Pointless facts about yourself

Roberts

4 hours ago, 4petesake said:

I haven’t had a cell phone for 5 years now.

I don’t miss it at all.

Not a chance I could or would do that.

Car brakes down....what do you do?

Have a health emergency and can't get to landline?

Need to call 911?

I text with my son a few times everyday.  And my lifelong friends who live elsewhere.

• Cheers 2

46 minutes ago, The Arrogant Worms said:

Not a chance I could or would do that.

Car brakes down....what do you do?

Have a health emergency and can't get to landline?

Need to call 911?

I text with my son a few times everyday.  And my lifelong friends who live elsewhere.

I get it and it wouldn’t work for most people so I’m not recommending it. When I retired I kept getting calls from customers, associates and co-workers about business so I gradually stopped having it with me. One day my wife asked what  I was keeping it it for and I couldn’t think of a reason.

Full disclosure my wife of 44 years and I are best friends and spend 95% of our time together. She always has her phone so I’m not without access for all the things you describe and all the important people in my life can reach me.

The reason I mentioned it here is one of my neighbors wanted my # for emergencies and after  I gave him my landline he asked for my cell #. He looked at me like I had 3 heads when I told him I didn’t have one so I know it’s rare and an oddity 

• Cheers 3

I have a clean driving record.

33 years.

I have driven more than most people in my time. Daily driver in Vancouver DT and area for over 20 years. 6 Canadian tours and 3 US in my band days ( 1 of 3 drivers). Plus multiple vacations where I have rented cars, including the homeland where everything is on the wrong side!

Edited by bishopshodan
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

On 11/16/2023 at 5:07 PM, 4petesake said:

I get it and it wouldn’t work for most people so I’m not recommending it. When I retired I kept getting calls from customers, associates and co-workers about business so I gradually stopped having it with me. One day my wife asked what  I was keeping it it for and I couldn’t think of a reason.

Full disclosure my wife of 44 years and I are best friends and spend 95% of our time together. She always has her phone so I’m not without access for all the things you describe and all the important people in my life can reach me.

The reason I mentioned it here is one of my neighbors wanted my # for emergencies and after  I gave him my landline he asked for my cell #. He looked at me like I had 3 heads when I told him I didn’t have one so I know it’s rare and an oddity 

The only reasons I have a cell phone is in case of emergency and I do use the internet on it, however no family or friends text me ever so yeah basically just an emergency device for me since no one really cares about me.

• Cheers 1

On 11/16/2023 at 5:07 PM, 4petesake said:

Full disclosure my wife of 44 years and I are best friends and spend 95% of our time together.

That's like my wife and I too.

23 years married for us.

Love that you dont use a cell. I think I might do that also one day.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

18 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

I have a clean driving record.

33 years.

I have driven more than most people in my time. Daily driver in Vancouver DT and area for over 20 years. 6 Canadain tours and 3 US in my band days ( 1 of 3 drivers). Plus multiple vacations where I have rented cars, including the homeland where everything is on the wrong side!

Don't jinx it!

Pointless fact: I turn my phone off when I'm fishing, hiking or golfing. 

• ThereItIs 1

With the proliferation of online ordering sites for take-out, I'll only order online take-out from places that allow me to place an order with the option to pay cash in person.  Otherwise, I'll call the restaurant instead, so that I can pay in cash when I get there.

Whether or not I do pay in cash is another matter (that's my prerogative), but I don't like sharing my credit card details online for something as trivial as a food order.  Call me paranoid, but I feel it's the easiest way to get my credit card number and other credit card details snooped.

Edited by 6of1_halfdozenofother

Went on the deck last night. About 5 feet away, sitting on a fence of a little garden area we have was a huge, mostly white owl.

Was kinda freaky being so close to it. I got a good look until my keen ass dog wondered what I was staring at and gave it enough of a spook for it to fly away.

So, speaking of spook...I am convinced that a few people, that think they have seen ghosts or spirits simply had a big owl fly by. 

It took off without a sound, no noise at all from it's massive flapping wings...it was like a big silent white blur. 

I am around a lot of wild life and have seen many owls but this time I got a sense of how deadly and fantasy-like these dude are.  Poor bunnies dont have a chance, middle of the night... silent death from above.

Now, ravens...those guys flap away with loud whooshes, they dont have the high end tech in their wings like the mighty owl. 

Edited by bishopshodan
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, bishopshodan said:

Went on the deck last night. About 5 feet away, sitting on a fence of a little garden area we have was a huge, mostly white owl.

Was kinda freaky being so close to it. I got a good look until my keen ass dog wondered what I was staring at and gave it enough of a spook for it to fly away.

So, speaking of spook...I am convinced that a few people, that think they have seen ghosts or spirits simply had a big owl fly by. 

It took off without a sound, no noise at all from it's massive flapping wings...it was like a big silent white blur. 

I am around a lot of wild life and have seen many owls but this time I got a sense of how deadly and fantasy-like these dude are.  Poor bunnies dont have a chance, middle of the night... silent death from above.

Now, ravens...those guys flap away with loud whooshes, they dont have the high end tech in their wings like the mighty owl. 

Owl visitations have all kinds of lore in the realms of spirituality, mysticism etc. 

A while back, I had an owl visit me a few days in a row. It was really strange because I'd never seen an owl previous to these visits, or ever since. Heard them? Yes. Seen one up close and personal? No.

