Pointless facts about yourself

Roberts

2 hours ago, Psylocke said:

I have seen a bunch of the re-makes and stuff, but not this particular one. 

Do it!  It's worth the 50+ hours of viewing.  At least in my humble opinion.  

It's too bad the main actress (Barbara Yung Mei-Ling) passed away so young, she was very talented and would have had a very fruitful career if she'd stayed alive even for another 5 years.  The main actor (Felix Wong Yat-Wah) did a very good job of portraying a goofy naive fuck, but in real life he's actually quite intelligent (and can be quite outspoken).

• Cheers 1

Just now, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

Do it!  It's worth the 50+ hours of viewing.  At least in my humble opinion.  

It's too bad the main actress (Barbara Yung Mei-Ling) passed away so young, she was very talented and would have had a very fruitful career if she'd stayed alive even for another 5 years.  The main actor (Felix Wong Yat-Wah) did a very good job of portraying a goofy naive fuck, but in real life he's actually quite intelligent (and can be quite outspoken).

I've heard of Barbara Yung, mostly because of her death. Have watched some of Felix Wong's other stuff, and yes, he was a good actor.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Psylocke said:

I loved them and have re-watched them a couple times (and planning to watch them again (extended version), but I can see how/why someone would find them too long or slow or whatever. 

My boy wanted to watch the trilogy with me, and kind of did. I made it about 90 minutes into each movie before falling asleep.

*I've seen them all previously, but I assume they were all "two parters"

I actually fell asleep in the theater watching the 1st hobbit

Edited by luckylager
  • Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, luckylager said:

My boy wanted to watch the trilogy with me, and kind of did. I made it about 90 minutes into each movie before falling asleep.

*I've seen them all previously, but I assume they were all "two parters"

I actually fell asleep in the theater watching the 1st hobbit

Here's a related pointless fact about me: The Hobbit was the only assigned book in secondary school that I never finished. Absolutely could not get into it. But I liked the movie a lot (although I don't think it really needed to be split into three parts for the movie). 

1 minute ago, Psylocke said:

Here's a related pointless fact about me: The Hobbit was the only assigned book in secondary school that I never finished. Absolutely could not get into it. But I liked the movie a lot (although I don't think it really needed to be split into three parts for the movie). 

SECONDARY!?

WAY BACK WHEN I WAS IN SCHOOL WE DID THE HOBBIT IN GRADE 6.

THINGS WERE HARDER THEN! 

KIDS THESE DAYS HAVE IT TOO EASY

1 minute ago, luckylager said:

SECONDARY!?

WAY BACK WHEN I WAS IN SCHOOL WE DID THE HOBBIT IN GRADE 6.

THINGS WERE HARDER THEN! 

KIDS THESE DAYS HAVE IT TOO EASY

🤣 It was a long time ago, but I'm pretty sure it was assigned to us in Grade 8. 

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Psylocke said:

But I liked the movie a lot (although I don't think it really needed to be split into three parts for the movie). 

It didn't.  I think they just wanted symmetry (and $$$) from it.  I mean, look at the difference in thickness between The Hobbit and any one of the three books from Lord of the Rings.  While they had to compress compress compress to get each "book" of LotR on the silver screen, the Hobbit (movie) suffered from bloat and having to appropriate material from the Silmarillion to expand it out to become a trilogy.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

It didn't.  I think they just wanted symmetry (and $$$) from it.  I mean, look at the difference in thickness between The Hobbit and any one of the three books from Lord of the Rings.  While they had to compress compress compress to get each "book" of LotR on the silver screen, the Hobbit (movie) suffered from bloat and having to appropriate material from the Silmarillion to expand it out to become a trilogy.

Definitely was because of money 😂

• ThereItIs 1

1 hour ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

I think they may have made a billion dollar mistake with LotR.

LotR has three parts to it.  But each part is comprised of two books.  So there are actually six books to the story.  Had they made a moderate length (two hours, give or take) movie from each 'book' they would have had six movies rather than three.  And doubled their revenue.   

• Haha 1
  • Vintage 1

On 11/30/2023 at 5:57 PM, UnkNuk said:

I think they may have made a billion dollar mistake with LotR.

LotR has three parts to it.  But each part is comprised of two books.  So there are actually six books to the story.  Had they made a moderate length (two hours, give or take) movie from each 'book' they would have had six movies rather than three.  And doubled their revenue.   

There are 3 books comprising the trilogy.

The Fellowship of the Ring

The Two Towers

The Return of the King

If you know of three more please share the titles as I’d like to read them. 

1 hour ago, Barnstorm said:

There are 3 books comprising the trilogy.

The Fellowship of the Ring

The Two Towers

The Return of the King

If you know of three more please share the titles as I’d like to read them. 

We may be getting into terminological difficulties here.

The edition I read was the "authorized edition of the famous fantasy trilogy".  The first one was "Part One  The Fellowship of the Ring".  That first part was divided into Book I and Book II.  

The second one was "Part Two The Two Towers".  And it was divided into Book III and Book IV.

And the third one was "Part Three The Return of the King".  And it was divided into Book V and Book VI.

Thus we have three parts and six books.

Edited by UnkNuk

24 minutes ago, UnkNuk said:

The edition I read was the "authorized edition of the famous fantasy trilogy".  The first one was "Part One  The Fellowship of the Ring".  That first part was divided into Book I and Book II.  

The second one was "Part Two The Two Towers".  And it was divided into Book III and Book IV.

And the third one was "Part Three The Return of the King".  And it was divided into Book V and Book VI.

God it's even putting me to sleep having the number of books explained.

• Haha 1
  • ThereItIs 1

9 hours ago, UnkNuk said:

Thanks. I didn’t realize the story was 3 volumes further divided into 6 books. All the copies I ever read were just the 3 volumes.

On a side note, Harvey Weinstein (convicted rapist) was the initial producer and financier for the movie along with Miramax. He insisted the film be completed in just two segments while Jackson said 3. 

Eventually Jackson found another sponsor who agreed to 3 movies. Relations with that pig Weinstein had become so strained that Jackson said eff you and  had his fx crew design the most prominent and ugliest orc in the films to look like Weinstein. 

Morgoth was the resulting face and will forever be a middle finger to Weinstein. Even in the rolling credits Weinstein is linked to an orc. 

IMG_9067.jpeg.1c3d131f63470bad59d0f0e9dc36e99c.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1