Pointless facts about yourself

Roberts

2 hours ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

I have @Wilbur beat - I'm much older than 43, and I have yet to watch The Princess Bride.  Same same, haven't been avoiding it, just never encountered it.  And I watched a shitload of TV (particularly movie channels when there was no sports) over the years, too.  :classic_ninja:

I think I may watch it with my 11 year old soon. 

@bishopshodanI most of the Monty Python movies .  My 11 year old will get a kick out of them, but I'll probably wait about 2 more years for the Holy Grail and Life of Brian. 

• Cheers 1

On 10/13/2023 at 1:11 AM, Roberts said:

Welcome to the pointless facts thread! Post a pointless fact about yourself in this thread! It can be something that happened to you today, or just a super meaningless fact, as long as it's something involving you. It can be funny, but please try to keep it clean!

I will start things off!

I went ice skating yesterday and there was a song that played on the radio on my way to the rink, and then again at the rink while I was skating.

Pointless fact about me:  I am irrelevant, and I like it this way.

2 hours ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

I will say though that if you have 50 or so hours to burn, and don't mind that the dialogue is in Cantonese, this is a damn fine series to watch in its entirety (about 59-60 episodes):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Legend_of_the_Condor_Heroes_(1983_TV_series)

It's an adaptation of a Louis Cha novel, with the breakout of Genghis Khan interested in attacking the Sung dynasty as the era setting, with other previous and subsequent movie and television adaptations - and in my humble opinion, none of which match the story-telling, scene-making, and acting of this specific TV series.

The only thing that comes across as a bit cheezy is the "graphics" they use to convey special moves.  But, it's period-appropriate for when it was made (in fact, a bit ground-breaking for its time, before computers really took over the special effects).

I have seen a bunch of the re-makes and stuff, but not this particular one. 

2 hours ago, Bob Long said:

Me too. I don't even know what the movie is about.

Oh and I fell asleep during lord of the rings. 

Same. 

😱 (LOTR)

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

princess-mostly-dead.gif.cbf0d8418413b9f42499415f3e115631.gif

It's end of semester crunch, mostly dead is probably accurate

1 minute ago, luckylager said:

What about Strange Brew?

Uhhh, don't think so, had to look that one up 

I saw some stuff with Moranis in it as a kid but I don't think that was one of them 

• Huggy Bear 1

2 minutes ago, Psylocke said:

Wait, I just realized it might've seemed like I meant I also fell asleep watching LOTR. But to clarify, I loved LOTR. The "same" comment was for not knowing what The Princess Bride was about. 😅

I definitely can't make it through any of LOTR or Hobbit movies without falling asleep.

Great stories though.

• ThereItIs 1

14 minutes ago, luckylager said:

I definitely can't make it through any of LOTR or Hobbit movies without falling asleep.

Great stories though.

I loved them and have re-watched them a couple times (and planning to watch them again (extended version), but I can see how/why someone would find them too long or slow or whatever. 

3 hours ago, bishopshodan said:

Damn people, watch the movie.

Now, If someone comes in here and claims they havent seen Monty Python and the Holy Grail

Thats it, thats where I draw the line!

I didn't watch MPHG from front to back until after my university years.  Took me a while to find a copy of it too.  I had seen snippets of it during university, and my classmates loved quoting from it, but I think it was about a year or two after I'd completed university, sitting around in my Fraternity house when I finally gave it the once through.  And then everything made sense.  :hurhur:

2 hours ago, Wilbur said:

I think I may watch it with my 11 year old soon. 

I won't be going out of my way to search for it, but if a future broadcast does happen to appear while I'm searching for hockey games to record, I might PVR it and watch it then.

• Cheers 1