[PGT] Canucks vs Oilers - Oct 11

Jess

Oilers fan brawls with Canucks fans at season opener

The Edmonton Oilers weren’t the only ones frustrated at Wednesday night’s disastrous opening night loss to the Vancouver Canucks.

Late in the game, multiple fans at Vancouver’s Rogers Arena captured an Oilers fan confronting a group of Canucks fans in the lower bowl, which eventually boiled over into a fight.

The fight seems to have first been instigated by a confrontation involving a possibly intoxicated Oilers fan in front of a row of Canucks fans.

A war of words was had before one of the Canucks fans threw a punch, and the group stumbled down the stairs and fell into the seats of the neighbouring section.

Multiple fans headed towards the group with another landing a punch to the back of the head of the Oilers fan. Police and Rogers Arena staff got involved shortly after to control the situation.

Daily Hive has reached out to the Vancouver Police Department about the video, but there has been no comment on whether any arrests or ejections from the arena were made as a result of the fight.

But the fighting wasn’t exclusive to the stands. Edmonton defenceman Vincent Desharnais dropped the gloves with Dakota Joshua in the first period, with Desharnais winning the bout with a takedown.

It was obviously not a great night for Oilers fans. Edmonton was blown out by Vancouver by a score of 8-1, with Brock Boeser torching the Oilers with four of those goals.

Vancouver carried a 5-1 lead into the third period, before pouring on a trio of goals in the final frame to increase their lead to seven.

https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/oilers-fan-brawls-canucks-fans

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, AnthonyG said:

Wasnt goaltendings fault last night. That was just pure dogshit defence and we just played a much better game. Lots of traffic and going hard to the net

look at Douchetard on Joshua’s goal, left him completely untouched as he watched him bang in the rebound

Yeah, but fuck'em.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, RWJC said:

The Edmonton Oilers weren’t the only ones frustrated at Wednesday night’s disastrous opening night loss to the Vancouver Canucks.

Late in the game, multiple fans at Vancouver’s Rogers Arena captured an Oilers fan confronting a group of Canucks fans in the lower bowl, which eventually boiled over into a fight.

The fight seems to have first been instigated by a confrontation involving a possibly intoxicated Oilers fan in front of a row of Canucks fans.

A war of words was had before one of the Canucks fans threw a punch, and the group stumbled down the stairs and fell into the seats of the neighbouring section.

Multiple fans headed towards the group with another landing a punch to the back of the head of the Oilers fan. Police and Rogers Arena staff got involved shortly after to control the situation.

Daily Hive has reached out to the Vancouver Police Department about the video, but there has been no comment on whether any arrests or ejections from the arena were made as a result of the fight.

But the fighting wasn’t exclusive to the stands. Edmonton defenceman Vincent Desharnais dropped the gloves with Dakota Joshua in the first period, with Desharnais winning the bout with a takedown.

It was obviously not a great night for Oilers fans. Edmonton was blown out by Vancouver by a score of 8-1, with Brock Boeser torching the Oilers with four of those goals.

Vancouver carried a 5-1 lead into the third period, before pouring on a trio of goals in the final frame to increase their lead to seven.

Oilers getting walloped all over the place. 

• Haha 2
  • ThereItIs 2

7 minutes ago, RWJC said:

The form on the drink throw was damn good.  

• Haha 1

McD such a putz. I'm getting shades of Toews with his crying to the refs and the "expose them for what they are." Oilers were exposed for what they are. Oilers are one dimensional, terrible at D and have no goaltending. They will win games and make the playoffs but never win anything. McD and Drais will eventually leave and that sad sack team will be even more laughable. 

• Cheers 1

Got home late from a long road trip, and didn't watch the game until this morning.  Was worried, when I popped into the forum by accident, and only saw about 15 pages in PGT well over an hour after the game was done.  Thought the count too low, and figured our boys blew it.  Awesome to see the real thing!

Man, Kurtenbach is a big dude.  The good ol days!!

