Canucks fishing for Big D man…Pesce ?

https://canucksarmy.com/news/amp/nhl-mock-trade-canucks-trade-nils-hoglander-brett-pesce

moving Brett Pesce talk here ?

to me this is a big piece Canucks need 

Hughes - Pesce 

Cole - Hronek 

Soucy - Myers then Bear 

best top pair in league 

best top 3 d in league 

possibly best top 4 in league 

• Confused 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

As training camp looms, Carolina Hurricanes roll dice on expiring contracts for big names

Luke DeCock
Fri, September 15, 2023 at 7:38 AM PDT·3 min read
6b4fd99b6a21cd09a8a2ceca470002fd

Robert Willett/rwillett@newsobserver.com

Brett Pesce, still here.

Brady Skjei, still here.

Teuvo Teravainen, still here.

And all without new contracts that go beyond this season.

Carolina Hurricanes owner Tom Dundon wasn’t joking last spring about going all in on this campaign. When training camp opens this week, all three players will be entering the final year of their contracts, putting the Hurricanes in a position where they risk losing them for nothing after the season.

Those matters are typically handled over the summer, either through trade or contract extension, but nothing emerged that made sense for both sides (and, Hurricanes general manager Don Waddell said, hasn’t even been discussed since July).

“We’d like to get something done but it’s not there to be done right now,” Waddell said. “We can’t force it.”

Which means the Hurricanes will roll the dice on all three in pursuit of a Stanley Cup, willing to risk anything to win everything.

Pesce and Skjei are both unquestioned top-four defensemen in the prime of their careers, the kind that can command huge contracts on a free-agent market conditioned to overpay for players like them. (Even the Hurricanes willingly overpaid for Dmitri Orlov over the summer, in return for a shorter-term contract that fit their salary-cap situation.)

If it gets to the end of the season, the Hurricanes are unlikely to be able to re-sign both, and they will have foregone the presumably strong returns either would bring in a trade. NHL teams, and the Hurricanes especially, typically hate that kind of uncertainty. For the moment, with Orlov joining the five returning defensemen, the Hurricanes have the deepest blue line in the NHL, and arguably the best top to bottom.

Teravainen is less of a gamble, since his value as a trade asset is lower given his recent history and the Hurricanes will be expecting his best in a contract year. He’s the kind of player, at 29, where it may make some sense to let him play out his contract and wish him the best elsewhere with a laurel and a hearty handshake. Sebastian Aho will get over it.

Still, in some ways, it’s all a very un-Dundon approach to contract management. Letting an asset depreciate to zero isn’t his style – and there’s certainly plenty of time, six months before the NHL trade deadline, for a resolution, one way or the other – but in this case the potential costs of being trapped in a negotiating corner at the end of the year were outweighed by the competitive benefits.

“We’re waiting to see how things go,” Waddell said, “and we’ll deal with it.”

So for all the changes over the offseason, most notably Orlov and winger Michael Bunting, the Hurricanes will still have a very familiar look, with some of their longer-serving faces returning when they could have departed: Pesce, Skjei, Teravainen and both goalies, who sniffed the free-agent market and decided to stay.

There was already a lot riding on this season – Can the Hurricanes handle the evolution from everyone’s favorite playoff sleeper to everyone’s playoff favorite and finish the job? – but until and unless those contract situations are resolved in some way, there’s even more hanging in the balance.

Which, after so many seasons with so little on the line, is actually kind of refreshing. There’s no risk in pushing all your chips into the middle of the table when you only have a handful. Bigger stakes bring bigger rewards.

https://ca.news.yahoo.com/training-camp-looms-carolina-hurricanes-143822189.html

Hurricanes blueliner Brett Pesce has switched agents, reports Chip Alexander of the Raleigh News & Observer.  After working with Edge Sports Management, the defenseman is now represented by Wasserman’s Judd Moldaver.  The timing of the change is notable since the 28-year-old is entering the final year of his contract.  Pesce has emerged as a quality top-three defender over the past few years and set a new career-high in points last season with 30.  He’s undoubtedly in line to land a sizable raise on his current $4.025MM AAV but with Brady Skjei also in need of a new deal, Carolina probably won’t be able to afford to keep both.  Pesce made it clear that his preference is to remain with the Hurricanes but earlier this summer, GM Don Waddell noted that the team wasn’t close to re-signing any of their pending UFAs.

https://www.prohockeyrumors.com/2023/09/hurricanes-notes-pesce-teravainen-deangelo.html#ref=home

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, canucks curse said:

Something like :

To VAN

pesce 

To CAR 

hogz

Myers 

2025 2nd and 3rd - changes to top 5 protected 1st if Pesce re - signs 

What does Myers provide exactly, and what does Hoglander?  The Swede's had a tough time keeping a roster spot as is, and he'll be bottom-6 there too (behind Svech - Necas - Bunting - Jarvis).  Trading a cap dump and a project for a likely big-ticket playoff rental/ possible future extension piece doesn't do much for Carolina IMO.

That said, if we're nickel-and-diming, I would see if we could trade Myers for Teravainen if they do trade Pesce and don't get a defender back.  We'd save some money, they can get a stopgap RHD.

• Cheers 1

Despite all the additions we do feel like we are still a top 2 pairings right D short. 
Same problem as always, someone to compliment Q. 
This is a hard deal for us.  Carolina is going for it legitimately and we are going for it foolishly. 
Just not sure we have the right pieces and don’t think it is the time Carolina wants to take a deal based around our first especially if we need to find a cap dump as well. 

4 hours ago, DrJockitch said:

Despite all the additions we do feel like we are still a top 2 pairings right D short. 
Same problem as always, someone to compliment Q. 
This is a hard deal for us.  Carolina is going for it legitimately and we are going for it foolishly. 
Just not sure we have the right pieces and don’t think it is the time Carolina wants to take a deal based around our first especially if we need to find a cap dump as well. 

totally agree 

From what I understand, his play has already started to decline and he will want a long term contract worth a lot of money. I’m not sure he will end up being an OEL or Myers level of an albatross, but we could end up regretting that deal in year 3 or 4 of what will probably be an 8 year deal. I say no thank you, unless he is willing to sign for under market value and I’m assuming he won’t be.

1 minute ago, Snoop Hogg said:

From what I understand, his play has already started to decline and he will want a long term contract worth a lot of money. I’m not sure he will end up being an OEL or Myers level of an albatross, but we could end up regretting that deal in year 3 or 4 of what will probably be an 8 year deal. I say no thank you, unless he is willing to sign for under market value and I’m assuming he won’t be.

Dwight Schrute False Quotes. QuotesGram

• ThereItIs 1

7 hours ago, Honkin Hronek said:

Carolina probably doesn't move Pesce for anything less than a 1st and Hogs. He would be a perfect Tanev replacement for Hughes, but I don't see it happening, especially given he only has a year left and we need to re-sign Hronek and Petey. 

Wait until Calgary is out of it and bring Tanev in for the stretch run?