What’s for dinner/cooking?

Barnstorm

1 minute ago, Barnstorm said:

You’re right. I get used to buying budget stuff which really is no match for good quality. 

It's actually well priced. They have some fantastic frozen dishes as well.

Cioffi's is the place to go in Burnaby.

Santa Barbara on commercial.

My wife is Italian so this is must know stuff for me.

• Cheers 2

@Barnstorm Sent me a PM asking for an authentic Swedish meatballs recipe. Your friendly neighborhood Swede is here to help. Thanks for making me aware of this thread! 

Meatballs is a common week night dinner in Sweden but it can also be enjoyed as an indulgent dinner or lunch at a restaurant. The love is for real. It's something we are proud of and it's genuinely loved by most if not all Swedes. It's just a perfect plate of food when done right.  

This is one the best authentic recipes on the internet. A lot of whats available in English I've seen over the years are weird versions of it. Not really sure why that is but I guess it's one of those dishes that everyone feels like their own grandma knows best. What you get at IKEA is truly the airplane food version of it. 

One big omission she does is not adding onion to the meatball mix. That is an absolute must and I highly recommend adding one chopped and sautéed yellow onion. Brings more flavor and a sweetness that balances really well. My mouth is watering as I'm typing. 

- Make small meatballs, should be much smaller than an Italian meatball

- Sauteed onion in the meatball mix

- My grandpas rule: 40 turns on the peppermill for the meatball mix

- Brown your meatballs in butter and make a pan sauce with cream and veal stock

- Butter and cream are the staples of Swedish food, don't hold back

- The dish is always served with "pressed cucumber" - Recipe (translated to english): https://www-ica-se.translate.goog/recept/pressgurka-5070/?_x_tr_sl=sv&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=en&_x_tr_pto=wapp

- IKEA stocks swedish food products, at least across Europe - I presume you would be able to find lingon berry jam at your local IKEA in Canada as well.

I'm having a dinner party on saturday. Might have to come in here and post some pics. I'm quite the food nerd. 

Edited by DeltaSwede
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

@DeltaSwede

Thank you for your detailed PM and great contribution to our cooking thread. 

You’ve answered many of the specific questions I had regarding Swedish Meatballs, something I’ve never cooked. 

It will be a few days before I put it all

together however I’ll be sure to share the results here. 

Thanks again DeltaSwede, look forward to seeing more from you here.

Edited by Barnstorm
Share not scare . Lol.
  • ThereItIs 1

On 12/8/2023 at 4:06 AM, DeltaSwede said:

@Barnstorm Sent me a PM asking for an authentic Swedish meatballs recipe. Your friendly neighborhood Swede is here to help. Thanks for making me aware of this thread! 

Meatballs is a common week night dinner in Sweden but it can also be enjoyed as an indulgent dinner or lunch at a restaurant. The love is for real. It's something we are proud of and it's genuinely loved by most if not all Swedes. It's just a perfect plate of food when done right.  

This is one the best authentic recipes on the internet. A lot of whats available in English I've seen over the years are weird versions of it. Not really sure why that is but I guess it's one of those dishes that everyone feels like their own grandma knows best. What you get at IKEA is truly the airplane food version of it. 

One big omission she does is not adding onion to the meatball mix. That is an absolute must and I highly recommend adding one chopped and sautéed yellow onion. Brings more flavor and a sweetness that balances really well. My mouth is watering as I'm typing. 

- Make small meatballs, should be much smaller than an Italian meatball

- Sauteed onion in the meatball mix

- My grandpas rule: 40 turns on the peppermill for the meatball mix

- Brown your meatballs in butter and make a pan sauce with cream and veal stock

- Butter and cream are the staples of Swedish food, don't hold back

- The dish is always served with "pressed cucumber" - Recipe (translated to english): https://www-ica-se.translate.goog/recept/pressgurka-5070/?_x_tr_sl=sv&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=en&_x_tr_pto=wapp

- IKEA stocks swedish food products, at least across Europe - I presume you would be able to find lingon berry jam at your local IKEA in Canada as well.

