[PGT] Canucks vs Oilers - Oct 11

Jess

1 hour ago, Kragar said:

Got home late from a long road trip, and didn't watch the game until this morning.  Was worried, when I popped into the forum by accident, and only saw about 15 pages in PGT well over an hour after the game was done.  Thought the count too low, and figured our boys blew it.  Awesome to see the real thing!

We were all typed out after 117 pages of GDT.

• Haha 1
  • Cheers 1

21 minutes ago, Nucker67 said:

The pressure is really all on Edmonton this Saturday. They just got their butts kicked 8-1 by the team they have to face again. It's their home-opener, and the reliance on McDavid and Draisaitl is immense. With that goaltending. Even watching McDavid's after game interview, he seemed speechless. Like he didn't know what the hell just happened. He doesn't have an answer for what the Canucks just did to his team. Must've been a quiet flight home.

What wise words of wisdom will Connie deliver to lift up his team with? My guess is he doesn't have the words. The Canucks are going into their building on a mission and that is to crush the Oil, again. 

If I'm the coach, I'm telling McDiver to shut his mouth untill he starts playing like a real man.  He needs to cut out the diving and tantrums and start backchecking.  Until he starts to prove he cares about winning, take the C off his jersey.

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, ScottyBoy said:

How so? Fans hate both of them and are trying to get rid of them, both have agents that were allowed to work out trades....Why not hope for some picks and good vibes for the scapegoats?

Apparently the sarcasm of it was lost on you as I've cheered both and defended them non stop 

‘Some’ fans here wish them traded. I would guess most would not. Your statement, imo, was lacking obvious sarcasm.

I don’t recognize you as a regular poster nor do I recall reading any previous posts you have made, as as such I am not familiar with your idiosyncrasies.

Also, because of that point, I could not detect sarcasm.

Further more, my intention was not to insult or attack you.

However I still think it was a stupid comment.

Cheers!

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

If I'm the coach, I'm telling McDiver to shut his mouth untill he starts playing like a real man.  He needs to cut out the diving and tantrums and start backchecking.  Until he starts to prove he cares about winning, take the C off his jersey.

Woodcroft answers to McDavid in that scenario. 

McDavid salty because he thinks we pulled Demko and had our 1st unit PP out there? We were playing plugs on our last PPs. 

Really hope we find a way to shut him down again two games in a row. One blow-out, they use their sloppy play as an excuse, but two tight defensive wins and suddenly we're a problem to deal with and will get a lot more respect.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • ThereItIs 1

2 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

They first need to alter the management group.....cough.......Jeff Jackson.......cough

Yep.  They've really screwed themselves with that hire.  What they need is a guy like Torts to make it clear to McDiver that he either fixes his character issues or he can enjoy the press box.

• Vintage 1

Draisatel is just as bad as McD with his flopping and hissy fits. I remember when Burr and Kesler were under fire for their antics, and rightfully so. Only a matter of time untill McD and Drais will have a tough time drawing penalties same as what happened with Frik and Frak. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Rekker said:

Draisatel is just as bad as McD with his flopping and hissy fits. I remember when Burr and Kesler were under fire for their antics, and rightfully so. Only a matter of time untill McD and Drais will have a tough time drawing penalties same as what happened with Frik and Frak. 

Refs need to start calling only the dive and kick them out of the game when they start throwing a tantrum over the call. Neither of those gutless cowards belongs in a men's league.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Barn Burner said:

That is a hilarious interview. Not sure I'd want him leading our team, as great of a player that he is. 

At least Miller or Hughes would come right out and say we stunk and show some emotion. 

Spot on amigo. Just own up and move on... captain my butt... 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Refs need to start calling only the dive and kick them out of the game when they start throwing a tantrum over the call. Neither of those gutless cowards belongs in a men's league.

I saw signs of it in the second half of the elimination game for the Oilers to end their season last years playoffs. They were trying to draw penalties, Draisatel especially, and refs weren't biting. It's all that team has, really, is the PP.

5 minutes ago, spook007 said:

Spot on amigo. Just own up and move on... captain my butt... 

Especially McD himself. One point and a minus 3. A good captain calls out his own play first. I hope we win Saturday night, even better, stomp them again.

• Cheers 2

Can’t help but wonder if Horvat was the problem… That he couldn’t rally the troops… He wasn’t an effective captain - with Quinn as captain we see a team that is unified and playing with confidence and having the right captain has a lot to do with it…

GO CANUCKS GO!!!

I have a hard time expressing just how happy that blowout made me.  It was terrific on at several fronts.  Firstly, crushing the Oilers, who are considered one of the powerhouses in the league, was satisfying.  Secondly, it was great to see both Garland and Boeser have strong games.  Thirdly, it was great to see the core of Pettersson, Hughes, Miller and Demko pile up some points.

Now here's the rub: the game wasn't as one sided as the score sheet might indicate.  The Canucks were hemmed in their zone way more than I'd like to see.  About half the goals were pretty lucky bounces/deflections to guys (Boeser) who put themselves in a good spot to capitalise.  While the Oiler's work in their own zone wasn't great but the Canucks capitalised almost every single time.

How does this relate to the next game?  The Oilers will likely not be quite as unlucky as they were last night as much as it saddens me to say.  They will probably be a much better team than they were last night.  If the Canucks don't let last nights success go to their heads and bring their "A" game they might be able to earn another win, but I think it will take some improvement on their part in a couple of key areas.  The first is clearing the zone.  The Oilers are a fast team and when they forecheck well can create a lot of havoc.  The Canucks were OK at best in this department last night.  I can't criticise some parts of the Canucks defensive effort, for example they collapsed down in front of their net well.  The PK was satisfactory but someone (probably Demko) needs to be there to stop that shot from Draisaitl down low.  Occasionally I saw players leaving an Oiler open in the slot when the play went down behind the net.  Don't want that happening.

I hope there isn't too much goonery on Saturday, but if there is, here's hoping the refs deal with it.