Canucks fishing for Big D man…Pesce ?

I don't think it would work out having to re-sign Petey and Hronek 

We are only 2 years away from the big OEL cap hit that they will have to navigate. Also -hopefully- re signing Kuzmenko if his play continues I imagine he will want a raise

2 hours ago, Beni said:

I don't think it would work out having to re-sign Petey and Hronek 

We are only 2 years away from the big OEL cap hit that they will have to navigate. Also -hopefully- re signing Kuzmenko if his play continues I imagine he will want a raise

Overall cap increase is what mgmt is betting on to help alleviate some of the OEL buyout penalty. It’s a fair gamble. 

On 9/16/2023 at 8:22 AM, canucks curse said:

Something like :

To VAN

pesce 

To CAR 

hogz

Myers 

2025 2nd and 3rd - changes to top 5 protected 1st if Pesce re - signs 

So you want a top pairing D for a $6m cap dump, a waivers eligible forward who hasn't been able to stick with a weak team and a draft pick with conditions that were outlawed in the cba update of 2020?  Seems legit 

• Haha 1

What kind of style does Pesce play? I know he is regarded as one of if not the best defensive defenseman in the league, but what is his actual style on the ice? I haven't watched him, and am leery of if he is a Tanev type that sacrifices everything (body) to stop the goal and thus is often injured and a big risk as he ages? He doesn't have terribly low gp throughout the seasons, but he certainly isn't an ironman missing 10-20 games a year it looks like. 

I guess I am wondering if people think his playing style can allow him to play out an 8 year contract without becoming deadweight for the back 5 years. 

Guys that rely on speed worry me for quick regression, and guys that take a beating and their bodies wear down worry me for regression. Guys that play on instinct, position, strength, and intelligence seem to do well late into their 30's for defenders. 

If the answer to this is no, then we have to stay away. We aren't close enough to justify the risk and get back into an anchor contract.

If the answer is yes than we need to make a move and lock down the back end first pairing of Hughes-Pesce and have a solid top 3 with Hronek running the second pairing. That finally brings the defensive corps into contender position with the right mix guys filling it out (who I think we already have long term - Hirose, Willander, Pettersson, McWard, Brzustewicz)

Highly doubt CAR makes more than maybe one move going into the TDL (with their big three).. and even doubt they do that.   They were by far the better team than Florida was last playoffs.   They just got goalied.   And we're missing key guys.   Their management would be doing their fanbase a disservice after 9 consecutive seasons of no playoffs, to not be going all in this year.  And all in for them means keeping it exactly how it is.   That one move, might be just hedging their bets they can extend their cup window by an extra season.   It won't be Pesce. 

Edited by IBatch

6 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Highly doubt CAR makes more than maybe one move going into the TDL (with their big three).. and even doubt they do that.   They were by far the better team than Florida was last playoffs.   They just got goalied.   And we're missing key guys.   Their management would be doing their fanbase a disservice after 9 consecutive seasons of no playoffs, to not be going all in this year.  And all in for them means keeping it exactly how it is.   That one move, might be just hedging their bets they can extend their cup window by an extra season.   It won't be Pesce. 

Honestly, with the players they've added (Orlov, DeAngelo), it would make far, FAR more sense that they move Skej, if anyone.

Slavin, Burns

Orlov, Pesce

Jones, DeAngelo/Chatfield 

Is still a DAMN good D core (with a LOAD of solid prospects coming up) and they take another swing at a cup, and take their chances they can extend Pesce/let him walk at the end of the year. It's what I expect to happen...but you never know.

Pesce has been taken off the market apparently but I am curious about what the Canucks would look like with another Top 4 calibre defenseman.

Option #1:

LHD-Hronek

Hughes-Soucy

Cole-[Hirose, McWard, Wolanin, etc.]

Option #2

Hughes-RHD

Soucy-Hronek

Cole-[Hirose, McWard, Wolanin, etc].