I'm having a dinner party on saturday. Might have to come in here and post some pics. I'm quite the food nerd. 

If you don't mind, I was already planning on making this my 'first' feature player dish for my Canuck YouTube channel. I'd love to be able to give you credit in the video instead of a random google recipe!

@Barnstorm Will already have his attempt cooked before my vid even drops! Looks unreal, hoping mine looks just as good! (I can't seem to find lingonberry, so was going to just get normal cranberry sauce lol)

6 minutes ago, diesel_3 said:

If you don't mind, I was already planning on making this my 'first' feature player dish for my Canuck YouTube channel. I'd love to be able to give you credit in the video instead of a random google recipe!

@Barnstorm Will already have his attempt cooked before my vid even drops! Looks unreal, hoping mine looks just as good! (I can't seem to find lingonberry, so was going to just get normal cranberry sauce lol)

Haha that's awesome! 

Lingonberry is probably tricky to find. Specialty Swedish store or Ikea would be your best bet. Cranberry sauce is a decent substitute but not exactly the same. Close enough. 

I'll try to do my best with conversions. 

Here's my recipe for roughly 30 meatballs:
250g ground pork

250g ground veal or lean beef

1 medium sized yellow onion
1 cup cream/milk (mix - like half&half)

1 egg

0.5 cup breadcrumbs - I usually opt for Panko (I like quite a lot of breadcrumbs as it makes for a softer meatball)

Butter for frying

Salt to taste

40 turns on the pepper grinder

Pinch or two of allspice

Butter for frying

1. Mix your breadcrumbs in a large bowl with your egg and half&half and let it soak. While it is soaking, finely chop one yellow onion and sauté it in a pan with butter until slightly golden and soft. Either let the onion cool in the pan or on a plate before adding it to your meatball mix.

2. Mix your ground pork and ground veal or beef with your soaked breadcrumbs. Add your now cooled sautéed onion, salt, pepper (40 turns on the mill) and allspice. Mix all the ingredients until well combined. Can do this a few hours before to let the flavors marinate and the mixture to firm up a little in the fridge. 

2a. To taste for salt either take a little taste of the mixture with a spoon or your finger (you won't die), or fry up a small piece in a pan. Adjust seasoning accordingly. 

3. Shape your meatballs. A tip is to wet your hands with cold water to avoid the mixture sticking to your hands. Roll them to be slightly smaller than a golf ball. You can drop them on a plate of flour to avoid them sticking to a surface while you're rolling the rest. 

4. Pan fry your meatballs in a lot of butter until golden brown on the outside. 

Now, Barnstorm served it with pasta, we also eat it with pasta sometimes! It's really good with the cream sauce. I like mixing it with lingon berry jam as well which probably makes every Italian grandmother cry. 

The traditional way to serve Swedish meatballs is with mashed potatoes, a cream gravy, lingon berry (or cranberry sauce for you in Canada) and pressed cucumber (quick pickle). 

Cream gravy or brown sauce:

50% cream, 50% veal stock, cooked until thick and creamy

Pepper, salt (if needed) and some allspice

Add cream to the pan you fried your meatballs in and then add veal stock. I usually opt for stock concentrate as I then don't have to spend so much time boiling water off the sauce. Can also use a stock cube for instance. Cook until you can drag your finger across the back of a spoon and it makes a clear line. Thiccccc. 

Pressed cucumber/Quick pickled cucumber

Cucumber, white vinegar, white pepper, parsley, sugar, salt

1. Thinly slice cucumber, use a mandolin if you have one, put into a bowl

2. Add salt to your slices of cucumber, mix well, add a plate on top as a weight, let your cucumbers be "pressed" and wilt for 20-30 mins.

