[PGT] Canucks vs Oilers - Oct 11

Jess

2 minutes ago, Foamys Ghost said:

I have a hard time expressing just how happy that blowout made me.  It was terrific on at several fronts.  Firstly, crushing the Oilers, who are considered one of the powerhouses in the league, was satisfying.  Secondly, it was great to see both Garland and Boeser have strong games.  Thirdly, it was great to see the core of Pettersson, Hughes, Miller and Demko pile up some points.

Now here's the rub: the game wasn't as one sided as the score sheet might indicate.  The Canucks were hemmed in their zone way more than I'd like to see.  About half the goals were pretty lucky bounces/deflections to guys (Boeser) who put themselves in a good spot to capitalise.  While the Oiler's work in their own zone wasn't great but the Canucks capitalised almost every single time.

How does this relate to the next game?  The Oilers will likely not be quite as unlucky as they were last night as much as it saddens me to say.  They will probably be a much better team than they were last night.  If the Canucks don't let last nights success go to their heads and bring their "A" game they might be able to earn another win, but I think it will take some improvement on their part in a couple of key areas.  The first is clearing the zone.  The Oilers are a fast team and when they forecheck well can create a lot of havoc.  The Canucks were OK at best in this department last night.  I can't criticise some parts of the Canucks defensive effort, for example they collapsed down in front of their net well.  The PK was satisfactory but someone (probably Demko) needs to be there to stop that shot from Draisaitl down low.  Occasionally I saw players leaving an Oiler open in the slot when the play went down behind the net.  Don't want that happening.

I hope there isn't too much goonery on Saturday, but if there is, here's hoping the refs deal with it.

Myers, Soucy, Cole, Joshua, Miller can deal with the goonery. The Canucks made some mistakes for sure, which does happen in the span of a hockey game, however they came to play and will come to play again on Saturday. 

Vancouver has superior goaltending and defense, and I highly doubt that Holland's going to be able to rectify that issue by Saturday.

Edited by PhillipBlunt
  • Like 2
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Myers, Soucy, Cole, Joshua, Miller can deal with the goonery. The Canucks made some mistakes for sure, which does happen in the span of a hockey game, however they came to play and will come to play again on Saturday. 

Vancouver has superior goaltending and defense, and I highly doubt that Holland's going to be able to rectify that issue by Saturday.

I agree on the goaltending and defense, but I'm not counting the oilers out yet.  It should be an entertaining game.

• Vintage 1

Just now, Bob Long said:

EDM also has no idea how we'll game plan for the road, thats going to be very interning to see how a competent bench handles the deployment. 

And Soucy, Blueger, and possibly Mikeyev will return to the line up. Ekholm will still be out. 

Just now, Bob Long said:

Unless you miss Baumer? 

Who?

• Haha 1
  • Vintage 1
  • ThereItIs 1

5 minutes ago, Foamys Ghost said:

I agree on the goaltending and defense, but I'm not counting the oilers out yet.  It should be an entertaining game.

For sure. They still have lots of firepower up front, but the weakness in net will need to be compensated for, which the Canucks will be sure to exploit. 

The game is going to be a doozy.

2 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

Proud Of You Yes GIF

Proud The Karate Kid GIF

Edited by PhillipBlunt
  • Haha 2

Canucks new systems play showed last night.

Oilers didnt have the plays they like, the speed rushes up middle of ice by McDavid were shut down. They kept middle of the ice clean and kept the play towards the boards most of the time.

That's how a defensively sound team plays. Keep the puck out of the middle of the ice and don't allow speed up the middle. 

Looking forward to seeing how the Oilers adjust and if the Canucks can do the same thing again. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, WHL rocks said:

Canucks new systems play showed last night.

Oilers didnt have the plays they like, the speed rushes up middle of ice by McDavid were shut down. They kept middle of the ice clean and kept the play towards the boards most of the time.

That's how a defensively sound team plays. Keep the puck out of the middle of the ice and don't allow speed up the middle. 

Looking forward to seeing how the Oilers adjust and if the Canucks can do the same thing again. 

if Mik is back that could be a huge factor, having that much speed available. 

I'm more interested in how they will deploy the d group. I wonder if they'll elect to really up the top 4 minutes given how well rested everyone will be. I can see Hughes hitting 27-28 minutes. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

3 hours ago, spook007 said:

What a whine.... how about you focus on your own shit team. 
It'll make it so much more fun, when the boys beat them again on Saturday. 

Honestly, the best part is we don’t even have to win. If they don’t absolutely smoke us on Saturday they’re still the ones behind. 

…obviously I still hope we win lol. 

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, PistolPete13 said:

Still early days but this one never gets old

IMG_2077.jpeg

A couple of things:  if we were playing our PP#1 up 6-1 against San Jose, then I can see that being unsportsmanlike in some sense.

However, Edmonton should take our using PP1 in a blowout as a compliment.  I'm sure I wasn't alone in thinking that "even at 6-1, I'm not fully confident that Edmonton could not come back from this".  Like, honestly, if Joshua or someone takes a 5 minute major for boarding early in the third, I could see Edmonton scoring 3 PP goals in 5 minutes to get right back in it with 10 minutes to go.  So, perhaps not as insulting as it seems?

Also, I think it is absolutely fair game to use PP1 in a blowout if the penalties are malicious cross-checks/slashes out of the opponent's frustration.  If it is just a hooking call in the neutral zone in a 6-1 game, then the Canucks should absolutely go to PP2.  However, if McDavid and Draisaitl are just pissed off, and taking cheap shots at our players which could injure them (which is what was happening last night), then I say bring on PP1 and punish them.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, Chickenspear said:

Yeah, I think it's 5 minutes apart if there isn't someone else's post between.

This is correct. A recent change we're trying out. Theoretically helps clean things up a bit. Also encourages the usage of multi-quoting.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 2

1 minute ago, -AJ- said:

This is correct. A recent change we're trying out. Theoretically helps clean things up a bit. Also encourages the usage of multi-quoting.

What about an 'undo merge' option? Had it happen in the Around the NHL GDT where I posted twice in a row, but completely different topics.

25 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Anyone else having posts merging automatically on them?

apparently it's a board-wide thing where if you make too many posts quickly they're automerged.

edit: missed that this was already answered.

anyway, i'm thinking the oilers come back much stronger on saturday. it should be a closer game imo. mcdavid incoherent in his post-game interview, don't know what's going on there but wish the best for him.

Edited by 112
  • Haha 1
  • Vintage 1

13 minutes ago, Chickenspear said:

What about an 'undo merge' option? Had it happen in the Around the NHL GDT where I posted twice in a row, but completely different topics.

Not sure, but I don't think that's an option. Best things I can think of are either to wait 5 minutes or just use paragraphs and wording to make the topic change clear.

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

Not sure, but I don't think that's an option. Best things I can think of are either to wait 5 minutes or just use paragraphs and wording to make the topic change clear.

Your call. Canucks are undefeated since the new forum started up. Keep on keeping on!

• Upvote 1
  • ThereItIs 1