(Signing) Owen Power re-signs with Sabres

12 minutes ago, AatuD2 said:

People that wonder "what if Canucks stayed patient for another three years" can look at Sabres HOWEVER...  we shouldn't ignore the 10 year rebuild total time spent.  They went from rebuild into rebuild, right @Sabrefan1 ?

we are coming up to 10 years of "retool" and our future looks nothing like buffalo.. and during that 10 years we are really no better than buffalo either

2 hours ago, HKSR said:

Can you imagine having 2 franchise #1OA defencemen on your team?  What a luxury.

I can't. We are canucks fans. #1 overall pick is no in our collective experiences. Let along multiple ones.

Edited by 24K

19 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

we are coming up to 10 years of "retool" and our future looks nothing like buffalo.. and during that 10 years we are really no better than buffalo either

We are better then Buffalo, but the question is for how long.  You could argue that we ended off last year at a similar level to them.  

Anyways I wanted to highlight that Buffalo had one or two previous rebuilds that they failed on before their current version.  They never planned to have a 10 year rebuild either.  

I would rather have the Buffalo roster + prospects right now. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, AatuD2 said:

We are better then Buffalo, but the question is for how long.  You could argue that we ended off last year at a similar level to them.  

Anyways I wanted to highlight that Buffalo had one or two previous rebuilds that they failed on before their current version.  They never planned to have a 10 year rebuild either.  

their rebuild probably wouldn't have reached 10 years if NHL didn't decide to take mcdavid away from them. they were rebuilding but the rebuild didn't really take off until they started to tank for top 3 picks.. 

are we better than buffalo?? i don't know.. i personally don't think so..  their top 6 have more points than ours.. their defence is way better than ours.. only thing we have is demko if he can regain and keep his form.. but levi if he plays up to potential that will be a wash also.

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, Warhippy said:

Powers is 100% that slow burn type of player that just explodes out of the gate one year after taking that next step.

Sure he might be 22-25 when it happens but out of nowhere *bam* franchise defenseman 

💯 no doubt in my mind. Dahlin over shadows him abit but goddman I wish we where built like Buffalo 

5 hours ago, Warhippy said:

Powers is 100% that slow burn type of player that just explodes out of the gate one year after taking that next step.

Sure he might be 22-25 when it happens but out of nowhere *bam* franchise defenseman 

Ya, at the moment he kind of screams Victor Hedman who didn't really take the next step until his D+5 season and the truly established himself as a dominant player the playoffs of his D+7 season at age 25.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, RakuRaku said:

Wow... so we are now letting these young guys who haven't even accomplished 3 successful seasons yet set the benchmark on salaries??? Looks like we gotta pay Hughes and Petey $12-13M+????

Correct. Petey's value right now is probably $11-13M and Hughes is about the same.

• ThereItIs 1

Me@Buffalo

giphy-5.gif.6dc49deba827d3ddb7f9b54f5d129496.gif

But for real, this deal probably ends up looking like a steal sooner than later given how the cap is gonna jump

2 hours ago, RakuRaku said:

Wow... so we are now letting these young guys who haven't even accomplished 3 successful seasons yet set the benchmark on salaries???

Looks like we gotta pay Hughes and Petey $12-13M+????

tumblr_inline_oken3iF3RA1qmehrb_250.gif.77e9e1f0c72147876363ab72992ac9f1.gif

Edited by Coconuts

6 hours ago, RakuRaku said:

Wow... so we are now letting these young guys who haven't even accomplished 3 successful seasons yet set the benchmark on salaries??? Looks like we gotta pay Hughes and Petey $12-13M+????

I mean, we could be paying Petey like 8mil if we long termed him instead of bridging him. Like NJ did with Jack Hughes.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, AatuD2 said:

Tim Murray messed up their rebuild, as soon as they got Eichel they decided to push their chips too early by trading for Kane, Bogosian, Lehner and O'Reilly. At the same time GMs have a short shelf life. If you walk into a meeting with an owner and say you want to rebuild for 7 years, you will find yourself out of a job shortly after.

• Upvote 1

I hope everything goes according to plan in Buffalo cause their handing out some large paydays.

