(Signing) Owen Power re-signs with Sabres

• 4 weeks later...

Just thought I’d bump this thread since so many of you were getting all horny how Buffalo has 2 #1 D and how they’ll be so good blah blah blah. Well here we are, Canucks 3rd best team, number one ranked offence, number 2 ranked defence. Buffalo at their usual 500 just like they’ve been the past few years. Not bad enough to get top pick, but not good enough to make the playoffs 

13 hours ago, Huggybear43 said:

Just thought I’d bump this thread since so many of you were getting all horny how Buffalo has 2 #1 D and how they’ll be so good blah blah blah. Well here we are, Canucks 3rd best team, number one ranked offence, number 2 ranked defence. Buffalo at their usual 500 just like they’ve been the past few years. Not bad enough to get top pick, but not good enough to make the playoffs 

You do know you can be stoked on the Canucks without having to try to shit on another team, right? Particularly when Buffalo has a die hard fan base that has supported a team through rough times. You weren't even a part of the original conversation when the signing happened. Did you only bump this thread to spread negativity towards another young team that isn't an Alberta scrub team or Toronto?

Edited by MeanSeanBean
  • Cheers 3

On 10/13/2023 at 11:19 AM, Sabrefan1 said:

I wish I knew.  I'd also guess it was partly due to the Rangers having a more experienced and mature team that also has good coaching. 

Their assistant coaches are both former Sabres players (Peca, Housley) from better times.

What's the update on your team? There looks to be a huge mushy middle there in terms of standings. 

How are Sabres doing? What's their biggest need at the moment? 

16 hours ago, AatuD2 said:

What's the update on your team? There looks to be a huge mushy middle there in terms of standings. 

How are Sabres doing? What's their biggest need at the moment? 

The Sabres forwards need to be more consistent in their play now that they finally have a good bottom 6.  Though that's the story with all young teams, consistency.  That's why the Sabres re-signed Okposo and made him captain.

The new rookie starting goalie (Devon Levi) most are expecting excellent things from, even a healthy number of pundits, needs to stay healthy and gain more experience.  Ukko-Pekka Luukkonen isn't starting calibre.  He's more of a very good backup level it seems.  It's tough to judge with a soft-ish D corp.

The Sabres could use better and more solid bottom pairing D-men.  If Dahlin gets back to last year's form, it would help so he could eat up more of the bottom minutes.

• Cheers 2

On 11/7/2023 at 3:03 AM, Huggybear43 said:

Don't get too cocky about the Canucks' great beginning.  Two different seasons those sucky Sabres teams went on a tear in the beginning of their season and went on winning streaks and actually temporarily reached first place in the NHL both times.  They both went on to miss the playoffs in the end.

The hockey gods giveth and they most definitely taketh away.  They are vengeful f*ckers so don't get too arrogant quite yet.  If any fan base should know this intimately, it's this fan base.  They have been effing with the Canucks since even before their very first draft pick was made.

• Cheers 3

On 11/7/2023 at 12:03 AM, Huggybear43 said:

Not like we haven't had a baby schedule so far, we've played 2 teams I'd consider legit. Please don't anger the hockey gods. We're finally doing good again. Lets chill before planning the parade. There's a reason management is rumored to be working the phones hard. They know we're still a few pieces away from being legit.

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

• 1 month later...
On 11/8/2023 at 3:21 PM, Sabrefan1 said:

Don't get too cocky about the Canucks' great beginning.  Two different seasons those sucky Sabres teams went on a tear in the beginning of their season and went on winning streaks and actually temporarily reached first place in the NHL both times.  They both went on to miss the playoffs in the end.

The hockey gods giveth and they most definitely taketh away.  They are vengeful f*ckers so don't get too arrogant quite yet.  If any fan base should know this intimately, it's this fan base.  They have been effing with the Canucks since even before their very first draft pick was made.

My post had nothing to do with getting cocky about the Canucks. It has nothing to do with Buffalo. It has to do with what a few people wrote bout how Buffalo is better than Vancouver. It wasn’t true back then and it’s definitely not true today. I get it. It’s an online forum. People can write whatever the f they want on here but should be called out when they’re blatantly wrong 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Huggybear43 said:

It has to do with what a few people wrote bout how Buffalo is better than Vancouver. It wasn’t true back then and it’s definitely not true today.

I like how the Sabres are rebuilding, but the Sabres have been a low rung team for the last decade.  The Canucks are usually somewhere in the middle, except for this current breakout season where they are finally one of the better teams in the league.