3. Make a pickle brine with white vinegar, sugar, parsley, white pepper and salt. (equal parts white vinegar and sugar, so roughly 2tbsp vinegar, 2tbsp sugar)

4. Pour off the excess water from the cucumbers that have now been "pressed" for 20-30 mins, add your pickle brine to the bowl of cucumbers
5. Let sit for 1-2 hours in a jar or bowl before serving

You could just use your favorite store bought sweet pickle! Won't be exactly the same, but close enough. 

image.thumb.png.e466e0091580c2235407ecb55b6cc7a6.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, diesel_3 said:

^^ Thank you so much!

It will be the first video + first 'fan submitted' even though I just stumbled across the post, i'll still give you a shoutout!

Love it!

I used a rue to make my sauce. 
That’s butter melted in the pan which you browned the meatballs in and flour gradually added until it forms a thick paste. 

Then I added beef stock ( had to substitute beef for veal although they are almost the same, young vs older) heavy cream and seasonings; salt , pepper, allspice. 

Medium heat until it starts to thicken ( low boil) then reduce heat and continue to thicken. I added meatballs for last 5 minutes just to bring them

up to temp. 

I also refrigerated my meatballs for several hours prior to searing/ browning in hot oil. This helped keep them in nice ball forms. Once browned well I again put in fridge while prepping sauce and pasta. 

Like @DeltaSwede said, cream with the breadcrumbs is important to give the meatballs a really smooth soft texture. lastly, everything needs to be finely ground and chopped. Onions, meat and crumbs all fine. Makes a tender and soft meatball that holds together well. My taste buds might be less sensitive after years of hot peppers however I recommend not being shy with the ground allspice, 

• Like 1

A couple of friends and I have a dinner party every so often. My turn was this past Saturday. Menu was a cross between north of Sweden and Italy. 

Vitello (Moose) Tonnato for appies.

Wild mushroom risotto for main.

Waffle with vanilla ice cream and cloud berry jam for dessert. 
Also made some brown butter to go with some awesome bread I bought. Bought some olives and marcona almonds for us to snack on as well. 

Went for a Cortese wine for the app and a Barbera wine for the risotto. Both from Piemonte. I’d say it was a success! 

IMG_0874.thumb.jpeg.2380a6634282c49bf54f3d427fc44e2f.jpegIMG_0877.thumb.jpeg.26302da1a44eb44ab098e7b2b6a9eed8.jpegIMG_0879.thumb.jpeg.3166df024ba1a949c6f9b0d8b0ad58d0.jpeg

Edited by DeltaSwede
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, DeltaSwede said:

A couple of friends and I have a dinner party every so often. My turn was this past Saturday. Menu was a cross between north of Sweden and Italy. 

Vitello (Moose) Tonnato for appies.

Wild mushroom risotto for main.

Waffle with vanilla ice cream and cloud berry jam for dessert. 
Also made some brown butter to go with some awesome bread I bought. Bought some olives and marcona almonds for us to snack on as well. 

Went for a Cortese wine for the app and a Barbera wine for the risotto. Both from Piemonte. I’d say it was a success! 

IMG_0874.thumb.jpeg.2380a6634282c49bf54f3d427fc44e2f.jpegIMG_0877.thumb.jpeg.26302da1a44eb44ab098e7b2b6a9eed8.jpegIMG_0879.thumb.jpeg.3166df024ba1a949c6f9b0d8b0ad58d0.jpeg

It looks like 5 star hotel servings. 
Moose cooked to perfection. 

Is moose meat sold commercially in Sweden or it only harvested privately via hunting?

42 minutes ago, Barnstorm said:

It looks like 5 star hotel servings. 
Moose cooked to perfection. 

Is moose meat sold commercially in Sweden or it only harvested privately via hunting?

Thanks! Great boost for the old ego! 

Both i'd say. I've seen it in well stocked super markets. It's not as common as you'd think. My guests had never tried it before, well two of them when I made them stew a while back. I just happen to come from a family of hunters so I've always got some moose in the freezer 🙂 

One thing that's more common to find in the freezer section in super markets is thinly sliced reindeer meat. Quite similar recipe/ingredients to Swedish meatballs. Pan fried with onion and then you make a cream+veal stock sauce (just like for the meatballs). Served with mashed potatoes or rice.. and of course, lingon berry jam. Good stuff. 