When Dahlin and Power are on the Ice together they have $19.35 MILLLION in D skating around.

Giving out $8.35 million a year to a 19 y/o for next 7 years that has 1 (full) year) under his belt is risky ...well kinda crazy (to me anyway). 

I get that it COULD look like a steal in a couple years but it could also look like a boat anchor if things don't work out. 

Teams are tryin to lock up young talent early (I see the appeal) but without really proving themselves it's going to backfire sometimes. 

Can you imagine if they had done that with Tyler Myers when he scored 48 points in his rookie season and won the Calder?

Edited by Blitz-Pix
  • Upvote 1

15 hours ago, KoreanHockeyFan said:

Buffalo and New Jersey...take notes GMs, this is how you rebuild. Lock in your young talent early. 

Winning lotteries and getting a shit-ton of top picks has a bigger impact on the rebuilds than the contracts. Well, that and making the right choices with those picks.

Damn, Buffalo had 2 1OAs and 2 2OAs as part of 10 consecutive years of picking no worse than 8th.

The Devils didn't suck that bad, but also have 2 1OAs in the last 6 years.

How many lotteries have we lost during the last decade?

I wonder how long until the Pens start tanking again to get another string of 1OAs?  There should be some kind of lottery weighting that adjusts for Cup wins (or lack thereof).

Ok fine, I'm just jealous.

• Haha 2

On 10/11/2023 at 10:26 PM, AatuD2 said:

People that wonder "what if Canucks stayed patient for another three years" can look at Sabres HOWEVER...  we shouldn't ignore the 10 year rebuild total time spent.  They went from rebuild into rebuild, right @Sabrefan1 ?

Sorry.  I only just now noticed this post. 

The problem with the Canucks is that they continually retool to a spot where they are just good enough to be a borderline 1st round playoff team at best and mediocre at worst.  That lands the team just outside prime drafting position every year.

The current retooling strategy isn't getting the organization any closer to the Stanley Cup.  It's just doing the same thing over and over again while hoping for a better outcome.

If Petey doesn't re-sign long term with the Canucks, I hope they have a fire sale of their players and build up as many good draft picks as possible.  The current pace of the team is just frustrating to watch year after year.

For the first time in years, I can honestly say I have more hope for the Sabres future than I do for the Canucks. 

Although that 8-1 opening night destruction of the Oilers has sparked some hope for this season and on the flip side, the Sabres lackadaisical showing on an opening night (that honored the late Rick Jeanneret) has made me apprehensive.

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, Blitz-Pix said:

Can you imagine if they had done that with Tyler Myers when he scored 48 points in his rookie season and won the Calder?

They did sign him to a big contract afterwards, and it backfired so they traded him away and some additional dead weight contracts for Kane and Bogosian.  It ended up a net positive even if the centrepiece of the trade turned out to be a bit rapey... Allegedly...

Edited by Sabrefan1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Sabrefan1 said:

Although that 8-1 opening night destruction of the Oilers has sparked some hope for this season and on the flip side, the Sabres lackadaisical showing on an opening night (that honored the late Rick Jeanneret) has made me apprehensive.

I often wonder how well teams do on big nights like that.  It's all anecdotal, so possibly meaningless, but I seem to recall a number of times when the Canucks or their opponents having some event/memorial/etc. that ramps up the crowd (and thereby get the team energized), and the team rolls out a stinker.  

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, Kragar said:

I often wonder how well teams do on big nights like that.  It's all anecdotal, so possibly meaningless, but I seem to recall a number of times when the Canucks or their opponents having some event/memorial/etc. that ramps up the crowd (and thereby get the team energized), and the team rolls out a stinker.  

I wish I knew.  I'd also guess it was partly due to the Rangers having a more experienced and mature team that also has good coaching. 

Their assistant coaches are both former Sabres players (Peca, Housley) from better times.

• Cheers 1

19 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

I wish I knew.  I'd also guess it was partly due to the Rangers having a more experienced and mature team that also has good coaching. 

Their assistant coaches are both former Sabres players (Peca, Housley) from better times.

Yeah, Rangers are in decent shape (sadly!).

I used to have a boss who is a Rangers fan.  I had to choose my words carefully at times :classic_laugh:

• Haha 1