[PGT] Canucks vs Oilers - Oct 11

Jess

Too much optimism in here! Tone it down folks!

If we can beat an angry and motivated Oilers squad on Saturday, then we can start planning the parade.

I'll be happy even if it's a good competitive game and we lose. Edmonton is going to come out flying.

Will I be surprised if it's 8-1 Oilers? Yeah, but not entirely. Way too early to have a good read on the Canucks this year, but my sense is things really are different. I don't expect a lot of blown leads or blowout scores. I just feel like beating Edmonton in their home opener is too much to ask as a jaded Canucks fan!

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Strawbone said:

If we can beat an angry and motivated Oilers squad on Saturday, then we can start planning the parade.

I'll be happy even if it's a good competitive game and we lose. Edmonton is going to come out flying.

Will I be surprised if it's 8-1 Oilers? Yeah, but not entirely. Way too early to have a good read on the Canucks this year, but my sense is things really are different. I don't expect a lot of blown leads or blowout scores. I just feel like beating Edmonton in their home opener is too much to ask as a jaded Canucks fan!

Nobody here really thinks we beat a Cup contender.  Doesn't make beating the Coilers any less sweeter.  Always a great feeling beating a team as overhyped as the Toronto Maple Leafs.

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

7 minutes ago, Canucks-12 said:

Surprised they picked Studnicka over Aman. Good addition to 4th line though.

I can see Studz get in the lineup and provide speed and tenacity, some physicality. He'll want to earn his stay knowing the Canucks finally have some depth.

I really like the additions of Blueger, Suter, Lafferty, Hronek, Cole, Soucy and DeSmith so far.

Damn that's a lot of positive change bringing in those players. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

7 minutes ago, Strawbone said:

The best thing that happened is, we batten down the hatches, instead of collapsing like last year. 

• Like 1

Just now, Dr. Crossbar said:

And ...

I'm just going to point out that ...

Hronek got two points last night along with that beauty of a break up on the McD rush.

Not to mention the scoop up of the rebound for Demko. It was subtle but shows improvement in an area sorely needing it. 

• Cheers 3

Absolute cracker of a game !!! I forgot what it actually felt like to be this pumped after a game, since we haven't won a game that really meant anything since the start of the pandemic as far as i can remember. Whenever we won since the bubble it kinda felt like we shouldn't have been and were only hurting our draft position after the terrible starts of the last few years.  

All the stars looked absolutely ready to rock - Brock back to being Brock is a huge plus. Special teams looking their best since 2011.  Lafferty and Hirose looked solid stepping in. 

Only negatives would be if you are a colilers fan - That team is favorite to win the cup ??!! I mean yeah McDrai can rip any team to pieces on their own on the right night, but Kane is looking like he's in prime retirement mode. And that D - man you forget how bad it really is. When i worry about our D and you see theirs its a bit of an eye opener. Nurse and Boushart have mental lapses all the time. Broberg doesn't look physically ready, Ceci is super mediocre. They are handy offensively sure, but i can see them having a lot of problems this year with that D - not sure they are true cup contenders, even after a off night where clearly they weren't up for it. 

That being said Saturday is going to be a challenge against them at their home opener after that performance. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Absolute cracker of a game !!! I forgot what it actually felt like to be this pumped after a game, since we haven't won a game that really meant anything since the start of the pandemic as far as i can remember. Whenever we won since the bubble it kinda felt like we shouldn't have been and were only hurting our draft position after the terrible starts of the last few years.  

All the stars looked absolutely ready to rock - Brock back to being Brock is a huge plus. Special teams looking their best since 2011.  Lafferty and Hirose looked solid stepping in. 

Only negatives would be if you are a colilers fan - That team is favorite to win the cup ??!! I mean yeah McDrai can rip any team to pieces on their own on the right night, but Kane is looking like he's in prime retirement mode. And that D - man you forget how bad it really is. When i worry about our D and you see theirs its a bit of an eye opener. Nurse and Boushart have mental lapses all the time. Broberg doesn't look physically ready, Ceci is super mediocre. They are handy offensively sure, but i can see them having a lot of problems this year with that D - not sure they are true cup contenders, even after a off night where clearly they weren't up for it. 