• Thanks 1

Moose is only available by way of hunting in Canada.

One of my favourite meat sources, that and elk. 

Numbers are  in serious decline, particularly in BC, due to habitat loss, roads cut into every last range, predators, poaching and tick infestations. Open seasons steadily becoming shorter and more restrictive annually. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Barnstorm said:

Moose is only available by way of hunting in Canada.

One of my favourite meat sources, that and elk. 

Numbers are  in serious decline, particularly in BC, due to habitat loss, roads cut into every last range, predators, poaching and tick infestations. Open seasons steadily becoming shorter and more restrictive annually. 

Way back in the summer of 1980 myself and 2 friends went to Fort Nelson to find work as someone on our residence floor at Uvic lived there.

We ate moose and reindeer steaks with him.

Edited by The Arrogant Worms
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

22 hours ago, Barnstorm said:

Swedish meatballs. Recipe and hints courtesy of @DeltaSwede.  Thanks!

IMG_9105.thumb.jpeg.a951e8419d8951468d6cd09a709ee906.jpeg

Allspice and finely chopped onions really made these exceptional. Recommend trying the recipe DS posted. Great cold weather and heart warming meal.  

My Grandmother on my Dad's side came over from Sweden.  She gave my Mom a great recipe for Swedish meatballs.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

Not exactly traditional but made potato, Ramano, and bacon pierogies with a fried andouille sausage. I would usually use a polish or Ukrainian sausage. But I had this on hand. Usually make 4 servings...... made 4 because of force of habit. This one's for you grandma!!!!!👆

20231213_192740.jpg

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

On 12/13/2023 at 5:25 PM, The Arrogant Worms said:

Way back in the summer of 1980 myself and 2 friends went to Fort Nelson to find work as someone on our residence floor at Uvic lived there.

We ate moose and reindeer steaks with him.

Beautiful area, especially back then. 
IiRC @-dlc- was up there back then.

• Like 1

On 12/15/2023 at 12:15 AM, Barnstorm said:

Beautiful area, especially back then. 
IiRC @-dlc- was up there back then.

Absolutely!

I grew up in Mackenzie, 2 hours north of PG and grew up playing hockey and hunting in all of the northern BC areas. Mutant sized Moose in that country! Mostly had to eat what we hunted because steaks were so damn expensive at the grocery stores.

1 hour ago, diesel_3 said:

Absolutely!

I grew up in Mackenzie, 2 hours north of PG and grew up playing hockey and hunting in all of the northern BC areas. Mutant sized Moose in that country! Mostly had to eat what we hunted because steaks were so damn expensive at the grocery stores.

That’s so cool. What a great place to spend your youth. We probably appreciate it more looking back as we get older. We pulled a few moose out of Nations Lake/ Mt. Milligan area over the years. Crazy blueberry patches in there , had to really watch the bears though. Nasty rock on the roads, always 2 spares and patch kits as tires got chewed up. 

2 hours ago, Barnstorm said:

That’s so cool. What a great place to spend your youth. We probably appreciate it more looking back as we get older. We pulled a few moose out of Nations Lake/ Mt. Milligan area over the years. Crazy blueberry patches in there , had to really watch the bears though. Nasty rock on the roads, always 2 spares and patch kits as tires got chewed up. 

At the time we pissed and moaned about not having much to do, but I'd love that freedom now! I lived on the southern part of town, golf course behind our house and could leave from our front yard on quad or snowmobile depending on time of year. Endless amounts of logging and service roads you could explore, there were 5-10 lakes for ice fishing within an hours drive. 

Oh ya! Always slow going driving on the bumpy dirt roads. But that's where I learned to drive Dads truck out of the bush when I was 12 because he would be too plastered. A couple times with my step dad we'd come out of the bush and a bear would be between us and the truck. So we'd sit in the bush with a snack and drink and wait a bit. Just normal parts of life up there! Built character!