[PGT] Canucks vs Oilers - Oct 11

Jess

1 hour ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Do you think this is more of the Aquilinis not having the appetite for a rebuild? Or is it more of a Canadian team issue? 

I honestly think it’s a media pressured problem. One can argue that even the rangers emerged too early from their rebuild. 

13 minutes ago, Mordekai said:

What is the salary cap you used? It is projected to be at 87mil

if that is so I have petey @11.5 and hronek @7 leaves us space at $13.5 to sign entire 4th line plus rhd2 and rhd3 plus backup goalie

6 players total 

edit: and you are right 7 players if we upgrade from Hirose or brisebois for LHD2/3

I think Garland will be traded by then. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, LaBamba said:

This isn’t a troll this is a fan that looks at things differently than others. I tend to agree with this narrative.

I hope that the new forum protects the people who make valid arguments against the grain. What ends up happening is everyone groups up to assault these opinions and feed off each others upvotes. It seems they have full clearance from mods to get “personal” with someone who has a negative attitude towards the team. The person with the negative view ends up defending themselves against 9 different people’s quick little 1 liners or memes, falls into a trap and gets banned. 

This team doesn’t have a fraction of organizational depth to make it through the season and a deep run into the playoffs. The only way this team succeeds this year is with nearly zero injuries and vez caliber goaltending. 

the reason why Canadian teams haven’t won a cup in the salary cap era is because they’re pressured to emerge from their rebuilds too early. Toronto/Edmonton did this too early, Ottawa looks like they’re emerging too early, we are likely going to emerge too early.

We have an emerging, incomplete core. We will now shift to giving up futures for depth and to patch the holes. Those 2-7th round picks everyone hawkishly attacks when someone complains about trading them are what build you organizational depth for FREE. 

This organization will win a Stanley Cup when management learns how to tune out the noise, build their team through the draft and put their pens in their pockets on July first. 

1 hour ago, LaBamba said:

You need an ABUNDANCE of assets, not just enough to ice a team. When some of these players graduate to lucrative contracts, a gun isn’t held to your head because you already have players on ELC’s waiting in the pen. You can take these pending RFA’s and cash them in for holes in your organizational depth, or futures if you cannot leverage them into your cap. 

Positively and reality are 2 very different things. Congratulations on the upvotes though. 

the reason why Canadian teams haven’t won a cup in the salary cap era is because they’re pressured to emerge from their rebuilds too early. Toronto/Edmonton did this too early, Ottawa looks like they’re emerging too early, we are likely going to emerge too early.

I couldn't agree more this has been going on for decades now. Every once in awhile a team that is in the middle of a rebuild will make some shrewd forward thinking and  aggressive moves and all of the sudden have some success. It works here and there but for the most part is short sighted thinking that leads to another rebuild. Here in Canada we are so guilty of that. The fanbases are so rabid the owners and GM's almost always invariably say F#%k it let's go for it, because it sells every year. It's delusional and really is kind of tragic that we keep shooting ourselves in the foot. The Bettman is out to get Canadian teams is rubbish, we are ones who continually put ourselves out of contention

I find it very refreshing to see teams like Ottawa and Montreal at least attempting to use caution and forward thinking to build properly. I wouldn't necessarily say Ottawa has pushed too hard, at some point you have to start ramping it up. They still have rope to play with. As for us I agree we are incredibly short on prospects, assets, caps space, and depth as a result ... here in Vancouver we're probably as guilty or more so then anyone of short term thinking and short cuts to appease the fanbase. But look at all the people here that argue vehemently about our team's current trajectory no matter what obstacles we have. We're an easy target to sell and bamboozle as a fanbase.

Having said that Cups are hard to win and every team and situation is different. Our margins our incredibly slim for success but they're there, and actually the next couple years are even brighter ... if only we didn't have that damn OEL penalty ... it could be 3 years until we have our best chance.

• Cheers 2

4 minutes ago, LaBamba said:

How long does it take to draft and develop a player? Ideally we should be closer to the cap floor than the ceiling with an abundance of picks and prospects so Hughes and EP are surrounded with ECL’s and bridge contracts when they really hit their prime. We would also have cap and futures to exploit teams that can’t fit emerging RFA’s under their cap. As good as Hughes and EP are, they’re likely going to be even better when they are 26-28. We should be looking 3-5 down the road. Like I said, we wasted a decade already, we need to sign EP. It’s all in on an empty tank. 

The number of (effective) roster players on ELCs and bridge deals is a pretty good measure of depth. 

Assuming PA’s 3-year plan takes us to 25/26, EP and QH will be in their primes, as you’ve stated. Realistically, many of our prospects won’t make the NHL, but if we look at the highest floor prospects, there’s maybe 5-6? 

• Räty should be a regular by then, same as Hirose and McWard
  • Willander and Lekkerimäki should be making their debut*
  • Höglander and Podkolzin should still be on bridge deals

*making these picks demonstrated longer term vs. ‘win-now’ thinking. 

4 minutes ago, Huggy Bear said:

The number of (effective) roster players on ELCs and bridge deals is a pretty good measure of depth. 

Assuming PA’s 3-year plan takes us to 25/26, EP and QH will be in their primes, as you’ve stated. Realistically, many of our prospects won’t make the NHL, but if we look at the highest floor prospects, there’s maybe 5-6? 