This fellas was not shy, must've flown about 1ft over my head on our first encounter, I felt its wind before he turned and took perch on the banister of my deck. I stood there kinda shocked and we stared at each other for a few seconds before it turned and flew up into the cedars. He was out there for a couple days, casually making himself seen whenever I'd go out to smoke a joint in the evening.

It felt intentional, like he was trying to tell me something. 

• Cheers 1

5 hours ago, luckylager said:

Owl visitations have all kinds of lore in the realms of spirituality, mysticism etc. 

A while back, I had an owl visit me a few days in a row. It was really strange because I'd never seen an owl previous to these visits, or ever since. Heard them? Yes. Seen one up close and personal? No.

This fellas was not shy, must've flown about 1ft over my head on our first encounter, I felt its wind before he turned and took perch on the banister of my deck. I stood there kinda shocked and we stared at each other for a few seconds before it turned and flew up into the cedars. He was out there for a couple days, casually making himself seen whenever I'd go out to smoke a joint in the evening.

It felt intentional, like he was trying to tell me something. 

OK, now I am interested.

This white owl was looking dead at me for while, until Tess came over. 

It did have a mystical feeling and now your story has reminded me of one of my first memories in Canada. I was about 8years old.

I was on the phone looking out a window, just like last night it took me a moment to realise I was staring right at a massive white owl. One that was staring right back at me.

The lady I was taking to on the phone was my neighbour, an older lady that I was talking to about meeting up to play with her son. I told her about the owl and she immediately said it was important. She said it mattered and meant something.

I can't remember what it was she said it meant. Do you know what white owls in specific might mean? 

I dont think of my self as very spiritual but these experiences seem different and I dont know why. 

Edited by bishopshodan
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

OK, now I am interested.

This white owl was looking at dead at me for while, until Tess came over. 

It did have a mystical feeling and now your story has reminded me of one of my first memories in Canada. I was about 8years old.

I was on the phone looking out a window, just like last night it took me a moment to realise I was staring right at a massive white owl. One that was staring right back at me.

The lady I was taking to on the phone was my neighbour, an older lady that I was talking to about meeting up to play with her son. I told her about the owl and she immediately said it was important. She said it mattered and meant something.

I can't remember what it was she said it meant. Do you know what white owls in specific might mean? 

I dont think of my self as very spiritual but these experiences seem different and I dont know why. 

I'm trying to determine if this is an example of why one:

- should smoke weed

- should not smoke weed

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

OK, now I am interested.

This white owl was looking at dead at me for while, until Tess came over. 

Imo with all things spiritual, or symbolic, whether or not you truly believe in them, doesn't change the fact it exists.

We can choose to ignore these messengers, or look for the meaning of their visit 

Symbolically owls represent wisdom, truth, secrets, knowledge. Often an illuminating force on something hidden, finding their prey in the dead of night.

I figured out what my visits meant to me.. I think.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Shift-4 said:

I'm trying to determine if this is an example of why one:

- should smoke weed

- should not smoke weed

Haha, Well that is what we went on the deck for but we had not sparked yet.

And I can assure you that I was not partaking when I was 8.

So I would say, you should split the difference and have a mild edible

10 minutes ago, luckylager said:

Imo with all things spiritual, or symbolic, whether or not you truly believe in them, doesn't change the fact it exists.

We can choose to ignore these messengers, or look for the meaning of their visit 

Symbolically owls represent wisdom, truth, secrets, knowledge. Often an illuminating force on something hidden, finding their prey in the dead of night.

I figured out what my visits meant to me.. I think.

Wise words my friend.

I am going through some changes lately. I am focusing on kinda calling myself out. I dont know if I am becoming the man i thought I would be, in fact I feel like I know less and less as time goes by. These days time is going by too fast too. Days pass like hours and years seem to slip away. I feel like I still have so much to learn and I haven't scratched the surface of this damn existence. Maybe these owl visits are something I can lean into, let myself let go of my expectations and beliefs. Embrace the ideas that things could be so much more. 

Thank you.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

Haha, Well that is what we went on the deck for but we had not sparked yet.

And I can assure you that I was not partaking when I was 8.

So I would say, you should split the difference and have a mild edible

Wise words my friend.

I am going through some changes lately. I am focusing on kinda calling myself out. I dont know if I am becoming the man i thought I would be, in fact I feel like I know less and less as time goes by. These days time is going by too fast too. Days pass like hours and years seem to slip away. I feel like I still have so much to learn and I haven't scratched the surface of this damn existence. Maybe these owl visits are something I can lean into, let myself let go of my expectations and beliefs. Embrace the ideas that things could be so much more. 

Thank you.

Fuck that's cool. Would seem the owl is checking in to help illuminate the path, so to speak. 

You're currently on a path of self exploration, personal growth, and in the midst of this journey you're visited by the Owl.

What a fantastic omen. That's super cool

• Like 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

2 hours ago, bishopshodan said:

in fact I feel like I know less and less as time goes by.

I think this is a natural progression of someone who seeks enlightenment.  At least, that's what it seems to be for me.

The more one becomes exposed to, the more they realize that there's so much more out there.  Curiosity usually helps us to realize that the more we think we knew, the smaller the fraction becomes as we learn more about the true size of the denominator.

Nothing to feel ashamed about.  👍

• Huggy Bear 1