Shoulda had Boeser out on the PP, especially after Pissy Leon's slash.  Someone deserved a million last night.

Hey Science!!!  Can we clone Bouchard and have him play for all the other teams?  Please?

Oh, and shame on Sportsnet for not having the local broadcast team do the home opener.  At least the Soilers didn't give them much to cheer about!

3 hours ago, Grandmaster said:

What a statement game.

All these clowns on 650 and the other NHL reporters around the league marked us for death last night. Instead of us being carved up like we were last year’s game one with these guys, we did the butcher job. ALL the players knew the stakes and stepped up in EVERY regard of the game. Intensity so high that McBaby was fully contained and pressure was maintained from puck drop the the ending buzzer.

Very proud of these guys. 

One game down, 81 more to go.

Ryan Gosling Clap GIF

If you listen to Riccio and Shah on 650 they say good things about the Canucks all the time. Riccio even thinks Canucks will finish 3rd in Pacific prior to the season opener. Those other clowns like Drance and H&Brough yea i don't even bother listening to them. 
Years ago H&B made fun of Hronek while he was playing for redwings. They didn't know him and they made a stupid joke about him. Years later Hronek is on our team and the best partner Hughes ever played with.

• Cheers 1

6 hours ago, diesel_3 said:

Just finished watching!

What.A.Game! I can't remember an opening game that good in YEARS! This team is playing inspired team hockey....That is all I have ever wanted as a fan. Don't cheat the fucking game, play it the right way, win or lose....sometimes the bounces don't go your way or the better team wins, but tonight was so complete it felt really really good watching that!

A couple quick notes off the top:

Boeser looks completely reenergized, not sure about how 'fast' he has gotten, but he seems to have his confidence back and when you get yourself to soft ice and in the right spot, good things happen!

It feels like we finally have some solid role players. Di Guiseppe and Lafferty could battle it out for unsung hero this year. PDG keeps his legs moving and is a dog on a bone with the puck. I like how Lafferty has the ability to drive play wide with size/speed which forces D/C to be honest with their angles...that just creates more space for his linemates, but you still have to respect the net drive. Great pickup.

Hronek with 2 apples, +4 and tied for most TOI for Dmen (Cole) so he saw a LOT of McDavid. Great game from the back end.

Draisaitl? more like Crysaitl amirite? Can't wait for Saturday.

I don't care if it's game 1 of 82. An 8-1 drubbing of the Oilers always feels so damn good. For other Canucks fans behind enemy lines in Berta, I feel your pain living in Oil country for a few years myself...this outta shut em up for a couple days. Just need to twist the blade and step on the throat saturday, don't let them get up off the ice!

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!

/ramble!

OMG and deb calling the Oilers pussies is the icing on the cake!

Well pussies do take a pounding.

• ThereItIs 1

what a joke TSN. front page of Jay Woodcroft 
and Jay Woodcroft what a joke of a coach. No respect for the Canucks in his morning interview. Basically says Oilers were mostly in offensive zone. How about giving canucks credit for showing up when your entire team didn't

https://www.tsn.ca/nhl/video/woodcroft-we-played-nowhere-near-the-level-of-desperation-and-urgency-needed-to-win~2784915

Edited by Mordekai
  • Upvote 1

If McDavid was honest:

'The Canucks were the much better team tonight. They're the real deal this year. The Canucks were prepared and never let up. We have a lot of work to do. Aside from our poor defense as a team and goaltending, It's my fault, because I'm the best player on the planet and the captain and the team relies on me to score a lot of goals, and I failed miserably.'

• Like 1

Love McDavid's game, and Draisaitl's. But man, the crying is so not cool. I hate when people say you should let off the gas. I say this all the time, I get I only ever played super low level sports. But if anyone ever "let up" on me I'd feel more embarrassed than getting my teeth kicked in. It's like saying I am not worth your best effort. If you don't want to get shit kicked, play better. Flat out. And maybe, don't take dirty shots at the opposing player.

• Upvote 1