[PGT] Canucks vs Oilers - Oct 11

Jess

2 minutes ago, Bane said:

It's possible that Soucy and Mikheyev wear regular jerseys tomm if they are feeling good today. 

Blueger is basically waiting for his flu to subside. I can't wait to see how Canucks play with those three players in the line-up but it also means Hoglander or PDG will be sitting out. 

Yeah, the two full days between games is working in our favour a bit. Zero chance PDG sits out after the second lines performance on Wednesday, IMO.

Didn’t Blueger have a knee injury from shot blocking as well?

• Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Gurn said:

$30.9 in projected space

minus 

$12 for E.P.

$7 for Hronek

means

$11.9 mill left to sign the other 7 or 8 players, as Petey and Hronek would make 15 players signed.

It amazes me how many people continually try to absolve away our cap issues. Yet every year we're in a cap crunch unable to obtain players to properly augment the team in order to complete. We may be able to squeeze Hronek in but it will be at the detriment of other positions like usual. As you've shown 8 players for $12 mil means roughly a third of your team is underwhelming. Add in the OEL penalty and the cap will continue to be a huge road block for this club regardless of a cap increase. I mean it's not too hard to add numbers up to 83.5 and see we're up against it.

Maybe it would be for the best for everyone to simply realize our spending habits and always gong for it are problematic.

• Cheers 2

Just now, Blitz-Pix said:

I would be inclined to go with Silvos if he has a solid year and plays a lot. It wound save us about 1 million over Desmith.

We'll see how the year plays out though. 

For sure. There are several ways we could be in better cap position than what I posted.

27 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

I think it's subjective in the eye of the beholder as to the total but by any reasonable definition we are far short.

It's a good question. In my opinion I would say for starters you should always have as good of a blue chipper as possible for every position.

What team has a blue chipper at every position? 

2 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

I think that Alvin has been more methodical in building a team. Benning never seemed to have a solid idea as to the type of team he wanted to build and paid way too much for players whose impact didn't match their salary. 

Paid too much, free agents brought in too soon, picks out the door that run counter an "atypical" rebuild, you bet. The question is WHY.

They most definitely had an idea and a "direction"... and that word is a double entendre terms when really look behind the curtain. The funny part is if Allvin or anyone else was GM during the dark times they would've done exactly the same thing as Benning.

19 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

It amazes me how many people continually try to absolve away our cap issues. Yet every year we're in a cap crunch unable to obtain players to properly augment the team in order to complete. We may be able to squeeze Hronek in but it will be at the detriment of other positions like usual. As you've shown 8 players for $12 mil means roughly a third of your team is underwhelming. Add in the OEL penalty and the cap will continue to be a huge road block for this club regardless of a cap increase. I mean it's not too hard to add numbers up to 83.5 and see we're up against it.

Maybe it would be for the best for everyone to simply realize our spending habits and always gong for it are problematic.

No one is absolving our cap situation, or disagreeing our past spending habits are problematic. Who are these straw men you’re fighting?

Our cap situation is horrible, our depth is mediocre (but improving) and we’re a coin flip to make the playoffs this season. PA has been pretty candid and realistic about this.

JRPA aren’t in ‘win now’ mode, and are improving the team to be competitive a couple years. There is zero chance we won’t be able to ‘squeeze Hronek in,’ lol. It also looks like we’ll have $7-8M to upgrade the team, more if we trade Garland. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Gurn said:

Cap was right off Cap Friendly.  $87.5

https://www.capfriendly.com/teams/canucks

I finally got how you got 30.9 mil cap space. 
Poolman is unlikely to play again. I would put him on LTIR. Which puts Canucks with 33.4 mil in cap space. 
Take away Petey and Hronek of $19mil we have about 14.4mil to sign 7-8 players 

• Cheers 2

1 minute ago, Mordekai said:

I finally got how you got 30.9 mil cap space. 
Poolman is unlikely to play again. I would put him on LTIR. Which puts Canucks with 33.4 mil in cap space. 
Take away Petey and Hronek of $19mil we have about 14.4mil to sign 7-8 players 

5 mil for a top 6 player

3 mil to re-sign or replace Cole

5 depth guys making around 1 mil

Plenty of space and that’s without a Garland trade.

• Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

5 mil for a top 6 player

But clearing some space would be great too. Maybe Beau? The worst case is they let Myers and Beau walk in the offseason. If a trade can't be made by the deadline.