• Räty should be a regular by then, same as Hirose and McWard
  • Willander and Lekkerimäki should be making their debut*
  • Höglander and Podkolzin should still be on bridge deals

*making these picks demonstrated longer term vs. ‘win-now’ thinking. 

We Need volume. I would be equally as speculative to assume every single one of those players will bust.  

2 hours ago, Huggy Bear said:

Can you quantify that to support your opinion?

How will you know when the Canucks have the right amount of depth at each position?

I think it's subjective in the eye of the beholder as to the total but by any reasonable definition we are far short.

It's a good question. In my opinion I would say for starters you should always have as good of a blue chipper as possible for every position. C, RD, LD, RW, LW, G, to replace players who become to expensive, don't turn out, or get hurt. This should be one of the most important areas of any team focus. You should always have the next iteration of the team pushing from below, that is known as depth. Currently we have:

C - Raty B prospect ... decent but not superb

RD - Willander, A prospect, Brusty B prospect .... very strong

LD - Petterson B prospect, Mynio, Jurmo, Kudryavtsev C prospects ... average

RW - Lekkerimaki, B prospect Klimovich, C prospect ... decent but not superb

LW - Bloom, C prospect, Bains C/D prospect ... weak

G - Silovs B+ prospect, Tolopilo C prospect ... decent but far from a sure thing

I left a couple guys off but the gist of it is our pool is better than it's ever been but still average to below average, especially for a team that's been in the playoffs once in the last decade. Combine this with the fact that our actual roster is extremely weak, contains AHL type players and middling support players and we are very short on the overall depth required to make a serious challenge to the elite teams in the league.

As @LaBamba stated a team should have an abundance of these types of players before they go off spending to the cap in order to complete with the best of the best.

You can never have enough good assets as even some of the most promising won't turn out.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, PhillipBlunt said:

I think that Alvin has been more methodical in building a team. Benning never seemed to have a solid idea as to the type of team he wanted to build and paid way too much for players whose impact didn't match their salary. 

Agreed. there’s at least evidence of a cohesive plan

37 minutes ago, LaBamba said:

I honestly think it’s a media pressured problem. One can argue that even the rangers emerged too early from their rebuild. 

Agreed. The way these assclowns try to steer the narrative, looking to create some Young and the Restless bullshit in the locker room, is ridiculous.

Only in an incubated area like the Lower Mainland, where there's only one major sports team to cheer for do you get this nauseating level of microscopic attention. 

I think they're trying to tune out the noise. I'd gladly rap Paterson on the beak with his foam covered microphone. 🤣 

• Haha 1
  • Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Huggy Bear said:

Agreed. there’s at least evidence of a cohesive plan

Looked pretty good on Wednesday. 

5 minutes ago, Rip The Mesh said:

Soucy and Mikeyev possible for tomorrow. The CoiledTurds are in for it. 

1 minute ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

And the Soiled had trouble with the defense before.......

Holy fuckin merged posts, Batman!

• Cheers 2

7 hours ago, TheGuardian said:

Most posters are short term thinkers, anything beyond one month, unless it concerns never ending future "hope" dwindles into a fog of confusion.

Soon just making the playoffs will be a reason to plan a parade and another 10 years of "almost there"

All that aside that was a surprising game. The Canucks EARNED every bit of praise being heaped on them. But on the flip side, that was one THE WORST games I have seen the Oilers put on the ice. Vancouver was the cause of a lot of that but the word FLAT just gained a whole knew meaning watching the Oilers.

For sure though that game may have "poked the bear" or "shaken the wasp nest"

In hindsight I looked at it sort of like the season backwards, contenders ramp of the game as the season goes on trying to peak for the playoffs whereas "wannabees" play game 7 out of the box.

Good win though 

Arguably, the Oilers did that already in the preseason by running up the score lol. It was 10-0 and we were all disgusted.

• ThereItIs 1

3 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Looked pretty good on Wednesday. 

Soucy and Mikeyev possible for tomorrow. The CoiledTurds are in for it. 

And the Soiled had trouble with the defense before.......

Mikheyev and Soucy are in non-contact red jerseys.

They won't play tomorrow until usually they shed those colour jerseys

• Vintage 1

It's possible that Soucy and Mikheyev wear regular jerseys tomm if they are feeling good today. 

Blueger is basically waiting for his flu to subside. I can't wait to see how Canucks play with those three players in the line-up but it also means Hoglander or PDG will be sitting out. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Bane said:

It's possible that Soucy and Mikheyev wear regular jerseys tomm if they are feeling good today. 

Blueger is basically waiting for his flu to subside. I can't wait to see how Canucks play with those three players in the line-up but it also means Hoglander or PDG will be sitting out

No way PDG sits. It'll be Beau and Hoglander

27 minutes ago, Huggy Bear said:

After resigning the likely RFA’s, a few UFA’s (Lafferty & DeSmith), and without assuming a Garland trade, it looks like we’ll have room to bring on another top 4 D.

image.thumb.png.2294c3e6a88e19303f824175574dd7e3.png

I would be inclined to go with Silvos if he has a solid year and plays a lot. It wound save us about 1 million over Desmith.

We'll see how the year plays out though. 

• Upvote 1