[GDT] Vancouver Canucks vs Edmonton Oilers, Oct 14 7PM PST, the Boeser 400

Rocket-68

After that ass kicking in the first game we all know the Oilers will be amped up but we can take advantage of that. Slow the game down in the first if we get the first goal thats even better. Like a playoff game we have to endure the first 10 minutes or so. keep it close. 0-0 is fine after the first for us. I like the ability to roll the four lines if we can. Mc Goober is best to taste the Miller line but also our fourth can do some damage to him by hitting him whenever they get the chance. Draistil needs a few hits himself after the cheap shots last game. Keep them frustrated and make them take the stupid penalties we all know they will take if we get up.

This game will show us what we have more than last game. We surprised them. The game got away from them I dont think that will happen this time but we can play with these guys. They are not that good outside of the two top players. Our depth can take over this game. Love the win but if we got a point here id take it and run to the next game.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, Huggy Bear said:

Sorry, should have asked this broadly.

What does CFF think of PDG - JTM - BB as a hard matchup line?

With last change on the road, should Tocchet try to get this line (plus Hughes & Hronek) out against McDavid? 

Don't want to sound pessimistic but I don't think that line has the speed to keep up with McDavids line.

BB honestly is not a fast player (improved but still slow), Miller is better but still not there, PDG is quicker which is why I think they have him on that line...to get in and retrieve pucks. It's not meant to be a knock on the line but putting them head to head against a speedster like McDavid might be asking a little much. If there a step or two behind we're gonna end up taking some penaties IMO.

To be fair there's not many (or any) guys in the league that are gonna be able to contain McDavid's speed. It's gonna have to be a team effort.  

Edited by Blitz-Pix
  • Cheers 1

22 minutes ago, kilgore said:

Actually I get you CRF. 

You picked that name honestly. You are still a fan rookie. A hopeful prospect having just brushed aside a few shafts of wheat on the wagon and found a spot to ride.  Its annoying but forgivable in your young journey to gaze over at the Oilers bandwagon brimming full of McJesus cult worshipers, and Cup polishers from 23 + years  ago. Its the City of Champions ffs!, and not be enamoured to the point of predicting all out victory against the team wagon you've only just hopped onto. Especially since when we last saw them at the barn dance we drank all their whisky, stole their girlfriends, and rode them out of town.  I reckon they are dang ornery about it.

But if you want to move up front in the wagon, with the big club fans, you'll refrain using terms like "this game is almost a gurantee", and "you can be sure without a shadow of a doubt will be a clear win."  talking about the opposing team.

Now you CAN say such unproven prophesies and wishful thinking when it comes to your own team.  Including that there is a giant NHL Deep State conspiracy against us.  Because there IS!!! damn you Gary!

And JFYI, if Canucks do lose, you won't be able to use your prediction to get points, or a new badge, or get a lot of praise in here crowing about it after.

I know it all doesn't make a lot of sense, but you'll get the hang of it eventually

Thank you for your thoughts I appreciate the sentiment and your point of view. I am happy to see people sticking up for one another.

I am NOT an Oilers fan, I live in Van and follow the team. What I am however is a practical thinker and doer, I am confident in my ability to read games and predict events that I am making a push as the frontrunner for this seasons "predict the score" contest.

I feel if I can make recommendations or suggestions PRE game and they come true more people will listen and respect me as an authority. Honestly to blindly support your team in the event of almost certain loss isn't valuable to fans its misleading and misinformative. 

I may be a rookie to Canucks but my predictions are based on a lot of factors which I stand behind. I hope more people come to respect my predictions.

Edited by CanucksRookieFan
  • Haha 3

44 minutes ago, -dlc- said:

"We don't like that?"

LOL "we don't give a f......lying frisbee"

So we should play a game that suits the Oilers? How big have their egos gotten that they don't see what a ridiculous mentality that is. 

Our team plays to win, period. To overcome the past few years of being trashed and to prove themselves. Oilers are gifted a reputation that they are now struggling to prove. You're #1 in the world, McDavid. Start figuring it out from within rather than making excuses and "blaming" the other team for...winning? That's rich.

