Who will surprise at training camp?

Rush

2 minutes ago, D.B Cooper said:

Why would you not see Raty making the big leagues if he doesn’t this year?   
He is only 20 and last season was his first in NA.  He did decent as well. 
Give these children some time to develop. 

Sorry I could of worded that better lol

i meant I can’t see him NOT making the big league.

if not this year , then next year I think he will for sure be playing on the Canucks .

9 minutes ago, Nucklifer said:

McDonough looks really good but they would need to move one or 2 bodies out to make room or a couple guys get hurt. 
Hirose looks to be a lock for 7-8 D or better. Has a ton of composure 

Maybe not this season but with Petey and Hronek both (hopefully) getting new deals something is going to have to happen eventually.  

The OEL buyout just kicked the can down the road a bit - eventually we’ll need some sweet sweet ELC contracts on the team.

As for who surprises at camp?  Going to be hard on the young forwards with our logjam up front.  I think Suter impresses and Brock and Garland turn some heads.

On the back end Hirose and Wolanin duke it out for 6D to play with Myers (assuming the furious trade rumours don’t come to fruition) and Hirose wins it outright, never looking back.

Edited by The Duke
  • Cheers 1

At his age, Noah Juulsen needs a big camp and will push for a 5-6 spot, allowing management to move Myers. I like him and hope he at least makes the team; he's not flashy, but reliable, exactly what we need with QH if Cole goes down, and perfect for the third pairing & PK. I think Hogz comes in with a chip on his shoulder and forces his way onto the team in a bottom-six role, forcing management to waive Pearson down to Abby. Podz takes a huge step and earns the top six role.

Man I can't wait for hockey!!!!!!

Edited by Canuckleheads Fan
  • Like 1

I'll throw out a different name that I think a lot of people overlook. I obviously don't have any insight but I wonder how this year will go for Jack Studnicka. He is one of the biggest question marks in the organization right now imo. I'm not saying he will surprise or have some insane start to the year but I wonder where he is at and where he will end up this year. 

I've liked him even when he was with the Bruins and also thought he had more to give. We haven't seen that yet in Vancouver either. 

One things for sure, Abbottsford will be a really good team this season. 

Edited by DeltaSwede
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, DeltaSwede said:

I'll throw out a different name that I think a lot of people overlook. I obviously don't have any insight but I wonder how this year will go for Jack Studnicka. He is one of the biggest question marks in the organization right now imo. I'm not saying he will surprise or have some insane start to the year but I wonder where he is at and where he will end up this year. 

I've liked him even when he was with the Bruins and also thought he had more to give. We haven't seen that yet in Vancouver either. 

One things for sure, Abbottsford will be a really good team this season. 

Might be a good call.  I was reading recently that he’s added 10lbs and is great shape.  Sounds like he’s wanting to be grittier to play against.

• Cheers 1

17 minutes ago, Alflives said:

What’s the cost? Have to dumperoo Myers and Garland. Maybe Garland for Pesce? 

It starts at Garland and a 1st, that's for sure. Who knows? All I know is that with him on our team, we're much better off for the next X amount of years he re-signs for. Tons of cap juggling in this fantasy world of mine though, since Pettersson and Hronek both need raises at the time Pesce will be asking for an extension. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, HorvatToBaertschi said:

It starts at Garland and a 1st, that's for sure. Who knows? All I know is that with him on our team, we're much better off for the next X amount of years he re-signs for. Tons of cap juggling in this fantasy world of mine though, since Pettersson and Hronek both need raises at the time Pesce will be asking for an extension. 

If only Benning had just taken the time to extend Tanev.
Benning 

640ADC03-AF6E-40A4-B907-3BA0E9183B57.gif

You gotta say after a dominant Young stars team made up of a number of lightly NHL-seasoned players, you have to think that this could be one of the most interesting and fiercly competitive camps of recent years. 

Hirose, McWard look ready to go. Woo, Juulsen took steps last year, with Woo really stepping up and now no long being waiver exempt. Likely the last chance for Rathbone at this org be interesting to see where his game is at after a difficult season last year. There's D jobs up for grabs that's for sure. 

Up front could also be a dog fight. Outside the Top tier players you have the likes of Podz, Beauvillier, Garland, who have struggled for consistency and form at times.  Then Myk and Pearson who could or could not be injured.  Then there is the upcoming players who look like they could compete, Hoglander, McDonagh, Raty, Sasson, Bains at least look borderline ready to do a job for the big club.  It's going to be great competition for places where no one can afford to take a game off - should be really good for the club. 

Could see us losing a player or two on waivers this year too.