Vancouver Sports media thread

Blue

5 minutes ago, Kevin Biestra said:

Okay fine I'd probably make out with Sekeres after a couple drinks.

I only just noticed that guy was quoting you and not me, since I made the exact same post on the last page of the thread. 

24 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

Is that you, Sekeres? 

Honestly, I'm sure the personalities can handle the forum. Also, they should come up with their own material. Lastly, the ones who stir up shit for clicks and call it "just doing their job" can eff right off anyway.

No. Its not. I called Sekeres an asshole a couple posts up. But how many times does someone have to say "face for radio , voice blah blah" ? It was already said. 

1 hour ago, kilgore said:

On Botchford, each to their own.

I thought he was a breath of fresh air.  And also entertaining as hell.  An actual journalist that wasn't afraid of ownership. And respected the fans opinions didn't just preach from on high.   There is a big difference in stirring up shit for the sake of it and speaking the truth is what is causing the shit to fly.  That difference was what many refused to get.  Botch was pulling his hair out begging for Canucks management to listen to Torts, Linden, and stop trading away, or giving away, your draft picks and signing long term lucrative deals to entice FAs to travel up to the northwest. He literally shouted "We Need An Army!"

He has many sports writers today that sing his praises for helping them in their ;journey. The even created The Botchford Project to honour up and coming sports writers based on the many stories of him giving advice and help to young sports journalists. 

I noticed Harman Dayal is in your top tier, here's what he said about Botch:

https://theathletic.com/1075074/2019/07/22/harman-dayal-its-time-to-go-all-in-on-quality-canucks-coverage/

"Another reason I’ve loved working at The Athletic is because of the people I’ve gotten to call colleagues — individuals I owe so much to. This, of course, begins with Jason Botchford — a mentor and friend I’ll never forget. I started the year freelancing with a small following, and it was because of Botch’s support that I was able to gain a voice in the media space."

I could quote a ton more from sports writers today that would give a lot of cred to Botchford for their careers.  Drance also, who i see is in your second tier.  In fact everyone in your top two tiers has worked with Botchford and has only good to say about him.

He also revolutionized how sports writers use Twitter. Engaging with fans.  I like how the biggest complaint by some is how sports journalists sit on a cloud just spewing their biased editorials from above. When a writer actually listens to and takes into account how fans feel, he is dissed for that too.  Can't win.   There's a reason a lot of his writing was negative against Canucks management.....we were a losing team, who were on a losing path who kept shooting ourselves in the foot. And no one could cut through the crap like Botch and lay out all the ugly truth. Some just couldn't handle the truth.  And that's fine. Each to their own. Its actually funny how divergent we all are in our personal choices.

I agree with this re: him being a great guy and mentor in the industry. I also, in my mind, think he was trying to pull the Athletties? Up from the negative pity party with his “Team Playoffs” declaration before he passed.

in any case, he gave me my favourite Radio moments of all time with Rintoul and DeBron.  I had a job that involved driving around during the day and my productivity would dip a bit as I took the long way to listen to their show.  

“Hobo or Phobo” - a guessing game about the various plots of Littlest Hobo was my all time fave.

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, The Duke said:

I agree with this re: him being a great guy and mentor in the industry. I also, in my mind, think he was trying to pull the Athletties? Up from the negative pity party with his “Team Playoffs” declaration before he passed.

in any case, he gave me my favourite Radio moments of all time with Rintoul and DeBron.  I had a job that involved driving around during the day and my productivity would dip a bit as I took the long way to listen to their show.  

“Hobo or Phobo” - a guessing game about the various plots of Littlest Hobo was my all time fave.

Botchford seems like one of the better ones.  I also think it was him who couldn't get through a segment after Luc Bourdon died without his voice shaking.  Certainly more human than a paparazzo.

• Cheers 2

• 4 weeks later...
23 minutes ago, Blue said:

Matt Sekeres is a big upgrade on the Rink Wide post game cast. I know he has his critics but he brings up interesting narratives and it's just a higher quality show 

he invents narratives and has the most annoying voice in radio. 

a bag of hot air. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Blue said:

Matt Sekeres is a big upgrade on the Rink Wide post game cast. I know he has his critics but he brings up interesting narratives and it's just a higher quality show 

He might have interesting narratives at times... But an asshole is still an asshole.   He was kicking this team when they were down big time... Seemed to relish playing the villian.  Reminds me of Kevin Spacey... Was the best at being the villain... Well guess what, he was actually a villian in real life.  8 months ago both he and Price were pounding on the table, shouting at the top of their lungs for a full rebuild. 

Didn't age well hey?  How is that for 'interesting narratives'.

Have at'r Blue.  

Honestly, aside from the chemistry and humour Donnie & Dhali have, I don't really find any of the Vancouver media members interesting. At best, I'll tune in when they bring on interesting guests. 

I've found myself listening more to podcasts that cover the sport on a league-wide basis. 32 Thoughts, Ray & Dregs, etc. They bring out more objective perspectives on the Canucks and the NHL in general. Yes, they do tend to talk about the Leafs to an excruciating degree, but luckily, it's easy to skip those parts when listening to them in podcast format. 

Heck, I even listen to Steve Dangle's podcast. Just skip the first hour where he talks about the Leafs and I'm good to go. 

• Vintage 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/10/2023 at 12:48 PM, Grandmaster said:

Love: Sat, Nazzar, Imac, Riccio, Halford & Brough

Hate: Drance, Dodd, Sekeres, Donnie (used to love Donnie but he has become a miserable old man)

I tolerate the rest.

Donnie was always upbeat and not negative about anything. But he slowly turned on the Canucks ownership after Linden left. He felt ownership and Benning did Linden dirty. And then he piled on when ownership cocked up the Green and Benning firing which resulted in Boudreau gate. 

And now he's channeling Dan Russell all the time. 

• Vintage 1

• 2 weeks later...

Mike Gillis on S and P. I thought he did a decent job as GM but I wasn't a fan of his personality. He really looks like he's settling in as some academic hipster. It comes on slowly and gets better towards the half and end. He really throws Torterella under the bus

Edited by Blue

On 10/12/2023 at 3:41 PM, Blue said:

I checked for an existing thread. If there is , just merge it.

Anyway in the podcast world, Andrew Wadden has been replaced by Matt Sekeres on the Rink Wide post game show with Jeff Paterson. I know big Matt has his share of critics. But he's more of a known quantity than Wadden was and Sekeres and Paterson should make a decent show. I like the change but Andrew was fine too. 

https://www.rinkwidevancouver.com/

Sorry Blue, but imo they all suck a$$, I'd trade them for a bag of pucks and get a lot more use out them! 

Seriously, nit picking, whining lil bitches chasing clickbait stories of one upmanship.

Might be a good idea to raise the bar like about 10 feet, maybe more! 

I can't even believe anyone thinks anything but useless, 1 or 2 stories out of 50 things they come up with are worth reading... I've described them as bush league for the last 30 years and nothing has changed but the names, spell it out? Sure, JT Miller.. bad trade!!! Pfffffttt whatever..  lol  we sure got fleeced according to them, NOT! 

• 2 weeks later...