The boys better keep their heads up. That Deutschlander kid has a streak of nasty in him. That slash last game could have done damage. 

Just now, Mikeyman109 said:

After that ass kicking in the first game we all know the Oilers will be amped up but we can take advantage of that. Slow the game down in the first if we get the first goal thats even better. Like a playoff game we have to endure the first 10 minutes or so. keep it close. 0-0 is fine after the first for us. I like the ability to roll the four lines if we can. Mc Goober is best to taste the Miller line but also our fourth can do some damage to him by hitting him whenever they get the chance. Draistil needs a few hits himself after the cheap shots last game. Keep them frustrated and make them take the stupid penalties we all know they will take if we get up.

This game will show us what we have more than last game. We surprised them. The game got away from them I dont think that will happen this time but we can play with these guys. They are not that good outside of the two top players. Our depth can take over this game. Love the win but if we got a point here id take it and run to the next game.

Yep, our forward depth is a strength that should put less pressure on line matching on road games.

Expect Woodcroft to send Leon and McD out against our 4th line/3rd pair, and Tocchet will try to match them with PBJ, H&H

Just now, Boudrias said:

The boys better keep their heads up. That Deutschlander kid has a streak of nasty in him. That slash last game could have done damage. 

That's the guy I'll be watching. He's got one purpose and it ain't to look good.

• Upvote 1

Will Oilers on tilt help or hurt them?

I think the start is very important...if they get a lead they'll likely be less inclined to lash out and take penalties.

If they're behind and we get the jump on them, they'll probably unravel. They may even disintegrate right before our very eyes.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

I view this game as a true test for the team. It seems rough having to face what is realistically a good team like the Oilers and win 8-1, only to have to face them again immediately after. I have a hard time not seeing the Oilers fired up and wanting revenge.

Hopefully we keep the Oilers at bay and pull off another win.

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Hopefully he cries even worse than he did on the way to the penalty box. He's just as gutless as the coward they have wearing the C.

1 minute ago, The Lock said:

I view this game as a true test for the team. It seems rough having to face what is realistically a good team like the Oilers and win 8-1, only to have to face them again immediately after. I have a hard time not seeing the Oilers fired up and wanting revenge.

Hopefully we keep the Oilers at bay and pull off another win.

A team with an AHL quality blueline and ECHL quality goalies is not a good team.   Edmonton is a joke of a franchise.

• Haha 2

13 minutes ago, Blitz-Pix said:

Don't want to sound pessimistic but I don't think that line has the speed to keep up with McDavids line.

BB honestly is not a fast player (improved but still slow), Miller is better but still not there, PDG is quicker which is why I think they have him on that line...to get in and retrieve pucks. It's not meant to be a knock on the line but putting them head to head against a speedster like McDavid might be asking a little much. If there a step or two behind we're gonna end up taking some penaties IMO.

To be fair there's not many (or any) guys in the league that are gonna be able to contain McDavid's speed. It's gonna have to be a team effort.  

All fair points re. matching speed. Only Mikheyev (and possibly Lafferty?) could catch him at speed. 

They’ll likely need to rely on positioning to keep him to the outside, and seemed successful doing so in game 1. We’ll see if they can do it again tonight, without last change at the whistles.

Thats where we’ll be most vulnerable, IMHO. Can’t send out Hirose and Juulsen after the whistles.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Huggy Bear said:

All fair points re. matching speed. Only Mikheyev (and possibly Lafferty?) could catch him at speed. 

They’ll likely need to rely on positioning to keep him to the outside, and seemed successful doing so in game 1. We’ll see if they can do it again tonight, without last change at the whistles.

Thats where we’ll be most vulnerable, IMHO. Can’t send out Hirose and Juulsen after the whistles.

Just send Joshua against him and tell him to rough him up.  It's coming knowledge that McDiver gets intimated easily and starts flopping and throwing tantrums instead of playing like a real man.

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1