waivers then it works out even better for Columbus as they would free up Peeke’s entire contract. 

Right, but if that was their intention, they can just waive Peeke and likely watch 10-15 teams try and claim him.  I know I've dismissed Peeke in the past but I'm not saying he doesn't have decent trade value.  He's young, affordable, and right-handed.  Columbus will get some decent trade offers, and certainly one better than a waiver dump.

• Upvote 2

25 minutes ago, Miss Korea said:

Right, but if that was their intention, they can just waive Peeke and likely watch 10-15 teams try and claim him.  I know I've dismissed Peeke in the past but I'm not saying he doesn't have decent trade value.  He's young, affordable, and right-handed.  Columbus will get some decent trade offers, and certainly one better than a waiver dump.

This is true.  My feeling is that Beauvillier would pass waivers, even at $2.75 million.  Teams all have their lineups set and most teams are within $1 million of the cap.  So very few teams would have the ability to fit Beau onto their roster.  Same with Peeke, but I would imagine a team like Chicago or Anaheim would take Peeke.  Maybe Detroit too.  I don't see those teams taking Beauvillier.  Only team I can see taking Beauvillier is Arizona who can then flip him at the deadline.  Even then, they are so cheap they probably don't want to pay him for 5 months...

4 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

This is true.  My feeling is that Beauvillier would pass waivers, even at $2.75 million.  Teams all have their lineups set and most teams are within $1 million of the cap.  So very few teams would have the ability to fit Beau onto their roster.  Same with Peeke, but I would imagine a team like Chicago or Anaheim would take Peeke.  Maybe Detroit too.  I don't see those teams taking Beauvillier.  Only team I can see taking Beauvillier is Arizona who can then flip him at the deadline.  Even then, they are so cheap they probably don't want to pay him for 5 months...

This is less about Peeke than it is about Beauvillier.  You're trying to get a useful NHL player in exchange for him, and the odds of that happening are pretty low.

Hey wait don't insult Arizona they've iced some of the best players in recent history

image.thumb.png.ab128591b1640d762fbd16678e454a85.png

• Haha 1

Always appreciate your proposals @Elias Pettersson

A couple reasons Columbus hasn’t made a trade yet, and why (IMHO) they’ll likely have to settle with a suboptimal return…

1. They’re facing the same flat cap trade market as we are. Even if teams need a RD, they likely can’t afford one without sending a contract back. This won’t likely change until a significant RHD goes on LTIR, or closer to the TDL, when teams have accrued more cap space.

2. Their RD assets are all distressed. Boqvist with injuries, Peeke with his -41, and Guddy with his contract. 

• Cheers 1

On 10/11/2023 at 8:33 PM, Elias Pettersson said:

To Columbus:

To Vancouver:

Andrew Peeke

As much as everybody loved him?

Luke Schenn never made us a better team.  As long as we are buying low?  Selling Beauvillier is that.

I would much rather Boqvist.  Lots, and lots AND lots of speed and skill + a shot only Petey can beat on our team! Puck composure?  Its what has held him back. Admittedly a rehabilitation project! Better Garland or Beauvillier than one of our prospects as bait. Low for low. We already have Soucy, Cole & Myers for size on the back end.

Speed & skill is exactly what is called for!  

7 hours ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Luke Schenn never made us a better team.  As long as we are buying low?  Selling Beauvillier is that.

I would much rather Boqvist.  Lots, and lots AND lots of speed and skill + a shot only Petey can beat on our team! Puck composure?  Its what has held him back. Admittedly a rehabilitation project! Better Garland or Beauvillier than one of our prospects as bait. Low for low. We already have Soucy, Cole & Myers for size on the back end.

A great buy low target also he’s the guy that didn’t play in their season opener so probably valued the least of the guys they’re looking to move! If they keep having scoring issues maybe we can move them Garland or Beauvillier along with a prospect like one of Podkolzin or Hoglander. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, flickyoursedin said:

A great buy low target also he’s the guy that didn’t play in their season opener so probably valued the least of the guys they’re looking to move! If they keep having scoring issues maybe we can move them Garland or Beauvillier along with a prospect like one of Podkolzin or Hoglander. 

I would be very disappointed if they moved Podz.  He's waiver exempt, which gives the coaches time to

work with him and give him the time and development he needs.

I was high on Boquist at the draft, but he is now 23yrs old and appears to be struggling with the defensive

aspects of the game.  He's a great puck moving offensive dman for sure, but the Canucks seem to have an

abundance of this kind of player.  If the team could move Myers, he might work out alongside Cole, but I

can't see him replacing Hronek on the 2ndPP or as Hughes' partner.  Maybe he could work the bottom

pairing with Brise, but I just don't see him as a Tocc kind of player.

Regardless, I wouldn't mind trading him for Beau and or Hogs, as he could be a solid asset for acquiring

another grinding/tough middle 6 forward.

1 hour ago, higgyfan said:

I would be very disappointed if they moved Podz.  He's waiver exempt, which gives the coaches time to

work with him and give him the time and development he needs.

I was high on Boquist at the draft, but he is now 23yrs old and appears to be struggling with the defensive

aspects of the game.  He's a great puck moving offensive dman for sure, but the Canucks seem to have an

abundance of this kind of player.  If the team could move Myers, he might work out alongside Cole, but I

can't see him replacing Hronek on the 2ndPP or as Hughes' partner.  Maybe he could work the bottom

pairing with Brise, but I just don't see him as a Tocc kind of player.

Regardless, I wouldn't mind trading him for Beau and or Hogs, as he could be a solid asset for acquiring

another grinding/tough middle 6 forward.

No I get it I don’t want to lose Podkolzin either. But I find when you’re making proposals you have to make trades you might question whether or not you’d do it. A lot of people make trades that I’d do 100 times out of 100. Which means it’s probably unrealistic. Giving up Podz and a salary matcher like Beauvillier or Garland for Boqvist I’d have to think about. I mean I’d probably do it only because we’re giving wingers and the price for RHD is astronomical.

22 hours ago, flickyoursedin said:

No I get it I don’t want to lose Podkolzin either. But I find when you’re making proposals you have to make trades you might question whether or not you’d do it. A lot of people make trades that I’d do 100 times out of 100. Which means it’s probably unrealistic. Giving up Podz and a salary matcher like Beauvillier or Garland for Boqvist I’d have to think about. I mean I’d probably do it only because we’re giving wingers and the price for RHD is astronomical.

Tom Willander will be playing in the NHL next season. So we don’t need a guy like Boqvist. We need a defensive defenceman. Peeke would fit the profile and he’s on a relatively cheap contract. 

On 10/13/2023 at 2:16 AM, Canuck Surfer said:

We already have a player like that coming next season. His name is Tom Willander. He’s gonna be much better than Adam Boqvist. Much much better. 

Willander looks like a young Cale Makar. 

29 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Tom Willander will be playing in the NHL next season. So we don’t need a guy like Boqvist. We need a defensive defenceman. Peeke would fit the profile and he’s on a relatively cheap contract. 

We already have a player like that coming next season. His name is Tom Willander. He’s gonna be much better than Adam Boqvist. Much much better. 

Willander looks like a young Cale Makar. 

Well there’s no guarantee that Willander comes in next season. Maybe he wants to play another year in college. Also with Boqvist you could buy low and in a years time sell high next year if Willander does decide to come over and looks every bit as good. If Boqvist remains healthy for you this year and puts up 35-40 points which is in his wheelhouse you could flip him for twice as much as what you paid to get him. Or just keep him and have the one of the best RHD depth in the league if everything turned out.

Edited by flickyoursedin