With Option #1 or #2, I think the Canucks would have a pretty solid team that should be able to punch a ticket to the playoffs (with possible upset potential to make the 2nd round).      

My problem with the current Canucks' defense is that both Soucy and Cole are slated to play above where they should/would normally be.  

Hughes-Soucy (Soucy should not be on a top pairing)

Cole-Hronek (Cole should not be on a 2nd pairing)

Whoever.

Under normal circumstances, I'd advise the Canucks to just ride this year out and wait for Myers to come off the books but how we perform this year could have a significant impact on Pettersson's long term decision-making. In other words, we pretty much need to guarantee ourselves some significant progress this year if we want Pettersson (and Hronek?) to stay here long term.  

With Wallinder (RD) waiting in the wings, I would strongly recommend that the Canucks look for another top 4 calibre LD.   Have said LD form a top shut down pairing with Hronek, and then have Hughes and Soucy form another pairing.  

p.s.___________No to Pesce because we already have Hronek and Wallinder is waiting in the wings.  

p.p.s._________Hindsight is 20/20 but in retrospect, we should have ponied up more assets to trade for Hampus Lindholm instead of OEL.  Even now, if Boston decides to move towards rebuilding, I would strongly consider sacrificing the penis of my own father if it meant bringing Hampus Lindholm to the fold.

Lindholm-Hronek

Hughes-Soucy

Cole-Whoever

Which would ideally morph into.....

Hughes-Wallinder

Lindholm-Hronek

Soucy-Whoever 

At some point in the future.  

Edited by Jeremy Hronek

33 minutes ago, Jeremy Hronek said:

Pesce has been taken off the market apparently but I am curious about what the Canucks would look like with another Top 4 calibre defenseman.

Option #1:

LHD-Hronek

Hughes-Soucy

Cole-[Hirose, McWard, Wolanin, etc.]

Option #2

Hughes-RHD

Soucy-Hronek

Cole-[Hirose, McWard, Wolanin, etc].

With Option #1 or #2, I think the Canucks would have a pretty solid team that should be able to punch a ticket to the playoffs (with possible upset potential to make the 2nd round).      

My problem with the current Canucks' defense is that both Soucy and Cole are slated to play above where they should/would normally be.  

Hughes-Soucy (Soucy should not be on a top pairing)

Cole-Hronek (Cole should not be on a 2nd pairing)

Whoever.

Under normal circumstances, I'd advise the Canucks to just ride this year out and wait for Myers to come off the books but how we perform this year could have a significant impact on Pettersson's long term decision-making. In other words, we pretty much need to guarantee ourselves some significant progress this year if we want Pettersson (and Hronek?) to stay here long term.  

With Wallinder (RD) waiting in the wings, I would strongly recommend that the Canucks look for another top 4 calibre LD.   Have said LD form a top shut down pairing with Hronek, and then have Hughes and Soucy form another pairing.  

p.s.___________No to Pesce because we already have Hronek and Wallinder is waiting in the wings.  

p.p.s._________Hindsight is 20/20 but in retrospect, we should have ponied up more assets to trade for Hampus Lindholm instead of OEL.  Even now, if Boston decides to move towards rebuilding, I would strongly consider sacrificing the penis of my own father if it meant bringing Hampus Lindholm to the fold.

Lindholm-Hronek

Hughes-Soucy

Cole-Whoever

Which would ideally morph into.....

Hughes-Wallinder

Lindholm-Hronek

Soucy-Whoever 

At some point in the future.  

A little confusing, on one hand you don't want Hughes-Soucy as top pair, but you are ok with them as 2nd pair??  Only problem with that is that Hughes is our best defenseman and we just named him captain.  That's certainly not to suggest he should be relegated to 2nd pairing.  Whether we find a potent top-4 LHD to play with Hronek or not, Hughes is our #1 D no matter what.