That being said Saturday is going to be a challenge against them at their home opener after that performance. 

Cracking Up Lol GIF

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Rubik said:

oh my god, what a game... probably the best Canucks game I've seen since the 2019 playoffs... I'm so so so happy for Boeser, I just loved that wrist shot on his 1st(?) goal, Demko was pretty good, was pretty mad at Joshua for that unnecessary penalty in the offensive zone that gave the Oilers their only goal, Höglander was pretty invisible, but I really really liked Rafferty, he was really noticeable in my opinion, drove the play many times. Defense was pretty solid. And ahh, it's such a breath of fresh air that they not only kept the friggin' lead, but they kept the pressure on and kept adding to the lead.

And compare this to what that gutless flames team did... they whooped an AHL roster with their almost full NHL roster 10-0 in a meaningless game, while Tocchet played his 2nd pp unit out when it was 6 or 7-1. That's class and integrity.

It will be interesting to see how they move forward from here, right now they have the momentum, it would be pretty sweet to start a season strong for once and have an above .600 October.

Robin Williams What Year Is It GIF

3 hours ago, -AJ- said:

Hirose is a LD and Juulsen is a RD. Soucy can play both, but is a natural LD. It's likely that Hirose gets sent back to Abby if Soucy is ready. My feeling is that Soucy will be about a week to recover, but Mikheyev might be in for next game. The interesting conundrum is what to do if Blueger and MIkheyev are both back for game 2. Which forward goes down? I think all of our guys might be waiver eligible. Maybe I'm miscounting and we can just have 13 forwards with a healthy scratch and not worry about waiving anyone.

We have 14 F (including Studnicka) and 8 D, so we'll be fine once either/both come back. We could even keep Hirose up, but as he's the only waiver exempt player on the roster you're probably right about him being most likely, especially if we want to run with an 14 forwards for a bit.

1 hour ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

25 minutes ago, Canucks-12 said:

Surprised they picked Studnicka over Aman. Good addition to 4th line though.

Aman's cap hit is 885k.

Edited by Biff Tannen
Oops, actually it's $883,750. Still just above the threashold though.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • ThereItIs 1

11 hours ago, JamesB said:

Late Comments.

1. Had the pleasure of being at the game tonight. It was fantastic to be there. I was pretty nervous even when we were up 3-0 (that same start we had last year against the Oilers before losing 5-3. I think I relaxed after we went up 6-1 in the third.

2. Obviously a very nice win and a well-played game by the Canucks, especially in view of only having 11 forwards. But the game was a lot closer than the score indicated. The shots were about the same until the Oilers took some penalties late in the 3rd.

3. One key that has not got a lot of attention is that Demko was a lot better than both Oiler goalies. For me, Demko being on his game is the more important key to the season.

4. Some great individual performances, including Boeser, Miller, Petey and Hughes but the team game was very important. As Tocchet emphasized, the 5-man unit of the Miller line (with Boeser and PDG) and Hughes and Hronek did a great job as a unit against the McDavid line.  How often does the McDavid line get dominated like it was tonight: -3 with a negative expected goals differential.

5, Tocchet also mentioned that the Canucks were lucky tonight. Not every aspect of the play was positive. Juulsen and Hirose in particular struggled, despite getting relatively easy minutes. So the D is still an issue. But Hronek and Hughes were very good and Cole and Myers were good. Myers is a veteran, but I think he is benefiting from good coaching.

Great game. Hope the Canucks can keep it up.

Hirose needs seasoning, but thought he looked composed and will be an asset going forward. 
He did get caught on the pick a few times as the speed is higher, than what he'll be used to....

PS. Not a bad game to attend. Happy for you 🙂

Edited by spook007
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

50 minutes ago, Chickenspear said:

"We are comfortable with our goaltending."

-Ken Holland on not making a trade for a goalie at the 2023 trade deadline.

Wasnt goaltendings fault last night. That was just pure dogshit defence and we just played a much better game. Lots of traffic and going hard to the net

look at Douchetard on Joshua’s goal, left him completely untouched as he watched him bang in the rebound