7 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

But clearing some space would be great too. Maybe Beau? The worst case is they let Myers and Beau walk in the offseason. If a trade can't be made by the deadline.

I’ll be impressed if we can flip those two while remaining in the playoff hunt. May come down to injuries whether it’s even an option at that point.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Huggy Bear said:

$5-6M for an upgrade, losing Blueger, Myers and Cole, with Räty potentially ready, Höglander at $1.1M, and Podz likely resigned at $1-2M.   

That’s actually not that bad.  

I think it's pretty bad actually. Raty, and Pods aren't even good enough to be in the NHL currently, far from a certainty they get there. Hoglander barely cuts it, in fact he doesn't in my books. Blueger is a good player to lose also. Losing two top 4 dmen with no replacements on top of that. I think this is the classic mistake of hoping everything works out but not planning for the inevitability that it doesn't. It will most likely result in failure. Fail to plan, plan to fail type stuff.

1 hour ago, WSAcanuck said:

No one can quantify how much is needed. The answer is enough to be able to make every move you need to make and/or fill every position necessary to fill.

Asset management is the key. That means not wasting assets but accumulating them (players, picks, prospects) until you have enough to make the necessary moves to be competitive. 

This is a key point in the philosophy of how you view the situation. To each their own though. I see a great poster like @Huggy Bear trying hard to prove you can get by without assets by comparing to other teams. I think that's besides the point though and you should be trying to do things the right way, not prove it can be done without. I completely agree that accumulating good assets should be a key goal of any organization.

53 minutes ago, LaBamba said:

We Need volume. I would be equally as speculative to assume every single one of those players will bust.  

Exactly. Gather as many as you can. If one fizzles out work to replace as soon as possible.

19 minutes ago, Huggy Bear said:

For sure. There are several ways we could be in better cap position than what I posted.

What team has a blue chipper at every position? 

I don't really know to be honest. Again as above I don't think that's the right way to look at it. Regardless of what other teams have or don't have I think we should always have the goal of having good prospects to take over when the time is right. Just because other teams may or may not is a bad reason for us to not give a crap about prospects. I mean it's not imperative you have one blue chip at every position but it certainly is a reasonable goal to strive for.

As such I would be looking to bolster our LW and LD depth in the next draft to bring them up to par. I would assume teams like Arizona, Anaheim, San Jose, Chicago, Buffalo, Montreal, and Columbus are well on their way with players either in the system or already playing because they are that good.

17 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

5 mil for a top 6 player

Yup $5mil to replace beauvillier.

most of the spots available are third liners. 
I think PDG is here for the long haul and it would be wise to take advantage of his low min cap hit the next two years

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Looks like Ekholm will likely draw in tomorrow for the Oilers. Their defence significantly improves with him in it. 

I'd imagine that Pettersson's line will see a lot of them. 

If Soucy draws in for tomorrow, the Canucks defense significantly improves, and the goaltending is still a mess for Edmonton, while it's a strength for Vancouver.

Edited by PhillipBlunt
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Huggy Bear said:

No one is absolving our cap situation, or disagreeing our past spending habits are problematic. Who are these straw men you’re fighting?

Our cap situation is horrible, our depth is mediocre (but improving) and we’re a coin flip to make the playoffs this season. PA has been pretty candid and realistic about this.

JRPA aren’t in ‘win now’ mode, and are improving the team to be competitive a couple years. There is zero chance we won’t be able to ‘squeeze Hronek in,’ lol. It also looks like we’ll have $7-8M to upgrade the team, more if we trade Garland. 

Well I would say you are the straw man absolving it right here in this very post and laughing it off at the same time. Your statement makes it seem like it will be easy to pay Hronek and improve our team to the necessary levels when the reality is far from it, and history supports that. It's not impossible but it will be a huge problem like it has been the last 5 years.

I think it's totally reasonable to acknowledge that as a reality and still support the team. I'am not sure why you keep pretending it's not an issue whatsoever. It simply is. It's not the end of the world either but it will take some serious work. It's not as simple as you're making it out to be.

Edited by Gawdzukes

3 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

If Soucy draws in for tomorrow, the Canucks defense is significantly improves., and the goaltending is still a mess for Edmonton, while it's a strength for Vancouver.

They do have Ekholm!! I have heard excuses that he was the reason why they got demolished 8-1 🤣

• Haha 2