Right now it's too early to know whether or not the current version will be any better.  The talent is there, but the team is counting on a highly touted rookie goaltender who like the rest of the young guys on the team is having streaks of looking like world-beaters mixed in with streaks of absolute dogsh*t play.

Fortunately for me I'm a fan of both teams and if the young guys on the Sabres coalesce into a solid team, they'll be peaking around the same time as the Canucks and I'll be one spoiled hockey fan.

Time will tell the story as it always inevitably does.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, Huggybear43 said:

My post had nothing to do with getting cocky about the Canucks. It has nothing to do with Buffalo. It has to do with what a few people wrote bout how Buffalo is better than Vancouver. It wasn’t true back then and it’s definitely not true today. I get it. It’s an online forum. People can write whatever the f they want on here but should be called out when they’re blatantly wrong 

And it’s a Canuck’s forum. Of course we are going to put our team first. It’s friggin’ weird not to! 
The Sabres are a joke. Dahlin is craperolla. If Sabre fans want to cheer for their team then donor on their club forum. F that club. It brings Alf great joy seeing them lose and their fans suffer. And it’s hilarious watching Dahlin suck pucks. 11 mil per for 8 years! One of the worst contracts in the league. Loser team. 
Now that’s fun! 🤣

Have the sabres become a great trade partner for us? They have a bunch of expiring ELCs and a couple big extensions kicking in or just kicked in, could tuch or mittlestadt be had? What about Eric Johnson? I understand we have our own cap casualty’s coming but we are looking more and more like a piece or 2 away from being number 1 contender 

18 hours ago, Sabrefan1 said:

I like how the Sabres are rebuilding, but the Sabres have been a low rung team for the last decade.  The Canucks are usually somewhere in the middle, except for this current breakout season where they are finally one of the better teams in the league.

Right now it's too early to know whether or not the current version will be any better.  The talent is there, but the team is counting on a highly touted rookie goaltender who like the rest of the young guys on the team is having streaks of looking like world-beaters mixed in with streaks of absolute dogsh*t play.

Fortunately for me I'm a fan of both teams and if the young guys on the Sabres coalesce into a solid team, they'll be peaking around the same time as the Canucks and I'll be one spoiled hockey fan.

Time will tell the story as it always inevitably does.

Moot point now... But would it have been possible to retain Ullmark?  If so... That looks like a mistake by management no? 

Also, is Tuck part of the core and part of the long-term plans from management's perspective?

Edited by Hogs and Podz

5 minutes ago, Hogs and Podz said:

Moot point now... But would it have been possible to retain Ullmark?  If so... That looks like a mistake by management no? 

Also, is Tuck part of the core and part of the long-term plans from management's perspective?

Would absolutely love Alex Tuch in our top-6. He would slot in beautifully next to petey and mikky 

15 minutes ago, Captain insano said:

Have the sabres become a great trade partner for us?

Not really.  The Canucks time is fast approaching and inexperienced youth would hurt the team especially since the Canucks already have a good pool of youngin's to choose from.

They have a bunch of expiring ELCs and a couple big extensions kicking in or just kicked in, could tuch or mittlestadt be had?

Tuch.  Not a chance.  Mittelstadt, only if the Canucks overpaid for him.

What about Eric Johnson?

Absolutely.  Since they aren't making the playoffs again this year, I'd be surprised if the Sabres don't offer him up as a rental at the trade deadline.

• Cheers 2

10 minutes ago, Hogs and Podz said:

The Sabres tried to re-sign him but he was smart and threw up the deuces and basically said without saying, "you guys suck ass, I'm outta here."  Then he signed with Boston as a free agent.

Tuch is a main piece of the core and the future captain.  He's more or less untradable.  He also grew up nearby and the Sabres are his childhood team so he wants to stay.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

The Sabres tried to re-sign him but he was smart and threw up the deuces and basically said without saying, "you guys suck ass, I'm outta here."  Then he signed with Boston as a free agent.

Tuch is a main piece of the core and the future captain.  He's more or less untradable.  He also grew up nearby and the Sabres are his childhood team so he wants to stay.

Thanks for that saberfan.  I really feel for saber fans.  Like nuck fans, they've been screwed over at times by NHL brass.  I really hope that this year is their last "growing pain' year and really start getting consistent efforts going into next season.  They're not out of it yet this year... And maybe like the canucks last couple years... Make a late run and try to get that last wc spot.  

• Cheers 1