Honestly with Cole and Soucy playing a lot of SH minutes and Hughes playing a lot of PP, Hughes is bound to make multiple shift with all three of Hronek, Soucy and Cole during a game.  I think the first month we'll see a bunch of different combo on the blueline.  Hughes found chemistry with Tanev and Schenn, so I don't see why he couldn't find chemistry with one of these 3.

We'll need to see how it plays out, I doubt we find a top-4 D this time of year.  That'll be addressed after the holiday or TDL if were in the playoff picture.

1 hour ago, timberz21 said:

A little confusing, on one hand you don't want Hughes-Soucy as top pair, but you are ok with them as 2nd pair??   Only problem with that is that Hughes is our best defenseman and we just named him captain.  That's certainly not to suggest he should be relegated to 2nd pairing.  Whether we find a potent top-4 LHD to play with Hronek or not, Hughes is our #1 D no matter what.

Honestly with Cole and Soucy playing a lot of SH minutes and Hughes playing a lot of PP, Hughes is bound to make multiple shift with all three of Hronek, Soucy and Cole during a game.  I think the first month we'll see a bunch of different combo on the blueline.  Hughes found chemistry with Tanev and Schenn, so I don't see why he couldn't find chemistry with one of these 3.

We'll need to see how it plays out, I doubt we find a top-4 D this time of year.  That'll be addressed after the holiday or TDL if were in the playoff picture.

I don't mind Hughes on a top pair but Hronek doesn't mesh well with Hughes stylistically.  In my opinion, neither Soucy nor Myers should be on a top pairing.  Hence, my suggestion of Hughes with Soucy on pair #2.  But having said that, if we got a guy like Pesce then I'd absolutely roll with Hughes-Pesce at the top pairing.  

With regards to Chris Tanev, Tanev does not look out of place at all on a top pairing.  Hence, no problem with Hughes playing with Tanev.  Could Soucy play on a top pairing?  It's possible but he hasn't done this to date, and he's 27.  Soucy has good underlying numbers but these impressive advanced stats came primarily on a 3rd pairing....and as a #4 at times.  Maybe he works out with Hughes on the top pairing but it could be risky.  

So that's just me.  I think penciling *both* Cole and Soucy on our Top 4 is very risky.........and this is at 100% health!  Teams rarely have all of their top 6 dmen at full health and so what happens if we get 1-2 key injuries back there?   So for me personally - I think we need another Top 4 d-man if the Canucks are serious about making a significant leap this season (and hence, keeping Petey happy).

21 minutes ago, Jeremy Hronek said:

I don't mind Hughes on a top pair but Hronek doesn't mesh well with Hughes stylistically.  In my opinion, neither Soucy nor Myers should be on a top pairing.  Hence, my suggestion of Hughes with Soucy on pair #2.  But having said that, if we got a guy like Pesce then I'd absolutely roll with Hughes-Pesce at the top pairing.  

With regards to Chris Tanev, Tanev does not look out of place at all on a top pairing.  Hence, no problem with Hughes playing with Tanev.  Could Soucy play on a top pairing?  It's possible but he hasn't done this to date, and he's 27.  Soucy has good underlying numbers but these impressive advanced stats came primarily on a 3rd pairing....and as a #4 at times.  Maybe he works out with Hughes on the top pairing but it could be risky.  

So that's just me.  I think penciling *both* Cole and Soucy on our Top 4 is very risky.........and this is at 100% health!  Teams rarely have all of their top 6 dmen at full health and so what happens if we get 1-2 key injuries back there?   So for me personally - I think we need another Top 4 d-man if the Canucks are serious about making a significant leap this season (and hence, keeping Petey happy).

I don't think the team sees Soucy/Cole as long term solutions to Hughes partner/the top 4. They're fixing what they can, when they can.

That said, Hughes played first pair with Luke freaking Schenn (a bottom pair/spare D) and did just fine. Either Soucy or Cole are upgrades on Schenn on everything but probably leadership. Full stop. They may not be the "ideal" first pair partner for Hughes, but they'll do for now until we can find a long term solution.

Edited by aGENT
  • Cheers 4